Juniper's market leading Commerce & Fintech research provides the most comprehensive and progressive analysis of the digital commerce market.
Our Digital Retail Marketing research provides an analysis of the rapidly developing sector, offering a detailed assessment of key arenas such as couponing and advertising - including trend analysis, user numbers and retailer spend levels - forecast by sector.
The service provides a set of comprehensive 5-year forecasts, alongside an in-depth analysis of market trends and opportunities, enabling industry stakeholders to understand the implications of the key drivers and disruptive factors across the digital retail marketing sector.
- Assesses the digital retail market as a whole, providing overarching trends and key takeaways.
- Explores the evolution of the digital couponing and loyalty space.
- Tracks the 'megatrends' shaping the market, from mobile migration to hyper-personalisation.
- Strategic assessment of key industry trends including the increasing threat of ad blocking technologies.
- Forecasts for the total Digital Retail Marketing industry, as well as Digital Advertising, and Mobile & Online Coupons.
- Interviews with leading players across the value chain, including:
- Eagle Eye
- 1. What are the major trends and developments in the Digital Retail Marketing space?
- 2. What are the innovations happening in the digital advertising industry with regards to rich media, ad formats, programmatic buying etc?
- 3. How will proximity technologies such as beacons energise the couponing space?
- 4. What is the total value of the Digital Retail Marketing sector, in terms of spend?
- 5. What is hyper-personalisation, and what strategies have retailers developed to put it in place?
Alibaba, Amazon, Apple, Atlas, Bond Brand Loyalty, Boots, Breach Level Index, British Airways, Capgemini, Checkout 51, CodeBroker, Colloquy, Costco, Coupon Sherpa, CouponDunia, Coupons & Weekly Apps, Coupons, Codes, Deals & Savings, CTF (Chow Tai Fook), Cyber Group, Demandbase, Eage Eye, eBay, Facebook, Fiksu, Foursquare, Google, hoppr, House of Fraser, IAB (Internet Advertising Bureau), Imagi, Intercontinental Hotels Group, JD.com, Just Eat, Kroger, Lufthansa, Macy's, Marketing Tech Blog, Marriott, McDonald's, Morrison's, mydala.com, Netflix, PageFair, Pizza Hut, Placed, Proxama, Rakuten, RetailMeNot, Sainsbury's, Sephora, Sensoro, Shopkicks, Sky, SnipSnap, Staples, Superdrug, Target,, Technology Advice, Tesco, The Coupons App, Ticketmaster, Time Out, Twitter, Verizon, Virgin Atlantic, Waitrose, Walgreens, Walmart, WeChat, Yahoo.
Data & Interactive Forecast
Juniper's Digital Retail Marketing forecast suite includes:
- Digital couponing users, coupons issued, coupons redeemed and coupon redemption values
- Digital advertising total spend
- Total retailer spend on digital retail marketing
- Regional data splits for 8 key regions as well as country level splits for:
- Access to the full set of forecast data of 15 tables and over 1,000 data points.
Juniper Research's highly granular IFxls (interactive forecast excels) enable clients to manipulate Juniper's forecast data and charts to test their own assumptions using the Interactive Scenario Tool; and compare select markets side by side in customised charts and tables. IFxls greatly increase clients' ability to both understand a particular market and to integrate their own views into the model.
Table of Contents
Executive Summary & Core Findings 2016-2020
1. Digital Retail Marketing: Key takeaways
- 1.1 Key Takeaways
- 1.1.1 Digital Coupons
- 1.1.2 Digital Advertising
2. Introduction to Digital Retail Marketing
- 2.1 Digital Retail Marketing: Introduction
- Figure 2.1: Digital Commerce Marketing Segmentation
- Table 2.2: Leading Coupon Aggregation Apps: Downloads, Review Numbers and Average Scores, February 2016
- 2.3 New Opportunities: The Rise of the Beacon
- 2.3.1 Deployments
- 2.3.2 Beacons Beyond the Store
3. The Digital Coupons Market
- 3.1 Megatrends in Coupons
- Figure 3.1: Top 10 UK Loyalty Schemes, Active Users (m), Mid-2015
- Figure 3.2: RetailMeNot Site Visits (m), 2014-2015
- 3.2 The Rise of eRetail
- Figure 3.4: Online GMV Sales ($m), Selected Leading Online Storefronts, 2014
- Figure 3.5: B2C/C2C eCommerce Sales ($bn), Split by 8 Key Regions, 2011-2014
- i. Rise in Online Grocery Spend
4. The Digital Advertising Market
- 4.1 The Digital Advertising Ecosystem
- Figure 4.1: Juniper Research Digital Advertising Ecosystem
- 4.2 Drivers for Digital Ad Growth
- 4.3.1 Mobile Advertisements
- i. LBA (Location-based Advertising)
- 4.4 Mobile Advertising: Market Trends
- 4.5 Online Advertising: Sector Overview
- Figure 4.2: Online Advertising Channels
- 4.5.1 Online Display Advertisements
- i. Banner/Frame Advertisements
- ii. Pop-up/Pop-under
- 4.5.2 Online Ad Blockers
- i. Consumer Incentives
- Figure 4.3: Demographics of Ad Blocker Adoptees
- ii. Click Bait Advertisers
5. Digital Retail Marketing: Market Forecast Summary
- 5.1 Digital Retail Marketing Forecasts
- 5.1.1 Digital Retail Marketing Spend, Split by Channel
- Figure & Table 5.1: Digital Retail Marketing Spend ($m) Split by Coupons & Advertising 2015-2020
- 5.1.2 Digital Retail Marketing Spend, Split by 8 Key Regions
- Figure & Table 5.2: Digital Retail Marketing Spend ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 5.1.3 Total eCoupon Redemption Values
- Figure & Table 5.3: Total Redemption Value of eCoupons ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 5.1.4 Total Spend on Online Advertising
- Figure & Table 5.4: Total Spend on Desktop/Notebook Advertising ($m) Split by Key Regions 2015-2020
- 5.1.5 Total Spend on Mobile Advertising
- Figure & Table 5.5: Total Spend on Mobile (Smartphones, Featurephones, Tablets) Advertising ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
Deep Dive Data & Forecasting 2016-2020
1. Digital Retail Marketing: Market Summary
- 1.1 Introduction
- Figure 1.1: Digital Commerce Market Segmentation
- 1.2 Recent Trends & Developments in the Retail Marketing Space
- 1.2.1 Survey Provides Further Evidence for Mobile Coupon Usage
- 1.2.2 Transition from Aggregator to Retailer Specific Coupons
- Table 1.2: Leading Coupon Aggregation Apps: Downloads, Review Numbers and Average Scores, February 2016
- 1.2.3 Digital Advertising: Prevalence of Ad-Blocking Software
- 1.2.4 Facebook Pulls Its Ad-Tech project
- 1.3 Digital Retail Marketing Forecasts
- 1.3.1 Digital Retail Marketing Spend, Split by Channel
- Figure & Table 1.3: Digital Retail Marketing Spend ($m) Split by Coupons & Advertising 2015-2020
- 1.3.2 Digital Retail Marketing Spend, Split by 8 Key Regions
- Figure & Table 1.4: Digital Retail Marketing Spend ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
2. Coupons: Market Forecasts & Key Takeaways
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Forecasts Approach
- Figure 2.1: Methodology for Mobile & Online Coupons
- 2.3 Forecast Approach
- 2.4 Mobile & Online Coupons Forecasts
- 2.4.1 Total eCoupon Redemption Values
- Figure & Table 2.2: Total Redemption Value of eCoupons ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 2.4.2 Total eCoupon Redemptions, Split by Deice
- Figure & Table 2.3: Total Number of eCoupons Redeemed (m), by Device Type 2015-2020
- 2.4.3 Total Number of Mobile Coupons Redeemed
- Figure & Table 2.4: Number of Mobile Coupons Redeemed Per Annum (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 2.4.4 Total Number of Desktop/Notebook Coupons Redeemed
- Figure & Table 2.5: Number of eCoupons Delivered to Desktops/Laptops which are Redeemed (m) Split by 8 Key Regions. 2015-2020
- 2.4.5 Total eCoupons Issued, Split by Device
- Figure & Table 2.6: Mobile & Online Coupons Issued, By Delivery Device (m), 2015-2020
3. Digital Advertising: Market Forecasts & Key Takeaways
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.1.1 Display Advertisements
- i. Banner/Frame Advertisements
- ii. Pop-up/Pop-under
- iii. Trick Banners
- iv. Floating Advertisements
- v. Expanding Advertisements
- vi. Native Advertisements
- 3.2 Digital Advertising Cost Models
- 3.2.1 Cost Models
- i. CPC (Cost per Click)
- ii. CPM (Cost per Mile)
- iii. CPA (Cost per Action)
- iv. CPV (Cost per View)
- v. Sponsorship
- vi. Branded Apps
- vii. Retargeting
- 3.3 Methodology
- 3.3.1 Online Advertising
- Figure 3.1: Methodology for Mobile Advertising
- 3.4 Digital Advertising Forecasts
- 3.4.1 Total Digital Advertising Revenues
- Figure & Table 3.3: Total Spend on Digital Advertising: Mobile, Online & Wearables ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 3.4.2 Total Spend on Online Advertising
- Figure & Table 3.4: Total Spend on Desktop/Notebook Advertising ($m) Split by Key Reigns 2015-2020
- 3.4.3 Total Spend on Mobile Advertising
- Figure & Table 3.5: Total Spend on Mobile (Smartphones, Featurephones, Tablets) Advertising ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020