In a U.S. weight loss market that's characterized by flat to low growth, the MLM (multi-level marketing) sales model stands out as one of the few bright growth spots. Meal replacements sold by MLMs are a good fit for do-it-yourself dieters. This is a groundbreaking new analysis of the $2.5 billion MLM U.S. weight loss market.
The study covers...dollar value and growth rate of the U.S. market from 1995-2018 forecast , worldwide estimated sales of weight loss products via MLMs, number of distributors in the U.S., the nature of the MLM sales model, how it works, and why many critics argue that they are pyramid schemes, state and government regulations, why Utah is home to most MLM companies, why the business is attractive to consumers seeking a flexible home-based business, historical size of the direct selling industry, weight loss products' increasing share, effect of recessions on recruitment of distributors, average annual earnings per distributor for top 15 MLMs , effect of 1994 Dietary Nutrition Labeling Act on the market, and the current battle of William Ackman's hedge fund vs. Herbalife.
Also included: Rankings & revenues of top 15 weight loss MLMs (2012, 2013), and a Reference Directory.
Contains 25 in-depth competitor profiles for: Advocare, AMS health Sciences, Conklin Company, GNLD Intl., Herbalife Intl., Immunotec, Isagenix, Lifestyles USA, Lifewave, LovingWorks LLC, Mannatech, Morinda, Nature's Sunshine, NHT Global, Nikken Global, Pharmanex (Nu-Skin Intl.), Reliv Intl., Shaklee, Sportron, Symmetry Corp., Synergy Worldwide (Nature's Sunshine), Univera, USANA Health Sciences, Visalus (Blyth Corp.), Vollara.
Based on extensive primary & secondary research, management phone interviews, trade associations, stock analysts, SEC docs, more.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Scope of the study, Methodology, Sources Used 1-3
Executive Overview of Major Findings ($250)
- Highlights of all study chapters: nature and structure of the MLM market, How MLM/direct selling works, controversies regarding the MLM model, $ size of the World and U.S. market for weight loss products sold via MLM distributors, why recessions are good for distributor recruitment, $ size of U.S. MLM weight loss market: 1995-2018 forecast, avg. sales per distributor, top competitors sellin weight loss products via MLM channels, strategies, major market trends, short and long-term outlook.
Nature & Structure of The Market ($100)
- Definition of network marketing
- How the Multi-level marketing model works, what MLM companies sell
- Facts and demographics about direct selling
- Top reasons why people join network marketing companies
- Why most MLM companies are based in Utah
- Issues and problems with MLMs
- Government and industry regulation
- Retail nutritional supplements: role of the FDA, FTC, 1994 Nutritional Labeling & Education Act
- Trade groups: Direct Selling Association
- Allegations that some MLMs are pyramid schemes. Case study: William Ackman's Hedge fund vs. Herbalife, efforts to short the stock.
- Discussion & summary of available information
- Analysis of the last recession's effect on recruitment of MLM distributors
- Analysis of weight loss/wellness products as percent of total direct selling sales
- Average yearly sales of weight loss products per MLM distributor: data from Medifast, Herbalife, Visalus, Pharmanex, Marketdata estimates.
- Estimated direct selling $ value in the U.S: 1992-2012, annual % chg.
- Estimated number of active direct salespeople in the U.S: 1992-2012
- Estimated percent of direct sales accounted for by weight loss products, vitamins and supplements in the U.S.: 1995-2012
- Weight loss meal replacement products $ sales, by MLM channel: 2001-2011
- Weight loss OTC diet pills $ sales by MLM channel: 2001-2011
- Combined meal replacement and OTC diet pills $ sales, by MLM channel: 2001-2011
- No. of Herbalife distributors in North America: 2006-2013
- Herbalife's weight management product sales, as % total company sales: 1999-2013
- Historical estimate of some leading MLM company weight loss product sales in the U.S.: 2001-2013
- Estimated Worldwide MLM weight management product sales, by company: 2013 (25 companies)
Profiles of The Major Competitors ($495)
(Company address/contact info., history, description, products sold, prices, strategy, countries they compete in, revenues when available-actual or estimated, no. of distributors, recent developments, etc.)
- AMS health Sciences
- Conklin Company
- GNLD Intl.
- Herbalife Intl.
- Lifestyles USA
- LovingWorks LLC
- Nature's Sunshine
- NHT Global
- Pharmanex (Nu-Skin Intl.)
- Relive Intl.
- Symmetry Corp.
- Synergy Worldwide (Nature's Sunshine)
- USANA Health Sciences
- Visalus (Blyth Corp.)
Reference Directory of Sources
- Direct selling/MLM trade groups, magazines, special reports, surveys and analysts: name/address/contact information.