Product Code: IRTNTR7816
Market outlook of mega data centers
IT is now the backbone of every business, ensuring business continuity and competition, and it is prompting enterprises worldwide to invest in data centers. Technavio's market research analysts predict the global data center market to surpass revenues over USD 14 billion until 2019.
Digitalization is enabling many organizations to adopt cloud-based services for their businesses. By 2019, it is expected that 87% of SMEs will operate their businesses through the cloud by adopting the offerings from the leading cloud-based service providers in this market. Cloud computing requires higher computational power but allows for flexible, scalable, and efficient business operations. It is one of the major reasons for the construction of mega data center facilities globally.
Research scope and segmentation of the mega data center market
In this report, Technavio covers the present scenario and growth prospects of the global data center market for 2015-2019. The report considers the following criteria to be a mega data center:
- Data center type Square feet area Power consumed
- Mega >200,000 sq. ft. >10 mega watts
- Large 50,000 - 200,000 sq. ft. 1-10 mega watts
- Small <50,000 sq. ft. <1 mega watts
To calculate the market size, analysts have considered revenue generated from the CAPEX of the following IT equipment segments:
- For servers, the revenue generated by the adoption of tower, rack, blade, mission critical, and high-density servers.
- For storages, the revenue generated by the adoption of storage area networks (SANs), network-attached storage (NAS), and direct-attached storage (DAS), with storage drives such as hard disk drives (HDDs), solid-state drives (SSDs), and flash storages.
- For networks, the revenue generated from the adoption of Ethernet switches, application delivery controllers (ADCs), and WAN optimization.
Power management systems:
The revenue generated from the adoption of power management systems and their installation, which include the CAPEX used for uninterruptible power supply (UPS), generators, rack power distribution units (PDUs), transfer switches, and switchgear.
The revenue generated from the adoption of cooling equipment, which includes the installation of the room and rack/row-based cooling solutions.
The revenue generated from the construction of a data center includes the costs associated with building a well-secured facility with installed electrical and mechanical equipment. It also includes costs associated with the setup, flooring, sprinklers, piping, belts, filters, branch circuits, cabling equipment, external lighting, panels, and utility transformers and construction of internal and external walls, windows, doors, equipment installation and disposal fittings. Also, it includes the initial CAPEX used for design, architecture, and site preparation.
The revenue generated from the adoption of rack units: less than 36U, 42U, 45U, 47U, 48U, 51U, and others.
The revenue generated from the installation of physical security components such as video surveillance, biometrics, intrusion detection systems, mechanical access control devices, turnstiles, and visitor management.
The revenue generated from the purchase of software to enable network security, server and storage security, data protection, and application security.
The revenue generated from the purchase of data center infrastructure management (DCIM) software for the entire facility and software for monitoring and managing equipment.
Geographical segmentation of the global data center market
The US is the leading country for mega data center operations, followed by Europe and Asia. During the forecast period, the revenue of the global mega data center market will grow on account of growing consolidation of existing facilities to mega data centers.
Analysis of top companies of the mega data center market
- Global Switch
Other prominent vendors in this market include Amazon Web Service, Digital Realty, DuPont Fabros Technology, Equinix, IBM, QTS, and Verizon.
Key questions answered in the report
- What are the key factors driving the global mega data center market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the global mega data center market?
- What are the various opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global mega data center market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares for EMEA, APAC, and Americas?
- Key outcome of the five forces analysis on the global mega data center market?
- Growth forecast of the global mega data center market until 2019?
Technavio also offers customization on reports based on specific client requirement.
Table of Contents
PART 01: Executive summary
PART 02: Scope of the report
- Market overview
- Top-vendor offerings
PART 03: Market research methodology
- Research methodology
- Economic indicators
PART 04: Introduction
PART 05: Market landscape
- Market overview
- Market size and forecast
- Five forces analysis
PART 06: Market segmentation by IT equipment
PART 07: Market segmentation by power management solutions
PART 08: Market segmentation by cooling solutions
PART 09: Market segmentation by general construction
PART 10: Market segmentation by rack
PART 11: Market segmentation by security
PART 12: Market segmentation by infrastructure management
- Market size and forecast
PART 13: Geographical segmentation
PART 14: Market drivers
PART 15: Impact of drivers
PART 16: Market challenges
PART 17: Impact of drivers and challenges
PART 18: Market trends
PART 19: Vendor landscape
PART 20: Key vendor analysis
- Global Switch
PART 21: Appendix
PART 22: Explore Technavio
List of Exhibits
- Exhibit 01: Product offerings
- Exhibit 02: Growth of Internet
- Exhibit 03: Growth of digital media
- Exhibit 04: Data growth statistics
- Exhibit 05: Data center tier standards
- Exhibit 06: Global mega data center market 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 07: Five forces analysis
- Exhibit 08: Global mega data center market by IT equipment 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 09: Global mega data center market by power management solutions 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 10: Global mega data center market by cooling solutions 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 11: Global mega data center market by general construction 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 12: Global mega data center market by rack 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 13: Global mega data center market by security solutions 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 14: Global mega data center market by DCIM 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 15: Segmentation of global mega data center market by geography 2014
- Exhibit 16: Global data center network traffic 2014-2019 (units in Zettabytes)
- Exhibit 17: IoT generation
- Exhibit 18: Benefits of data center consolidation
- Exhibit 19: Impact of drivers
- Exhibit 20: Data center CAPEX versus OPEX ($ in millions)
- Exhibit 21: Impact of drivers and challenges
- Exhibit 22: Global SDDC market 2014-2019 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 23: Apple: Business segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 24: Apple: Business segmentation by revenue 2013 and 2014 ($ in billions)
- Exhibit 25: Apple: Geographical segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 26: Facebook: Product offerings
- Exhibit 27: Facebook: Revenue segmentation 2014
- Exhibit 28: Facebook: Revenue segmentation by revenue 2013 and 2014 ($ billions)
- Exhibit 29: Facebook: Geographical segmentation by revenue 2014
- Exhibit 30: Global Switch: Business segmentation
- Exhibit 31: Google: Geographical segmentation by revenue 2014