Product Code: SR1018F55_Report
The global cat food market was worth US$ 30.9 Billion in 2017. The market is further projected to reach US$ 36.2 Billion by 2023, growing at a CAGR of 2.6% during 2018-2023. Cats represent one of the most popular companion pets worldwide as they are independent by nature and easy to keep in terms of care. Although owners usually feed their cats with milk and home-made food, the demand for specific food is increasing as it provides essential nutrients for maintaining the weight and energy requirements of the cats. In addition, commercially available cat food also helps in combating skin allergies and infections as well as improving the overall health and life expectancy of cats. On the other hand, the demand for premium cat food is rising among the owners of pedigree breeds which are often viewed as status symbols.
Global Cat Food Market Drivers/Constraints:
The growing trend of nuclear families is giving rise to pet humanisation, thereby increasing the adoption of cats particularly among the young population. This has created a huge demand for cat food worldwide.
The rising awareness among cat owners regarding the benefits of nutritional diversification has encouraged them to opt for products that are specifically made for the breed of their cat so as to improve their quality of life and to provide the optimum amounts of nutrients.
The manufacturers are focussing on providing a wide variety of premium cat food products ranging from organic and natural to gluten- and cereal-free variants. This is projected to expand the consumer-base, thereby, providing a positive thrust to the market globally.
The introduction of convenient cat food packaging in stand-up pouches, re-closable bags, single-serve pouches, bags with handles, etc. has impelled the growth of the cat food market across the globe.
Breakup by Product:
On the basis of product type, the market has been segmented into dry cat food, cat treats and wet cat food. Currently, dry cat food is the most popular product type.
Breakup by Pricing:
Based on pricing, mass products dominate the market, accounting for the majority of the global market. Mass products are followed by premium products.
Breakup by Ingredient:
On the basis of ingredient, the report finds that animal-derived cat food is the largest segment, followed by plant-derived cat food.
Breakup by Distribution Channel:
Based on the distribution channel, the market has been categorised as supermarkets and hypermarkets, specialty stores, online stores and others. Amongst these, supermarkets and hypermarkets account for majority of the total cat food sales worldwide.
On a geographical front, North America represents the leading market for cat food. Other major regions include Western Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Eastern Europe, and Middle East and Africa.
The cat food market is highly concentrated with the presence of a handful of manufacturers who compete in terms of prices and quality. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
- Mars, Inc.
- Del Monte Foods, Inc.
- The Colgate-Palmolive Company
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company
- The Procter & Gamble Company
- Blue Buffalo Co., Ltd.
- CANIDAE Pet Foods
This report provides a deep insight into the global cat food industry covering all its essential aspects. This ranges from macro overview of the market to micro details of the industry performance, recent trends, key market drivers and challenges, SWOT analysis, Porter's five forces analysis, value chain analysis, etc. The report also provides a comprehensive analysis for setting up a cat food manufacturing plant. The study analyses the processing and manufacturing requirements, project cost, project funding, project economics, expected returns on investment, profit margins, etc. This report is a must-read for entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, consultants, business strategists, and all those who have any kind of stake or are planning to foray into the cat food industry in any manner.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global cat food market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regional markets in the global cat food industry?
- What are the various pricing segments in the global cat food industry?
- What are the major ingredient types in the global cat food industry?
- What are the different product types in the global cat food industry?
- What are the major distribution channels in the global cat food industry?
- What are the price trends of cat food?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the global cat food industry?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the global cat food industry?
- What is the structure of the global cat food industry and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the global cat food industry?
- What are the profit margins in the global cat food industry?
- What are the key requirements for setting up a cat food manufacturing plant?
- How is cat food manufactured?
- What are the various unit operations involved in a cat food manufacturing plant?
- What is the total size of land required for setting up a cat food manufacturing plant?
- What are the machinery requirements for setting up a cat food manufacturing plant?
- What are the raw material requirements for setting up a cat food manufacturing plant?
- What are the packaging requirements for cat food?
- What are the transportation requirements for cat food?
- What are the utility requirements for setting up a cat food manufacturing plant?
- What are the manpower requirements for setting up a cat food manufacturing plant?
- What are the capital costs for setting up a cat food manufacturing plant?
- What will be the income and expenditures for a cat food manufacturing plant?
- What is the time required to break-even?
Table of Contents
2. Scope and Methodology
- 2.1. Objectives of the Study
- 2.2. Stakeholders
- 2.3. Data Sources
- 2.3.1. Primary Sources
- 2.3.2. Secondary Sources
- 2.4. Market Estimation
- 2.4.1. Bottom-Up Approach
- 2.4.2. Top-Down Approach
- 2.5. Forecasting Methodology
3. Executive Summary
- 4.1. Overview
- 4.2. Key Industry Trends
5. Global Cat Food Market
- 5.1. Market Overview
- 5.2. Market Performance
- 5.2.1. Volume Trends
- 5.2.2. Value Trends
- 5.3. Price Analysis
- 5.3.1. Price Trends
- 5.3.2. Price Structure
- 5.3.3. Price Forecast
- 5.4. Market Breakup by Region
- 5.5. Market Breakup by Product Type
- 5.6. Market Breakup by Pricing Type
- 5.7. Market Breakup by Ingredient Type
- 5.8. Market Breakup by Distribution Channel
- 5.9. Market Forecast
- 5.10. SWOT Analysis
- 5.10.1. Strengths
- 5.10.2. Weaknesses
- 5.10.3. Opportunities
- 5.10.4. Threats
- 5.11. Value Chain Analysis
- 5.11.1. Overview
- 5.11.2. Research and Development
- 5.11.3. Raw Material Procurement
- 5.11.4. Manufacturing
- 5.11.5. Marketing
- 5.11.6. Distribution
- 5.11.7. End-Use
- 5.12. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.12.1. Overview
- 5.12.2. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 5.12.3. Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 5.12.4. Degree of Competition
- 5.12.5. Threat of Substitutes
- 5.12.6. Threat of New Entrants
- 5.13. Key Success and Risk Factors
6. Market Breakup by Region
- 6.1. North America
- 6.2. Western Europe
- 6.3. Asia-Pacific
- 6.4. Latin America
- 6.5. Eastern Europe
- 6.6. Middle East and Africa
7. Market Breakup by Product Type
- 7.1. Dry Cat Food
- 7.2. Cat Treats
- 7.3. Wet Cat Food
8. Market Breakup by Pricing Type
- 8.1. Mass Products
- 8.2. Premium Products
9. Market Breakup by Ingredient Type
- 9.1. Animal Derived
- 9.2. Plant Derived
10. Market Breakup by Distribution Channel
- 10.1. Supermarkets and Hypermarkets
- 10.2. Specialty Stores
- 10.3. Online
- 10.4. Others
11. Competitive Landscape
- 11.1. Competitive Structure
- 11.2. Key Players
12. Cat Food Manufacturing Process
- 12.1. Product Overview
- 12.2. Detailed Process Flow
- 12.3. Various Types of Unit Operations Involved
- 12.4. Mass Balance and Raw Material Requirements
13. Project Details, Requirements and Costs Involved
- 13.1. Land Requirements and Expenditures
- 13.2. Construction Requirements and Expenditures
- 13.3. Plant Layout
- 13.4. Plant Machinery
- 13.5. Machinery Pictures
- 13.6. Raw Material Requirements and Expenditures
- 13.7. Raw Material and Final Product Pictures
- 13.8. Packaging Requirements and Expenditures
- 13.9. Transportation Requirements and Expenditures
- 13.10. Utility Requirements and Expenditures
- 13.11. Manpower Requirements and Expenditures
- 13.12. Other Capital Investments
14. Loans and Financial Assistance
15. Project Economics
- 15.1. Capital Cost of the Project
- 15.2. Techno-Economic Parameters
- 15.3. Product Pricing and Margins Across Various Levels of Supply Chain
- 15.4. Taxation and Depreciation
- 15.5. Income Projections
- 15.6. Expenditure Projections
- 15.7. Financial Analysis
- 15.8. Profit Analysis
16. Key Player Profiles