Product Code: 1808329
Automotive lightweighting refers to reducing an automobile's curb weight as much as possible to achieve comprehensive performance improvement without impairing automobile strength and safety. Automotive lightweighting can be realized by the use of lightweight materials, structure optimization and lightweight molding, of which the use of lightweight materials is the most feasible. Automotive lightweight materials mainly include high strength steels, carbon fiber composites and metal alloys.
In 2017, the market size of global automotive lightweight materials exceeded USD 100 billion. At present, North America is the world's largest automotive lightweight materials market, followed by Europe. And Asia-Pacific regions including China have the highest growth rate.
China's automotive industry developed rapidly in the past decade. China had been the world's largest auto manufacturer and seller for nine consecutive years from 2009 to 2017. From 2007 to 2017, China's automobile sales increased from 8.79 million units to 28.88 million units. At the end of 2017, the automobile reserves in China reached 217 million units, second only to the U.S. With the rapid development of the automotive industry, automotive lightweighting has become a new trend.
To reduce environment pressure and the reliance on crude oil imports, the Chinese government set the standard for the average fuel consumption of passenger vehicles to promote automotive lightweighting among automobile manufacturers at the policy level. In recent years, the output of China's automotive aluminum alloy castings increases by about 10% every year. As regards to automotive steel sheets, domestic products have almost replaced imports with a market share exceeding 70%. However, China's carbon fiber industry, troubled by backward technologies and low capacity utilization rate, requires a large amount of imports. Automotive lightweight materials are mostly capital and technology intensive industries with high barriers to entry. The raw materials are mainly bulk commodities such as iron ores, non-ferrous metals and crude oil whose prices are susceptible to international supply and demand. At present, the supply of automotive high strength steels in China is highly concentrated in a few giants that master the technologies. The markets of aluminum and magnesium alloys are adequately competitive with a large number of industry players. In the carbon fiber industry, low-end capacity is excessive and the output of high performance products is expected to surge as technical barriers are being broken.
According to CRI, in 2015, the average aluminum and magnesium consumption per vehicle in China was 120kg and 1.5kg respectively, representing huge growth potential compared with the global average of 150kg and 5kg respectively. In the context of developing new energy vehicles and reducing fuel consumption, lightweight materials can ensure vehicle safety, reduce curb weight and increase endurance mileage, making them the first choice of automobile manufacturers.
CRI expects that the market size of automotive lightweight materials will grow gradually from 2018 to 2022 and exceed CNY 300 billion in 2022 with the upgrading of automobile consumption, the increasing importance of lightweight materials to the acceleration, braking and noise control of automobiles, and the higher penetration of lightweight materials in high-end automobiles.
- Concept and methods of automotive lightweighting
- Development environment of the automotive lightweight materials industry
- Competition in China's automotive lightweight materials industry
- Major automotive lightweight materials manufacturers in China
- Analysis on production costs and prices of automotive lightweight materials in China
- Driving forces and market opportunities for China's automotive lightweight materials industry
- Forecast on supply of and demand for automotive lightweight materials in China from 2018 to 2022
Table of Contents
1 Concept and Methods of Automotive Lightweighting
- 1.1 Concept of Automotive Lightweighting
- 1.2 Methods of Automotive Lightweighting
- 1.3 Development of Global Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry
- 1.4 Methodology
- 1.4.1 Parameters and Assumptions
- 1.4.2 Data Sources
- 1.4.3 About CRI
2 Analysis on China's Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry
- 2.1 Development of China's Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry
- 2.1.1 Economic Environment
- 2.1.2 Policy Environment
- 2.1.3 Technological Environment
- 2.2 Analysis on Supply of Automotive Lightweight Materials in China
- 2.2.1 Overview of Supply
- 2.2.2 Output of Major Automotive Lightweight Materials
- 2.3 Analysis on Demand for Automotive Lightweight Materials in China
- 2.3.1 Overall Demand
- 2.3.2 Demand by Material Type
- 2.4 Analysis on Import and Export of Automotive Lightweight Materials in China
- 2.4.1 Export
- 2.4.2 Import
3 Analysis on Competition in China's Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry
- 3.1 Barriers to Entry in China's Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry
- 3.1.1 Technical Barriers
- 3.1.2 Capital Barriers
- 3.1.3 Scale Barriers
- 3.2 Competition Structure of China's Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry
- 3.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 3.2.3 Internal Competition of Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry
- 3.2.4 Potential Entrants to Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry
- 3.2.5 Substitutes for Automotive Lightweight Materials
4 Analysis on Major Automotive Lightweight Materials Manufacturers in China, 2017-2018
- 4.1 Major Manufacturers of High Strength Steels
- 4.1.1 Baoshan Iron & Steel Co., Ltd.
- 4.1.2 Angang Steel Co., Ltd.
- 4.1.3 Maanshan Iron & Steel Co., Ltd.
- 4.2 Major Manufacturers of Cast Aluminum and Magnesium Alloys
- 4.2.1 Guangdong Hongteo Technology Co., Ltd.
- 4.2.2 Guangdong Hongtu Technology (Holdings) Co., Ltd.
- 4.2.3 Ningbo Xusheng Auto Technology Co., Ltd.
- 4.2.4 Chongqing Yujiang Die Casting Co., Ltd.
- 4.2.5 CITIC Dicastal Co., Ltd.
- 4.3 Major Manufacturers of Wrought Aluminum and Magnesium Alloys
- 4.3.1 China Zhongwang Holdings Limited
- 4.3.2 Jiangsu Asia-Pacific Light Alloy Technology Co., Ltd.
- 4.3.3 Novelis Inc
- 4.3.4 Yunnan Aluminum Co., Ltd.
- 4.3.5 Aleris Corporation
- 4.4 Major Manufacturers of Carbon Fiber Composites
- 4.4.1 Jilin Tangu Carbon Fiber Co., Ltd.
- 4.4.2 Jiangsu Hengshen Co., Ltd.
- 4.4.3 Weihai Guangwei Composites Co., Ltd.
- 4.4.4 Toray Industries, Inc.
- 4.4.5 Hexcel Corporation
5 Major Automotive Lightweight Materials Exhibitions in China, 2017-2018
- 5.1 Lightweight Asia
- 5.2 ALUMINIUM CHINA
- 5.3 AMTS
- 5.4 CIAIE
- 5.5 BIAME
6 Analysis on Production Costs and Prices of Automotive Lightweight Materials in China, 2014-2018
- 6.1 Analysis on Production Costs of Automotive Lightweight Materials
- 6.2 Analysis on Prices of Automotive Lightweight Materials
7 Prospect of China's Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry, 2018-2022
- 7.1 Factors Influencing Development of China's Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry
- 7.1.1 Major Driving Factors and Market Opportunities
- 7.1.2 Threats and Challenges
- 7.2 Forecast on Supply of Automotive Lightweight Materials in China
- 7.3 Forecast on Demand for Automotive Lightweight Materials in China
- Chart Methods of Automotive Lightweight
- Chart Production Volume of Automobiles in China, 2007-2017
- Chart Chinese Government's Policies on Automotive Lightweight Materials Industry
- Chart Output of Automotive Aluminum Alloy Die Castings in China, 2013-2017
- Chart Output of Carbon Fibers in China, 2013-2017
- Chart Demand for Automotive Aluminum Die Castings in China, 2014-2017
- Chart Demand for Carbon Fibers in China, 2014-2017
- Chart Profile of Baoshan Iron & Steel Co., Ltd.
- Chart Baoshan Iron & Steel Co., Ltd.'s Revenue from Steel Manufacturing, 2013-2017
- Chart Guangdong Hongtu Technology Co., Ltd.'s Revenue from Casting Manufacturing, 2013-2017
- Chart Profile of China Zhongwang Holdings Limited
- Chart China Zhongwang Holdings Limited's Revenue from Aluminum Extrusion, 2013-2017
- Chart Profile of Jilin Tangu Carbon Fiber Co., Ltd.
- Chart Jilin Tangu Carbon Fiber Co., Ltd.'s Revenue from Carbon Fiber Products, 2013-2017
- Chart Toray Industries, Inc.'s Sales Revenue from Carbon Fiber Composites, 2013-2017
- Chart Price Trend of Aluminum in China, 2014-2018
- Chart Forecast on Output of Major Automotive Lightweight Materials in China, 2018-2022
- Chart Forecast on Market Size of Automotive Lightweight Materials in China, 2018-2022