Product Code: SR1018G45_Report
The US generic drug market has witnessed a transformation over the last three decades. From less than 20% of the total prescriptions, generic drugs now account for the majority of the total prescriptions dispensed in the United States. During 2011-2018, the US generic drug market grew at a CAGR of 12% and currently represents a multibillion dollar industry. The biggest catalyst of this industry is the significantly lower price of generics compared to branded drugs. Although generics are chemically identical to their branded counterparts, they are typically sold at substantial discounts from the branded price. This has enabled governments and third-party payers to save billions of dollars in healthcare expenditures and resulted in lower copayments for patients. Other factors such as patent expiration of blockbuster innovator drugs, ageing population and an increasing prevalence of chronic diseases have also acted as catalysts for this market.
The report entitled "US Generic Drug Market: Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2019-2024" provides a comprehensive insight into the historical and current trends as well as the future prospects of the generic drug market in the United States. This study serves as an exceptional tool to understand the sales trends, volume trends, growth, key segments, competitive structure, regulations, major manufacturer, major distributors, top drugs, manufacturing requirements, opportunities and future prospects of the US generic drug market. This report can serve as an excellent guide for manufacturers, consultants, researchers, marketing strategists and all those who plan to foray into the US generic drug market in any form.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- Historical, current and future sales trends in the US generic drug market?
- Historical, current and future prescription trends in the US generic drug market?
- Performance of the US generic drug market compared to the US pharmaceutical market?
- Performance of the US generic drug market compared to other major generic drug markets?
- Structure of the US generic drug market?
- Market Breakup by Therapy Area?
- Market Breakup by Drug Delivery?
- Market Breakup by Distribution Channel?
- Competitive landscape in the US generic drug market?
- Top US generic drug manufacturers and their market shares?
- Distribution of generic drugs in the US?
- Top US generic drug distributors and their market shares?
- Most prescribed generic drugs in the US?
- Pricing analysis of generic drugs?
- Value chain analysis of generic drugs in the US?
- Regulations in the US generic drug market?
- Manufacturing process of generic drugs?
- Machinery and raw material requirements for manufacturing generic drugs?
- Key success and risk factors in the US generic drug market?
Table of Contents
2. Scope and Methodology
- 2.1. Objectives of the Study
- 2.2. Stakeholders
- 2.3. Data Sources
- 2.3.1. Primary Sources
- 2.3.2. Secondary Sources
- 2.4. Market Estimation
- 2.4.1. Bottom-Up Approach
- 2.4.2. Top-Down Approach
- 2.5. Forecasting Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. US Generic Drug Market - Introduction
- 4.1. What are Generic Drugs?
- 4.2. Unbranded and Branded Generics
- 4.3. Authorized Generics
- 4.4. Commoditized and Specialty Generics
5. Why is the US Generic Drug Market So Lucrative
- 5.1. Patent Expiry of Blockbuster Drugs
- 5.2. Significant Price Differential between Generics and Innovator Drugs
- 5.3. Savings for the Government and Third-Party Payers
- 5.4. Incentives for Dispensing and Prescribing Generic Drugs
- 5.5. Reimbursement and Lower Co-payments
- 5.6. Biosimilars
6. Global Generic Drug Market
- 6.1. Market Performance
- 6.1.1. Volume Trends
- 6.1.2. Value Trends
- 6.2. Market Breakup by Country
- 6.3. Market Forecast
- 6.4. Most Prescribed Generic and Branded Drugs
7. US Generic Drug Market
- 7.1. US Pharmaceutical Market Performance
- 7.1.1. Volume Trends
- 7.1.2. Value Trends
- 7.1.3. Market Breakup by Type
- 7.1.4. Market Forecast
- 7.2. US Generic Drug Market Performance
- 7.2.1. Volume Trends
- 7.2.2. Value Trends
- 7.2.3. Market Breakup by Segment
- 7.2.4. Market Breakup by Therapy Area
- 7.2.5. Market Breakup by Drug Delivery
- 7.2.6. Market Breakup by Distribution Channel
- 7.2.7. Market Forecast
8. Market Breakup by Segment
- 8.1. Unbranded Generics
- 8.1.1. Market Trends
- 8.1.2. Market Forecast
- 8.2. Branded Generics
- 8.2.1. Market Trends
- 8.2.2. Market Forecast
9. Market Breakup by Therapy Area
- 9.1. CNS
- 9.1.1. Market Trends
- 9.1.2. Market Forecast
- 9.2. Cardiovascular
- 9.2.1. Market Trends
- 9.2.2. Market Forecast
- 9.3. Dermatology
- 9.3.1. Market Trends
- 9.3.2. Market Forecast
- 9.4. Genitourinary/Hormonal
- 9.4.1. Market Trends
- 9.4.2. Market Forecast
- 9.5. Respiratory
- 9.5.1. Market Trends
- 9.5.2. Market Forecast
- 9.6. Rheumatology
- 9.6.1. Market Trends
- 9.6.2. Market Forecast
- 9.7. Diabetes
- 9.7.1. Market Trends
- 9.7.2. Market Forecast
- 9.8. Oncology
- 9.8.1. Market Trends
- 9.8.2. Market Forecast
- 9.9. Others
- 9.9.1. Market Trends
- 9.9.2. Market Forecast
10. Market Breakup by Drug Delivery
- 10.1. Oral
- 10.1.1. Market Trends
- 10.1.2. Market Forecast
- 10.2. Injectables
- 10.2.1. Market Trends
- 10.2.2. Market Forecast
- 10.3. Dermal/Topical
- 10.3.1. Market Trends
- 10.3.2. Market Forecast
- 10.4. Inhalers
- 10.4.1. Market Trends
- 10.4.2. Market Forecast
11. Market Breakup by Distribution Channel
- 11.1. Retail Pharmacies
- 11.1.1. Market Trends
- 11.1.2. Market Forecast
- 11.2. Hospital Pharmacies
- 11.2.1. Market Trends
- 11.2.2. Market Forecast
12. US Generic Drug Market - SWOT Analysis
- 12.1. Overview
- 12.2. Strengths
- 12.3. Weaknesses
- 12.4. Opportunities
- 12.5. Threats
13. US Generic Drug Market - Value Chain Analysis
- 13.1. Research and Development
- 13.2. Raw Material Procurement
- 13.3. Manufacturing
- 13.4. Marketing
- 13.5. Distribution
14. Pricing Mechanism and Profit Margins at Various Levels of the Supply Chain
15. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 15.1. Overview
- 15.2. Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 15.3. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 15.4. Degree of Rivalry
- 15.5. Threat of New Entrants
- 15.6. Threat of Substitutes
16. US Generic Drug Market- Competitive Landscape
- 16.1. US Generic Drug Market - Competitive Structure
- 16.2. US Generic Drug Market - Breakup of Key Players
- 16.4. US Generic Drug Market - Most Prescribed Generic Drugs
- 16.5. US Generic Drug Market - Market Breakup by Distribution
- 16.6. US Generic Drug Market - Pricing Dynamics
17. Regulations in the US Generic Drug Industry
- 17.1. Overview of Pharmaceutical Regulations
- 17.2. Drug Applications
- 17.3. Patents and Market Exclusivity
- 17.4. Regulatory Requirements for Generic Drugs
- 17.5. The Hatch-Waxman Act
- 17.6. Certifications
- 17.7. Other Important Considerations
18. US Generic Drug Market: Key Success Factors
19. US Generic Drug Market: Road Blocks
20. Requirements for Setting Up a Generic Drug Manufacturing Plant
- 20.1. Manufacturing Process
- 20.2. Raw Material Requirements
- 20.3. Raw Materials Pictures
- 20.4. Land and Construction Requirements
- 20.5. Machinery and Infrastructure Requirements
- 20.6. Machinery Pictures
- 20.7. Plant Layout
- 20.8. Packaging Requirements
- 20.9. Utility Requirements
- 20.10. Manpower Requirements
21. US Generic Drug Market - Key Company Profiles
- 21.1. Teva
- 21.2. Mylan
- 21.3. Actavis
- 21.4. Sandoz
- 21.5. Sun Pharma
- 21.6. Par Pharmaceuticals
- 21.7. Endo Pharmaceuticals
- 21.8. Lupin Pharmaceuticals
- 21.9. Dr Reddy's
- 21.10. Hospira