“Until now the potential size of the mobile broadband device market has
been uncertain, particularly the mid-market between handsets and laptops
consisting of MIDs, UMPCs, notebooks and netbooks. However smartphone
developments and the introduction of Apple' s iPad have accelerated convergence
and started to reveal the potential value these mobile devices can offer to
both consumers and enterprises alike.” David McQueen, Principal
Analyst, Handset & Devices Informa Telecoms & Media.
The fast-converging mobile broadband devices market means competing
manufacturers and suppliers of devices from handsets to laptops are on a
collision course. However, the battle for this potentially huge market will
extend to competing operating systems, application systems and involve
companies throughout the value chain. Consumer electronics manufacturers may
also decide the opportunity to enter the mobile broadband devices sector is
too good miss. The partnerships and alliances that develop will prove crucial
- with the winners being those that can meet the needs and provide the best
This research brings you right up-to-date with the network and technology
enablers driving this nascent market. Timely and detailed, it provides
analysis and five-year forecasts on all mobile broadband devices with a
cellular or WIMAX connection and screen size up to seven inches.
Latest mobile broadband devices research in a flexible format:
New Report format - designed for sharing. Delivered as a convenient set
of PDF, XLS and PPT files, this new report format gives you business critical
analysis and data that is easy to share with your colleagues.
Executive Summary Presentation (PowerPoint) - brief colleagues with a
complete overview of findings in a clear, concise PowerPoint presentation. The
file includes re-usable trend analysis, charts and graphs.
Executive Summary(PDF) - a detailed overview on the fast-converging
mobile broadband devices sector, providing the latest data-rich market
analysis of the current and likely future developments.
Data & Forecasts to 2014(Excel) - data and charts on all mobile
broadband devices featured, offering the most comprehensive and accurate
assessment of the entire market now and in the future - an ideal foundation
for your strategic planning.
Complete coverage of mobile broadband devices:
Our expert handset and devices analysts provide the most authoritative insight
and forecasts available on the mobile devices sector:
- Broadband network enablers - gives a complete picture of wireless
networking specifications and segmentation across all device connectivity
methods, from WWANs and WMANS to WLANs and WPANS. The growth in subscribers to
broadband connected networks is also analysed.
- Broadband technology enablers - a detailed market overview of all
the major mobile device components keeps you abreast of the latest trends and
innovations and how they could impact your business:
- Hardware - examines processor architecture and performance,
input, output and memory technology, plus chipset vendors per connection type
- Software - evaluates the OS and browser landscape by penetration
across different processor architectures and device form factors, in
addition to other principle software developments.
- Mobile broadband device segmentation - our analysts investigate
and redefine every device category in this fast-evolving sector: embedded
devices, attachments, MIDs and MCDs, netbooks, smartbooks, notebooks,
e-readers and USB modem sticks, providing dedicated analysis and data for each
- Consumer requirements - highlighting the importance of network
and technology trends as key enablers to satisfy the experiences of mobile
broadband devices end-users, whether social or work, this research appraises
all the current and possible trends
- Form factors - considers existing and new mobile device formats
and sizes and which could be market leaders of the future
- Market gaps - highlights possible opportunities in each sector
for application-specific mobile devices
- Company profiles - critiques the product portfolios of leading
ASPs and device vendors by network and technology, plus outlines their
important strategic alliances - a crucial aspect for future success in this
- Device roadmap and evolution - details launch timings and roadmaps
for mobile device types that are connected via broadband. Although mobile
operators have long offered mobile services to notebook computers, these were
usually expensive niche services targeted at niche vertical markets such as
logistics. That picture has changed dramatically with the arrival of
affordable mobile broadband networks, devices and services.
- Forecasts by mobile broadband device per year to 2014 - unique and
detailed annual forecasts by region per network technology and mobile device,
shows the expected size and value of each segment - crucial for business
- Scenario analysis - as buyer behaviour and innovation will dictate
the future size of each mobile device segment, our analysts offer fascinating
business models and outcomes based on differing blends of these key factors:
- Device and network technology
- Consumer perceptions
- Industry development and support
- Mobile device player profiles - company profiles outline the
product ranges, strategic alliances and future prospects for key companies
across the market.
Key insight on mobile device market issues:
This research report provides important answers to vital industry questions:
- What is the future for e-readers?
- What applications and services will mobile broadband devices have to offer
in order to convince subscribers to upgrade to them?
- Which key technologies and enablers will be at the forefront of the mobile
broadband devices revolution?
- How will new devices be distributed and what will be the role of the
- How has the iPad changed thinking and prospects for mobile devices?
- How will mobile broadband integration in devices impact on the
- Could consumer electronics companies make a big impact?
- What types of form factors could dominate future mobile devices markets?
- Will netbooks threaten the market share of smartphones and smartbooks?
- Is ‘always-on' connectivity a must-have for mobile broadband devices?
Key research for the entire mobile broadband device supply chain:
Anyone with a stake in the mobile broadband devices sector needs this research
to support them in making crucial strategic decisions.
- Top tier and mid-tier vendors - gain insights on how best to grow
market share across the fast-developing mobile devices sector
- Mobile operators - to help decide on whether to focus purely on
providing cellular connectivity rather than device distribution and the like
- Software providers - gauge the potential size of the devices market
for OS systems and other software
- Application developers - plan the most effective strategy to get
apps on the new devices
- Manufacturers and component suppliers - insights on the importance
of developing new and existing relationships and alliances
- Consumer electronics - establish the product development
opportunities in the mobile broadband devices market and the best routes to
- Internet service providers - find out who' d be best to align with
to maximise network traffic.
- South Korea
- Rest Asia Pacific (Developed)
- Rest Asia Pacific (Developing)
- West Europe
- East Europe
Africa & Middle East