This report is the second edition of the survey the current state of the
nickel market in CIS countries (Russia, Ukraine) and the world.
The purpose of the study - the analysis of nickel market.
The objects of study are the metallic nickel, ferronickel and
nickel-containing other products.
This work is a desk study. As information sources, data of
Federal Service of State Statistics (Rosstat), JSC "Russian Railways"
(statistics of rail transportation), Federal Customs Service of Russia, State
Statistics Committee of Ukraine, the UN database, the database "InfoMine".
Also, data of sectoral and regional press, annual and quarterly reports of
companies, web-sites of company-producers of nickel, ferronickel and telephone
The chronological scope of the study: 1992-2012 outlook - 2013-2020
Geography Research: Russia and the CIS - a comprehensive detailed
analysis of the market, the world - a brief description.
The volume of research: report consists of 7 Sections, contains 130 pages,
including 45 tables, 48 figures and 1 appendix.
In the first chapter of the report provides a brief overview of the
global nickel market. The Section presents data on the geological reserves of
nickel in the world, dynamics of nickel, the main producers, exports and
imports of nickel products (ores and concentrates, ferronickel, nickel metal)
prices and world consumption of nickel.
The second chapter of the report presents data on the mineral reserves
of nickel in the CIS countries (Russia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine).
The third chapter provides information on the production and processing
of nickel ores in the CIS. This chapter describes the basic technologies,
grouped data on volumes of production, indicate the sequence of changes in the
scope and content of nickel in nickel semi-products processing chain, traces
dynamics of output and describes promising projects.
The fourth chapter of the report presents data on production of nickel
in the CIS in 1992-2012 years. In this chapter are the existing regulatory
requirements on quality of various grades of nickel, presents data on volumes
of production of major manufacturers, traces dynamics of production, primarily
of nickel metal and ferronickel.
The fifth chapter is devoted to the export and import of commercial
nickel production in the CIS in 1996-2012, data on volumes and directions of
export-import of ores and concentrates, matte, metallic nickel, ferronickel
and nickel compounds. Presents a regional pattern of the supplies, presents
data on volumes of products supplied by exporters and importers. Also shown
are the export-import prices.
In the sixth chapter analyzes the domestic consumption of nickel in Russia and
the CIS. This section presents supply-demand balance of the products,
estimates sectoral structure of consumption, describes the main consumers and
use of iodine.
In the final, seventh chapter of the report presents forecast of
production and consumption of nickel in the CIS up to 2020
The Appendix presents addresses and contact information on the main
producers and consumers of nickel.
The target audience of the study:
- Nickel market participants - producers, consumers, traders;
- Potential investors.
This research claims to be a reference tool for marketing services and for
decision management solutions, working in the nickel market.
Table of Contents
1. Brief characteristics of world nickel market
- 1.1.Mineralno and raw material reserves of nickel in the world
- 1.2. Dynamics of world production, and production of nickel in 2004-2012
- 1.3. World trade of nickel products in 2004-2012
- Ores and concentrates
- Nickel Metal
- 1.4. Structure and the consumption of nickel
- 1.5. Dinamika world prices for nickel in 2004-2012
2. Mineral resources of nickel in the CIS
- Existing fields
- Promising fields
3. Extraction and processing of nickel ores in the CIS in 1992-2012
- Polar Division of OJSC "MMC" Norilsk Nickel "
- JSC "Kola Mining and Metallurgical Company"
- JSC "Ufaleynickel"
- CJSC "Rezhnikel"
- JSC "Southern Urals Nickel"
- Ltd. "Buruktal nickel plant"
- Other businesses in Russia (including projects)
- CJSC "Geotechnology"
- Ural Mining and Metallurgical Company
- Kingashskaya Mining Company (KGRK)
- GC "Russian platinum"
4. Production of salable nickel production in the CIS (1992-2012)
- 4.1. Commodity Nomenclature of nickel products to the Russian Federation
- 4.2. Dynamics of production of salable nickel production in the CIS in
- 4.3. The main company-producers of commodity nickel products in the CIS
- JSC "MMC" Norilsk Nickel "
- JSC "Southern Urals Nickel"
- JSC "Ufaleynickel"
- Ltd. "Pobuzhsky ferronickel plant"
5. Export-import of commodity nickel products in the CIS (1996-2012)
- 5.1. Russia
- 5.1.1.Rudy and concentrates
- 5.1.2.Nikelevy matte
- 5.1.3. Nickel Metal
- 5.1.5. Nickel compounds
- 5.2. Ukraine
- 5.3. Other CIS countries
- 5.4. Export-import prices in Russia and Ukraine on nickel production in
6. Nickel consumption in Russia and the CIS
- 6.1. Russia
- Production of stainless steels
- Heat-resistant steels and alloys
- Release of copper-nickel and nickel rolled
- Other applications
- 6.2. Nickel consumption in Ukraine
7. Forecast of production and consumption of nickel in the CIS up to 2020
Appendix: Contact information on the main enterprise-producers and
consumers of nickel products in the CIS
List of Tables:
- Table 1: World production of nickel ore c distribution by country (in
terms of metallic nickel) in 1997-2012, kt
- Table 2: World production of primary nickel by countries in 2007-2011, kt
- Table 3: The main company-producers on the world market of refined nickel
in 2006-2012, kt
- Table 4: Main exporters of nickel ores and concentrates in 2007-2012,
thousand t in kind
- Table 5: Major importing countries nickel ores and concentrates in
2007-2012, thousand t in kind
- Table 6: Main exporters of ferro-nickel in 2007-2012, kt
- Table 7: Major importing countries of ferronickel in 2007-2012, kt
- Table 8: Main exporters of nickel metal
- Table 9: Major importing countries of nickel metal
- Table 10: Forecasts for nickel metal, thousand $ / tonne
- Table 11: The main deposits of nickel in the CIS
- Table 12: Stocks of nickel in copper-nickel deposits MMC "OAO" Norilsk
Nickel "(as of 31.12.2011)
- Table 13: Production of nickel ores in the USSR / CIS (1991-2012) based on
- Table 14: Ore extraction in the Taimyr Peninsula in 2004-2012 by type of
ores, mln t
- Table 15: Change in the scope and content of nickel in nickel products
processing chain KGMK
- Table 16: Grades of nickel metal in the Russian Federation and the
- Table 17: Grades of ferro-nickel, produced in Russia / CIS
- Table 18: Range of current major producers of nickel-containing products
- Table 19: Production of salable nickel in the CIS in the years 1991-2012,
- Table 20: Areas of capital investment group "Norilsk Nickel" in Russian
industrial facilities in 2007-12, USD
- Table 21: Financial results of JSC "MMC" Norilsk Nickel "in 2007-2012
- Table 22: Supplies of ferronickel SUNP Russian company-consumers, kt
- Table 23: Financial results "JUzhuralnikel" for the years 2008-2012, bln.
- Table 24: Financial results "Ufaleynickel" for 2008-2012, bln.
- Table 25: Volumes and directions of supplies of nickel metal from Russia
in 1996-2012, kt
- Table 26: Major Russian companies supplying the export of nickel metal in
the years 1998-2012, kt
- Table 27: The main Russian importers of nickel in the years 2005-2012, kt
- Table 28: Company-exporters of ferro-nickel from Russia in 2007-2012, kt
- Table 29: Exports of nickel oxide and hydroxide of Russia
- Table 30: Volumes and directions of Ukraine's imports of nickel ores in
- Table 31: Fields of Ukrainian exports of ferronickel
- Table 32: Imports of nickel by other CIS countries in 2008-2012, t
- Table 33: Dynamics of export prices of ferronickel Russia and Ukraine in
2004-2012, thousand $ / t
- Table 34: Structure of consumption of nickel in the USSR (1990)
- Table 35: Supply-demand balance of nickel in Russia in the years
- Table 36: Estimates of domestic consumption of nickel in 1999-2012 years
by different companies and experts
- Table 37: Volumes of supplies of nickel and ferronickel rich companies
producing for the domestic market in 2002-2012, kt
- Table 38: Volumes of getting nickel and ferronickel rich Russian consumers
in the years 2002-2012, kt
- Table 39: Production of various types of stainless steel in Russia in
- Table 40. Production of rolled stainless steel in Russia in 1996-2012 by
main producers, kt
- Table 41: The range of copper-nickel and nickel steel, manufactured in
- Table 42: Estimated cost of nickel on the main Russian factories and the
price of nickel in 2011-2013, thousand USD / t
- Table 43: Forecast of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation for the
nickel industry in Russia for 2020, kt
- Table 44: Forecast of "Informayn" for the production and consumption of
nickel in Russia in 2020, kt
- Table 45: Optimistic outlook for production and consumption of nickel in
Russia in the years 2013-2020, kt
List of Figures:
- Figure 1: The proven global reserves of nickel in the deposits (2013), mln
- Figure 2: Share of world reserves in different types of deposits,% (nickel
stocks - 76 million tons)
- Figure 3: Diagram of the dynamics of world production of nickel ores
(based on nickel) in 2004-2012, kt
- Figure 4: Structure of production of nickel ore by main countries (in
terms of not nickel),%
- Figure 5: Dynamics of world production of primary nickel (including nickel
pig iron) in 2004-2012, mln t
- Figure 6: Production of nickel pig iron in China
- Figure 7: The largest (after China) producers of primary nickel in 2012, kt
- Figure 8: Countries - the world's major exporters of nickel ores and
concentrates (additional data for 2009-2012), billions of dollars
- Figure 9: Countries - the main importers of nickel ores and concentrates
(additional data for 2009-2012), $ billion
- Figure 10: World pattern of use of nickel products used in 2011,%
- Figure 11: Global production of stainless steel in 2001-2012, thousand t
- Figure 12: Pattern of consumption of nickel in 2012,%
- Figure 13: Average world prices for refined nickel metal for the years
1994-2012, thousand USD / t
- Figure 14. Location map of nickel ore deposits in Russia
- Figure 15: Production of nickel ores in the CIS and Russia in the years
- Figure 16: Structure extraction Russian nickel ores based on nickel (1991,
- Figure 17: Structure of the Polar Division on the extraction of ores mines
- Figure 18: Volumes of ore (million tons) and nickel in ore (tonnes) of the
Polar Division of MMC "Norilsk Nickel" in 2004-2012
- Figure 19: Flow sheet of metal of the Polar Division of OJSC "MMC" Norilsk
- Figure 20: Volumes of ore (million tons) and nickel in ore (tonnes) in
- Figure 21: Flow of "Kola MMC"
- Figure 22: Volumes of ore (million tons) and nickel in ore (tonnes) of
"Ufaleynickel" in 2004-2011
- Figure 23: Volumes of ore (million tons) and nickel in ore (tonnes) of
"Southern Urals Nickel" in 2004-2011
- Figure 24: Production of commodity nickel products to the Russian
Federation and the CIS in 1991-2012, kt
- Figure 25: Production of nickel metal units MMC "Norilsk Nickel" (Polar
Division and Kola MMC)
- Figure 26: Share of exports in the supply of nickel "MMC" Norilsk Nickel
- Figure 27: Geographic structure of proceeds from the sale of nickel "MMC"
Norilsk Nickel "(2010-2012),%
- Figure 28: Production of commercial nickel production at OJSC "Southern
Urals Nickel" in 1991-2012, kt
- Figure 29: Exports of ferronickel "SUNP" (kt) and share of exports (%) in
- Figure 30: Production of commodity nickel products
- Figure 31: Exports of ferronickel "Ufaleynickel" (kt) and share of exports
(%) in 2007-2012, kt
- Figure 32: Production of nickel in ferronickel
- Figure 33: Exports of nickel ore from Russia in 2008-2012, thousand t /
- Figure 34: Exports of nickel metal from Russia in the years 1992-2012,
thousand t / billion
- Figure 35: Distribution of nickel deliveries on the main export
destinations in 1996-2012, kt
- Figure 36: Dynamics of Russian exports of ferronickel in 1992-2012, kt
- Figure 37: Change in the geographical structure of Russian exports of
ferronickel in 2002-2012,%
- Figure 38: Exports of ferronickel from the Ukraine in the years 2001-2012,
thousand t / mln
- Figure 39: Import of metallic nickel Ukraine in 2002-2012, t
- Figure 40: Dynamics of prices of exported Russian ore deposit "Shanuch" in
China in 2008-2011, USD / t
- Figure 41: Dynamics of prices on imported nickel ore by Ukraine in
2006-2012, USD / t
- Figure 42: Dynamics of prices for Russian nickel in the years 2002-2012 in
comparison with the average world price, thousand USD / t
- Figure 43: Estimated structure of the nickel consumption in Russia
- Figure 44: Production of rolled stainless steel in Russia in 1996-2012, kt
- Figure 45: Production of rolled products of stainless steel of "CMP" in
- Figure 46: Stainless steel production in Ukraine and nickel consumption in
the years 2004-2012, kt
- Figure 47: Production of various types of steel at PJSC "DSS" in 2012, kt