Product Code: GDHC481DFR
Macular Edema is a condition where fluid accumulates on the macula, leading to vision impairment or in severe cases even vision loss. The three main types of ME are diabetic macular edema (DME), and macular edema following either a central or branch retinal vein occlusion (ME-CRVO and ME-BRVO). Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a painless eye condition which leads to gradual, irreversible, loss of central vision, and is one of the leading causes of blindness among people aged 50 and over in the developed world. Currently the ME and AMD markets are dominated by the use of anti-VEGF monotherapy, however, in recent years, corticosteroid implants have been reaching the ME market which could challenge the stronghold these drugs have in this sector. The AMD market will see the arrival of the first therapies to treat dry AMD, fulfilling a huge unmet need in the management of this retinal disease, and these first-in-class therapies will strongly drive the market growth over the next ten years. The launch of wet AMD adjunctive therapies will also see a significant change in the treatment of AMD patients and have a positive impact on the market growth.
Avastin is active against all isoforms of VEGF-A, and can prevent it from interacting with its receptors on the surface of endothelial cells, which leads to the inhibition of angiogenesis, a key feature of both wAMD and DME. Therefore, in addition to its approved therapeutic role as an oncology drug, Avastin has been used off-label for many years as an IVT anti-VEGF treatment for these retinal diseases, despite the launch of Lucentis (a mAb fragment derived from the same parent murine antibody as Avastin) in 2006 for wAMD, which was also developed by Genentech.
- Overview of Macular Edema and Macular Degeneration, including epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines as well as an overview on the competitive landscape.
- Detailed information on Avastin including product description, safety and efficacy profiles as well as a SWOT analysis.
- Sales forecast for Avastin for the top seven countries from 2013 to 2023.
- Sales information covered for the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK and Japan
Reasons to buy
- Understand and capitalize by identifying products that are most likely to ensure a robust return.
- Stay ahead of the competition by understanding the changing competitive landscape for Macular Edema and Macular Degeneration.
- Effectively plan your M&A and partnership strategies by identifying drugs with the most promising sales potential.
- Make more informed business decisions from insightful and in-depth analysis of Avastin performance.
- Obtain sales forecast for Avastin from 2013-2023 in top seven countries (the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK and Japan).
Table of Contents
1. Table of Contents
- 1.1. List of Tables
- 1.2. List of Figures
3. Disease Overview
- 3.1. Macular Degeneration Overview
- 3.1.1. Etiology and Pathophysiology
- 3.1.2. Classification
- 3.1.3. Symptoms and Diagnosis
- 3.2. Macular Edema Overview
- 3.2.1. Etiology and Pathophysiology
- 3.2.2. Classification
- 3.2.3. Symptoms and Diagnosis
4. Disease Management
- 4.1. Diagnosis and Treatment Overview
- 4.1.1. Macular Edema Diagnosis
- 4.1.2. Macular Degeneration Diagnosis
- 4.1.3. Treatment Guidelines and Leading Prescribed Drugs
- 4.1.4. Clinical Practice
5. Competitive Assessment
6. Avastin (bevacizumab)
- 6.1. Overview
- 6.2. Efficacy - Macular Degeneration
- 6.3. Efficacy - Macular Edema
- 6.4. Safety
6.5. SWOT Analysis
- 7.1. Bibliography
- 7.2. Abbreviations
- 7.3. Methodology
- 7.4. Forecasting Methodology
- 7.4.1. Diagnosed ME and AMD Patients
- 7.4.2. Percentage of Drug-Treated Patients
- 7.4.3. General Pricing Assumptions
- 7.4.4. Individual Drug Assumptions
- 7.5. Primary Research - KOLs Interviewed for this Report
- 7.6. Primary Research - High-Prescribers Survey
- 7.7. About the Authors
- 7.7.1. Analyst
- 7.7.2. Therapy Area Director
- 7.7.3. Global Head of Healthcare
- 7.8. About GlobalData
- 7.9. Disclaimer
List of Tables
- Table 1: ARM System Classification of AMD
- Table 2: Symptoms of AMD
- Table 3: National and International Treatment Guidelines for ME and AMD
- Table 4: Most Prescribed Drugs for ME and AMD in the Global Markets, 2013
- Table 5: Leading Treatments for ME and AMD, 2014
- Table 6: Product Profile - Avastin
- Table 7: Avastin SWOT Analysis, 2014
- Table 8: Global Sales Forecast ($m) for Avastin, 2013-2023
- Table 9: Surveyed High-Prescribing Physicians (Non-KOLs), by Country
List of Figures
- Figure 1: Anatomy of the Eye and Macula
- Figure 2: Amsler Grid viewed by Patient with Normal Vision and with wAMD
- Figure 3: Color Fundus Photographs of Dry and Wet AMD
- Figure 4: FAF Imaging of GA
- Figure 5: Imaging of wAMD
- Figure 6: CMT in DME
- Figure 7: RVOs (BRVO and CRVO) on an FA
- Figure 8: Increased CRT in ME-RVO
- Figure 9: ME Clinical Treatment Flowchart
- Figure 10: AMD Clinical Treatment Flowchart