This market report summarizes the results of HTStec's 4th industry-wide global web-based benchmarking survey on multi-mode microplate readers carried out in September 2013.
The survey looked at the following aspects of multi-mode (MM) plate readers as practiced today (2013) and in a few cases as predicted for the future (2016):
- Vendor's MM plate readers present in respondents lab
- Number of MM plate readers in respondent's lab and average functional lifetime of readers; application areas where MM plate readers are most used
- Influence of brand on purchasing selection; preferred brand and duration of brand loyalty
- Average price paid for a MM plate reader in the past 3 years
- Current level of interest/use in label-free detection on a MM plate reader
- Whether existing label-free options on a MM plate reader have met expectations
- MM plate reader accessible assays/applications respondent's expect label-free to add most value
- Level of importance on having cell imaging enabled on respondent's next purchase of a MM plate reader
- Assays which respondent's currently run on MM plate reader they would like to multiplex (correlate) with microwell cell imaging
- Usefulness of bulk fluorescence readout in detecting changes in 3D cell cultures derived from various approaches
- Where MM plate reader manufacturers should improve their offerings with respect to reading 3D cell cultures
- Where respondents get most product information when considering the purchase of a new MM plate reader
- Customer experience of MM plate reader vendors with respect to dependability, responsiveness and interactive approach
- Feedback given to plate reader vendors looking to retain/attract respondent's custom, loyalty and interest in the future.
Key Points Discovered in this Report:
Please note this report is focused exclusively on MM plate readers.
- The MM plate reader most frequently found in respondent's lab was from PerkinElmer.
- The MM plate readers most used in respondent's labs were from Molecular Devices or PerkinElmer.
- A median of 2 MM plate readers were found in each respondent's lab.
- The median average functional lifetime of MM plate reader was 8 years.
- The application area where respondent's MM plate readers were most used was basic research.
- 33% of respondents did not have a preferred MM plate reader brand (manufacturer).
- Absorbance and glow luminescence were the most used MM plate reader detection modalities.
- Opinion on the future deployment/availability of label-free on MM plate readers was mixed.
- The average median purchasing frequency for a new MM plate reader was every 6-7 years. Greatest interest was expressed in purchasing Molecular Devices - SpectraMax i3 MM plate reader.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Table of Contents
- Survey Methodology
- Lab Origin of Survey Respondents
- Respondent's Geographic Origin
- Respondent's Company or Organisational Origin
- Respondent's Job Role
- Current Use of MM Plate Readers
- Vendor's MM Plate Readers Found in Respondent's Labs
- Vendor's MM Plate Reader Most Used in Respondent's Labs
- Number of MM Plate Readers per Lab or Group
- Expected Average Functional Lifetime of MM Plate Readers
- Application Areas Where a MM Plate Reader is Most Used
- Influence of Brand on Purchasing Selection of a MM Plate Reader
- Preferred Brand (Manufacturer) of MM Plate Reader
- Duration of Brand Loyalty for a MM Plate Reader
- What Most Influences a Decision to Change Preferred MM Reader Brand
- Summary of Survey Findings (1)
- Influence of Price on Purchasing Selection of a MM Plate Reader
- Respondents Who Would Consider Purchasing an Unknown Brand if it Offered
Equal Performance But Lower Price
- Average Price Paid for a MM Plate Reader Over the Past 3 Years
- Price-Point for a Fully Specified MM Plate Reader
- Current (2013) Usage of Different MM Plate Reader Detection Modalities
- Future (2016) Usage of Different MM Plate Reader Detection Modalities
- Anticipated Future Change in Different MM Reader Detection Modalities
- Current Level of Use of Label-Free Detection on a MM Plate Reader
- Respondent's Experience of Label-Free on a MM Plate Reader
- Preferred Future Deployment of Label-Free on MM Plate Readers
- Respondent Feedback on Plate Reader Accessible Assays/Applications Where
They Expect Label-Free Will Add Most Value
- Opinion on the Addition of Cell Imaging to a MM Plate Reader
- Influence of Cell Imaging Capability on the Purchasing of MM Plate Readers
- Importance of Having a Cell Imaging Option on the Respondent's Next
Purchase of MM Plate Reader
- Assays Respondents Want to Multiplex With an Image of a Well
- Opinion on Existing Provision of FLT on Specialty Readers
- Effect of Lack of FLT Provision on a MM Reader on Readout Adoption
- Summary of Survey Findings (2)
- Usefulness of a Non-Imaging Readout on a MM Plate Reader for 3D Cell
- Where MM Plate Readers Need to Improve Most When Reading 3D Cell Cultures
- Average Purchasing Frequency of a New MM Plate Reader
- How Often is a Purchasing Decision Related to the Need to Replace an Aging
MM Plate Reader
- 2013 Annual Budget for MM Plate Readers
- Number of MM Plate Readers Purchased Per Budget
- Future Probability of Purchasing a MM Plate Reader
- Global Market Estimate for MM Plate Readers
- Interest in Purchasing Vendor's MM Plate Reader Systems (1)
- Interest in Purchasing Vendor's MM Plate Reader Systems (2)
- Current Vendor Share of MM plate Reader Market
- Future Vendor Share of MM plate Reader Market
- Where Respondents Get Most Product Information When Purchasing a New MM
- Main Drivers in Reaching a Purchasing Decision for a New MM Plate Reader
- Respondents Who Would Consider a Used or Refurbished MM Plate Reader
- Experience of MM Plate Reader Vendor With Respect to Dependability
- Experience of MM Plate Reader Vendor With Respect to Responsiveness
- Experience of MM Plate Reader Vendor With Respect to Interactive Approach
- Feedback Respondents Would Give a Vendor Looking to Retain/Attract Their
Custom, Loyalty & Interest in the Future
- Summary of Survey Findings (3)