Juniper's Wearable Device research is the only service providing an end-to-end analysis of this fast developing segment. Our research provides analysis of key market trends, business models and a range of in-depth forecasts across a range of geographies, technologies and device vendors.
The smartwatch research service provides cutting-edge analysis and quarterly updates for this key wearables market, and is a must-have purchase for both industry leaders and start-ups looking to establish themselves in this sector.
- In-depth assessment of disruptive factors that could help or hinder adoption and development of the segment.
- Granular benchmark industry forecasts for size and growth of the smartwatch segment, split by:
- Functionality (multifunction and dashboard)
- OS (Android, iOS, Tizen, Others)
- Vendor (Apple, Huawei, LG, Pebble, Samsung, Sony, TAG Heuer, Others).
- Assessment of current smartwatch capabilities, and how this will shape the devices' use and the market in the coming years.
- Hardware and software ecosystem analysis and future prospects, including extensive examination of smartwatch business models.
- 1. What trends are both driving smart watches forward, and holding them back?
- 2. What are the prevalent business models for each player in the smartwatch ecosystem?
- 3. What kinds of software are becoming available for smartwatches and what impact is this having on usage?
- 4. What kinds of smartwatches will consumers use in the coming years?
- 5. How will the smartwatch OS and vendor landscape change over the next 5 years?
Amazon, Analog Devices, Apple, Asus, AT&T, Best Buy, Bluetooth SIG, Bosch, Bossa Studios, Breitling, Broadcom, Burg Wearables, Citizen, Cookoo, CSR, Disney, Evernote, Everywear, FaceRepo, Fitbit, Flextronics, Foxconn, Foxlink Group, Freescale, Google, Hermès, Huawei, IFTTT, Intel, InvenSense, John Lewis Partnership, Kairos, LG, Lufthansa, Martian, Microsoft, Montblanc, Motorola, Nuance, Omate, Pebble, Qualcomm, Quanta, Razer, Salesforce, Samsung, Sony, ST Microelectronics, TAG Heuer, Tizen Association, Valencell, Verizon, Vodafone, Walmart, Withings.
Data & Interactive Forecast
Juniper's Smartwatch forecast suite includes:
- Hardware, software and revenue data splits for 8 key regions and 12 countries:
- South Korea
- Smartwatch hardware segment split by:
- Multifunctional & Dashboard Smartwatches
- Device OS (Android, iOS, Tizen, Others)
- Device Vendor (Apple, Huawei, LG, Pebble, Samsung, Sony, TAG Heuer, Others)
- Smartwatch apps split by:
- Native smartwatch apps
- Smartphone-based control apps
- Interactive ‘What-If' scenario tool comprising of more than 3,500 datapoints, allied to regional and sector analysis tools, giving user the ability to manipulate Juniper's data (Interactive XL).
Juniper Research's highly granular Interactive Excels enable clients to manipulate Juniper's forecast data and charts to test their own assumptions, perform what-if analysis; and compare select markets side by side in customised charts and tables. IFxls greatly increase clients' ability to both understand a particular market and to integrate their own views into the model.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Smartwatches
- 1.1. Introduction
- 1.2. Research Scope
- 1.3. Defining Wearable Devices
- 1.3.1. Smartwatches Definition
- 1.4. Smartwatch Capabilities
- 1.4.1. Hardware Capabilities
- i. Connectivity
- Table 1.1: 2014 Android Wear Smartwatches Hardware Comparison
- Table 1.2: 2015 Android Wear Smartwatches Hardware Comparison
- Table 1.3: Other Operating System Smartwatches, 2014-2015
- ii. Case Study: Sony Wena Wrist Watch
- Figure 1.4: Sony Wena Watch Strap NFC & Fitness Tracking Components
- iii. Sensors
- iii. Sensors
- iv. Display
- Figure 1.5: Kairos T-Strap Render
- 1.4.2. Software Capabilities
- i. 0S (Operating System)
- Figure 1.6: Apple Watch Hermés Watch Faces
- ii. Apps
- Figure 1.7: Breitling B55 Connected Watch & Companion App.
- iii. Case Study: spy_watch
2. Smartwatches Market Dynamics
- 2.1. Smartwatch Sector Dynamics
- Figure 2.1: Juniper Sector Dynamics for Smartwatches
- 2.2. Key Smartwatch Market Drivers
- Figure 2.2: Samsung Gear S Smartwatches
- Figure 2.3: Moto360 2 MotoMakerinterface
- 2.3. Key Smartwatch Market Barriers
- 2.4. Key Smartwatch Market Trends
- Figure 2.4: Smartwatch & Fitness Devices Convergence Drivers
- 2.5. Smartwatch Value Chain Analysis
- 2.5.1. Ecosystem Members & Stakeholders
3. Smartwatches Market Forecasts
- 3.1. Introduction
- Figure 2.5: Component Manufacturer-Enabler Business Model...
- Figure 2.6: Hardware Vendor Business Model
- Figure 2.7: Device Revenue Business Model
- Figure 2.8: Device Revenue & Preloaded Apps Business Model.
- Figure 2.9: 0S Development Business Model
- 3.2. Forecast Methodology
- 3.2.1. Forecast Steps
- i. Analysis of the Current Market
- ii. Smartphone Penetration
- 3.2.2. Methodology for Shipments, Installed Base & Market Value of Smartwatches
- 3.2.3. Smartwatches Software Methodology
- Figure 3.1: Smartwatches Forecast Methodology
- 3.3. Smartwatches Unit Forecasts
- 3.3.1. Installed Base Forecasts
- i. Devices Installed Base
- Figure & Table 3.2: Smartwatches Installed Base (m)Split by 8 Key Regions, 2015-2020
- Table 3.3: Smartwatches Installed Base (m)Split by Multifunctional and Dashboard Watches, 2015-2020
- ii. Devices Installed Base by Operating System
- Figure & Table 3.4: Smartwatches Installed Base (m)Split by Device Operating System, 2015-2020
- iii. Devices Installed Base by Device Vendor
- Figure & Table 3.5: Smartwatches Installed Base (m)Split by Device Vendor, 2015-2020
- 3.3.2. Device Shipments Forecasts
- i. Device Shipments
- Figure & Table 3.6: Smartwatches Shipped (m) Split by 8 Key Regions, 2015-2020
- ii. Device Shipments by Operating System
- Figure & Table 3.7: Smartwatches Shipped (m) Split by Device Operating System, 2015-2020
- iii. Device Shipments by Device Vendor
- Figure & Table 3.8: Smartwatches Shipped (m) Split by Device Vendor, 2015-2020
- 3.3.3. Smartwatch Software Forecasts
- i. Apps Accessed
- Figure & Table 3.9: Smartwatch Apps Accessed per Annum (m) Split by 8 Key Regions, 2015-2020
- 3.4. Smartwatches Revenue Forecasts
- 3.4.1. Device Revenues
- Figure & Table 3.10: Smartwatch Hardware Revenue per Annum ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions, 2015-2020
- 3.4.2. Software Revenues
- Figure & Table 3.11: Smartwatch Software Revenue per Annum ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions, 2015-2020