This new research suite provides a comprehensive analysis of the A2P (Application to Person) messaging ecosystem, assessing the opportunities across primary use cases and key verticals. It also offers an in-depth exploration of hot topics within the sector, including the challenges facing network operators from grey route traffic and OTT providers such as WhatsApp and Viber.
- A2P messaging value chain analysis.
- Grey route challenge assessment.
- Key vertical deployment opportunities.
- Market forecasts for A2P message volumes, pricing and revenue opportunities, together with grey route market forecasts including revenue leakage assessment split by 8 key regions and by 13 national markets.
- 1. Which verticals have seen the heaviest usage of A2P messaging?
- 2. How can network operators address the challenge posed by grey route traffic?
- 3. Who are the largest A2P SMS aggregators?
- 4. Which OTT providers are developing solutions to compete with A2P SMS?
- 5. What is the anticipated scale of revenue leakage from grey route A2P?
AdaptiveMobile, Aicent, Alibaba, Anam Technologies, Barclays, BBM, Beepsend, Cellusys, China Mobile, Cloudmark, CLX, CM Telecom, Deutsche Telekom, EE, Facebook, Fidor, Financial Conduct Authority, Fortytwo, Gemalto, Guangzhou Qida Electronic Technology, Halifax, Infobip, KakaoTalk, Kik Messenger, LINE, Lloyds, Lyca Mobile, MACH, Mahindra Comviva, mBlox, MEF (Mobile Ecosystem Forum), mobilesquared, Mondo, Nationwide, NCC (Nigerian Communications Commission), Netsize, Nexmo, Nimbuzz, On Device Research, Openmarket, Oracle, Orange, Oxygen8, Rakuten, Safaricom, SAP, Snapchat, Sybase, Syniverse, Tata Communications, Telefonica, Telenor, textPlus, Three, tyntec, US Federal Reserve, VeriSign, Viber, Vodafone, Voltari, Vonage, WeChat, WhatsApp.
Data & Interactive Forecast
Juniper Research's highly granular IFxls (Interactive Forecast Excels) enable clients to manipulate Juniper's forecast data and charts to test their own assumptions, perform what-if analysis; and compare select markets side by side in customised charts and tables. IFxls greatly increase clients' ability both to understand a particular market and to integrate their own views into the model.
Forecast suite includes:
- Regional and national P2P (Person to Person) and A2P traffic, including data on 13 key markets (Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Russia, South Korea, Spain, UK and US).
- Traffic volumes, average pricing and values, split by directly connected A2P and grey route traffic.
- Revenue leakage from grey route traffic.
- Interactive Scenario tool allowing user the ability to manipulate Juniper's data for 5 different metrics.
- Access to the full set of forecast data of more than 2,600 data points.
Table of Contents
1. A2P Messaging: The Challenges of Engagement
- 1.2. MP Use Cases
- 1.2.1. Operator Engagement
- 1.2.2. 0ne Time Passwords
- 1.2.3. Banking
- Figure 1.1: Domestic Mobile Money Transactions, Africa & Middle East, 2012-2015 (m)
- 1.2.4. Ticketing
- 1.2.5. Healthcare
- 1.2.6. Marketing Campaigns
- 1.2.7. Content Payments
- 1.3. Why A2P Messaging?
- 1.3.1. Operator Drivers
- Figure 1.2: Operator Billed Service Revenues ($bn), Split by 8 Key Regions 2011-2015
- Table 1.3: Leading Mobile IM Service Users Bases (Active/Registered) and traffic levels, 2015-2016
- Figure 1.4: Average SMS Sent Per Month, Selected Operators, 2011-2015
- 1.3.2. Ubiquity
- Figure 1.5: Comparative Reach of Message Services (m), mid-2016
2. Key Trends in the A2P Ecosystem
- 2.2. Key Trends
- Figure 2.1:International Grey Route Traffic Process
- Figure 2.2: Asia Pacific Grey Route Traffic Share, by Industry Segment, 2015
- 2.3. The A2P Messaging Value Chain
- Figure 2.3: A2P Messaging Value Chain
- 2.3.1. SMS Aggregators
- i. Market Share
- Figure 2.4: SMS Aggregator Market Share, 2015
- 2.3.2. SMS Filter Platform Providers
3. A2P Messaging Market Forecasts & Key Takeaways
- 3.1. Introduction & Methodology
- Figure 3.1: Methodology for Assessing Size of A2P Messaging Market
- 3.2. Messaging Volumes
- 3.2.1. SMS Traffic Volumes
- Figure & Table 3.2: SMS Annual Traffic Volumes (m) By Traffic Category 2016-2021
- 3.2.2. A2P Traffic Volumes
- Figure & Table 3.3: A2P Traffic as a Proportion of SMS Traffic (%) Split By 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- Figure & Table 3.4: Total Volume of A2P Traffic (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 3.3. Grey Route Traffic Share
- Figure & Table 3.5: Proportion of A2P Traffic Which is Grey Route (%), Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- Figure & Table 3.6: Number of Grey Route Messages Sent Per Annum (m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 3.4. A2P Messaging Revenues
- 3.4.1. Direct Connectivity
- Figure & Table 3.7: Average Per Directly Connected A2P Message ($) Split by Regions 2016-2021
- Figure & Table 3.8: Total Value of Directly Connected A2P Traffic ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 3.4.2. Grey Route A2P
- Figure & Table 3.9: Average Price Per Grey Route A2P Message ($) Split by Regions 2016-2021
- Figure & Table 3.10: Total Value of Grey Route A2P Traffic ($m), Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- Figure & Table 3.11 :Total Annual A2P Revenues ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021
- 3.4.3. A2P vs P2P Revenues
- Figure & Table 3.12: Total SMS Revenues ($m) By Message Category 2016-2021
- 3.4.4. Grey Route Revenue Loss
- Figure & Table 3.13: Annual MNO Revenue Loss Attributable to Grey Route Traffic ($m) Split by 8 Key Regions 2016-2021