Product Code: PA1D-67
Mobile Application, Sensors, and Satellite Imaging are Central to Developing Successful Smart Farming Practices in Africa
This study focuses on an understanding of smart farming practices and the ways in which farmers can make data-driven decisions regarding crop rotation, planting and harvesting times, soil management, and weather prediction. The study will provide an analysis on the Sub-Saharan African region, with information on Middle East and North Africa added as necessary. The forecasting will include both the regions.
The technology scope will cover the following categories: mobile application, sensors, robots, satellite imaging, and drones. The categories for start-ups are: finance and insurance, logistics and equipment sharing, communication tools, integrated platforms, precision agriculture, and IoT network.
The study provides detailed information on key emerging technology convergence leading to the development of smart farming along with the key start-ups across the agriculture value chain, which requires automated processes and systems to sustainably increase output and influence economic growth.
The study also describes the factors influencing technology convergence in the farming sector such as autonomous systems, data management and analytics, robots, wireless communication, and regulations, whilst highlighting the technologies that will play a significant part in improving agricultural processes by increasing control over resources and enhancing productivity globally and regionally.
In terms of Africa's digital agriculture journey, it has been ascertained that mobile connectivity and applications are enabling farmers to have access to market-related information, digital financial services, and innovative services such as tractor sharing. Furthermore, the combination of ICT solutions such as precision equipment, Internet of Things (IoT), sensors, geo-positioning systems, data analytics, and drones is changing the way in which traditional farming is conducted in Africa.
Key Issues Addressed:
- What are the main components in the agriculture value chain and who are the key stakeholders?
- What are the key global trends shaping the agricultural sector?
- What are the key drivers and restraints affecting the development of the smart agriculture market?
- What is the size of the MEA market?
- Who are the key start ups in Africa driving the development and adoption of smart farming?
- How are emerging African start-ups advancing in the smart farming market?
- What are the potential growth opportunities that smart farming companies can capitalise on to grow their businesses and stay competitive?
- Identify Economies of Scale: Global suppliers of agricultural products and equipment are the more attractive market for IoT than fragmented farming production. Nonetheless, some mega-farms can offer the scale to make IoT service provision profitable.
- Gather Agriculture Data: African start-ups are gathering predictive intelligence that they believe will create an unassailable competitive advantage in key areas of agriculture and related industries. Predictions for the impact of weather, soil conditions, and livestock health will become increasingly accurate for Africa.
- Monetise Data to Multiple Customer Types: Across all stages of the agriculture value chain, agricultural data is valuable for government departments, insurers, commodity traders, and developers of machine learning systems, among others.
Table of Contents
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
2. SMART FARMING-RESEARCH PERSPECTIVE
- Research Scope
- Research Scope-Agriculture Value Chain
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Information Technology in the Agricultural Sector
- Digital Trends-Shaping Global Agricultural Sector
3. SMART FARMING-GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE
- Increasing Global Demands
- Significance of Agriculture-A Major Employment Generator in Developing Countries
- Factors Influencing Technology Convergence
- Technology Architecture of Precision Agriculture
- USA Farming Success
4. SMART FARMING-CURRENT AND EMERGING TRENDS IN AFRICA
- Africa's Digital Agriculture Journey-Emerging Trends
- Current Trend-Mobile Application
- Emerging Trends-Cloud Platforms, IoT, and Data Analytics
- Technologies Influencing Future Precision Agriculture-A Road Map
- New Business Models-Value Chain of Data
- Start-ups in Africa
- Start-ups in Africa-Examples
- Current Trends-Digital Data Aggregation and Dissemination
- Current Trends-Digital Financial Services
- Current Trends-Logistics and Equipment Sharing Platforms
- Current Trends-Integrated Platforms
- Emerging Trends-Precision Agriculture
- Opportunities for Smart Agriculture
- Agricultural Sector-Requirements for Digital Transformation
5. DRIVERS AND RESTRAINTS
- Drivers Explained
- Restraints Explained
6. IOT CONNECTED DEVICES-SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA AND MIDDLE EAST
- Agriculture IoT Connected Devices Forecast-Qualifiers and Determining Factors: Africa
- Agriculture IoT Connected Devices Forecast-Qualifiers and Determining Factors: Africa (continued)
- Africa-A Global Perspective
- Agriculture IoT Connected Devices-Africa Forecast
7. GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES AND COMPANIES TO ACTION
- Growth Opportunity 1-Increased Crop Output
- Growth Opportunity 2-Digital Insurance and Financial Services
- Growth Opportunity 3-Digital Agricultural Practices
- Strategic Imperatives for Smart Agriculture
8. THE LAST WORD
- The Last Word-3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Exhibits
- List of Exhibits (continued)
10. THE FROST & SULLIVAN STORY
- The Frost & Sullivan Story
- Value Proposition-Future of Your Company & Career
- Global Perspective
- Industry Convergence
- 360° Research Perspective
- Implementation Excellence
- Our Blue Ocean Strategy