Product Code: GBIHC299MR
GBI Research, a leading business intelligence provider, has released its latest research report "Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Market to 2019 - Highly-Priced New Combination Products Forecast to Capture Significant Market Share and Drive Growth". The global COPD market is estimated to currently be worth $11.3 billion, and is forecast to reach a value of $15.6 billion by 2019. Much of this growth will be fuelled by a high number of new, more efficacious and convenient products entering the market and commanding greater value compared to the therapies already in the market. The drugs driving this growth include once-daily LABA/LAMA fixed-dose combinations such as QVA-149, umeclidinium bromide/vilanterol and olodaterol/tiotropium.
Despite recent patent expirations, including that of Advair Diskus (salmeterol/fluticasone propionate), a market leader, generic erosion in the COPD market may not be as pronounced as that observed in other indications. This is largely down to the difficulty in replicating a fixed-dose combination therapy and the associated device. Indeed, since the US patent expired in 2010, Advair Diskus has faced little generic competition.
Although the COPD market is characterized by low diagnosis rates, campaigns to increase awareness of the disease in both patients and physicians has resulted in steadily rising diagnosis of COPD. Therefore, this has also contributed to market growth throughout the forecast period.
- A disease introduction, which defines the disease, including symptoms, diagnosis and treatment.
- An analysis of the COPD marketed landscape, including a comparison of the efficacy and safety of the most prominent brands, displayed as a heat map.
- A detailed analysis of the COPD pipeline, detailing, among other parameters, drug distribution by phase, molecule type and mechanism of action. The COPD clinical trial landscape is then analysed, with a particular emphasis on failure rates across phases as well as the trends in clinical trial size and duration and by mechanism of action.
- An in-depth forecasting model for the COPD market, which considers the current marketed therapies, in addition to the potential market entry of new products. The model consists of a projected outcome, with high and low variance results, depending on the potential performance of pipeline therapies. This takes into account worst and best case scenarios for market uptake, costs and patent expirations.
- Strategic consolidations within the COPD indication are analyzed, which includes co-development and licensing agreements.
- An overview of the drivers and barriers for the COPD market is also included.
Reasons to buy
- Primarily, the report will allow clients to gain a strong understanding of the COPD indication, helping to identify and understand market opportunities and the emerging competitive environment. It will also allow you to:
- Understand the COPD pipeline and the factors which indicate that it is becoming more innovative as well as the key pipeline molecules that look set to have a big impact upon the COPD market.
- Observe detailed profiles for the promising pipeline products and gain insights into how they are likely to compete in the market, and what their main competitors will be.
- Follow the trends in COPD clinical trial size and duration in relation to industry averages. In addition, the report will enable you to assess the potential risk of future developmental programs for COPD therapeutics, depending on the mechanism of action, by considering the recorded clinical trial failure rates.
- Observe the potential growth patterns expected for the COPD market over the forecast period, and identify which countries are expected to contribute most to this growth.
UK COPD Drug Market to Expand as Growing Prevalence Drives Growth
The UK will witness an increase in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in the near future, with the corresponding therapy market demonstrating greater revenue growth as a result, expects healthcare industry experts GBI Research.
The firm's latest report* forecasts COPD prevalence in the UK will climb from 2.3 million in 2012 to 2.8 million in 2019, while other major European countries, including Germany, France, Italy and Spain, are anticipated to experience relatively stable patient figures.
Correspondingly, the UK's COPD therapeutics market value is expected to outperform its European competitors in terms of growth, with revenue climbing from $483m in 2012 to $855m in 2019 at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 8.5%.
The disease is the fifth-leading cause of death in the world is a progressive disorder associated with chronic inflammation of the airways and lungs.
GBI Research believes the UK's steadily rising COPD prevalence could be attributed to greater awareness and diagnosis of COPD amongst younger people. The early stages of COPD often go undiagnosed, resulting in low diagnosis rates, but this is expected to improve across the UK in the following decade.
The global COPD therapeutics market will be driven by the entry of new, more efficacious and convenient products over the coming years. Upcoming combination drugs including Novartis's QVA-149, GSK's umeclidinium bromide/vilanterol and Boehringer Ingelheim's olodaterol/tiotropium promise greater efficacy than their individual components and currently available treatments, and the continued growth of the industry will rely largely on their success.
The new report states that much of the unmet need associated with COPD can be linked to poor treatment adherence. Accordingly, current drug development programs are focusing on producing long-acting, once-daily medications that offer greater convenience over many current treatments that require more frequent dosages.
*Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Market to 2019 - Highly-Priced New Combination Products Forecast to Capture Significant Market Share and Drive Growth
This report provides detailed analysis of the COPD pipeline, detailing, among other parameters, drug distribution by phase, molecule type and mechanism of action. The COPD clinical trial landscape is then analysed, with a particular emphasis on failure rates across phases as well as the trends in clinical trial size and duration and by mechanism of action.
This report was built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research, and in-house analysis conducted by GBI Research's team of industry experts.
Table of Contents
1. Table of Contents
- 1.1. List of Tables
- 1.2. List of Figures
- 2.1. Disease Introduction
- 2.2. Symptoms
- 2.3. Etiology
- 2.4. Pathophysiology
- 2.5. Diagnosis
- 2.6. Assessment of Disease Severity
- 2.7. Treatment
- 2.7.1. Treatment Algorithm
3 Marketed Products
- 3.1. Product Profile
- 3.1.1. Spiriva - Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Pfizer Inc.
- 3.1.2. Advair Diskus - GlaxoSmithKline
- 3.1.3. Symbicort - AstraZeneca (Co-promotion with Astellas Pharma Inc)
- 3.1.4. Combivent- Boehringer Ingelheim
- 3.1.5. Foradil - Novartis (Co-marketed by Novartis and Schering Corporation)
- 3.1.6. Arcapta/Onbrez Breezhaler - Novartis
- 3.1.7. Daliresp - Nycomed
- 3.1.8. Seebri Breezhaler - Novartis
- 3.1.9. Striverdi Respimat - Boehringer Ingelheim
- 3.1.10. Relvar/Breo - GlaxoSmithKline/Theravance
- 3.1.11. Heat Map - Marketed Products Overview
4. COPD Pipeline
- 4.1. Overview
- 4.2. Mechanisms of Action in the Pipeline
- 4.3. Clinical Trials
- 4.3.1. Failure Rate
- 4.3.2. Clinical Trial Duration
- 4.3.3. Clinical Trial Size
- 4.4. Promising Pipeline Molecules
- 4.4.1. Umeclidinium Bromide - GlaxoSmithKline
- 4.4.2. Umeclidinium Bromide + Vilanterol - GlaxoSmithKline/Theravance
- 4.4.3. Vilanterol Trifenatate - GlaxoSmithKline/Theravance
- 4.4.4. Olodaterol + tiotropium - Boehringer Ingelheim
- 4.4.5. TD-4208 - Theravance
- 4.4.6. QVA-149 - Novartis
- 4.4.7. Andolast (CR 2039) - Rottapharm | Madaus
- 4.5. Heat Map of Safety and Efficacy for Pipeline and Marketed Products
5. Market Forecast to 2019
- 5.1. Geographical Markets
- 5.1.1. Global Market
- 5.1.2. United States
- 5.1.3. Top Five Countries of Europe
- 5.1.4. Japan
- 5.2. Drivers and Barriers for the COPD Market
- 5.2.1. Drivers
- 5.2.2. Barriers
6. Strategic Consolidations
- 6.1. Major Co-development Deals
- 6.1.1. Galapagos Enters into Strategic Alliance with Roche
- 6.1.2. Five Prime Therapeutics Enters into Co-development Agreement with GlaxoSmithKline
- 6.1.3. Forest Labs Enters into Co-development Agreement with Nycomed
- 6.2. Major Licensing Deals
- 6.2.1. Orexo Enters into Licensing Agreement with Ortho-McNeil-Janssen and Janssen Pharmaceutica
- 6.2.2. Mundipharma Enters into Licensing Agreement with SkyePharma
- 6.2.3. Evotec Enters into Licensing Agreement with Zhejiang Conba Pharma for EVT 401
- 6.2.4. Halozyme Therapeutics Enters into Licensing Agreement with Intrexon
- 7.1. All Pipeline Drugs by Phase
- 7.1.1. Discovery
- 7.1.2. Pre-clinical
- 7.1.3. Phase I
- 7.1.4. Phase II
- 7.1.5. Phase III
- 7.1.6. Filed
- 7.1.7. Undisclosed
- 7.1.8. Market Forecasts to 2019
- 7.1.9. The United States
- 7.1.10. The UK
- 7.1.11. France
- 7.1.12. Germany
- 7.1.13. Italy
- 7.1.14. Spain
- 7.1.15. Japan
- 7.2. Market Definition
- 7.3. Abbreviations
- 7.4. References
- 7.4.1. References for Pipeline Heat Map
- 7.4.2. References for Marketed Products Heat Map
- 7.5. Methodology
- 7.6. Coverage
- 7.7. Secondary Research
- 7.8. Therapeutic Landscape
- 7.9. Epidemiology-Based Forecasting
- 7.10. Market Size by Geography
- 7.11. Geographical Landscape
- 7.12. Pipeline Analysis
- 7.13. Competitive Landscape
- 7.13.1. Expert Panel Validation
- 7.14. Contact Us
- 7.15. Disclaimer
List of Tables
- Table 1: COPD Market, Introduction, Disease Severity, 2012
- Table 2: COPD Market, Introduction, Treatment Algorithm, 2012
- Table 3: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Discovery, 2013
- Table 4: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Pre-clinical, 2013
- Table 5: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Phase I, 2013
- Table 6: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Phase II, 2013
- Table 7: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Phase III, 2013
- Table 8: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Filed, 2013
- Table 9: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Undisclosed, 2013
- Table 10: COPD, Global, Market Forecast, 2012-2019
- Table 11: COPD, US, Market Forecast, 2012-2019
- Table 12: COPD, UK, Market Forecast, 2012-2019
- Table 13: COPD, France, Market Forecast, 2012-2019
- Table 14: COPD, Germany, Market Forecast, 2012-2019
- Table 15: COPD, Italy, Market Forecast, 2012-2019
- Table 16: COPD, Spain, Market Forecast, 2012-2019
- Table 17: COPD, Japan, Market Forecast, 2012-2019
List of Figures
- Figure 1: COPD Market, Global, Marketed Products, Heat Map, 2012
- Figure 2: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, 2012
- Figure 3: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline by Mechanism of Action, 2012
- Figure 4: COPD Market, Global, Clinical Trials, Failure Rate, 2012
- Figure 5: COPD Market, Global, Clinical Trials, Failure Rates by
- Figure 6: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Failure Rates by Mechanism of Action, Heat Map, 2012
- Figure 7: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Clinical Trial Duration, 2012
- Figure 8: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Clinical Trial Duration by Mechanism, 2012
- Figure 9: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Clinical Trial Size, 2012
- Figure 10: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Clinical Trial Size by Mechanism of Action, 2012
- Figure 11: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Number of Clinical Trials per Drug, 2012
- Figure 12: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Efficacy Heat Map, 2012
- Figure 13: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Safety Heat Map, 2012
- Figure 14: COPD Market, Global, Marketed Products, Heat Map, 2012
- Figure 15: COPD Market, Global, Pipeline, Competitor Grid, 2012
- Figure 16: COPD Market, Global, Treatment Patterns, 2012-2019
- Figure 17: COPD Market, Global, Market Size ($m) 2012-2019
- Figure 18: COPD Market, the US, Treatment Usage Patterns, Annual Cost of Treatment ($), 2012-2019
- Figure 19: COPD Market, US, Market Size ($m), 2012-2019
- Figure 20: COPD Market, Top Five EU Countries, Treatment Usage Patterns, 2012-2019
- Figure 21: COPD Market, Top Five EU Countries, Annual Cost of Treatment, 2012-2019
- Figure 22: COPD Market, Top Five EU Countries, Market Size ($m), 2012-2019
- Figure 23: COPD Market, Japan, Treatment Usage Patterns, Annual Cost of Treatment ($), 2012-2019
- Figure 24: COPD Market, Japan, Market Size ($m), 2012-2019
- Figure 25: COPD Market, Global, Co-development Deals, 2006-2012
- Figure 26: COPD Market, Global, Number and Aggregate Value of Co-development Deals by Year, 2006-2013
- Figure 27: COPD Market, Global, Licensing Deals, 2006-2012
- Figure 28: COPD Market, Global, Number and Aggregate Value of Licensing Deals by Year, 2006-2012
- Figure 29: COPD Market, Global, Licensing Deals, 2006-2012
- Figure 30: COPD Market, Global, Licensing Deals by Phase and Molecule Type and Aggregate Deal Value, 2006-2012
- Figure 31: COPD Market, Global, Licensing Deals by Mechanism of Action, 2006-2012
- Figure 32: COPD Market, Global, GBI Research Market Sizing Model