Product Code: MF3B-67
Growth Opportunities for a Web 3.0-Enabled World
Blockchain is finally overcoming early confusion and hype. It is a spectrum technology that can be applied to achieve many possible outcomes.
Its best uses are in the creation of trusted digital connective tissue in open, complex ecosystems and in the programmatic creation of digital value where it cannot be easily be replaced by centralized systems. It can be used to disrupt and should not be ignored.
Used to enable ecosystem-scale digital transformation, effective blockchain solutions are context-dependent. The technology is hyper-modular and hyper-specific. As an emerging industry, it is hyper-democratized, hyper-dynamic, and highly fragmented. It is challenging convention in every domain. For these reasons, it is best understood when seen through a systems lens. From this perspective, the industry looks like an enterprise blockchain multiverse.
Blockchain is at an inflection point reaching enterprise minimum viable product. The enterprise space represents the lion's share of the global productive economy, and big players are targeting the digital transformation of high-value ecosystems. Frost & Sullivan expects to see profound developments through 2026 and beyond as blockchain is used to automate process flows in multiple domains.
Frost & Sullivan has been covering the technology industry for more than 25 years. Because the coming era of software and IT development is more complex and dynamic than ever, this study leverages a new paradigm for analysis that includes systems thinking, complexity theory, network theory, and game theory. The goal is to prepare readers for a blockchain-enabled world by setting the context for understanding the enterprise outcomes and potential effects that the wide-scale adoption of this technology set will have on their businesses and operations.
Key Issues Addressed:
- How do you get your hands around an industry that is fragmented and global in scope, and plan in this context?
- Why are blockchain solutions so relevant to our times?
- What industry transformations are likely to arise from the broad adoption of enterprise blockchain, and what complex dynamics will challenge and constrain them?
- What are the current and the forecasted end states of the enterprise blockchain services industry, and what might the roadmap look like at an industry scale?
- What solutions and services are available today?
- Where are the ecosystem hot spots of development?
- Which companies, organizations, and institutions are leading the way?
- How should companies, organizations, and institutions position in their relevant ecosystems?
- How can you begin to develop ecosystem strategies?
- What capabilities and competencies will be needed to navigate through the coming transitions and thrive?
Table of Contents
- Key Findings
- Key Findings (continued)
Research Scope and Objectives
- Research Scope and Analytical Framework
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- The Big Picture-Blockchain is Part of an Industry Paradigm Shift
- Reframing Industry Analysis and Strategy Development
- The Many Definitions of Blockchain-All Are Correct
- Why Blockchain is so Relevant in Our Current Context
- Blockchain and Digital Transformation Perspectives
- A Systems View of Industry Dynamics Yields Better Insights
- Enterprise Blockchain Industry End-State Analysis
- End-State Analysis-Blockchain Generations 1.0 and 2.0
- End-State Analysis-Blockchain Generation 3.0
- End-State Analysis-Blockchain Generations 4.0 and 5.0
- Industry Measurements
- Industry Measurements (continued)
Technical Analysis-The Vendor Side
- Technology Industry Trends with Structural Impact
- Achieving Product-Market Fit in a Fragmented Industry
- Key Elements of Vendor-Side Technical Analysis
- Component Capabilities and Solution Sets
- End-State Technical Analysis-An Overview
- End-State Technology Reference Model-Generations 1.0 and 2.0
- End-State Technology Reference Model-Generation 3.0
- End-State Technology Reference Model-Generation 4.0
- End-State Technology Reference Model-Generation 5.0
- The Nascent State of Enterprise Demand
- Capabilities, Feasibility, Feedback, and Market Signaling
- Designing Solutions for Open and Complex Ecosystems
- Unbundling Blockchain Use Cases
- Auditability Capabilities
- Track and Trace and Automation Capabilities
- Connectivity Capabilities
- Digital Asset Capabilities
- End-State Ecosystems-Toward a System of Systems
Enterprise Blockchain Solutions Today
- Blockchain Solutions Today-The Debate Over Definitions
- Platformization, Productization, Servicization, and Strategic Projects
- The Big Tech Players
- Public-First Hybrid Mainnet Operators
- Private-First Protocols and Frameworks with No Operating Mainnets
- Private-First Protocols with Operating Mainnets
- Innovators and Challengers
- Extensibility and Interoperability Reference Case (Tendermint)
- Other Interoperability Projects and Services
- Horizontal Services-Identity, Privacy, and Self-Sovereignty
- Data-centric Service Examples
- Vertical Service Examples (there are hundreds)
Growth Opportunities and Hot Spots of Development
- Growth Opportunities and Hot Spots of Development
- National Digital Infrastructure Growth Opportunities
- National Digital Infrastructure Hot Spot-China
- Decentralized Finance Growth Opportunities
- Decentralized Finance Hot Spot
- Decentralized Finance-US Blockchain Market
- Decentralized Finance-Cryptocurrency Investment Activity
- Global Trade Ecosystem Growth Opportunities
- Global Trade Ecosystem Hot Spot
- Global Trade Ecosystem-Universal Trade Network
- Social Impact Ecosystem and Greenfield Market Growth Opportunities
- Social Impact Ecosystem and Greenfield Market Hot Spot
- Social Impact Ecosystem and Greenfield Market Case Studies
- Healthcare Ecosystem Growth Opportunities
- Healthcare Ecosystem Hot Spots
Bringing It All Together-A Blockchain Multiverse
- A Transforming System of Systems in the Blockchain Multiverse
- A Transforming Multiverse of Ecosystem Markets
- A Transforming Multiverse of Ecosystem Domains
- A Transforming Multiverse of Ecosystem Domains (continued)
- A Transforming Multiverse of Ecosystem Domains (continued)
- Bringing It All Together-5 Key Questions to Consider
- The Answers as We See Them Today
The Last Word
- Critical Success Factors for Building Digital Connective Tissue in a Web 3.0-Enabled World
- Enterprise Blockchain Multiverse-Opportunities for Participants
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Abbreviations
- List of Exhibits