Product Code: FBR 0027
Food Enzymes Market Overview:
To capitalize over the growing demand for convenience food, the F&B sector added an additional front into its product portfolio with the advent of frozen, packaged, and processed food. Packaged foods items are comprised of complex molecules, which are difficult to digest naturally. With the growth in uptake of packaged foods globally, application of food enzymes developed as an inevitability for F&B companies. Food enzymes are generally used as food additives to enrich digestibility, texture, and shelf life of food and beverages. Flourishing packaged food industry combined with increased awareness among consumers regarding nutritional and health benefits of natural food enzymes has boosted the global food enzymes market size to $1,610 million as of 2018.
Food Enzymes Market Outlook:
The food enzymes market is bifurcated by type into variants such as carbohydrates, lipases, and proteases. Innovation has enabled the players to exploit several end-user industries such as bakery, dairy, beverages, meat products, and confectionery, consequently triggering the opportunities in the food enzymes market to be progressing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.90% during the forecast period 2019-2025.
Globally, top 50 groups made $92.66 billion in total confectionery products and bakery revenue in 2017 (+5.9% from 2016), 57% of which was generated by companies from America, Mexico, or Japan. An in-depth business analysis of various application in industry highlights bakery products to be holding the top rank progressing with an application CAGR of 5.70% through 2025.
A short description of operational properties of different food enzymes in bakery is-
- Amylase- Escalates the fermentation process in its highest capacity to acquire an even crumb structure and high loaf volume.
- Maltogenic alpha-amylases- Improves shelf-life of bread and cakes.
- Protease- Weakens the gluten to give plastic properties required in doughs for biscuits.
Bakery product segment of food enzymes market is leveraging the trend of fast moving consumer goods (FMCG). According to India Brand Equity Foundation, food and beverages, including bakery, account for 19% of Indian FMCG industry valued at $52.75 billion in 2017-18, and is progressing with an impeccable CAGR of 27.86% towards the mark of $103.70 billion by 2020. Similar settings are prevailing across the globe with bakery products gaining traction owing to rising urban population with increasing disposable income.
After an acute analysis of the regional market insights, North America is calculated to be the leading hub in terms of food enzyme market demand with 34% global share in 2018. The sheer affluence is attributable to emerging economies including the U.S. and Canada, and their working population assimilating packaged, frozen and processed food as their staple diet.
The booming trend of fast-food in North America has augmented the trade of cheese, indirectly impacting the market of protease food enzyme. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2016, one out of three Americans (36%) consumed a meal at fast-food eateries on any given day. Some of the leading fast-food chains across the U.S are McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino's Pizza and Burger Kings. Application of cheese in these F&B giants can be indicated by the fact that Leprino Foods, a leading market player, often rated as America's all-time monopolist, manages to converge an annual revenue of $3 billion by supplying mozzarella cheese to Pizza Hut, Domino's, and Papa John's.
Similarly, McDonald's for their buns claims to apply enzymes such as amylases. And KFC, the world's most popular chicken restaurant chain is now operating in 135 countries with more than 22,000 restaurants globally. Hence, the trend of processed food supplemented by retail outlets in North America is projecting the food enzyme market towards exponential growth.
Food Enzymes Market Trends and Growth Drivers:
- A major trend disrupting food enzyme market is technological developments for the production of enzymes from genetically engineered organisms. Rapid developments in biotechnology have generated numerous enzymes operational for the baking industry. Increasing range of products is augmenting the exploitation of numerous untapped sectors, augmenting opportunities to be capitalized upon by the food enzymes market.
- The subject of genetic engineering may play a critical role in providing future innovation to supplement industry. Enzymes, as proteins, are not genetically engineered as their host organism but the industry is expected to shift towards genetically manufactured enzymes. The tools available from the biotechnology studies can have a tremendous impact on cost, specificity of an enzyme and manufacturing efficiency in future. Research is being done to find the new applications of prevailing enzymes for detailed nutritional benefits. A lipase has been shown to diminish serum triglycerides in individuals and is under advance examination, as cited by the U.S. Patent 9,555,083. Many of the nutritional deficit concerns could be addressed with enzymes.
- With demand for natural products pacing up, the imperatives of food enzymes is probable to increase outpacing chemical additives. The importance of enzymes is likely to increase as consumers are opting for more natural products. For instance, enzymes can be employed to substitute potassium bromate, a chemical additive that has been banned in various countries.
- Increasing consumption of beer is a mega-trend on which the food enzyme market is profitably capitalizing. All of the principal enzymes such as amylases, proteases, glucanase, and cellulase are crucial for beer production process. According to the Brewers Association, the overall beer market of the U.S. worth $114.2 billion as of 2018. Enzymes being an integral part of production is set to capitalize over increasing beer consumption pattern tailored by trend such as 'weekends' and 'party-culture'.
- Robustly growing retail chains such as Walmart and Reliance Fresh supplemented by virtual retail shelves by Amazon and Costco has uplifted the sales of packaged food items, delivering undying demand to food enzyme market globally. Food enzymes enhances the appealing appearance of food and shelf life of products.
Food Enzyme Market Challenges:
The health associated adverse effects of certain enzymes is prevailing as a major challenge for the food enzymes market growth. The European Union recently enforced a guideline concerning about health risks linked with enzymes in F&B sector. However, with influx of investments into R&D, the manufacturing companies are focusing on developing products with regulated adverse effects.
Food Enzymes Market
Food Enzyme Market Players Perspective:
Some of the key players operating in the global food enzyme market are Royal DSM N.V, EI DuPont DE Nemours & Co., Novozymes A/S, Chr Hansen A/S, Biocatalyst limited, AB enzymes GMBH, Kerry group PLCAum Enzymes, Amano Enzyme Inc., and Enmex SA DE CV.
Food Enzyme Market Research Scope:
The base year of the study is 2018, with forecast done up to 2025. The study presents a thorough analysis of the competitive landscape, taking into account the market shares of the leading companies. It also provides information on unit shipments. These provide the key market participants with the necessary business intelligence and help them understand the future of the food enzyme market. The assessment includes the forecast, an overview of the competitive structure, the market shares of the competitors, as well as the market trends, market demands, market drivers, market challenges, and product analysis. The market drivers and restraints have been assessed to fathom their impact over the forecast period. This report further identifies the key opportunities for growth while also detailing the key challenges and possible threats. The key areas of focus include the various types of application industry in global food enzyme market, and their specific advantages.
1. Food Enzymes Market - Overview
- 1.1. Definitions and Scope
2. Food Enzymes Market - Executive summary
- 2.1. Market Revenue, Market Size and Key Trends by Company
- 2.2. Key Trends by type of Application
- 2.3. Key Trends segmented by Geography
3. Food Enzymes Market
- 3.1. Comparative analysis
- 3.1.1. Product Benchmarking - Top 10 companies
- 3.1.2. Top 5 Financials Analysis
- 3.1.3. Market Value split by Top 10 companies
- 3.1.4. Patent Analysis - Top 10 companies
- 3.1.5. Pricing Analysis
4. Food Enzymes Market Forces
- 4.1. Drivers
- 4.2. Constraints
- 4.3. Challenges
- 4.4. Porters five force model
- 4.4.1. Bargaining power of suppliers
- 4.4.2. Bargaining powers of customers
- 4.4.3. Threat of new entrants
- 4.4.4. Rivalry among existing players
- 4.4.5. Threat of substitutes
5. Food Enzymes Market -Strategic analysis
- 5.1. Value chain analysis
- 5.2. Opportunities analysis
- 5.3. Product life cycle
- 5.4. Suppliers and distributors Market Share
6. Food Enzymes Market - By Type (Market Size -$Million / $Billion)
- 6.1. Market Size and Market Share Analysis
- 6.2. Application Revenue and Trend Research
- 6.3. Product Segment Analysis
- 6.3.1. Introduction
- 6.3.2. Amylases
- 6.3.3. Catalases
- 6.3.4. Lactases
- 6.3.5. Proteases
- 6.3.6. Lipases
- 6.3.7. Rennet
- 6.3.8. Cellulase
- 6.3.9. Others (Actinidin, Bromelain, Ficin, Lypoxygenase, Invertase, Raffinase & Others)
7. Food Enzymes Market - By Source (Market Size -$Million / $Billion)
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.2. Plant-Based Enzymes
- 7.3. Animal-Based Enzymes
- 7.4. Microorganism-Based Enzymes
- 7.4.1. Bacterial
- 7.4.2. Fungal
- 7.4.3. Yeast
8. Food Enzymes Market - By Application (Market Size -$Million / $Billion)
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.1.1. Bakery
- 184.108.40.206. Bread
- 220.127.116.11. Cakes
- 18.104.22.168. Crackers & Cookies
- 8.1.2. Dairy
- 8.1.3. Beverages
- 8.1.4. Meat Products
- 8.1.5. Confectionery
- 8.1.6. Fruits & Vegetables Processing
- 8.1.7. Oil & Fats
- 8.1.8. Starch Processing
- 8.1.9. Inulin & Others
9. Food Enzymes - By Geography (Market Size -$Million / $Billion)
- 9.1. Food Enzymes Market - North America Segment Research
- 9.2. North America Market Research (Million / $Billion)
- 9.2.1. Segment type Size and Market Size Analysis
- 9.2.2. Revenue and Trends
- 9.2.3. Application Revenue and Trends by type of Application
- 9.2.4. Company Revenue and Product Analysis
- 9.2.5. North America Product type and Application Market Size
- 22.214.171.124. U.S.
- 126.96.36.199. Canada
- 188.8.131.52. Mexico
- 184.108.40.206. Rest of North America
- 9.3. Food Enzymes - South America Segment Research
- 9.4. South America Market Research (Market Size -$Million / $Billion)
- 9.4.1. Segment type Size and Market Size Analysis
- 9.4.2. Revenue and Trends
- 9.4.3. Application Revenue and Trends by type of Application
- 9.4.4. Company Revenue and Product Analysis
- 9.4.5. South America Product type and Application Market Size
- 220.127.116.11. Brazil
- 18.104.22.168. Venezuela
- 22.214.171.124. Argentina
- 126.96.36.199. Ecuador
- 188.8.131.52. Peru
- 184.108.40.206. Colombia
- 220.127.116.11. Costa Rica
- 18.104.22.168. Rest of South America
- 9.5. Food Enzymes - Europe Segment Research
- 9.6. Europe Market Research (Market Size -$Million / $Billion)
- 9.6.1. Segment type Size and Market Size Analysis
- 9.6.2. Revenue and Trends
- 9.6.3. Application Revenue and Trends by type of Application
- 9.6.4. Company Revenue and Product Analysis
- 9.6.5. Europe Segment Product type and Application Market Size
- 22.214.171.124. U.K
- 126.96.36.199. Germany
- 188.8.131.52. Italy
- 184.108.40.206. France
- 220.127.116.11. Netherlands
- 18.104.22.168. Belgium
- 22.214.171.124. Spain
- 126.96.36.199. Denmark
- 188.8.131.52. Rest of Europe
- 9.7. Food Enzymes - APAC Segment Research
- 9.8. APAC Market Research (Market Size -$Million / $Billion)
- 9.8.1. Segment type Size and Market Size Analysis
- 9.8.2. Revenue and Trends
- 9.8.3. Application Revenue and Trends by type of Application
- 9.8.4. Company Revenue and Product Analysis
- 9.8.5. APAC Segment - Product type and Application Market Size
- 184.108.40.206. China
- 220.127.116.11. Australia
- 18.104.22.168. Japan
- 22.214.171.124. South Korea
- 126.96.36.199. India
- 188.8.131.52. Taiwan
- 184.108.40.206. Malaysia
10. Food Enzymes Market - Entropy
- 10.1. New product launches
- 10.2. M&A's, collaborations, JVs and partnerships
11. Food Enzymes Market Company Analysis
- 11.1. Market Share, Company Revenue, Products, M&A, Developments
- 11.2. Royal DSM N.V
- 11.3. EI DuPont DE Nemours & Co
- 11.4. Novozymes A/S
- 11.5. Biocatalyst limited
- 11.6. AB enzymes GMBH
- 11.7. Kerry group PLC
- 11.8. Company 7
- 11.9. Company 8
- 11.10. Company 9
- 11.11. Company 10 and others
"*Financials would be provided on a best efforts basis for private companies"
12. Food Enzymes Market -Appendix
- 12.1. Abbreviations
- 12.2. Sources