Product Code: SR1020C183_Report
The global pet food market reached a value of US$ 108 Billion in 2020. Over the years, the growing number of pet-owners has resulted in an extensive demand for pet food. Research and studies conducted by the manufacturers have also increased their knowledge of pet nutrition. In-line with this, they are now offering products which ensure palatability and meet the nutritional requirements of pets. Moreover, several pet food associations and federations have introduced strict legislation for the manufacturers to produce safe and high-quality pet food. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the global pet food market to grow at a CAGR of 4.3% during 2021-2026.
Global Pet Food Market Drivers:
- As pet food helps in combating skin allergies and infections as well as improving the overall health and life expectancy of pets, the owners are increasingly looking for pet food products that address these health concerns. Manufacturers are also introducing products specific to the breed, age and size of pets in smaller, disposable, single-serve containers in order to offer convenience to both the pets and owners. Apart from this, pet food companies are developing organic variants which are made using ingredients that are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, hormones or antibiotics. This has increased consumer's interest in natural formulations, thereby increasing the potential of the companies to further diversify their offerings.
Global Pet Food Market Segmentation:
Breakup by Pet Type:
- On the basis of pet types, the market is segmented into dog food, cat food and others. Currently, dog food dominates the market due to increasing dog ownership coupled with the rising pet humanization trend across the globe.
Breakup by Product Type:
- Based on product types, dry pet food represents the most popular product type as it is more affordable and has a long-standing market presence. Dry pet food is followed by wet and canned pet food, and snacks & treats.
Breakup by Pricing Type:
- The market is also categorized on the basis of pricing into mass products and premium products. Amongst these, mass products account for the majority of the global sales.
Breakup by Ingredient Type:
- On the basis of ingredients, the report finds that animal-derived pet food is the leading segment, followed by plant-derived pet food.
Breakup by Distribution Channel:
- Based on distribution channels, supermarkets and hypermarkets currently hold the largest share as they offer convenience to the consumers. They are followed by specialty stores, online stores and others. Among all the distribution channels, online stores are expected to exhibit a strong growth in the coming years.
- Region-wise, North America enjoys the leading position in the global pet food market on account of the growing pet adoption rate in the region. Other major regions include Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East and Africa.
The market is highly fragmented with the presence of numerous small and large manufacturers who compete in terms of prices and quality. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
- Mars Petcare Inc.
- Nestle Purina Pet Care
- Hill's Pet Nutrition
- The J.M. Smucker Company
- This report provides a deep insight into the global pet food industry covering all its essential aspects. This ranges from macro overview of the market to micro details of the industry performance, recent trends, key market drivers and challenges, SWOT analysis, Porter's five forces analysis, value chain analysis, etc. The report also provides a comprehensive analysis for setting up a pet food manufacturing plant. The study analyses the processing and manufacturing requirements, project cost, project funding, project economics, expected returns on investment, profit margins, etc. This report is a must-read for entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, consultants, business strategists, and all those who have any kind of stake or are planning to foray into the pet food industry in any manner.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global pet food market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regional markets in the global pet food market?
- What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the global pet food market?
- What are the major pet types in the global pet food market?
- What are the various product types in the global pet food market?
- What are the different pricing segments in the global pet food market?
- What are the key ingredients in the global pet food market?
- What are the major distribution channels in the global pet food market?
- What are the price trends of pet food?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the global pet food market?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the global pet food market?
- What is the structure of the global pet food market and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the global pet food market ?
- What are the profit margins in the global pet food market ?
- What are the key requirements for setting up a pet food manufacturing plant?
- How is pet food manufactured?
- What are the various unit operations involved in a pet food manufacturing plant?
- What is the total size of land required for setting up a pet food manufacturing plant?
- What are the machinery requirements for setting up a pet food manufacturing plant?
- What are the raw material requirements for setting up a pet food manufacturing plant?
- What are the packaging requirements for pet food?
- What are the transportation requirements for pet food?
- What are the utility requirements for setting up a pet food manufacturing plant?
- What are the manpower requirements for setting up a pet food manufacturing plant?
- What are the infrastructure costs for setting up a pet food manufacturing plant?
- What are the capital costs for setting up a pet food manufacturing plant?
- What are the operating costs for setting up a pet food manufacturing plant?
- What will be the income and expenditures for a pet food manufacturing plant?
- What is the time required to break-even?
Table of Contents
2 Scope and Methodology
- 2.1 Objectives of the Study
- 2.2 Stakeholders
- 2.3 Data Sources
- 2.3.1 Primary Sources
- 2.3.2 Secondary Sources
- 2.4 Market Estimation
- 2.4.1 Bottom-Up Approach
- 2.4.2 Top-Down Approach
- 2.5 Forecasting Methodology
3 Executive Summary
- 4.1 Overview
- 4.2 Key Industry Trends
5 Global Pet Food Industry
- 5.1 Market Overview
- 5.2 Market Performance
- 5.2.1 Volume Trends
- 5.2.2 Value Trends
- 5.3 Impact of COVID-19
- 5.4 Price Analysis
- 5.4.1 Key Price Indicators
- 5.4.2 Price Structure
- 5.4.3 Price Trends
- 5.5 Market Breakup by Region
- 5.6 Market Breakup by Pet Type
- 5.7 Market Breakup by Product Type
- 5.8 Market Breakup by Pricing Type
- 5.9 Market Breakup by Ingredient Type
- 5.10 Market Breakup by Distribution Channel
- 5.11 Market Forecast
- 5.12 Trade Data
- 5.12.1 Imports
- 5.12.2 Exports
- 5.13 SWOT Analysis
- 5.13.1 Overview
- 5.13.2 Strengths
- 5.13.3 Weaknesses
- 5.13.4 Opportunities
- 5.13.5 Threats
- 5.14 Value Chain Analysis
- 5.14.1 Raw Material Suppliers
- 5.14.2 Manufacturers
- 5.14.3 Distributors
- 5.14.4 Exporters
- 5.14.5 Retailers
- 5.14.6 End-Users
- 5.15 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.15.1 Overview
- 5.15.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 5.15.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 5.15.4 Degree of Competition
- 5.15.5 Threat of New Entrants
- 5.15.6 Threat of Substitutes
- 5.16 Key Market Drivers and Success Factors
6 Performance of Key Regions
- 6.1 North America
- 6.1.1 Market Trends
- 6.1.2 Market Forecast
- 6.2 Europe
- 6.2.1 Market Trends
- 6.2.2 Market Forecast
- 6.3 Asia-Pacific
- 6.3.1 Market Trends
- 6.3.2 Market Forecast
- 6.4 Latin America
- 6.4.1 Market Trends
- 6.4.2 Market Forecast
- 6.5 Middle East and Africa
- 6.5.1 Market Trends
- 6.5.2 Market Forecast
7 Market by Pet Type
- 7.1 Dog Food
- 7.1.1 Market Trends
- 7.1.2 Market Forecast
- 7.2 Cat Food
- 7.2.1 Market Trends
- 7.2.2 Market Forecast
- 7.3 Others
- 7.3.1 Market Trends
- 7.3.2 Market Forecast
8 Market by Product Type
- 8.1 Dry Pet Food
- 8.1.1 Market Trends
- 8.1.2 Market Forecast
- 8.2 Wet and Canned Pet Food
- 8.2.1 Market Trends
- 8.2.2 Market Forecast
- 8.3 Snacks and Treats
- 8.3.1 Market Trends
- 8.3.2 Market Forecast
9 Market by Pricing Type
- 9.1 Mass Products
- 9.1.1 Market Trends
- 9.1.2 Market Forecast
- 9.2 Premium Products
- 9.2.1 Market Trends
- 9.2.2 Market Forecast
10 Market by Ingredient Type
- 10.1 Animal Derived
- 10.1.1 Market Trends
- 10.1.2 Market Forecast
- 10.2 Plant Derived
- 10.2.1 Market Trends
- 10.2.2 Market Forecast
11 Market by Distribution Channel
- 11.1 Supermarkets and Hypermarkets
- 11.1.1 Market Trends
- 11.1.2 Market Forecast
- 11.2 Specialty Stores
- 11.2.1 Market Trends
- 11.2.2 Market Forecast
- 11.3 Online Stores
- 11.3.1 Market Trends
- 11.3.2 Market Forecast
- 11.4 Others
- 11.4.1 Market Trends
- 11.4.2 Market Forecast
12 Competitive Landscape
- 12.1 Market Structure
- 12.2 Market Breakup by Key Players
13 Pet Food Manufacturing Process
- 13.1 Product Overview
- 13.2 Detailed Process Flow
- 13.3 Various Types of Unit Operations Involved
- 13.4 Mass Balance and Raw Material Requirements
14 Project Details, Requirements and Costs Involved
- 14.1 Land Requirements and Expenditures
- 14.2 Construction Requirements and Expenditures
- 14.3 Plant Machinery
- 14.4 Raw Material Requirements and Expenditures
- 14.5 Packaging Requirements and Expenditures
- 14.6 Transportation Requirements and Expenditures
- 14.7 Utility Requirements and Expenditures
- 14.8 Manpower Requirements and Expenditures
- 14.9 Other Capital Investments
15 Loans and Financial Assistance
16 Project Economics
- 16.1 Capital Cost of the Project
- 16.2 Techno-Economic Parameters
- 16.3 Product Pricing and Margins Across Various Levels of the Supply Chain
- 16.4 Taxation and Depreciation
- 16.5 Income Projections
- 16.6 Expenditure Projections
- 16.7 Financial Analysis
- 16.8 Profit Analysis
17 Key Player Profiles
- 17.1 Mars Petcare Inc.
- 17.2 Nestle Purina Pet Care
- 17.3 Hill's Pet Nutrition
- 17.4 Procter & Gamble Co.
- 17.5 The J.M. Smucker Company