Amid the data driven capacity crunch faced by operators, small cells offer a
critical means to enhance network capacity and address all-important traffic
hot spots. This report assesses the current market trends and offerings by
Tier 1 network vendors, leading femto manufacturers, leading carrier Wi-Fi
manufacturers and selected DAS vendors as well as related silicon vendors.
Maravedis midyear 2011 research projects the following:
- Maravedis forecasts that the pico and carrier femto small cell market,
dominated by 4G small cells, will begin to grow in earnest in mid-to-late
2012, due to a convergence of several factors including:
- Ramp-up of LTE deployments worldwide
- Conclusion of small cell trials started in 2011
- Maturation of piccell designs announced by large OEMs in early 2011
- Availability of high performance small cell base stations from Tier-2
manufacturers based on next-generation 3G/4G multi-mode SoCs being sampled
- Maravedis estimates the small cell market will move toward U.S. $5B in
2014, approaching maturation in 2015.
- By region Maravedis sees the U.S. and Japan beginning substantial
deployments in 2012, closely followed by Europe and China.
- Maravedis sees carrier Wi-Fi, carrier femto and pico cells co-existing in
operator deployments as complimentary technologies in the short term, with
coming advances in silicon breaking down the distinctions between femto cells
and pico cells in two to three years
- Up to now, no carriers have deployed 4G LTE small cells; to date all
deployments have been 100 % macro cells.
Table of Contents
- Deployment paradigms
- A Linkage between Automation and Equipment Format?
- What about Wi-Fi?
- Chips and Enablers - An Ecosystem
Background and Situational Analysis
- What is a Small Cell?
- Defining the Small Cell Market
- Small Cell Market Overview
- Small Cell Market Dynamics and Impacts
- Solving the Capacity Crunch
- 3G or 4G Small Cells?
- Pico Cells and Femto Cells: Convergence and Divergence
- Subscriber/Bandwidth Capacity
- Small Cells or Carrier Wi-Fi or Both?
- Small cells and Carrier Wi-Fi: Findings
- Wi-Fi Pricing
- Will Carrier Wi-Fi complement small cell technology, or displace it?
Small Cell Market Forecasts
- Traffic Projections Drive Small Cell Growth
- Pico Cell Market Forecast Calculations Level of Congestion
- Level of Congestion
- Number of Base Stations
- Global Pico Cell Market Forecasts 2011 - 2016
- Leading Market Forecasts
- Regional Forecasts
- Africa, Americas, Arab States, CIS, and Europe Forecast
- Asia-Pacific Forecast
- Product Maturity
- LTE Small Cell Technology
- Analysis of Small Cell Market
- Competitive Analysis
- Potential Small-Cell Market Inhibitors