Product Code: IRTNTR8164
Market outlook of the global advanced energy storage systems market
Technavio's research analyst predicts the global advanced energy storage systems market to grow steadily at a CAGR of close to 14% during the forecast period. Energy storage technology is used to store surplus electricity that can be utilized during power shortages, blackouts, and peak hours of demand. The growing demand for electricity worldwide coupled with an imminent need to reduce the demand-supply gap has prompted power utilities to adopt advanced energy storage.
The market is also witnessing a rising trend in the installations of wind and solar PVs, thus augmenting the demand for advanced energy storage. Countries worldwide are using advanced ESS to overcome the intermittent nature of renewable energy resources. However, the growth of the global advanced energy storage market is curtailed by several challenges such as cost competitiveness as these systems are expensive as compared to conventional systems.
End-user segmentation and analysis of the global advanced energy storage market
- Thermal energy storage
- Compressed air storage
- Molten salt
The thermal energy storage (TES) segment dominated the market in 2015 with a market share of close to 42%. It is gaining importance as it helps in mitigating the intermittent nature of solar PVs. TES systems play a crucial role in electricity storage through concentrating solar power (CSP) plants wherein solar heat can be stored and used for electricity production in the absence of sunlight. It helps to enhance the utilization rate of power plants by 60%-75%. It also finds key application in nuclear power storage and helps meet critical peak demand by achieving higher power outputs.
Geographical segmentation and analysis of the global advanced energy storage market
North America holds nearly 45% share of the overall installed capacity of advanced energy storage systems as of 2015. State-level participation and growing investments in grid storage projects have fueled the growth of the grid energy storage market in North America. The US government has initiated the "EV Everywhere Grand Challenge Blueprint," which promises to raise the number of EVs to one million by 2015 in a bid to reduce CO2 emissions. Adoption of EVs fosters the use of Li-Ion batteries as an efficient means of energy storage thereby reducing costs.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
Many vendors in the APAC region are making concentrated efforts to provide high-tech, customized ESS solutions for different end-user applications. This trend is likely to continue well over 2020 with many new entrants poised to enter this attractive market.
The leading vendors in the market are -
- AES Energy Storage
- EnSync Energy
- LG Chem
Other prominent vendors in the market include Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Enersys, Active Power, and Beacon Power.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2020?
- What are the key factors driving the global advanced energy storage market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the global advanced energy storage market?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in this market space?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global advanced energy storage market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, APAC, and EMEA.
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the global advanced energy storage market?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
- Market overview
- Top-vendor offerings
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market overview
- Market size and forecast
- Five forces analysis
PART 06: Market segmentation by technology
- Global advanced energy storage market by technology
- Global advanced thermal energy storage market
- Global advanced battery energy storage market
- Global CAES market
- Global molten salt energy storage market
- Global flywheels energy storage market
PART 07: Geographical segmentation
- Global advanced energy storage market by geography
- Advanced energy storage market in Americas
- Advanced energy storage market in EMEA
- Advanced energy storage market in APAC
PART 08: Market drivers
- Rise in renewable energy use
- Need to enhance grid stability and network capacity
- Need for energy storage in EVs
- Frequency regulation using advanced ESS
PART 09: Impact of drivers
PART 10: Market challenges
- Technological and assembly-related issues in Li-ion batteries
- Stringent regulatory environment in the US
- Cost competitiveness
PART 11: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 12: Market trends
- Advances in technology
- Need to mitigate issues pertaining to solar energy storage
- Government initiatives to promote advanced energy storage
- Rising number of vendors and collaborations
PART 13: Vendor landscape
- Competitive scenario
- Other prominent vendors
PART 14: Key vendor analysis
- AES Energy Storage
- LG Chem
PART 15: Appendix
PART 16: Explore Technavio
List of Exhibits
- Exhibit 01: Product offerings
- Exhibit 02: Advanced ESS
- Exhibit 03: Characteristics of different batteries
- Exhibit 04: Global advanced energy storage market
- Exhibit 05: Global advanced energy storage market by installed capacity 2015-2020 (MW)
- Exhibit 06: Global advanced energy storage market 2015-2020 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 07: Global thermal energy storage 2015
- Exhibit 08: Global Compressed Air Energy Storage
- Exhibit 09: Finalized advanced energy storage proposals for NASA
- Exhibit 10: North America advanced energy storage market 2015
- Exhibit 11: Global advanced energy storage market by technology 2015
- Exhibit 12: Global advanced energy storage by technology 2020
- Exhibit 13: Global advanced energy storage by technology 2015-2020
- Exhibit 14: Global advanced thermal energy storage 2015-2020 (MW)
- Exhibit 15: Operational solar CSP plants using thermal energy storage
- Exhibit 16: Global advanced battery energy storage market 2015-2020 (MW)
- Exhibit 17: Key advanced lead-acid battery-based ESS projects
- Exhibit 18: Global advanced compressed air storage market 2015-2020 (MW)
- Exhibit 19: Global molten salt energy storage market 2015-2020 (MW)
- Exhibit 20: Global flywheel energy storage market 2015-2020 (MW)
- Exhibit 21: Global advanced energy storage market by geography 2015
- Exhibit 22: Global advanced energy storage market by geography 2020
- Exhibit 23: Global advanced energy storage market by region 2015-2020
- Exhibit 24: Advanced energy storage market in Americas 2015-2020 (MW)
- Exhibit 25: CO2 emissions by sector 2014
- Exhibit 26: EV Everywhere Grand Challenge Blueprint program
- Exhibit 27: Proposed target for California (MW)
- Exhibit 28: Advanced energy storage market in EMEA 2015-2020 (MW)
- Exhibit 29: EV stock in major European countries 2014
- Exhibit 30: Thermal energy storage parameters in Ackermannbogen
- Exhibit 31: Advanced energy storage market in APAC (MW)
- Exhibit 32: EV stock in Japan and China 2014
- Exhibit 33: Energy storage market in China by 2020
- Exhibit 34: Advantages of smart grids
- Exhibit 35: Advantages of EVs
- Exhibit 36: Impact of drivers and challenges
- Exhibit 37: EnSync: Product segmentation
- Exhibit 38: GE: Business segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 39: GE: Business segmentation by revenue 2013 and 2014 ($ millions)
- Exhibit 40: GE: Geographical segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 41: LG Chem: Key products of mobile battery division
- Exhibit 42: LG Chem: Business segmentation by revenue 2013 and 2014 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 43: LG Chem: Geographical segmentation by revenue 2014