This new Marketdata study examines the $3.2 billion food home delivery market-consisting of Three main sectors: healthy prepared meals and meal kits, diet food delivery, and mail order delivery of premium meats and desserts. This is an emerging high-growth niche market backed by huge venture capital investments since 2012.
The diet food delivery market and mail order premium meats and gift baskets markets are much older and well established markets, vs. the fresh and meal kits business, but the last market is the one backed by venture capital-in the hopes of disrupting the entire way that Americans shop for and prepare their meals.
The meal kits market, led by firms such as Blue Apron and Plated, has yet to face the challenge of a recession, and could be a short-lived fad fueled by affluent Milennials. Already, some companies have closed shop and a major consolidation is probably coming in the next few years-as VC firms become more picky, companies burn through their cash, and profitability is elusive.
Roughly 150 companies compete in the meal kits market, 30 in diet foods and another 30 or so in premium meats. Some ship food nationwide while others provide fresh daily delivery to local markets such as New York City and Los Angeles.
The study covers: nature/structure of the market, key demand factors, venture capital funding activity, pricing, distribution, how companies are formed and operate, customer mix and demographics, market size (2012-2015 & 2016 and 2020 forecasts), management outlooks and opinions of market growth and the competition.
Includes These Competitor Profiles: Blue Apron, Plated, Peach Dish, Munchery, Sprig, Spoonrocket, Hello Fresh, ThePurple Carrot, Omaha Steaks, Harry & David, HoneyBaked Ham, Kansas City Steaks, Allen Brothers, Lobel's of New York, Debragga & Spitler, Gold Bely, Appetizers USA, NutriSystem, The Fresh Diet.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Report Scope & Methodology
- Discussion of sources used for the research, how estimates & Forecasts are derived.
Executive Overview of Major Findings
- Summary/highlights of all report chapters: definition and nature of the market, types of meal delivery services, why demand exists, growth spurred by venture capital, market trends & issues (independent contractors), importance if Milennials, customer demographics, analysis of three market segments (dollar value 2015 & 2020F, major competitors and revenues, key metrics, recent developments: 1) Healthy/Fresh Foods/Meal Kits Delivery Market, 2) Diet Food Delivery Market, 3) Premium Meats & Desserts/Specialty Foods Mail Order Market.
Nature & Structure of The Market
- Analysis of how meal delivery services work, evolution of the meal kits market, types Of meal delivery services (software, grocery delivery, on-demand services, different generations of services: GrubHub, Doordash, Munchery, Sprig, Spoonrocket, etc.), operating models used. Industry issues: classification of independent contractors vs. regular employees, lawsuits Trends & logistics: Jumpshot Competitive Analysis report: growth rates of players, desktop Vs. mobile traffic.
The Healthy Foods/Meal Kits Delivery Market
- Summary & nature of the market: discussion: subscription models, packaging concerns, Pricing
- Market status & recent developments: Chefd funding, Spoonrocket closes, opinions of Competitors re venture capital funding and long-term prospects for success, lack of profits, Amazon.com enters the market (Amazon Fresh)
- Venture capital funding is slowing: analysis of funds raised, data from CB Insights: 2015 & 2016 funding totals for food start-ups.
Market Size & Forecasts: Marketdata estimate for 2015, 2016-2020 forecasts
- Table: Major competitors' 2015 sales
Competitor Profiles (address, history/evolution, funding, specialties, no. of meals shipped, pricing, etc.)
- Blue Apron
- Hello Fresh
- The Purple Carroet
- Peach Dish
- List of other competitors
The Diet Food Delivery Market
- Nature & Structure of The Market
- Why The Demand? - Discussion
- How Diet Food Home Delivery Services Operate: fresh vs. frozen, daily vs. weekly delivery
- How Diet Food Delivery Companies Are Formed, why some fail, start-up costs
- Number of Companies Offering The Service
- Pricing - How Much Does Diet Food Home Delivery Cost?
- Competitors, by delivery areas - distribution channels
- Customer demographics for Jenny Craig and NutriSystem
Competitors' 2015-2016 Performance
- Diet To Go
- The Fresh Diet
- NutriSystem (209-2015 sales, developments, products, outlook, customer data)
- Jenny Direct
Table: Top competitor revenues: 2012, 2014, 2015, total market value
Market Size & Growth
- Dollar sales: 2005-2020 forecasts, major market trends and effect of the last recession on major players, outlook, rationale
- 2016 projected market growth, factors affecting demand, growth drivers
- 2020 Forecast: key growth drivers and limitations,
- Table: Estimated market size: 2005-2020 forecasts
- Number of dieters in America: 1996-2015 estimates
- Percent of dieters seeking home delivery services (2005-2020), estimation formulas
- Address List of 20 major diet food delivery companies.
Premium Meats, Desserts, Specialty Foods Delivery Market
Market Summary: history of the market, how premium meats go from stockyards to the customer's table at home, different distribution channels, vertical integration.
Marketing: discussion of Omaha Steaks model and company
Market Size & Forecasts
Marketdata estimates of market size: 2015, 2016, 2020 F
Table: Major competitors, by revenues: 15 companies
- Discussion of the broader “specialty foods” market: by type stores, $ size (retail, foodservice, natural food stores)
(address, history/evolution, funding, specialties, no. of meals shipped, pricing, etc.)
- Omaha Steaks
- Allen Brothers
- Kansas City Steak Co.
- Honey-baked Ham
- Harry & David (1-800 Flowers acquisition)
- Gourmet Station
- Lobel's of New York
- Debragga & Spitler
- Appetizers USA
- Gold Bely
Reference Directory of Information Sources
List of relevant industry trade associations, market research reports, and venture capital firms