Juniper Research is acknowledged as the leading analyst house in the digital commerce and FinTech sector, delivering pioneering research into payments, banking and financial services for more than a decade.
Juniper's Digital Payment Strategies research provides an essential guide to the key digital payments sectors, covering mobile, online and contactless payments.
The research comprises two documents:
- Market Trends & Opportunities (PDF)
- 5 Year Market Sizing & Forecast Spreadsheet (Excel)
- Assessment of major trends underpinning growth across digital payments.
- Impact analysis of key player activity, including card companies and service providers.
- Evaluation of disruptive technologies, ranging from wearables to HCE (Host Card Emulation)
- In-depth forecasts, including user numbers, transaction volumes and transaction values, split by payment device type, payment sector and by 8 key regions.
- 1. What impact will the rollout of Apple Pay and Samsung Pay have on the growth of NFC services?
- 2. How are social media companies approaching the digital commerce space?
- 3. Which are the leading markets for mobile wallet services?
- 4. What are the key factors driving growth in mobile and online remittance?
- 5. What is the value of digital payments today, and how much will it be worth in 5 years' time?
Alibaba, Alipay, Amazon, Amdocs, American Express, Apple, Argos, AT&T, Badoo, Bank of Tanzania, Bank of Uganda, Barclays, Bell ID, Best Buy, Bharti Airtel, BNP Paribas, BT, CardSpring, Central Bank of Kenya, Centre for Economics and Business Research, Consultative Group to Assist the Poor, Crédit Mutuel Arkéa, Deutsche Telekom, DirecTV, Disney Store, Domino's, Dunnhumby, eServGloba, Evans, Eventbrite, Facebook, FiiSmart, FitPay, Google, Groupe BPCE, GSMA, HBOS, HomeSend, House of Fraser, HSBC, Huawei, IBM, Indosat, Instagram, ITU, Jawbone, Kerv, Kickstarter, Kroger, La Banque Postale, Lenovo, Lloyds Bank, Lyra Network, M&S (Marks & Spencer), Macy's, Mahindra Comviva, MasterCard, Match.com, Maybank, Millicom, Monext, MoneyGram, Mothercare, Mozilla, MTN Group, Natixis Paiements, Neiman Marcus, Netflix, Nintendo, Nordstrom, Oberthur, Ocado, Pandora, PayPal, Pinterest, Plenty Of Fish, Point VeriFone, Postbank, Rentabiliweb, RFi Group, Safaricom, Samsung, Snapchat, Société Générale, Sony, Spotify, Square, Staples, Stripe, StubHub, Target, Telkomsel, TenCent, Tesco, Thales, Ticketmaster, Tigo, Tinder, TOPSHOP, TransferTo, Twitter, Uber, UK Card Association, UnionPay, Venmo, Visa, Visa Europe, Vodacom, WeChat, Western Union, World Bank, Worldline, WorldPay, XL, Xoom, Zapp, ZTE
Data & Interactive Forecast
Juniper's Digital Payments Strategies Forecast suite includes:
- Mobile and online transaction volume and values for the following key metrics:
- Remote digital goods and services purchases
- Remote physical goods purchases
- Contactless payments
- Forecasts are split by payment device type, payment sector, by 8 key regions and, for physical goods, by the following countries:
- Access to the full set of forecast data of 29 tables and over 2,000 data points.
- Sector Analysis and Regional Analysis tools allowing clients to compare select markets side by side in customised charts and tables.
Table of Contents
1. Key Takeaways
2. Key Trends in Digital Payments
- 2.1. Introduction
- 2.2. Key Trends in Digital Retail
- Figure 2.1: US Online Purchases, Cyber Monday 2013-2015
- Figure 2.2: Selected UK Retailer Sales via Mobile/Tablet, Hl 2015 ($m).
- 2.2.7. Key Trends in Digital Content Retail
- i. Games
- ii. TV & Video
- iii. Music
- iv. Lifestyle & Infotainment
- v. eBooks
- 2.3. Key Trends in Digital Money Transfer
- 2.3.1. Key Trends in Domestic Remittance
- Figure 2.3: Mobile Money Account vs Banking Penetration, Selected Markets, 2014 (%)
- Figure 2.4: Smartphones as Percentage of Mobile Handsets (%), Selected Emerging/Developing Markets, 2014
- 2.3.2. Key Trends in International Remittance
- Figure 2.5: Mobile/0nline Money Revenues, Selected Players, 2014 & 2015 ($m)
- 2.4. Key Trends in Contactless Payment
- Figure 2.6: Selected National Limits ($), Contactless Transactions Without PIN, End 2015
- 2.4.2. Key Player Support: Visa, MasterCard, UnionPay
- Figure 2.7: Global Credit/Debit/ATM Cards in Issue, End 2015 (11.6 billion cards)
- i. Visa payWave
- ii. MasterCard
- iii. UnionPay Contactless
- Figure 2.8: Banks with Commercial HCE Deployments, by Region, January 2016
- Figure 2.9: Apple Watch
3. Methodologies, Assumptions & Forecast Summaries
- 3.1. Digital Goods Market Sizing & Forecast Methodology
- Figure 3.1: Digital Goods, Market Forecast Methodology
- 3.2. Physical Goods Market Sizing & Forecast Methodologies
- Figure 3.2: Physical Goods, Market Forecast Methodology
- 3.3. Digital Money Transfer Market Sizing & Forecast Methodology
- 3.3.1. Indicators
- Figure 3.3: Mobile Money Transfer Market Forecast Methodology
- 3.4. Contactless Market Sizing & Forecast Methodologies
- 3.4.1. Contactless Cards
- Figure 2.4: Contactless Card Forecast Methodology
- 3.4.2. Mobile & Wearables Contactless Payments
- Figure 3.3: NFC Mobile &Wearable Retail Payments Market Forecast Methodology
- 3.5. Forecast Summary
- 3.5.1. Transaction Volumes
- Figure & Table 3.4: Total Number of Digital Transactions Per Annum (m)Split by Transaction Type 2015-2020
- Figure & Table 3.5: Total Number of Digital Transactions Per Annum (m)Split by Transaction Mechanism 2015-2020
- 3.5.2. Total Digital Payment Transaction Values
- Figure & Table 3.6: Total Digital Transaction Values Per Annum ($m) Split by Transaction Type 2015-2020
- Figure & Title 3.7: Total Digital Transaction Values Per Annum ($m) Split by Transaction Mechanism 2015-2020
4. Mobilel/Online Digital & Physical Goods Transaction Forecasts
- 4.1. Physical Goods Market
- Figure & Table 4.1: Total Unique Remote Purchasers of Physical Goods Split by Key Regions (m), 2015-2020
- 4.1.1. Total Transaction Volumes
- Figure & Table 4.2: Total Remote Purchases of Physical Goods Per Annum($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 4.1.2. Total Transaction Values
- Figure & Table 4.3: Total Remote Physical Goods Transactions ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions, 2015-2020
- 4.2. Digital Goods Market
- 4.2.1. Total Transaction Volumes
- Figure & Table 4.4: Total Remote Purchases of Digital Goods Per Annum (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 4.2.2. Total Transaction Values
5. Digital Money Transfer & Contactless Payment Forecasts
- 5.1. Digital P2P Money Transfer & Remittance Forecasts
- 5.1.1. Introduction
- i. International Remittance
- Figure 5.1: Mobile/Online Transaction Values ($m), Key Players, 2014-2015
- ii. Domestic Remittance
- 5.1.2. Money Transfer Transaction Volumes
- Figure & Table 5.2: Total P2P Digital Money Transfer & Remittance Transaction Per Annum (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 5.1.3. Money Transfer Transaction Values
- Figure & Table 5.3: Total P2P Digital Money Transfer& Remittance Transaction Value Per Annum (m)Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 5.2. Contactless Payment Forecasts
- 5.2.1. Contactless Transaction Volumes
- i. Contactless Card Transaction Volumes
- Figure & Table 5.4: Total Number of Contactless Card Transactions per Annum (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- ii. Contactless Mobile Transaction Volumes
- Figure & Table 5.5: Total Number of Contactless Mobile Retail Payments Transaction Volume per Annum (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- iii. Smart Wearable Contactless Payment Transaction Volume
- Figure & Table 5.6: Number of Smart Wearable Contactless Payment Transaction Volume (m)Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- 5.2.2. Contactless Transaction Values
- i. Contactless Card Transaction Values
- Figure & Table 5.7: Total Value of Contactless Card Transactions per Annum ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- ii. Contactless Mobile Transaction Value
- Figure & Table 5.8: Total Value of NFC Retail Payments Transactions ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2015-2020
- iii. Smart Wearable Contactless Payment Transaction Value