This is a new analysis of an untapped and emerging niche market - the "plus size" market. Aimed at overweight and obese persons, mostly women, this is now a $21.5 billion market, 95% of which consists of clothing. However, large people need products and services other than clothing as well, constituting $1+ billion of this total. There's a significant and growing market for bariatric hospital beds, lift systems, custom furniture, household gadgets and personal care items, dating services, catalogs and websites, magazines, modeling agencies and more.
This groundbreaking report goes beyond the clothing market, examining the market's development and $ size since 1995, currently, and forecast to 2020. Plus size demographics, market trends, market structure, plus-size demographics (CDC data). market segments covereddepth: clothing, household accessories, modeling agencies, dating services, bariatric hospital beds, lift systems, wheel- chairs, books & videos, plus size magazines, websites, resource directories and guides. Includes competitor profiles of 14 plus size clothing retailers, 3 medical equipment producers, and bios of 22 plus size models. Also includes interviews with Plus Model Magazine, Amplestuff Catalog CEO.
Profiles of: Modcloth, Ashley Stewart, Lane Bryant, Catherine's, Eloqui, Hot Topic, Torrid, Forever 21, Stryker, Hill-Rom, Size Wise, Wilhemina Models, Living XL, Jag Models, more.
Table of Contents
Introduction & Study Scope
Study scope and methodology, sources used
Executive Overview of Major Findings
Highlights of all report chapters: nature & definition of the market, market potential/no. of plus size Americans, key demand factors, changing attitudes toward the obese, market size (1995-2020 F: total and by segments- clothing, modeling agencies, dating services, books, magazines, websites, medical equipment, household items), 2015-2016 outlooks and forecasts for each segment, market structure, list of major competitors.
Summary & Nature of The Market
- Definition/list of products and services catering to the obese
- why information is difficult to obtain
- where regular sizes end and plus sizes begin
- status of the size acceptance movement
- changing attitudes of retailers & designers - discussion
- key consumer age groups
- why plus size clothes are harder to make
- growth rates vs. all retail sales
- obstacles to growth, historical stigmas
- the move to online sales and more customization
- why 2015 was a watershed year
- evolution of fashion trends.
Demand Factors - Plus Size Demographics
- Summary: market potential, based on no. of obese U.S. women vs 15 years ago.
- Reasons why plus size women account for a small share of retail clothing sales despite their numbers
- Size of the average American woman, how that has changed
- CDC data & demographics of obesity (by states, regions, race, age, income, education.
- Number and percent of U.S. women who are obese: 2013
- Prevalence of obesity among adults, by select characteristics: 2013
- Prevalence of obesity among adults, by state & region: 1995-2013
- Measurement trends in women's average dress size
Market Size & Growth, Market Segments
- Summary & market definition
Market Segment Analyses
The Plus Size Clothing Market
- Profiles of the plus size customer
- Discussion: why this is a growth market for next 5 years
- Demand factors and why retailers have fallen short
- Survey findings from NPD Group, Modcloth, others
- Market Size: estimates by A.T. Kearney, IBIS World, NPD Group
- Market mix by type of clothing
- Market value & performance/growth in 2015, 2016
- 2020 market forecast by Marketdata
- NPD Group press releases and data on market size for 2014 & 2015: Discussion of market segments by age group, trends, e-commerce sales.
- Size of U.S. women's plus size apparel market: 2010-2019 F (A.T. Kearney)
- The TOTAL plus size market: clothing, products, services: 1995-2020 F (Marketdata estimates)
Non-Clothing Plus Size Products & Services Markets
Gadgets & Household Accessories Market
- Summary: who sells these items, Amplestuff catalog
- Seat belt extenders market potential
- List of the major accessories competitors
- Findings of phone interview with Bill Fabry, CEO of Amplestuff
- Company profile: Living XL (Casual Male) - sales, items sold
- Market value: 2015, Marketdata estimate
Modeling Agencies Featuring Plus Size Women
- Criteria to be a plus size model, survey by Plus Model magazine
- Pay rates for models
- Market size estimate, based on public co. revenues for Wilhemina and 17 other agencies: 2015, 2020 revenue forecasts
- Total online and off-line dating services industry and estimated share for plus size clients (websites, matchmakers, dating coaches, singles groups)
- Market value: 2015, 2020 F
- List of plus size dating organizations, by state.
Medical Equipment Market: Bariatric Beds, Lift Systems, Wheelchairs
- Scope of obesity in America, increasing need for custom equipment in hospitals and the home for the obese
- Global hospital beds market - market research firm estimates
- Market value: Marketdata estimates of bariatric beds & lift systems Sales, by major mfrs. (Stryker, Hill-Rom, Size Wise, others): 2015, 2020F
- List of wheelchair mfrs.
- Company Profile: Stryker (products sold, 2015 sales)
- Company Profile: Hill-Rom (products sold, 2015 sales)
- Company Profile: SizeWise (products sold, 2015 sales).
Plus Size Books & Videos Market
- Discussion of niche, small market
- Market value estimate
- List of some published boos dealing with size acceptance (36 titles)
Plus Size Furniture Market
- List of mfrs. of beds, office furniture, etc.
Plus Size Magazines, E-zines, Newsletters & Resource Guides
- Status of Plus size magazines: which ones went out of business, which ones remain
- Interview with Editor of leading magazine: Plus Model Magazine - circulation, annual plus size events in NYC.
Profiles of The Major Plus Size Retailers
Profiles (company address, description, plus size brands, financials if available) for:
- H & M Plus
- J.C. Penney
- Ashley Stewart
- Lane Bryant (Ascena Retail Group)
- Catherine's (Ascena Retail Group)
- Hot Topic
- Forever 21
- Wet Seal
- Charlotte Russe
- American Eagle Outfitters
Plus Size Models & Modeling Agencies
- Summary & history of the business, what designers look for
- Avg. salaries of top models
- Reasons for greater use of plus size models
- Comments by personnel at leading agencies, Miss Plus USA beauty pageant, Directory publishers, etc.
- Brief bios of some leading plus size models: Emme, Kate Dillon Levin, Lara Johnson, Marquita Pring, Tara Lynn, Whitney Thomson, Ashley Graham
- List of 22 top plus size models
- History & development of plus size modeling agencies since 1980s, Wilhemina, Ford Models
- Company Profile: Wilhemina ten20 Division (public co. revenues in 2015, Outlook, main competitors, status of the business, no. of models, clients)
- Market Size: Marketdata actual sales and estimates for Wilhemina, JAG Models, ING, Ford Models, Elite Models, 13 other agencies, total market: $ size in 2015, 2020F.
- Address list of the top plus size modeling agencies.
Reference Directory of Market Information Sources
Directory of retail and plus size trade associations, magazines, reports, published articles, websites, events, consultants and analysts, etc. - address/contact info.