Product Code: BF201MR
"The Baby Food Sector in India, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Indian market.
In 2017, the Baby Food sector reached 268,000 tons, valued at Rs150 billion (US$2.1 billion). Although there is vast potential, sales growth has been subdued. The majority of sales are accounted for by milks, which took a 72.6% volume share, with baby cereals holding the remaining 27.4%. Both categories have experienced strong demand. Imports were consequently of only marginal importance, accounting for under 0.5% of milks and cereals sales, but increased significantly in 2014 to 842 tons, and doubled again by 2016. The market for baby food has enormous potential for further development, despite the decline in the number of live births. Overall consumption will grow by 11.3% during the next six years to reach 298,211 tons in 2023.
What else does this report offer?
- Consumption data based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing work and our in-house expertise to offer extensive data about the trends and dynamics affecting the industry.
- Detailed profile of the companies operating and new companies considering entry in the industry along with their key focus product sectors.
- Market profile of the various product sectors with the key features & developments, segmentation, per capita trends and the various manufacturers & brands.
- Overview of baby food retailing with a mention of the major retailers in the country along with the distribution channel.
- Future projections considering various trends which are likely to affect the industry.
- Consumers are becoming increasingly sophisticated and are changing the way they think about and buy baby food. Delhi and Mumbai enjoy the highest demand for baby foods, particularly imported brands.
- Demand and consumption patterns for baby milks are fairly consistent across the regions, except in eastern India, where consumption tends to be lower. Northern and western India have the highest consumption rates for cereals. In northern India, where birth rates are higher than average, demand for milks and cereals is strongest.
- In November, 2016, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, under the Diet4Life initiative, eased import regulations for infant formula for infants with inborn metabolism problems.
- The rate of growth is expected to pick up over the next five years as penetration of infant foods expands into more households. Per capita consumption levels of baby food (based on infants aged 0-36 months) are expected to increase by 17% over the forecast period to 11.5kg in 2021.
- In terms of manufacturer involvement, the market will continue to be led by the main suppliers, Nestle and GCMMF. Danone, Abbott, and Mead Johnson are showing increased commitment to the Indian market and this is likely to be a factor in increased sales.
Reasons to buy
- Evaluate important changes in consumer behavior and identify profitable markets and areas for product innovation.
- Analyse current and forecast behavior trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit.
- Detailed understanding of consumption by individual product categories in order to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Investigates which categories are performing the best and how this is changing market dynamics.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Background to the Market
- The Consumer
- Socio-Demographic Trends
- Working Women
- Breastfeeding Trends
- Market Overview
- Manufacturers Shares
- Category Analysis
- Baby Milks
- Baby Cereals & Dry Meals
- Production and trade
- Company profiles
- Nestle India Ltd
- Danone India Pvt Limited
- Abbott Nutrition
- Mead Johnson Nutrition (India) Pvt Ltd
- Raptakos Brett & Co Ltd
- Baby Food Retailing
- Economic background
- Economic Background
- Key Macroeconomic Forecasts
- Prospects and forecasts
- Birth & Population Projections
- Forecast Overview
- Future Trends
- Additional Data Tables
- Summary Methodology
- About GlobalData