Juniper's POS and mPOS (Point of Sale/mobile Point of Sale) research provides an assessment of the highly competitive payment terminals and mobile payment accessories market, offering comprehensive market projections and trend analysis.
Global market evaluation and sizing are provided for:
- Dedicated POS Terminals
- Contactless POS Terminals
- mPOS Accessories.
The research includes Juniper's Vendor Positioning Index, which offers a comparative assessment of the products and services offered by 17 leading players in the POS and mPOS arena, categorised in terms of the depth of their hardware offerings;
The research service also provides a set of 6 year transaction forecasts, alongside an in-depth assessment of the innovative vendor landscape and the key disruptive factors driving the POS sectors.
- Provides an extensive evaluation of the POS ecosystem, analysing the current market status across key POS segments:
- Dedicated POS (including Static & Portable Terminals)
- Contactless POS Terminals
- mPOS Accessories
- Analysis of market drivers and disruptive factors
- Key national/regional market analyses including terminal shipments and market share for 2016
- Juniper Vendor Positioning Index for the POS terminals market, analysing emerging and established POS terminal companies that are driving innovation in this space.
- Device and transaction forecasts, including volume and value projections.
- 1. What are the key factors driving this space and how are they disrupting the market?
- 2. Who are the leading players changing the POS market landscape?
- 3. What are the prospects for contactless terminals in the future?
- 4. How is mPOS adoption by merchants driving proximity payment transactions?
- 5. What segment or geographical market will drive growth over the next 5 years?
- Profiled in Juniper Vendor Positioning Index: Bitel, Castles Technology, CyberNet, Fujian Newlands, Ingenico, iZettle, Mswipe Technologies, PAX Technology, PayPal, Sage Pay, Shenzhen Xinguodu, Spire Payments, Square, SZZT Electronics, Verifone, WePay, Worldline.
- Mentioned: Alipay, Apple, Arbejdernes Landsbank, Association of Local Banks, Savings Banks and Cooperative Banks, Bambora, BanaMex, Barclays, BOKIS Partnership, Cabela's, Crate & Barrel, CSC (Centro Servizi Consortili Italia), eBay, Freecharge, Google, ICICI Bank, JP Morgan Chase, Jyske Bank, Landi, Mastercard, MDM Bank, Men's Warehouse, MobilePay, NAB, Nets, Nykredit Bank, RBI (Reserve Bank of India), Samsung, Schnucks, Spar Nord Bank, Staples, Sydbank, TouchBistro, UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India), UK Card Association, UnionPay, Vend, Visa, Vodafone, Wells Fargo, World Bank.
Data & Interactive Forecast
Juniper Research's highly granular IFxls (Interactive Forecast Excels) enable clients to manipulate Juniper's forecast data and charts to test their own assumptions, perform what-if analysis; and compare select markets side by side in customised charts and tables. IFxls greatly increase clients' ability both to understand a particular market and to integrate their own views into the model.
The forecast suite includes:
- Juniper's POS forecast suite include:
- Segment splits for POS terminals:
- Dedicated POS
- Contactless POS
- Regional data splits for 8 key regions as well as country level splits for:
- South Korea
- Market forecasts for the POS terminal installed base, transaction volume and value.
Access to the full set of forecast data of 51 tables and over 8,000 data points.
Table of Contents
1. Key Takeaways & Strategic Recommendations
- 1.2. Strategic Recommendations
2. POS: Market Status & Player Analysis
- 2.1. Introduction
- Figure 2.1: POS Terminal from Ingenico
- 2.1.1. Market Segmentation
- Figure 2.2: POS Terminals Market Segmentation
- 2.1.2. Dedicated POS
- 2.1.3. mPOS (mobile POS)
- Figure 2.3: Wireless & Physically-Connected PayPal HERE mPOS Accessories
- 2.1.4. Contactless POS
- 2.2. The POS Market in 2016
- 2.2.1. POS Infrastructure Market Status
- Figure 2.4: POS Terminals Installed Base, 2016, Split by 8 Key Regions (89.0 million)
- Figure 2.5: Global Dedicated POS Terminal Shipments 2016, Split by 8 Key Regions (33.9 million)
- Figure 2.6: Global Credit/Debit/ATM Cards in Issue, End 2016 (12.1bn cards)
- 2.2.3. Key Markets: China
- Figure 2.7: China Dedicated POS Terminals Installed Base (m), 2011-201i
- Figure 2.8: Dedicated POS Availability, 1 per x Inhabitants, 2016, Selected Markets
- Figure 2.9: GDP Per Capita Increase, Selected Markets, 2000-2015 (Baseline = 100)
- Figure 2.10: POS Shipments to/within China, 2016 (12.0m)
- 2.2.4. Key Markets: North America
- Figure 2.11: POS Terminal Shipments, North America, 2016 (6.0m)
- i. US Moves to EMV
- Figure 2.12: US Market Snapshot, 2016
- 2.2.5. Key Markets: India
- Figure 2.13: India, Dedicated POS Terminals Installed Base (m), August 2016 - April 2017
- i. Biometrics
- 2.3. Contactless Infrastructure Market Status
- 2.3.1. Regional Overview
- Figure 2.14: Contactless POS Terminals in Service as a Proportion of All POS Terminals (%), Split by 8 Key Regions, End 2016
- Figure 2.15: Contactless POS Terminals in Service, Regional Share, 2016 (25.3m terminals)
- i. National Overview
- Figure 2.16: Contactless Terminals in Service (m), Top 1O Markets, Year End 2016
- Figure 2.17: Proportion of Dedicated POS Terminals that are Contactless End Enabled (%), Leading Markets, Year End 2016
- 2.3.2. mPOS Accessory Market Status
- Figure 2.18: mPOS Companies Operations Heatmap
- 2.4. Key Trends in the Contactless Space
- 2.5. Juniper Vendor Positioning Index
- Figure 2.21:JuniperVendor Positioning Index - POS Markets
3. POS: Market Sizing & Forecasts
- 3.1. Introduction & Methodology
- 3.1.1. Market Focus
- 3.1.2. Methodology
- Figure 3.1: POS Market Forecast Methodology
- 3.2. POS Market Forecast Summary
- 3.2.1. POS Terminal Installed Base
- Figure& Table 3.2: Number of POS Terminals Installed (m), Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.2.2. Total POS Transaction Value
- Figure & Table 3.3: Total POS Transaction Value ($bn), Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.2.3. Total POS Transaction Volume
- Figure & Table 3.4: Total Number of POS Transactions Per Annum (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.3. Contactless POS: Market Forecast Summary
- 3.3.1. Contactless POS Terminals Installed Base
- Figure & Table 3.5: Number of Contactless POS Terminals Installed (m), Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.3.2. Contactless POS Transaction Value
- Figure & Table 3.6: Total Contactless POS Transaction Value ($m), Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.3.3. Contactless POS Transaction Volume
- Figure & Table 3.7: Total Number of Contactless POS Transactions Per Annum(m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.4. mPOS Market Forecast Summary
- 3.4.1. mPOS Terminal Installed Base
- Figure & Table 3.8: Number of mPOS Terminals Installed (m)Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.4.2. EMVINFC-enabled mPOS Accessories
- Figure & Table 3.9: Number of NFC-enabled mPOS Devices (m)Installed Base per annum, Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.4.3. mPOS Accessories Shipped
- Figure & Table 3.1O: Number of mPOS Devices (m) Devices Shipped per annum, Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.4.4. Device Revenues
- Figure & Table 3.11: mPOS Accessories Hardware Revenue per annum ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.4.5. mPOS Transaction Value
- Figure & Table 3.12: TotalmPOS Transaction Value ($bn) Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.4.6. mPOS Accessory Transaction Revenues
- Figure & Table 3.13: mPOS Transaction Revenues per annum ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2017-2022
- 3.4.7. mPOS Transaction Volume
- Figure & Table 3.14: Total Number of mPOS Transactions Per Annum (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021