Product Code: GDTC0201IR
Pay-TV penetration in Europe is set to increase through 2023 robust growth in IPTV services, supported by converged and multiplay offers. The popularization of third-party video OTT platforms and the rapid evolution of viewer's habits towards non-linear video are making pay-TV operators to enhance their conventional service propositions with more innovative features and embrace the realm of OTT.
Pay-TV accounts in Europe will grow on the back of broadband network improvement as the expansion and upgrades of vectoring and super-vectoring VDSL and FTTH/B for better customer experience. Between 2018 and 2023, pay-TV providers across Europe will add 22.1 million accounts and cumulatively will generate $252.3 billion over the same period of time.
The European IPTV subscriber base will increase at a CAGR of 5.4% over 2018-2023 to reach 86.0m by 2023 as FTTH/B and VDSL expansion and upgrades will expand the IPTV footprint. IPTV will also be the fast-growing platform in terms of revenue in Europe and will reach US$11.6 billion in 2023 from US$7.7 billion in 2018, following IPTV subscriber growth. The growth in IPTV segment will be supported by IPTV service providers offering their services as part of multiplay service bundles with tariffs discounts. Cable will decline from 85.0 million in 2018 to 83.6 million in 2023.
The report "Pay-TV Market Trends and Opportunities in Europe - 2019", provides an executive-level overview of the pay-TV market in Europe. It delivers deep qualitative and quantitative insight into the pay-TV market in the region, analyzing key trends and strategies adopted by service providers.
It provides an in-depth analysis of the following -
- Section 1: Europe in a global context; looks at the pay-TV market in a global context, focusing on penetration and service adoption trends
- Section 2: Pay-TV market in Europe; provides a detailed description of the pay-TV market in Europe, looking at subscriber growth, penetration trends, and service adoption by technology
- Section 3: Competitive market trends in Europe; analyzes the three main trends affecting the pay-TV market in the region, focusing on network improvements, the threat of alternative OTT video platforms and the increasing role that pay-TV players play in video content creation
- Section 4: Pay-TV revenue evolution in Europe; analyzes main ARPU and revenue trends in Europe for the 2018-2023 period
- Key findings and recommendations; the Insider concludes with a number of key findings and a set of recommendations for pay-TV service providers
Companies mentioned: 21st Century Fox, Amazon, BT, CNBC, Com Hem, Comcast, Deutsche Telekom, Disney, Dreamworks Animation, Liberty Global, MSNBC, NBC Universal, Netflix, Orange, Sky, Sony Pictures, Sunrise, Telefonica, Universal Pictures, Vodafone, Warner Bros
- Over the forecast period, a pay-TV market in Europe will grow on the back of IPTV as telco invest network upgrades and expansions.
- With the increasing demand for HD and 4K content, OTT video and interactive pay-TV platforms are forcing pay-TV service provides to allocate significant investments to upgrade and expand their network infrastructure.
- With the rapid popularization of OTT distribution platforms, competition for exclusive content rights is ramping up, making access to prime content more difficult and expensive for traditional pay-TV service providers.
- An increasing number of pay-TV operators are opting for vertically integrating content production, whether by creating their own dedicated units or through the acquisition of production companies.
Reasons to buy
- This Insider Report provides a comprehensive examination of the main trends taking place in the Europe pay-TV market, helping executives fully understand market dynamics, determine what works and what doesn't, formulate effective product development plans, and optimize resource allocation and return on investments.
- The report includes examples on strategies adopted by pay-TV service providers that illustrate the findings of the report, providing insight into particular situations in the cloud computing market; this will help the reader understand both the challenges confronted in the real world and the strategies employed to overcome those challenges.
- The report discusses concrete opportunities in the pay-TV market, providing a number of actionable recommendations for pay-TV service providers.
- With more than ten charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, to help to understand the pay-TV market, analyzing key trends and strategies.
Table of Contents
Section 1: Europe in a global context
- Europe's demographics at a glance
- Europe in a global context
Section 2: Pay-TV market in Europe
- Pay-TV market in Europe
- Regulatory context in Europe
Section 3: Competitive market trends in Europe
- Competitive market trends in Europe
- Network improvements in Europe
- OTT disruption in Europe
- Content access in Europe
Section 4: Pay-TV revenue evolution in Europe
- Pay-TV ARPU evolution in Europe
- Pay-TV service revenue evolution in Europe
Section 5: Key findings and recommendations
- Acronyms and definitions
- Companies mentioned
- Related research