Product Code: CS0061TG
Japan ranks seventh in terms of per capita expenditure in US$, ahead of South Korea, China, and Malaysia. The per capita expenditure on wine products declined at a CAGR of about 0.4% during 2011-2016, mainly due to the financial crisis during 2009-2011, and a massive earthquake in 2011, which pushed the country into relative turmoil and adversely impacted the spending power of consumers.
Japanese wine market declined during 2011-2016 in US dollar terms, mostly due to the depreciation of the Japanese yen against the US dollar during this time period.Due to the strengthening local currency and increasing consumer confidence, the country's wine market is forecast to witness a substantial growth, at a CAGR of more than 6% over 2016-2021.
With the exception of certain regions, Japan's climate and soil conditions are unsuitable for wine farming, so the country has to rely on imports, which presents an opportunity for foreign producers.
Japanese Wine market is being led by the Still Wine category in volume terms which accounted for over 89% share in 2016. Further, the Fortified Wine category is expected to record the fastest volume growth at a CAGR of more than 6% during 2016-2021 and will reach around 9.5 million liters by 2021.
The report "Top Growth Opportunities: Wine in Japan", provides recommended actions and detailed analysis of how to target the best growth opportunities for Wine producers and retailers. Readers can understand what categories, channels, companies, and consumers will drive the success of Wine markets in Japan through our detailed and robust data, expert insight, and case studies.
In particular, this report provides the following -
- Key consumer demographic groups driving consumption within the Japanese market. Improve your consumer targeting by understanding who's driving the market, what they want, and why.
- A study of market value and volumes over 2011-2016 for Japan, supplemented with category, brand and packaging analysis that shows the current state of the market, and how it will evolve over the 2016-2021 period.
- White space analysis, to pinpoint attractive spaces in the market and the key actions to take
- Insight into the implications behind the data, and analysis of how the consumer needs will evolve in the short-to-medium term future.
- Examples of international and regional, national product innovation targeting key consumer needs.
Companies mentioned in this report:Aeon, 7-Eleven, Mercian, Beam Suntory, E & J Gallo Winery, Carlo Rossi, Franzia
- Wine production in Japan is limited so the market relies on low tariff imports.
- The market grew at a CAGR of 4.8% in volume terms between 2011 and 2016, though this will slow to a slightly slower rate in the next five years to 2021 at a CAGR of 3.7%.
- Still wine is by far the largest category in the sector, but fortified wine is the most rapidly growing at 13% CAGR during 2011-2016.
- The Economic Partnership Agreement reached between Japan and the EU should see tariffs elimiated on European wines, which may put them at a competitive advantage.
Reasons to buy
- This report brings together consumer analysis and market data to provide actionable insight into the behavior of Japan's Wine consumers.
- This is based on GlobalData's unique consumer data, developed from extensive consumption surveys and consumer group tracking, which quantifies the influence of 20 consumption motivations in the Wine sector.
- Category, brand, and packaging dynamics are also examined. This allows product and marketing strategies to be better aligned with the leading trends in the market.
Table of Contents
- 1. Introducing a top growth market for wine
- Top 10 global growth opportunities scores
- Top global issues
- Assessment against global strategic issues
- GlobalData's strategic issues map
- Predicted future issues for the global sector
- Reward and risk assessment
- Opportunity score - overview
- Wine consumer spending trends - peer group comparisons
- Political, economic, social, and technological: analysis
- Enablers and inhibitors of growth
- Wine rewards and opportunities for growth
- Summary of the market
- 2. Market insight - identifying the opportunities to move into
- Market growth by category
- Value growth of the market
- Volume growth of the market
- Level of premiumization by category
- Category analysis - key drivers of change
- 3. Retail and distribution insight - key channels and retailers driving growth
- Wine retail channel share
- Key retail channel trends
- Routes to market
- Drivers of change in the sector
- 4. Company and brand insight - the competitive landscape defined
- Category fragmentation
- Company and brand strength
- International and domestic brand analysis
- Company and brand strength summary
- 5. Consumer insight - who, what, when, where, and why
- Strategic issues map
- Key consumer driver implications
- Key consumers trends
- consumer groups
- Key health & wellness trends
- Consumer trends summary
- 6. Product and packaging insights
- key product insights
- Trends and strategic issues - other notable product trends
- Key product innovation case studies
- Key packaging insights
- Trends and strategic issues
- product launch key takeouts
- 7. White spaces and innovation opportunities - space to move into
- Growth segments to target
- Consumer spaces to target
- Segment focus: opportunities
- Price dynamics
- Product launch key takeouts
- Key recommendations
- 8. Appendix and Definitions
List of Tables
- Visualization of 10 countries growth opportunities
- Visualization of 10 countries growth opportunities (continued)
- Reward and risk assessment
- Market value and split, 2011-2021
- Winners and losers by category, value, 2016-2021
- Winners and losers by category, volume, 2016-2021
- Key consumption volume shares by consumer group, 2016
- Top categories by volume and CAGR, 2011-2016
- Average price change by brand, 2016