Product Code: SR1019B3_Report
Developed in the 1970's and 1980's, rare earth magnets have become extremely popular in a number of industrial applications and currently represent the strongest type of permanent magnets. Rare earth magnets are currently divided into two categories, that is, the SmCo-type magnets and the NdFeB-type magnets. These magnets are composed of the alloys of rare earth elements and hence are known as rare earth magnets. These magnets can produce stronger magnetic fields compared to the ferrite and AlNiCo magnets. They are, however, extremely brittle and also vulnerable to corrosion and hence require coating to protect them from breaking, chipping or crumbling into powder.
NdFeB magnets are well suited for use in electric motors, power tools and other products requiring strong, compact permanent magnets. They offer the highest magnetic field strength and magnetic stability but have a lower curie temperature. Since they tend to be more vulnerable to oxidation than SmCo magnets, protective surface treatments are often applied on them.
Unlike NdFeB magnets, SmCo magnets have a weaker magnetic field strength but a higher curie temperature and are extremely useful for applications requiring high field strength while operating at high temperatures. Another advantage with SmCo magnets is that they have a high resistance to oxidation and can be more susceptible to chipping and cracking. Compared to the wide usage of NdFeB magnets, however, SmCo magnets have limited usage. These magnets are currently used for certain niche applications, particularly in the defence and aerospace sectors. According to the latest report, the global rare earth magnets market has grown at a CAGR of 7.45% during 2011-2018, reaching a market value of US$ 12.62 Billion in 2018.
Globally, China represents the largest producer as well as the consumer of NdFeB and SmCo magnets. Well diversified and increasing industrial applications coupled by the fact that they have limited substitutes are currently driving the global demand of NdFeB magnets. The demand of SmCo magnets, on the other hand, is being driven by the increasing spending on the defence and the aerospace sectors. Government initiatives to promote green technologies in order to decrease carbon emissions are also expected to drive the global rare earth magnet market in the coming years.
IMARC's latest study "Rare Earth Magnet Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Forecast and Opportunity 2019-2024" provides a techno-commercial roadmap for setting up a rare earth magnets manufacturing plant. The study, which has been done by one of the world's leading research and advisory firms, covers all the requisite aspects of the rare earth magnet market. This ranges from macro overview of the market to micro details of the industry performance, processing and manufacturing requirements, project cost, project funding, project economics, expected returns on investment, profit margins, etc. This report is a must-read for entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, consultants, business strategists, and all those who have or plan to have any kind of stake in the rare earth magnet market.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global rare earth magnet market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regional markets in the global rare earth magnet industry?
- What are the key applications in the global rare earth magnet industry?
- How has the global NdFeB magnet market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regional markets in the global NdFeB magnet industry?
- What are the key applications in the global NdFeB magnet industry?
- How has the global SmCo magnet market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regional markets in the global SmCo magnet industry?
- What are the key applications in the global SmCo magnet industry?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the global rare earth magnet industry?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the global rare earth magnet industry?
- What is the structure of the global rare earth magnet industry and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the global rare earth magnet industry?
- What are the profit margins in the rare earth magnet industry?
- What are the key requirements for setting up a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- How are rare earth magnet manufactured?
- What are the various unit operations involved in a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- What is the total size of land required for setting up a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- What are the machinery requirements for setting up a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- What are the raw material requirements for setting up a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- What are the packaging requirements for a rare earth magnet?
- What are the transportation requirements for a rare earth magnet?
- What are the utility requirements for setting up a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- What are the manpower requirements for setting up a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- What are the infrastructure costs for setting up a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- What are the capital costs for setting up a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- What are the operating costs for setting up a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- What will be the income and expenditures for a rare earth magnet manufacturing plant?
- What is the time required to break-even?
Table of Contents
2 Scope and Methodology
- 2.1 Objectives of the Study
- 2.2 Stakeholders
- 2.3 Data Sources
- 2.3.1 Primary Sources
- 2.3.2 Secondary Sources
- 2.4 Market Estimation
- 2.4.1 Bottom-Up Approach
- 2.4.2 Top-Down Approach
- 2.5 Forecasting Methodology
3 Executive Summary
- 4.1 Overview
- 4.2 Properties
- 4.3 Key Industry Trends
5 Global Rare Earth Magnets Industry
- 5.1 Market Overview
- 5.2 Market Performance
- 5.2.1 Volume Trends
- 5.2.2 Value Trends
- 5.3 Price Analysis
- 5.3.1 Key Price Indicators
- 5.3.2 Price Structure
- 5.3.3 Price Trends
- 5.4 Market Breakup by Region
- 5.5 Market Breakup by Magnet Type
- 5.6 Market Breakup by Application
- 5.7 Market Forecast
- 5.8 SWOT Analysis
- 5.8.1 Overview
- 5.8.2 Strengths
- 5.8.3 Weaknesses
- 5.8.4 Opportunities
- 5.8.5 Threats
- 5.9 Value Chain Analysis
- 5.9.1 Rare Earth Mining and Milling Companies
- 5.9.2 Rare Earth Oxide Manufacturers
- 5.9.3 Rare Earth Metal Manufacturers
- 5.9.4 Rare Earth Alloy Manufacturers
- 5.9.5 Rare Earth Magnet Manufacturers
- 5.9.6 Product Distribution
- 5.9.7 Scrap Magnets Removing and Separating Companies
- 5.9.8 Recycling Companies
- 5.10 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.10.1 Overview
- 5.10.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 5.10.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 5.10.4 Degree of Competition
- 5.10.5 Threat of New Entrants
- 5.10.6 Threat of Substitutes
- 5.11 Key Market Drivers and Success Factors
6 Market Performance by Magnet Type
- 6.1 NdFeB Magnets
- 6.1.1 Volume Trends
- 6.1.2 Value Trends
- 6.1.3 Market Breakup by Region
- 6.1.4 Market Breakup by Applications
- 6.1.5 Market Forecast
- 6.2 SmCo Magnets
- 6.2.1 Volume Trends
- 6.2.2 Value Trends
- 6.2.3 Market Breakup by Region
- 6.2.4 Market Breakup by Applications
- 6.2.5 Market Forecast
7 Market Performance by Key Regions
- 7.1 China
- 7.1.1 NdFeB and SmCo Magnets Market: Volume Trends
- 7.1.2 Market Forecast
- 7.2 Japan
- 7.2.1 NdFeB and SmCo Magnets Market: Volume Trends
- 7.2.2 Market Forecast
- 7.3 Europe
- 7.3.1 NdFeB and SmCo Magnets Market: Volume Trends
- 7.3.2 Market Forecast
- 7.4 USA
- 7.4.1 NdFeB and SmCo Magnets Market: Volume Trends
- 7.4.2 Market Forecast
8 Market Breakup by Application
- 8.1 NdFeB Magnets
- 8.1.1 Automobile
- 126.96.36.199 Market Trends
- 188.8.131.52 Market Forecast
- 8.1.2 Electronics
- 184.108.40.206 Market Trends
- 220.127.116.11 Market Forecast
- 8.1.3 Power Generators
- 18.104.22.168 Market Trends
- 22.214.171.124 Market Forecast
- 8.1.4 Medical Industry
- 126.96.36.199 Market Trends
- 188.8.131.52 Market Forecast
- 8.1.5 Wind Power
- 184.108.40.206 Market Trends
- 220.127.116.11 Market Forecast
- 8.1.6 Others
- 18.104.22.168 Market Trends
- 22.214.171.124 Market Forecast
- 8.2 SmCo Magnets
- 8.2.1 Defence
- 126.96.36.199 Market Trends
- 188.8.131.52 Market Forecast
- 8.2.2 Aerospace
- 184.108.40.206 Market Trends
- 220.127.116.11 Market Forecast
- 8.2.3 Electronics
- 18.104.22.168 Market Trends
- 22.214.171.124 Market Forecast
- 8.2.4 Medical Devices
- 126.96.36.199 Market Trends
- 188.8.131.52 Market Forecast
- 8.2.5 Others
- 184.108.40.206 Market Trends
- 220.127.116.11 Market Forecast
9 Competitive Landscape
- 9.1 Competitive Structure
- 9.2 Key Players
10 Rare Earth Magnet Manufacturing Process
- 10.1 Product Overview
- 10.2 Detailed Process Flow
- 10.3 Various Types of Unit Operations Involved
- 10.4 Mass Balance and Raw Material Requirements
11 Project Details, Requirements and Costs Involved
- 11.1 Land Requirements and Expenditures
- 11.2 Construction Requirements and Expenditures
- 11.3 Plant Layout
- 11.4 Plant Machinery
- 11.5 Machinery Pictures
- 11.6 Raw Material Requirements and Expenditures
- 11.7 Raw Material and Final Product Pictures
- 11.8 Packaging Requirements and Expenditures
- 11.9 Transportation Requirements and Expenditures
- 11.10 Utility Requirements and Expenditures
- 11.11 Manpower Requirements and Expenditures
- 11.12 Other Capital Investments
12 Loans and Financial Assistance
13 Project Economics
- 13.1 Capital Cost of the Project
- 13.2 Techno-Economic Parameters
- 13.3 Product Pricing and Margins Across Various Levels of the Supply Chain
- 13.4 Taxation and Depreciation
- 13.5 Income Projections
- 13.6 Expenditure Projections
- 13.7 Financial Analysis
- 13.8 Profit Analysis
14 Key Player Profiles