Product Code: PH 5682
"Drug discovery services market to register a CAGR of 12.1% from 2020 to 2025."
The global drug discovery services market is projected to reach USD 19.1 billion by 2025 from USD 10.7 billion in 2020, at a CAGR of 12.1% from 2020 to 2025. The growth of the industry is driven primarily by factors such as growing R&D expenditure in the pharmaceutical & biopharmaceutical industry, increasing demand for outsourcing analytical testing and clinical trial services, initiatives for research on rare diseases and orphan drugs, and focus on drug discovery. Growth in the biologics market and patent expiries will further provide opportunities in the drug discovery services industry. Developing economies are expected to offer a wide range of growth opportunities for players in the market.
"The Hit-to-Lead process segment is anticipated to grow at the fastest growth rate during the forecast period."
Based on the process, the drug discovery services market is segmented into target selection, target validation, hit-to-lead identification, lead optimization, and candidate validation. Hit-to-lead identification process is anticipated to be the fastest-growing segment due to the high outsourcing of these services to CROs by the pharmaceutical companies and the emerging advanced technologies for high-throughput screening (HTS) and H2L as well as reductions in development time.
"Medicinal Chemistry segment is estimated to account for the largest share of the drug discovery services market in 2020."
Based on type, the drug discovery services market is segmented into medicinal chemistry services, biology services, and drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics (DMPK). The medicinal chemistry services segment is estimated to account for the largest share of the drug discovery services market due to the widespread application of medicinal chemistry in various phases of preclinical drug discovery to deliver robust candidates.
"Oncology segment is anticipated to grow at the fastest growth rate during the forecast period."
Based on the therapeutic area, the drug discovery services market is segmented into oncology, cardiovascular diseases, neurology, infectious and immune system diseases, digestive system diseases, and other therapeutic areas. Of all these therapeutic segments, oncology will grow at the fastest CAGR in the drug discovery services market in 2019. The high growth of the oncology segment can be attributed to factors such as the increasing number of patients who have cancer, the subsequent increase in the demand for cancer therapies and the growing R&D expenditure by pharmaceutical companies in this therapeutic area.
"North America is expected to dominate the drug discovery services market in 2020."
North America, which includes the US and Canada, is estimated to account for the largest share of the drug discovery services market. The large share of this region can primarily be attributed to the presence of well-established CROs; rising R&D expenditure by pharmaceutical & biopharmaceutical companies and the availability of latest techniques, instruments, and facilities for drug discovery research are driving the growth of this region.
Breakdown of supply-side primary interviews, by company type, designation, and region:
- By Company Type: Tier 1 (40%) , Tier 2 (30%), and Tier 3 (30%)
- By Designation: C-level (27%), Director-level (18%), and Others (55%)
- By Region: North America (50%), Europe (20%), Asia Pacific (20%), and RoW (10%)
The key players operating in this market include: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. (US), Albany Molecular Research, Inc. (US), Charles River Laboratories International, Inc. (US), Evotec SE (Germany), Eurofins Scientific (Luxembourg), WuXi AppTec (China), GenScript Biotech Corporation (China), Jubilant Life Sciences (India), Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings (US), Piramal Enterprises Ltd. (India), Viva Biotech (China), Domainex (UK), Shanghai Medicilon, Inc. (China), TCG Lifesciences Pvt. Limited (India), Frontage Holdings (US), Pharmaceutical Product Development, LLC (US), Syngene International Ltd. (India), ChemPartner Co., Ltd (China), Aurigene Discovery Technologies Limited (A subsidiary of Dr. Reddy's, Laboratories) (India), and Selvita S.A. (Poland). Services launches, expansions, collaborations, agreements, partnerships and acquisitions are the key growth strategies followed by most players in this market.
This report studies the drug discovery services market based on the process, type, drug type, therapeutic area, company type, and region. The report also analyzes factors (such as drivers, restraints, opportunities, and trends) affecting market growth. It evaluates the opportunities and challenges in the market for stakeholders and provides details of the competitive landscape for market leaders. The report also studies micro-markets concerning their growth trends, prospects, and contributions to the total drug discovery services market. The report forecasts the revenue of the market segments concerning four major regions.
Reasons to Buy the Report:
The report provides insights on the following pointers:
- Market Penetration: Comprehensive information on the drug discovery services offered by the key 20 players in the drug discovery services market. The report analyzes the drug discovery services market by process, type, drug type, therapeutic area, company type, and region.
- Market Development: Comprehensive information about lucrative emerging markets. The report analyzes the markets for various drug discovery services, their adoption, type of applications across key geographic regions.
- Market Diversification: Exhaustive information about new services, untapped geographies, recent developments, and investments in the drug discovery services market
- Competitive Assessment: In-depth assessment of market shares and strategies of the leading players in the drug discovery services market along with a competitive leadership mapping of up to 25 players in the market.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
- 1.2 MARKET DEFINITION
- 1.3 MARKET SCOPE
- 1.3.1 MARKETS COVERED
- 1.3.2 YEARS CONSIDERED FOR THE STUDY
- 1.4 CURRENCY
- 1.5 LIMITATIONS
- 1.6 STAKEHOLDERS
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- 2.1 RESEARCH DATA
- 2.1.1 SECONDARY DATA
- 126.96.36.199 Key data from secondary sources
- 2.1.2 PRIMARY DATA
- 2.2 MARKET SIZE ESTIMATION
- 2.2.1 MARKET SIZE ESTIMATION: BOTTOM-UP APPROACH
- 2.2.2 MARKET SIZE ESTIMATION: TOP-DOWN APPROACH
- 2.2.3 GROWTH FORECAST
- 2.3 MARKET BREAKDOWN AND DATA TRIANGULATION
- 2.4 ASSUMPTIONS FOR THE STUDY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 PREMIUM INSIGHTS
- 4.1 DRUG DISCOVERY SERVICES MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.2 NORTH AMERICA: DRUG DISCOVERY SERVICES MARKET, BY DRUG TYPE & COUNTRY (2020)
- 4.3 DRUG DISCOVERY SERVICES MARKET: GEOGRAPHIC GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES
5 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 5.1 INTRODUCTION
- 5.2 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 5.2.1 DRIVERS
- 188.8.131.52 Growing R&D expenditure in the pharmaceutical & biopharmaceutical industry
- 184.108.40.206 Increasing demand for outsourcing analytical testing and clinical trial services
- 220.127.116.11 Initiatives for research on rare diseases and orphan drugs
- 18.104.22.168 Focus on drug discovery
- 5.2.2 RESTRAINTS
- 22.214.171.124 High cost of drug discovery and development
- 126.96.36.199 Stringent regulations governing drug discovery and animal usage
- 5.2.3 OPPORTUNITIES
- 188.8.131.52 Growth in the biologics market
- 184.108.40.206 Patent expiries
- 220.127.116.11 Emerging markets
- 5.2.4 TRENDS
- 18.104.22.168 Growing adoption of artificial intelligence-based tools for drug discovery
6 DRUG DISCOVERY SERVICES MARKET, BY PROCESS
- 6.1 INTRODUCTION
- 6.2 TARGET SELECTION
- 6.2.1 INCREASING DEMAND FOR PERSONALIZED MEDICINE TO SUPPORT THE GROWTH OF THIS MARKET
- 6.3 TARGET VALIDATION
- 6.3.1 RISING NUMBER OF DRUG DISCOVERY RESEARCH ACTIVITIES TO SUPPORT MARKET GROWTH
- 6.4 HIT-TO-LEAD IDENTIFICATION
- 6.4.1 HIT-TO-LEAD IDENTIFICATION IS THE LARGEST PROCESS SEGMENT IN THE MARKET
- 6.5 LEAD OPTIMIZATION
- 6.5.1 LEAD OPTIMIZATION REQUIRES STATE-OF-THE-ART INFORMATICS SYSTEMS TO FACILITATE TRANSPARENT PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
- 6.6 CANDIDATE VALIDATION
- 6.6.1 CANDIDATE VALIDATION SEGMENT TO GROW AT A HIGH CAGR DURING THE FORECAST PERIOD
7 DRUG DISCOVERY SERVICES MARKET, BY TYPE
- 7.1 INTRODUCTION
- 7.2 MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY SERVICES
- 7.2.1 WIDE APPLICATIONS OF MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY IN DRUG DISCOVERY ARE A MAJOR FACTOR DRIVING MARKET GROWTH
- 7.3 BIOLOGY SERVICES
- 7.3.1 RESTRICTIONS ON THE USAGE OF ANIMALS IN RESEARCH ACTIVITIES MAY LIMIT MARKET GROWTH
- 7.4 DRUG METABOLISM & PHARMACOKINETICS
- 7.4.1 DMPK STUDIES ARE EMPLOYED AT THE DISCOVERY, CANDIDATE SELECTION, INVESTIGATIONAL NEW DRUG, AND NEW DRUG APPLICATION STAGES
8 DRUG DISCOVERY SERVICES MARKET, BY DRUG TYPE
- 8.1 INTRODUCTION
- 8.2 SMALL-MOLECULE DRUGS
- 8.2.1 INCREASING NUMBER OF START-UPS AND NEW ENTRANTS IN THE SMALL-MOLECULE DRUGS SEGMENT WILL DRIVE THE GROWTH OF THIS MARKET DURING THE FORECAST PERIOD
- 8.3 BIOLOGIC DRUGS
- 8.3.1 HIGH SET-UP COSTS OF THE INSTRUMENTS REQUIRED FOR BIOLOGIC DRUG MANUFACTURING MAY LIMIT MARKET GROWTH TO A CERTAIN EXTENT
9 DRUG DISCOVERY SERVICES MARKET, BY THERAPEUTIC AREA
- 9.1 INTRODUCTION
- 9.2 ONCOLOGY
- 9.2.1 HIGH AND GROWING NUMBER OF RESEARCH STUDIES ON CANCER THERAPEUTICS TO SUPPORT MARKET GROWTH
- 9.3 NEUROLOGY
- 9.3.1 INCREASING NUMBER OF PATIENTS SUFFERING FROM NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS IS DRIVING MARKET GROWTH
- 9.4 INFECTIOUS AND IMMUNE SYSTEM DISEASES
- 9.4.1 EMERGENCE OF NEW INFECTIOUS DISEASES TO DRIVE MARKET GROWTH
- 9.5 DIGESTIVE SYSTEM DISEASES
- 9.5.1 AS THERE IS A HUGE POPULATION SEEKING EFFECTIVE REMEDIES FOR DIGESTIVE DISEASES, PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES ARE INVESTING SIGNIFICANTLY IN R&D FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF INNOVATIVE DRUGS
- 9.6 CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES
- 9.6.1 HIGH GLOBAL BURDEN OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES HAS INCREASED THE FOCUS ON DEVELOPING EFFECTIVE DRUGS
- 9.7 OTHER THERAPEUTIC AREAS
10 DRUG DISCOVERY SERVICES MARKET, BY COMPANY TYPE
- 10.1 INTRODUCTION
- 10.2 TIER 1 PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES
- 10.3 TIER 2 PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES
- 10.4 TIER 3 PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES
11 DRUG DISCOVERY SERVICES MARKET, BY REGION
- 11.1 INTRODUCTION
- 11.2 NORTH AMERICA
- 11.2.1 US
- 22.214.171.124 Availability of advanced R&D infrastructure has driven the growth of the US market
- 11.2.2 CANADA
- 126.96.36.199 Preference of pharmaceutical companies to conduct clinical trials in Canada to support market growth
- 11.3 EUROPE
- 11.3.1 GERMANY
- 188.8.131.52 Government support and flexible labor laws are driving the growth of the German drug discovery services market
- 11.3.2 UK
- 184.108.40.206 Investment by pharmaceutical sponsors in the UK for drug discovery services to support market growth
- 11.3.3 FRANCE
- 220.127.116.11 High number of oncology clinical trials in France to drive market growth
- 11.3.4 ITALY
- 18.104.22.168 High number of clinical trials and the low drug approval time are the major factors driving market growth
- 11.3.5 SPAIN
- 22.214.171.124 Short study start-up times and rising R&D expenditure to boost the growth of the Spanish market
- 11.3.6 REST OF EUROPE
- 11.4 ASIA PACIFIC
- 11.4.1 CHINA
- 126.96.36.199 Low cost of clinical trials and large pharmaceutical R&D footprint in China to drive market growth
- 11.4.2 INDIA
- 188.8.131.52 Low-cost services and availability of skilled workforce to support market growth in India
- 11.4.3 JAPAN
- 184.108.40.206 Government initiatives for drug innovation to support market growth in Japan
- 11.4.4 REST OF ASIA PACIFIC
- 11.5 REST OF THE WORLD
12 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 12.1 OVERVIEW
- 12.2 MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS
- 12.3 COMPETITIVE SCENARIO
- 12.3.1 PARTNERSHIPS, AGREEMENTS, AND COLLABORATIONS
- 12.3.2 SERVICE LAUNCHES
- 12.3.3 MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
- 12.3.4 EXPANSIONS
- 12.4 COMPETITIVE LEADERSHIP MAPPING
- 12.4.1 VISIONARY LEADERS
- 12.4.2 INNOVATORS
- 12.4.3 DYNAMIC DIFFERENTIATORS
- 12.4.4 EMERGING COMPANIES
13 COMPANY PROFILES
(Business overview, Services offered, Recent developments, MNM view)*
- 13.1 LABORATORY CORPORATION OF AMERICA HOLDINGS
- 13.2 EUROFINS SCIENTIFIC SE
- 13.3 CHARLES RIVER LABORATORIES INTERNATIONAL
- 13.4 EVOTEC SE
- 13.5 THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC
- 13.6 ALBANY MOLECULAR RESEARCH, INC.
- 13.7 SYNGENE INTERNATIONAL LIMITED
- 13.8 JUBILANT LIFESCIENCES
- 13.9 GENSCRIPT BIOTECH CORPORATION
- 13.10 PIRAMAL ENTERPRISES LIMITED
- 13.11 SELVITA S.A.
- 13.12 AURIGENE DISCOVERY TECHNOLOGIES (A SUBSIDIARY OF DR. REDDY'S LABORATORIES)
- 13.13 DOMAINEX LTD.
- 13.14 WUXI APPTEC
- 13.15 CHEMPARTNER CO., LTD.
- 13.16 FRONTAGE HOLDINGS
- 13.17 PHARMACEUTICAL PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, LLC
- 13.18 SHANGHAI MEDICILON, INC.
- 13.19 TCG LIFESCIENCES PVT. LIMITED
- 13.20 VIVA BIOTECH (SHANGHAI) LTD.
Business overview, Services offered, Recent developments, MNM view might not be captured in case of unlisted companies.
- 14.1 DISCUSSION GUIDE
- 14.2 KNOWLEDGE STORE: MARKETSANDMARKETS' SUBSCRIPTION PORTAL
- 14.3 AVAILABLE CUSTOMIZATIONS
- 14.4 RELATED REPORTS
- 14.5 AUTHOR DETAILS