Product Code: CEMA21454
This IDC Insight reviews the need to secure industrial control systems (ICS) in oil and gas companies in the Middle East and examines the ways in which the evolving threat landscape impacts ICS security.
The objective of this study is to discuss the following:
- Definition of advanced persistent threats (APTs) and how they impact SCADA/ICS system security in the Middle East.
- The current risk perception for oil and gas companies and concerns around ICS security.
- The risk mitigation techniques that can be adopted by oil and gas companies and the limits of these techniques.
- The necessity for IT security vendors and ISC vendors to evolve in meeting security requirements.
- Essential guidance for oil and gas companies, IT security vendors, and ICS vendors on addressing ICS security.
Table of Contents
In This Insight
- Threat Landscape in the Middle East
- Stuxnet's Impact on SCADA Systems
- Oil and Gas Risk Perception
- Evolution of ICS Risk Perception
- Stuxnet's Impact on the Oil and Gas Industry
- Protection Against SCADA-Related Threats: A Major Oil and Gas Investment
- Factors Influencing Oil and Gas Company Vulnerabilities to ICS Threats
- Risk Mitigation Techniques
- Application Whitelisting
- Limits of Risk Mitigation Techniques
- Limitations of ICS Patching
- Limitations of Application Whitelisting
- Evolution of Threat Landscape
- Evolution of IT Security Vendors
- Increase in OEM Agreements with SCADA Vendors
- IT Security Vendors to Establish Industry Specialization
- Evolution of Oil and Gas Companies
- Guidance for ICS Vendors
- Reinforcing Your Security Capabilities
- Helping Customers Understand Their ICS Security Challenges and Mitigation Techniques
- Forming Partnerships with the IT Community
- Guidance for IT Security Vendors
- Accepting ICS Security as Both an IT Security Concern and a SCADA Concern
- Investing in a Team that Understands ICS Requirements
- Industrial Control Systems Lifecycle Challenges
- Guidance for Oil and Gas Companies
- The Need for a Holistic Approach
- Improved and Preventive Approach for Patching
- Demand for Collaboration Between IT and ICS Vendors
List of Figures
- Figure: Middle East CIOs' Technology Challenges/Priorities
- Figure: Top 5 Information Security Threats to Middle East Oil and Gas Companies