Product Code: GDOG-TR-S023
Unmanned aerial vehicles - UAVs or, more commonly, drones - have become integral to the oil and gas industry over the last few years owing to their increasing usability as technology has advanced. This is bolstered further by falling hardware costs and easing government regulations. The industry's steady transition towards digital transformation using sensors, cloud computing and the Internet of Things (IoT) is providing an added impetus to drone usage.
Drone adoption in the oil and gas industry initially revolved around strategic deployments for remote monitoring and surveillance of assets during regular operations and in emergency situations. Recent advancements in sensing and imaging technologies are enabling drones to be deployed in a wide range of settings for performing inspection and predictive maintenance of critical infrastructure. Drone makers are also collaborating with oil and gas companies to develop custom drone platforms that can be equipped with different types of data collection technologies for obtaining real-time insights.
- Overview of the emergence of drones as a theme in the oil and gas industry and its impact on operations.
- Detailed analysis of the emerging use cases for drones across the oil and gas value chain.
- A brief overview of the major application areas for the drones in the oil and gas industry.
- Assessment of the overall drones market across different industry verticals.
Reasons to buy
- Understand the importance of adopting drone technology in oil and gas operations.
- Identify the key applications and trends for the drones theme.
- A review of some of the case studies highlighting the growing capabilities of drones in addressing business challenges across the oil and gas value chain.
- Identify and benchmark key oil and gas companies based on their exposure to drones theme.
Table of Contents
- IMPACT OF DRONES ON THE OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY 4
- Drone usage across the oil and gas industry 4
- Drone-related developments in the oilfield services sector 4
- Technology and regulatory highlights 5
- Case studies 6
- BP: Surveillance drones to monitor road conditions in Alaska 6
- Kinsale Energy: Drone-based inspection for decommissioning of assets 7
- Gazprom: Use of drones for hydrocarbon exploration 8
- Equinor: Drone-mounted sensors for detecting methane emissions 8
- Intel and Cyberhawk: Inspection of a gas terminal using drones 8
- Chevron: Demonstrating the effectiveness of drones in tackling industrial accidents 9
- PLAYERS 10
- TRENDS 11
- Applications of drones in oil and gas 11
- Technology trends 12
- Macroeconomic trends 15
- Regulatory trends 18
- INDUSTRY ANALYSIS 22
- Market size and growth forecasts 22
- Competitive analysis 25
- Timeline 26
- VALUE CHAIN 27
- The hardware layer is a fundamental component in the drone value chain 28
- The software layer is getting increasingly crowded 29
- DaaS providers are the new entrants in the industry 30
- COMPANIES SECTION 31
- Oil and gas companies 31
- Public companies 32
- Private companies 35
- TECHNOLOGY BRIEFING 37
- Anatomy of a drone 37
- Key technologies within a drone 39
- GLOSSARY 44
- APPENDIX: OUR "THEMATIC" RESEARCH METHODOLOGY 45