The pivotal nature of Wi-Fi Hotspots in the emerging wireless ecosystem continues to grow.
Our new research investigates how both existing and new providers are positioning themselves for a Wi-Fi first strategy. In particular, it shows how some of the largest and most influential tech players are converging on the sector, especially Google, Facebook and Amazon, aiming to disrupt this high growth segment.
We also examine how providers will monetise this sector and how new business models will develop. Included is a global market sizing and forecast suite for the next five years.
This research includes:
- Market Trends & Opportunities (PDF)
- 5 Year Market Sizing & Forecast Spreadsheet (Excel).
- In-depth study of the key trends, challenges and drivers.
- Segment data splits for:
- Public Hotspots: Carrier Grade & Best-Efforts
- Community Hotspots: Homespots & Bizspots
- Assessment of the key players, their service offerings, and their go to market strategies.
- Business model analysis and future outlook, with insights into emerging service models such as Wi-Fi Wholesaling.
- Benchmark industry forecasts for the size and growth of the Wi-Fi hotspot market.
- 1. Where are the main deployments occurring and who are the players driving this market?
- 2. What are the key opportunities available to stakeholders within this space?
- 3. What are the emerging business models adopted by operators and service providers that will drive this sector in the future?
- 4. What are the key challenges faced by the industry?
- 5. How many public and community hotspots will be deployed over the next 5 years?
3GPP, Amazon, Apple, Arqiva, ASR, AT&T, Bandwidth X, BMW, Boingo, Bouygues Telecom, Bright House Networks, BT, Cablevision Systems, CableWiFi, Cisco, Comcast, Cox Communications, Deutsche Telekom, Devicescape, EE, Ericsson, Facebook, FCC (Federal Communications Commission), Fon, Free Mobile, FreedomPop, Globalstar, Google, GSMA, HP, IEEE, iPass, Jarvinian, Korea Telecom, Liberty Global, Meraki, Microsoft, Motorola, Netgear, Qualcomm, Republic Wireless, Ruckus Wireless, Samsung, Scandinavian Airlines, Scratch Wireless, SFR, Sky, Skype, SmarTone, Softbank, Sprint, Telstra, Three, Time Warner, T-Mobile, UPC, Verizon, Virgin, Vodacom, Vodafone, WBA (World Broadband Association), Wi-Fi Alliance.
Data & Interactive Forecast
The new Wi-Fi Hotspots forecast suite includes:
- Regional splits for 8 key regions, as well as 4 country level data splits for:
- Data splits by hotspot types:
- Public Hotspots: Split by Carrier Grade & Best-Efforts
- Community Hotspots: Split by Homespots & Bizspots
- Global public hotspot split by venue type:
- Retail & Outdoor
- Access to the full set of forecast data of 20 tables and more than 1,600 data points.
- Interactive Scenario Tool allowing users to manipulate Juniper's data for 5 different metrics.
Juniper Research's highly granular Interactive Excels (IFXLs) enable clients to manipulate Juniper's forecast data and charts to test their own assumptions by using the Interactive Scenario Tool, and compare select markets and sectors side by side in customised charts and tables. IFXLs greatly increase clients' ability to both understand a particular market and to integrate their own views into the model.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
- 1.1. Introduction
- 1.2. Market Opportunity: Forecast Summary
- Figure & Table 1.1: Installed Base of Public Wi-Fi Hotspots (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
2. Wi-Fi Hotspot Market Landscape
- 2.1. What is a Wi-Fi hotspot?
- 2.1.1. Types of Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Figure 2.1: Wi-Fi Hotspot Types: Split by Public, Private & Personal
- i. Commercial Public Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Figure 2.2: Public Hotspot
- ii. Community Public Hotspots
- Figure 2.3: Fon Hotspot Availability, Global Map
- iii. Mobile Hotspots
- iv. Wi-Fi Hotspots in Cars
- Figure 2.4: EE Buzzard 2 Car Wi-Fi Dongle
- Figure 2.5: Netgear Fuse LTE Mobile Hotspot
- Figure 2.6: BMW LTE In-Car Wi-Fi Hotspot
- v. Wi-Fi Hotspots in Trains & Planes
- 2.2. Best-Efforts & Carrier Grade Wi-Fi
- 2.3. Social Wi-Fi
- 2.4. Wi-Fi Hotspot Operators
3. Key Trends Driving the Wi-Fi Hotspot Market
- Figure 3.1: Juniper Sector Dynamics: Market Trends, Drivers & Hurdles
4. Carrier Grade Wi-Fi: Enabling Technologies
- 4.1. Introduction to Carrier Grade Wi-Fi
- Table 4.1: Key Technology Enablers of Carrier Grade Wi-Fi Networks
- 4.1.1. Advances in IEEE 802.11 Standard
- Table 4.2: Main 802.11 Technologies Compared
- 4.1.2. NGH
- 4.1.3. Hotspot 2.0/Passpoint
- 4.1.4. Next-Generation VoWi-Fi (Wi-Fi Calling)
- 4.1.5. Deployment Status & Impact of Enabling Technologies
5. The Changing Service Provider Landscape
- 5.1. Introduction
- 5.1.1. MNOs
- Figure 5.1: Proportion of Smartphone & Tablet Data Carried over Cellular & Wi-Fi Networks, 2015
- 5.1.2. Cable & Fixed-Line Telcos
- Table 5.2: Comparison of Wi-Fi-Based and Cellular-Based Mobile Models
- i. Case Study: CableWiFi
- 5.1.3. Community Hotspots
- 5.1.4. Wi-Fi Aggregators
- i. Case Study: Fon
- ii. Case Study: iPass
- 5.1.5. Big-Tech Companies
- i. Google
- ii. Facebook
- iii. Amazon
- iv. Case Study: Google Public Wi-Fi & Fi
6. Business Models
- 6.1. Introduction
- Table 6.1: Established Wi-Fi Business Models & Trends
- 6.2. Business Models
- Figure 6.2: Mobile Data Offload Value Chain
- Figure 6.3: Freewheel Service
- i. Case Study Cablevision Wi-Fi First
- Figure 6.4: T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling
- Figure 6.5: EE Wi-Fi Calling
- i. Case Study: EE Wi-Fi Calling
- Table 6.6: Emerging Wi-Fi Business Models
7. Challenges for the Wi-Fi Hotspots Market
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.2. Business Model Issues
8. Wi-Fi Hotspots: Market Forecasts & Key Takeaways
- 8.1. Introduction
- i. Public Wi-Fi Hotspots
- ii. Community Wi-Fi Hotspots
- 8.1.2. Forecast Approach
- Figure 8.1: Wi-Fi Hotspot Market Forecast Methodology
- 8.2. Public Wi-Fi Hotspots
- 8.2.1. Public Hotspots Installed Base
- Figure & Table 8.2: Number of Public Wi-Fi Hotspot Installed Base (m), Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 8.2.2. Carrier Grade Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Figure & Table 8.3: Number of Global Public Wi-Fi Hotspots (m), Split by Access Point Type 2015-2020
- 8.2.3. Public Wi-Fi Hotspots by Venue Type
- Figure & Table 8.4: Number of Global Public Wi-Fi Hotspots (m), Split by Venue Type 2015-2020
- 8.2.4. Regional Analysis
- 8.3. Community Wi-Fi Hotspots
- 8.3.1. Community Homespots: Installed Base
- Figure & Table 8.5: Installed Base of Community Wi-Fi Homespots (m), Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 8.3.2. Regional Analysis
- 8.3.3. Wi-Fi Bizspots
- Figure & Table 8.6: Installed Base of Wi-Fi Bizspots (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 8.4. Wi-Fi Hotspot Equipment Spend
- Figure 8.7: Global Wi-Fi Hotspot Equipment Spend ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020