Fiber Optic Circulators are non-reciprocal devices, which means that changes in the properties of light passing through the device are not reversed when the light passes through in the opposite direction. The optical device is commonly used in a wide variety of systems, here are just a few examples: dispersion compensation, optical sensors, optical amplifiers, WDM systems, optical add/drops multiplexing (OADMs) and test/measurement instruments such as optical time-domain reflectometers (OTDRs), remote fiber (optic) test systems (RFTS) and other test equipment.
Fiber optic circulator functionality is an excellent candidate for integrating with a transmitter and receiver into a single package. Circulators provide an ideal solution for coupling devices into a fiber optic network without the inherent 3dB loss of an optical coupler. Circulators directional functionality enable simultaneously adding and dropping signals from a fiber as well as coupling other optical signal processing devices.
The deployment of optical fiber in the metro/access, the continuing demand for upgrading networks to accommodate rapidly increasing bandwidth requirements, plus the need for additional monitoring and testing of the optical fiber networks will drive the steady consumption of fiber optic circulators.
Fiber optic circulators are used with erbium-doped fiber amplifiers (EDFA), fiber optic sensor applications, dense WDM (DWDM), optical add/drop multiplexing (OADM), optical time domain reflectometers (OTDR fiber optic test equipment), SANs (Storage Area Networks), bi-directional transmission systems, dispersion compensators, and other devices.
This report by ElectroniCast Consultants provides a detailed fiber optic circulator market analysis/review and forecast for each year, 2015-2020. The forecast is presented in terms of Quantity (number of units), Average Selling Prices (ASPs) per unit and Consumption Values. The forecast data for the following regions, plus a Global summary:
- America (South, Central and North America)
- EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa)
- APAC (Asia Pacific)
The forecasts are presented in the following application segments:
- Private Data Networks
- Cable TV
- Military/ Aerospace
- Specialty Applications
The fiber optic circulator market is presented by the following port-count configurations:
- 3 - Ports
- 4 - Ports
- More than 4 - Ports (> 4 - Ports)
Market Research Methodology Information Base
This study is based on analysis of information obtained continually over the past two decades, but updated through the end of February 2016. During this period, ElectroniCast analysts performed interviews with authoritative and representative individuals in the fiber optics, telecommunications, datacom, cable TV and other communication industries, from the standpoint of both suppliers and users of fiber optic transmission links. The interviews were conducted principally with:
- Engineers, marketing personnel and management at manufacturers of fiber optic collimators, specialty fiber, connectors, isolators, couplers, DWDM filter modules, dispersion compensators, photonic switches, attenuators, modulators, transmitters/receivers, OADMs and other related optical communication components.
- Engineers, marketing, purchasing personnel and market planners at major users of passive and active optical components, such as telecommunication transmission, switching, distribution and apparatus equipment, regional and inter-exchange (IXC) telephone companies, alternative local carriers, data communications equipment companies, cable TV system suppliers, military/aerospace OEMs, utilities and a number of other end users of fiber optic communication components and technology.
The interviews covered issues of technology, pricing, contract size, reliability, and documentation, installation/maintenance crafts, standards, supplier competition and other topics. A full review of published information was also performed to supplement information obtained through interviews. The following sources were reviewed:
- Professional technical journals and papers; Trade press articles
- Technical conference proceedings
- Additional information based on previous ElectroniCast market studies, including the Fiber Optic Forecast Service Data Base, the Fiber Optic Cable Forecast, the Optical Amplifier and Component Global Forecast, the Intraenclosure Optical Interconnect Forecast, the Fiber Optic Installation Apparatus Forecast, the Fiber Optic Coupler Forecast, the Fiber Optic Circulator, Attenuator, Isolator, Filter, Collimators, DWDM, Switch, Optical Add/Drop Multiplexers, Transmitters/Receivers, SONET/SDH, and other related component Market Forecasts
- Personal knowledge of the research team
In analyzing and forecasting the complexities of the Global market for fiber optic communication components, it is essential that the market research team have a good and a deep understanding of the technology and of the industry. ElectroniCast members who participated in this report were qualified.
ElectroniCast forecasts are developed initially at the lowest detail level and then summed to successively higher levels. The background market research focuses on the amount of each type of product used in each application in the base year (2015), and the prices paid at the first transaction from the manufacturer. This forms the base year data. ElectroniCast analysts then forecast the growth rates in component quantity use in each application, along with price trends, based on competitive, economic and technology forecast trends, and apply these to derive long term forecasts at the lowest application levels. The usage growth rate forecasts depend heavily on analysis of overall end user trends toward digital broadband communication equipment usage and economic payback.
Cross-Correlation Increases Accuracy The quantities of fiber optic transmitters/receivers, modulators, isolators, circulators, couplers, DWDM filters, attenuators, optical amplifiers and other optical communication components used in a particular application are interrelated. Since ElectroniCast conducts annual analysis and forecast updates in each component field, accurate current quantity estimates are part of the corporate database. These quantities are cross-correlated as a "sanity check".
ElectroniCast, each year since 1985, has conducted extensive research and updated their forecasts of each fiber optic component category. As technology and applications have advanced, the number of component subsets covered by the forecasts has expanded impressively.
ElectroniCast, founded in 1981, specializes in forecasting technology and global market trends in fiber optics communication components and devices, as well providing market data on light emitting diodes used in lighting.
As an independent consultancy we offer multi-client and custom market research studies to the world's leading companies based on comprehensive, in- depth analysis of quantitative and qualitative factors. This includes technology forecasting, markets and applications forecasting, strategic planning, competitive analysis, customer-satisfaction surveys and marketing/sales consultation. ElectroniCast, founded as a technology-based independent consulting firm, meets the information needs of the investment community, industry planners and related suppliers.
Director of Study
Stephen Montgomery, MBA in Technology Management, President at ElectroniCast Consultants. He joined ElectroniCast in 1990 and has specialized in photonics and fiber optic components market & technology forecasting at ElectroniCast for over 25-years. He has given numerous presentations and published a number of articles on optical communication markets, technology, applications and installations. He is a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of LIGHTWAVE magazine (PennWell Publishing) and writes a monthly article covering the optical communication industry for OPTCOM Magazine in Japan (Kogyo Tsushin Co., Ltd.).
All data and other information contained in this data base are proprietary to ElectroniCast and may not be distributed or provided in either original or reproduced form to anyone outside the client's internal employee organization, without prior written permission of ElectroniCast.
ElectroniCast, in addition to multiple-client programs, conducts proprietary custom studies for single clients in all areas of management planning and interest. Other independent consultants, therefore, are considered directly competitive. ElectroniCast proprietary information may not be provided to such consultants without written permission from ElectroniCast Consultants.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
- 1.1 Fiber Optic Circulator Market Forecast Overview
- 1.2 Technology Overview
- 1.3 Use of Fiber Optics in Harsh Environments
- 1.4 Fiber Optic Networks - Overview
2. Fiber Optic Circulator Competition
- 2.1 Company Profiles - Fiber Optic Circulator and Selected Related Products
- Accelink Technologies Co., Ltd./ WTD
- AC Photonics, Inc.
- AFW Technologies Pty. Ltd.
- Agilecom Fiber Solution
- AGILTRON Inc.
- Alliance Fiber Optic Products, Inc. (AFOP)
- AOC Technologies Inc. (AOC)
- Ascentta Inc
- Boston Applied Technologies Incorporated (BATi)
- Clearfield, Inc.
- Crowntech Photonics
- CVI Melles Griot
- DiCon Fiber Optics Inc.
- DK Photonics Technology Limited
- Edmund Optics
- Electro-Optics Technology, Inc
- FDK Corporation
- Fiberer Global Tech Ltd.
- Fiberlake Technology Co. Ltd (Shenzhen)
- Finisar Corporation
- Flyin Optronics Co., Ltd.
- General Photonics
- Golight Technology Co., Ltd (Shenzhen)
- Gould Fiber Optics
- Hitachi High Technologies America
- Ingellen Technology Company
- Integrated Photonics Inc.
- Kyocera Corporation
- Lightel Technologies Inc.
- LightPath Technologies, Inc.
- LINOS AG - Photonics
- Lumentum Operations LLC (JDSU)
- Microwave Photonic Systems (MPS), Inc.
- Newport Corporation
- OF-Link Communications Co., Ltd
- O-Net Communications Limited (Shenzhen Kaifa Technology Co., Ltd)
- Oplink Communications Inc. (Molex)
- OptiWorks, Inc.
- Opto-Link Corporation Limited
- Optosun Technology
- Optowaves Inc.
- OZ Optics Limited
- Photop Technologies, Inc.
- Primanex Corporation
- Qbic Laser System Inc.
- Reliable Photonics
- SAE Magnetics (TDK) / OCC
- Senko Advanced Components, Inc.
- Shin-Etsu Chemical Company Limited
- Silicon Lightwave Technology, Inc
- Sumitomo Metal Mining (SMM)
- SUN Telecommunication Company, Limited
- Wuhan Yilut Optical Communication Co., Ltd.
- 2.2 Fiber Optic Circulator Competition: Market Share Estimates
3. Regional Market Forecasts
- 3.1 Fiber Optic Networks
- 3.2 Global Market Forecast Data Tables
- 3.3 America Market Forecast Data Tables
- EMEA Market Forecast Data Tables
- APAC Market Forecast Data Tables
4. Optical Communication Trends
- 4.1 Fiber Network Technology Trends
- 4.2 Components
- 4.2.1 Overview
- 4.2.2 Transmitters and Receivers
- 4.2.3 Optical Amplifiers
- 4.2.4 Dispersion Compensators
- 4.2.5 Fiber Optic Cable
- 4.3 Devices and Parts
- 4.3.1 Overview
- 4.3.2 Emitters and Detectors
- 4.3.3 VCSEL & Transceiver Technology Review
- 4.3.4 Optoelectronic Application-Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICs)
- 4.3.5 Modulators
- 4.3.6 Packages
- 4.3.7 Optoelectronic Integrated Circuits
- 5.1 ElectroniCast Research and Analysis Methodology
- 5.2 Assumptions of Fiber Optic Component Global Market Forecast
6. Definitions: Acronyms, Abbreviations, and General Terms
7 ElectroniCast Market Forecast Data Base - Overview and Tutorial
- 7.1 Overview
- 7.2 Tutorial
EXCEL - Data Base Spreadsheets
- Complete Market Forecast
- Data Tables
- Global and Global Applications
- America and America Applications
- EMEA and EMEA Applications
- APAC and APAC Applications
PowerPoint Slides - Market Data Summary Slides
List of Figures
- 1.1.1 4-Port Fiber Optic Circulator Application
- 1.1.2 Fiber Optic Circulator Use in DWDM/OADM Application
- 1.1.3 Polarization Maintaining Optical Circulator
- 1.1.4 Fiber Hut, Telecom Cabinets, and FTTH Network Configuration
- 1.1.5 Fiber Optic Equipment Building - Fiber Hut
- 1.1.6 Types of Metro Networks
- 1.2.1 Brillouin Scattering-Induced Transparency in a Series of Silica Microresonators
- 1.2.2 Configuration and Operation Illustration of 3-Port Optical Circulator
- 1.2.3 Polarization Change in PANDA Fiber
- 1.2.4 Panda Fiber - Profile
- 1.2.5 Bow-Tie Fiber Geometry
- 1.2.6 Polarization Maintaining Fiber Isolator
- 1.2.7 Micro-Fiber Isolator
- 1.2.8 Drawing of Forward Direction Through an Isolator
- 1.2.9 Absorbing or Displacing Light Propagating in the Reverse Direction
- 1.2.10 All-Fiber Isolator: Faraday Rotation of Light
- 1.2.11 Phase Matching Result: Fiber PBL, Wavelength and Temperature
- 1.2.12 Laser setup and mode-locker assembly using fiber optic isolators
- 2.1.1 Polarization Independent Optical Circulator
- 2.1.2 In-Line Optical Isolator
- 2.1.3 Polarization Maintaining Optical Circulator (Dimensions)
- 2.1.4 Fiber Optic Discrete Circulator
- 2.1.5 In-Line Optical Isolator L-band
- 2.1.6 Optical Circulator
- 2.1.7 1550nm Optical Isolator - Single / Dual Stage
- 2.1.8 4-Port Fiber Optic Circulator
- 2.1.9 In-Line Optical Isolator with Dimensions
- 2.1.10 Polarization Maintaining (PM) Fiber Optic Isolators (Single Stage and Dual Stage)
- 2.1.11 Fiber Optic Circulator
- 2.1.12 Faraday Rotators
- 2.1.13 Optical Isolators (Shortpak Optical Isolators)
- 2.1.14 Single Stage Optical Isolators
- 2.1.15 Polarization Insensitive Circulator
- 2.1.16 In-Line Fiber Optic Isolators
- 2.1.17 Product Coverage
- 2.1.18 Product Coverage
- 2.1.19 Fiber Optic Circulator
- 2.1.20 Fiber Optic Circulator
- 2.1.21 Locations
- 2.1.22 Fiber Optic Circulator
- 2.1.23 Surface Mounting Optical Isolator
- 2.1.24 Magnet Free Optical Isolator
- 2.1.25 Circular Cylinder Optical Isolator
- 2.1.26 Pigtail Optical Isolator
- 2.1.27 Free-Space Isolator (Device-Type)
- 3.1.1 FTTP PON Architecture 2-77
- 3.1.2 Basic Data Center Topology
- 3.1.3 Multi-Tier Data Center Architecture
- 3.1.4 HFC Distribution System
- 3.1.5 Fiber Map (United States of America)
- 3.1.6 Fiber Service Pricing Comparison
- 3.1.7 Africa: Subocean Fiber Cable
- 3.1.8 Data Centers in Japan
- 3.1.9 Data Centers in Asia
- 3.1.10 Distributed Continuous Fiber Optic Sensor System Components
- 4.1.1 100G CFP2 Transceiver (40km-IEEE 100GBASE-ER4 / ITU-T G.959.1 OTU4)
- 126.96.36.199 CWDM SFP 1G 80km Transceiver
- 188.8.131.52 VITA 66 Fiber Optic Backplane Connector Module
- 184.108.40.206 VPX Board Utilizes VITA 66.4 Optical Backplane
- 220.127.116.11 Typical Intra-Office Interconnections
- 18.104.22.168 1-Port OC-768c/STM-256c Tunable WDMPOS Interface Module
- 22.214.171.124 40 to 60Gbps Silicon-Based Optical Modulator
- 126.96.36.199 Integrated silicon optical transceiver for large-volume data transmission
- 5.1.1 ElectroniCast Market Research & Forecasting Methodology
List of Tables
- 1.1.1 Fiber Optic Circulator Global Forecast, By Region ($, Million)
- 1.1.2 Fiber Optic Circulator Global Forecast, By Application ($, Million)
- 1.1.3 Fiber Optic Circulator Global Forecast, By Port-Count ($, Million)
- 2.2.1 2015 - Fiber Optic Circulator Worldwide Competitor Market Share (%)
- 3.1.1 OM3- and OM4-Specified Distances for Ethernet
- 3.1.2 Physical Layer Specifications
- 3.1.3 United States Broadband Plan - Goals
- 3.1.4 Licensed Local Fixed Carriers in Hong Kong
- 3.1.5 Key specifications of the PC-1 Trans-Pacific System
- 3.1.6 Features: Distributed Continuous Fiber Optic Sensor System Components
- 3.2.1 Fiber Optic Circulator Global Forecast, By Application ($, Million)
- 3.2.2 Fiber Optic Circulator Global Forecast, By Application (Quantity/Units)
- 3.2.3 ElectroniCast Market Forecast Fiber Optic Circulator Component Categories
- 3.2.4 ElectroniCast Market Forecast Fiber Optic Circulator Application Categories
- 3.2.5 Global Total Consumption Forecast: Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.2.6 Global Total Consumption Forecast: 3-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.1.7 Global Total Consumption Forecast: 4-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.2.8 Global Total Consumption Forecast: >4-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.3.1 Fiber Optic Circulator America Forecast, By Application ($, Million)
- 3.3.2 Fiber Optic Circulator America Forecast, By Application (Quantity/Units)
- 3.3.3 America Total Consumption Forecast: Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.3.4 America Total Consumption Forecast: 3-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.3.5 America Total Consumption Forecast: 4-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.3.6 America Total Consumption Forecast: >4-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.4.1 Fiber Optic Circulator EMEA Forecast, By Application ($, Million)
- 3.4.2 Fiber Optic Circulator EMEA Forecast, By Application (Quantity/Units)
- 3.4.3 EMEA Total Consumption Forecast: Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.4.4 EMEA Total Consumption Forecast: 3-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.4.5 EMEA Total Consumption Forecast: 4-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.4.6 EMEA Total Consumption Forecast: >4-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.5.1 Fiber Optic Circulator APAC Forecast, By Application ($, Million)
- 3.5.2 Fiber Optic Circulator APAC Forecast, By Application (Quantity/Units)
- 3.5.3 APAC Total Consumption Forecast: Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.5.4 APAC Total Consumption Forecast: 3-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.5.5 APAC Total Consumption Forecast: 4-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, ASPs)
- 3.5.6 APAC Total Consumption Forecast: >4-Port Fiber Optic Circulators (Value, Quantity, (ASPs)
- 3.5.7 Countries Classified in the APAC Region
- 7.1 Fiber Optic Circulator Data Base Categories, by Component Type
- 7.2 Fiber Optic Circulator Data Base Categories, by Application