Juniper has been at the forefront of this sector for over twelve years, having built an unrivalled source of market intelligence and forecast data.
Our latest Digital Music research provides an essential guide to the key digital music sectors, including downloads and streaming services, as well as legacy services such as ringtones and ringback tones.
This industry-benchmark suite covers the smartphone, featurephone, tablet, and PC markets.
- Provides in-depth analysis into the current forces driving the digital music industry, covering device penetration and the growing investment into music curation.
- Provides invaluable insight into the digital music market landscape, analysing player strategies and business models.
- Presents a strategic assessment of the key industry hurdles, such as digital piracy and royalty issues, and analyses the means by which industry stakeholders are seeking to address these issues.
- Strategic review of the most important trends and opportunities in the evolving digital music sphere, from both consumer and business perspectives.
- 1. What is the scale of the digital music opportunity to 2020?
- 2. What will be the prevalent monetisation strategies/business models among digital music service providers?
- 3. Which digital music segments will see the greatest uptake and spend over the forecast period?
- 4. What are the key drivers of growth in the digital music market space?
- 5. What are the prospects for legacy services such as ringtones and ringback tones?
Amazon, Apple, BitTorrent, BPI (British Recorded Music industry), Deezer, EE, Facebook, Gaana, Google, IFPI, iHeartRadio, iRoking, Kleek, Movistar, Napster, Netflix, Pandora, Rara, Rdio, Rhapsody, RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), RIAJ (Recording Industry Association of Japan), Saavn, Samsung, Simfy, SingTel, Slacker, Songza, Spotify, The Echo Nest, Tidal, Twitter, Uber, YouTube
Data & Interactive Forecast
Juniper Research's highly granular interactive Excels enable clients to manipulate Juniper's forecast data and charts to test their own assumptions, perform scenario-based analysis; and compare select markets side by side in customised charts and tables. IFxls greatly increase clients' ability to both understand a particular market and to integrate their own views into the model.
Forecast suite includes:
- Country level data splits for Canada, Germany, Japan, South Korea, UK and US, as well as 8 key regions.
- Market Split by Service Type:
- Streaming - Subscription
- Streaming - Ad Revenue
- Legacy Services: Ringtones & Ringback Tones
- Market Split by Platform:
- Interactive Scenario tool allowing users to manipulate market data for 12 different metrics.
- Access to the full set of forecast data of more than 100 tables and 10,000 datapoints.
Table of Contents
1. The Digital Music Market
- 1.1. Introduction
- 1.2. Monetisation Models
- 1.2.1. Downloads
- 1.2.2. Streaming
- i. Subscription Based
- ii. Advertising Based
- 1.3. Key Trends in the Digital Music Market
- 1.3.1. The Continued Transformation to Digital
- Figure 1.1: Global Recorded Music Sales ($bn) Split by Distribution Format, 2004-2014
- 1.3.2. The Evolution of the Digital Market
- Figure 1.2: Comparison of the Size of Download and Streaming Markets from Inception to Evolution
- 1.3.3. Recent Expansion of Key Players
- Figure 1.3: Number of Countries Accessible by Major Streaming Providers (June 2015)
- 1.4. Drivers of the Digital Music Market
- 1.4.1. Continued Smartphone Growth
- Figure & Table 1.4: Global Smartphone Installed Base (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 1.4.2. The Increasing Importance of Tablets
- Figure & Table 1.5: Global Tablet Installed Base (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 1.4.3. Investment in Music Discovery
- 1.4.4. The Role of Social Interaction
- 1.4.5. Growth through Bundling Partnerships
- 1.4.6. The Impacts of Technology
- 1.5. Challenges to the Digital Market
- 1.5.1. The Competition of Piracy
- 1.5.2. The Limitations of Technology
- 1.5.3. Revenues for Artists and Labels
2. The Digital Music Forecasts
- 2.1. Introduction
- 2.2. Methodology
- Figure 2.1: Digital Music Forecast Methodology
- 2.3. Full Track Downloads
- Figure & Table 2.2: Total Download Volumes (m) Per Annum Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 2.3.1. Total Download Volumes
- 2.3.2. Average Price Per Download
- Figure & Table 2.3: Average Price Per Download ($) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 2.3.3. Total Download Revenues
- Figure & Table 2.4: Total Download Revenues ($m) Per Annum Spilt by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 2.4. Streaming Services
- 2.4.1. Streamed Music Service Adoption
- i. North America
- ii. Latin America
- iii. West Europe
- iv. Central & East Europe
- v. Far East & China
- vi. Indian Subcontinent
- vii. Rest of Asia Pacific
- viii. Africa & Middle East
- 2.4.2. Number of Subscription Users
- Figure & Table 2.5: Number of Subscription Users (m) Per Annum Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 2.4.3. Subscription Service Annual Revenues
- Figure & Table 2.6: Total Subscription Streaming Annual Revenues ($m) Per Annum Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 2.4.4. Number of Ad-Based Streaming Users
- Figure & Table 2.7: Number of Ad-Based Streaming Users (m) Per Annum Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 2.4.5. Ad-Based Streaming Annual Revenues
- Figure & Table 2.8: Total Ad-Based Streaming Revenues ($m) Per Annum Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 2.4.6. Total Digital Market Revenues
- Figure 2.9: Total Digital Market Revenue ($m) Comprising Downloads, Subscription Streaming & Ad-Based Streaming Per Annum Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
3. Legacy Forecasts
- 3.1. Introduction
- 3.1.1. Ringback Tones
- Figure & Table 3.1: Total Ringback Revenue Per Annum ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 3.1.2. Ringtones
- Figure & Table 3.2: Total Ringtone Revenues ($m) Per Annum Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020