This report analyzes the impact of growing data traffic and the changing architecture of data centers on the market forecast for Ethernet optical transceivers with a focus on the high-speed modules used in data centers. It leverages extensive historical data on shipments of Ethernet modules combined with extensive market analyst research to make projections for sales of these products in 2018-2023. The report offers a comprehensive forecast for more than 50 product categories, including 10GbE, 25GbE, 40GbE, 50GbE, 100GbE, 200GbE and 400GbE transceivers, sorted by reach and form factors. It provides a summary of technical challenges faced by high-speed transceiver suppliers, including a review of the latest products and technologies introduced by leading suppliers.
The report is based on confidential sales information and on detailed analysis of publicly available data released by leading component and equipment manufacturers along with considerable input from industry experts.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Data Center Driving Forces
The data center big picture
- The Internet of Things: The Next Big Thing?
- Inside the data center - Continuous Change
- PCI Express is also important to the interconnect community
- Data Center Traffic Mostly Internal
- The Data Center Flattens
- Data Centers Still Expanding, but some are Regional Expansions
Chapter 2: High-Speed Interconnects in Constant Transition
- Server speed drives the data center
- Switches - Supporting faster and larger networks
Powerful servers plus virtualized everything means fewer servers
- Data Center Topology and Cabling Varies
- Cable Lengths in Data Centers
Chapter 3: Datacenter Optical "Speeds and Feeds"
- What data center operators want and why?
- It's all about the SerDes; the per-lane speed
- Higher-Optical Modulation for 50GbE Lanes
- The New "N x Z" Rate Paradigm
- Ethernet PMD Variants
Electrical Interfaces for Optical Modules
- IEEE Attachment Unit Interfaces (New Nomenclature)
- Optical Internetworking Forum Interface Agreements
- VCSELs at 25Gb/s and 50Gb/s
Form Factor MSA Madness
- Two-in-One (2:1) Dual Modules: Why and Why?
Chapter 4: Forecast
- Data traffic growth in mega-datacenters accelerated in 2016
Market Forecast for Ethernet Transceivers
- Market Forecast for 25GbE and 50GbE transceivers
- Market Forecast for 40GbE transceivers
- Market Forecast for 100GbE transceivers
- Market Forecast for 200GbE and 400GbE transceivers
APPENDIX 1: Ethernet Roadmap
- The New Ethernet Roadmap
- Multi-Source Agreements (MSAs) for Ethernet PMDs
Appendix 2: Ethernet PMD Variants Described
- 25G Transceivers
- 40G Transceivers
- 50G Transceivers
- 100G Multimode Transceivers
- Single-Mode Fiber 100G Transceivers
- 200G Transceivers
- 400G Transceivers
- 400G Single-Mode Transceivers