Product Code: PHA0335
The pharmaceutical wholesale and distribution market is vital, providing access to life saving drugs to vast number of people in a timely manner. The market is large, with many opportunities for growth and development during the forecast period.
The establishment of the pharmaceutical wholesale market was driven by manufacturers wanting to outsource distribution to wholesalers to focus on core competencies of R&D and marketing. At the same time, hospitals outsourced inventory management in an effort to reduce investment in this area. These factors created a high demand for a comprehensive wholesale and distribution service.
How this report will benefit you
Read on to discover how you can exploit the future business opportunities emerging in this sector.
In this brand new 229-page report you will receive 132 charts- all unavailable elsewhere.
The 229-page report provides clear detailed insight into the leading pharmaceutical wholesale & distribution organizations. Discover the key drivers and challenges affecting the market.
By ordering and reading our brand-new report today you stay better informed and ready to act.
Global Pharmaceutical Wholesale & Distribution Market Size in 2017 and forecasts to 2027.
Global Pharmaceutical Wholesale & Distribution Market Size in 2017 and forecasts to 2027 segmented by submarket:
- Branded Drugs
- Generic Drugs
A SWOT and STEP analysis of the global pharmaceutical wholesale & distribution market
Profiles of the 20 leading pharmaceutical wholesale & distribution organizations:
- Alfresa Holdings
- Anda Inc.
- Cardinal Health
- CR Pharmaceutical
- CuraScript Special
- Fortissa Limited
- H.D. Smith
- Mawdsley-Brooks & Co. Ltd.
- MEDIPAL HOLDINGS
- Morris & Dickson Co. LLC
- North Carolina Mutual Wholesale Drug
- Prodigy Health
- Shanghai Pharmaceutical Holdings.
- Smith Drug Company
- The PHOENIX Group
- Walgreens Boots AllianceSUZUKEN
- The PHOENIX Group
- Walgreens Boots Alliance
The content of each profile differs, depending on the organization. In general, a profile gives the following information:
- Overview of the company's services and operations
- Analysis of recent financial performance - annual revenue for services, including data on operating profit and margins
- Assessment of developments - activities, acquisitions, production capacity, deals, new service offerings and collaborations
Visiongain's study is intended for anyone requiring commercial analyses for pharmaceutical wholesale & distribution market. You find data, trends and predictions.
Buy our report today Top 20 Pharmaceutical Wholesale & Distribution Organizations 2018: Branded Drugs, Generic Drugs, Leading Companies.
Visiongain is a trading partner with the US Federal Government
Table of Contents
1. Report Overview
- 1.1. Global Pharma Wholesale and Distribution Industry and Market Overview
- 1.2. How This Report Delivers
- 1.3. Questions Answered by This Analytical Report
- 1.4. Who is This Report For?
- 1.5. Methodology
- 1.6. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 1.7. Associated Visiongain Reports
- 1.8. About Visiongain
2. Introduction to Pharma Wholesale and Distribution
- 2.1. The Role of Pharmaceutical Wholesalers: The Middlemen of the Pharmaceutical Industry
- 2.1.1. Full-Line Wholesalers (FLWs)
- 2.1.2. Short-Line Wholesalers (SLWs)
- 2.2. The Chain of Distribution: Wholesalers vs. Logistic Service Providers
- 2.2.1. Secondary Wholesalers
- 2.2.2. Direct-to-Pharmacy (DTP) Distribution is Becoming More Prevalent
- 2.2.3. Major Wholesalers: Distribution of a Large Number of Products to Generate High Profits
- 2.2.4. Distribution from Large to Small Wholesalers: A Lengthy Distribution Chain
- 2.2.5. Pharmacy Benefit Managers
- 2.3. Generative Revenue and Profit
- 2.3.1. Forward Buying to Avoid Price Increases
- 2.3.2. Fee-for-Service: A Clear Pricing Structure
- 188.8.131.52. Inventory Management Agreements
- 2.3.3. Discounts: Incentives for Prompt Payment or Bulk Purchases
- 2.3.4. Reimbursement and Wholesalers
- 2.3.5. Clawback: The Recovery of Reimbursement Costs by Governments
- 2.3.6. Parallel Trade: Different Attitudes in Europe and the US
3. The World Pharmaceutical Wholesale and Distribution Market: 2016-2027
- 3.1. The World Pharmaceutical Wholesale and Distribution Market in 2016, Restricted by Government Price Reductions and Generic Substitution
- 3.2. The Pharmaceutical Wholesale and Distribution Industry: World Market Forecast, 2016-2027
- 3.3. Branded and Generic Drugs: Revenue vs. Profit, 2016-2027
- 3.3.1. Branded and Generic Drugs: Revenue Generation, 2016
- 3.3.2. Branded Drugs: Revenue Forecast, 2016-2027
- 3.3.3. Generic Drugs: Revenue Forecast, 2016-2027
4. Leading Pharma Wholesalers and Distributors In 2018: Current and Future Performance
- 4.1. McKesson: The Oldest and Largest Healthcare Services Company in the US
- 4.1.1. McKesson: Historical Performance, 2007-2017
- 4.1.2. Future Strategies: Consummate Acquisitions to Complement Existing Business or Expand Businesses
- 4.1.3. McKesson: Revenue Forecast, 2018-2028
- 4.2. Cardinal Health: The World's Third Largest Pharma Wholesaler
- 4.2.1. Cardinal Health: Historical Performance, 2010-2017
- 4.2.2. Will CVS Joint Venture and Acquisitions Stimulate Future Growth?
- 4.2.3. Cardinal Health: Revenue Forecast, 2018-2028
- 4.3. AmerisourceBergen: Third Largest Global Pharma Wholesaler and Distributor
- 4.3.1. AmerisourceBergen: Historical Performance, 2018
- 4.3.2. Will Contracts with Walgreens and Alliance Boots Drive Future Growth?
- 4.3.3. AmerisourceBergen: Revenue Forecast, 2018-2028
- 4.4. Walgreens Boots Alliance: The Largest Drugstore Chain in the US and Global Wholesale and Distribution Network
- 4.4.1. Walgreens Boots Alliance: Historical Performance, 2011-2017
- 4.4.2. Acquisitions and Future Strategies of Walgreens Boots Alliance
- 4.4.3. Walgreens Boots Alliance: Revenue Forecast, 2018-2028
- 4.5. MEDIPAL HOLDINGS CORPORATION: Japan's Leading Pharmaceutical Wholesaler
- 4.5.1. MEDIPAL HOLDINGS CORPORATION: Historical Performance, 2007-2017
- 4.5.2. Future Strategies of MEDIPAL HOLDINGS CORPORATION: Revised Business Portfolio with Diverse Sources of Earnings
- 4.5.3. MEDIPAL HOLDINGS CORPORATION: Revenue Forecast, 2018-2028
- 4.6. Phoenix Group: Biggest European Wholesalers
- 4.6.1. The PHOENIX Group: Historical Performance, 2011-2015
- 4.6.2. Future Strategies of the PHOENIX Group: Selective Acquisition
- 4.6.3. The PHOENIX Group: Revenue Forecast, 2018-2028
- 4.7. SINOPHARM: The Leading Pharmaceutical Wholesaler and Distributor in China
- 4.7.1. SINOPHARM: Historical Performance, 2011-2017
- 4.7.2. Future Strategies of SINOPHARM: Provide Comprehensive Services and Wider Business Coverage
- 4.7.3. SINOPHARM: Revenue Forecast, 2018-2028
- 4.8. Alfresa Holdings: Second Largest Pharmaceutical Wholesaler and Distributor in Japan
- 4.8.1. Alfresa Holdings: Historical Performance, 2011-2017
- 4.8.2. Future Strategy of Alfresa Holdings: To Focus on Expanding Business Fields and Increasing Footprint
- 4.8.3. Alfresa Holdings: Revenue Forecast, 2018-2028
- 4.9. SUZUKEN CO., LTD: The First Nationwide Wholesaler of Japan
- 4.9.1. SUZUKEN CO. LTD: Historical Performance, 2011-2017
- 4.9.2. Future Strategies of SUZUKEN CO., LTD: Five Growth Initiatives and Special Focus on Diabetes Field
- 4.9.3. SUZUKEN CO., LTD: Revenue Forecast, 2018-2028
- 4.10. Shanghai Pharmaceuticals Holding: China's Second Largest Wholesaler
- 4.10.1. Shanghai Pharmaceuticals Holding: Historical Performance, 2011-2017
- 4.10.2. Future Strategies of Shanghai Pharma: Expansion of Three Leading Regions in China
- 4.10.3. Shanghai Pharma: Revenue Forecast, 2018-2028
- 4.11. Morris & Dickson Co. LLC: Serving More than 175 Years
- 4.12. H.D. Smith: Largest Independent Wholesaler in the U.S.
- 4.12.1. H.D. Smith Company History:
- 4.12.2. H.D. Smith Company Business Strategies
- 4.13. Smith Drug Company: Serving More than 1400 Customers in U.S.
- 4.14. Anda Inc.
- 4.14.1. Segment Overview
- 4.14.2. Anda Inc. Strategies
- 4.15. CuraScript Specialty Distribution
- 4.15.1. Curascript Speciality Distribution Strategies:
- 4.16. Mawdsley-Brooks & Co. Ltd.
- 4.16.1. Mawdsley-Brooks & Co Company History:
- 4.16.2. Mawdsley-Brooks & Co Company Strategies
- 4.17. North Carolina Mutual Wholesale Drug: 65 years of service
- 4.17.1. Mutual Wholesale Drug Company History:
- 4.17.2. Company Strategies
- 4.18. Prodigy Health
- 4.19. Fortissa Limited: 20 years of vast experience
- 4.20. CR Pharmaceutical
- 4.20.1. Company History
- 4.20.2. Company Strategies
5. Qualitative Analysis of The Pharma Wholesale and Distribution Market
- 5.1. The Strengths and Weaknesses of the Pharma Wholesale and Distribution Market, 2016
- 5.1.1. The Insatiable Demand for Drugs: A Recession Proof Industry?
- 5.1.2. Wholesalers Do More than Deliver Drugs
- 184.108.40.206. Pre-Wholesaling: More Prevalent in Europe
- 220.127.116.11. Through Pre-Financing, Full-Line Wholesalers Finance the Entire Medicines Market
- 5.1.3. Large Companies Dominate the Market
- 5.1.4. Despite High Revenues, Profit Margins Are Low
- 5.1.5. Government-Induced Drug Price Pressures Restrict Profits
- 5.1.6. The Problem of Counterfeit Drugs
- 5.2. The Opportunities and Threats of the Pharma Wholesale and Distribution Market, 2016-2027
- 5.2.1. The Demand for Pharmaceuticals is Increasing
- 5.2.2. The Increasing Use of Specialty Drugs Will Drive Growth
- 5.2.3. The Increasing Use of Generic Drugs Will Limit Revenue, But Drive Profit Generation
- 5.2.4. The Promotion of Drug Therapy in the US
- 5.2.5. Globalisation: The Major National Markets are Dominated by Few Companies
- 5.2.6. Increased Adoption of the DTP Distribution Model
- 18.104.22.168. DTP in Europe: The First Place the Scheme Has Taken Hold
- 22.214.171.124. DTP in the UK Since 1991
- 126.96.36.199. DTP in Poland: The Second European Country to Adopt the DTP Model
- 188.8.131.52. Further Expansion of the DTP Model
- 5.2.7. The Threat of Healthcare Budget Cuts
- 184.108.40.206. Healthcare Budget Cuts in Germany
- 220.127.116.11. Healthcare Budget Cuts in France
- 18.104.22.168. Healthcare Budget Cuts in Italy
- 22.214.171.124. Healthcare Budget Cuts in Spain
- 126.96.36.199. Healthcare Budget Cuts in the UK
- 5.2.8. Do Large Pharmacy Chains Pose a Threat?
- 188.8.131.52. Case Study: Walmart and the $4 Prescription Scheme
- 184.108.40.206. Vertical Integration of Wholesalers: A Response to the Threat of Pharmacy Chains
- 5.2.9. Does the Diversion and Re-Importation of Medicines Pose a Threat to the Industry?
- 5.2.10. The Threat of Industry Consolidation
- 5.3. Social, Technological, Economic and Political Factors Influencing the Market, 2016-2027(STEP Analysis)
- 5.3.1. Political Factor: The Impact of Recent Regulatory Changes in the EU
- 5.3.2. Political Factor: Combating Counterfeit Medicines
- 220.127.116.11. The US and E-Pedigree: Becoming Law in California
- 18.104.22.168. European Pedigree Legislation
- 22.214.171.124. Anti-Counterfeiting Strategies in Other Markets: The Chinese Government is Attempting to Address the Challenge
- 126.96.36.199. Serialisation for Wholesalers: Opportunity or a Challenge?
- 6.1. The Future of the Pharma Wholesale and Distribution Market
- 6.2. The Leading National Pharma Wholesale and Distribution Markets
- 6.3. The Leading Companies in the Pharma Wholesale and Distribution Industry
- 6.4. Trends in the Pharma Wholesale and Distribution Industry
- 6.4.1. Generics Will Threaten Revenue
- 6.4.2. Manufacturers Will Deliver More Drugs Directly
- 6.4.3. There Will Be Greater Demand for Specialty Medicines
- 6.4.4. Consolidation Will Drive Growth
- 6.4.5. Anti-Counterfeiting Demands Will Add to Wholesalers' Costs
- Associated Visiongain Reports
- Visiongain Report Sales Order Form
- About Visiongain
- Visiongain Report Evaluation Form