Product Code: FD0055IS
Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the UK Prepared Meals Market provides an overview of the market, analyzing market data, demographic consumption patterns within the category, and the key consumer trends driving consumption. The report highlights innovative new product development that effectively targets the most pertinent consumer need states, and offers strategic recommendations to capitalize on evolving consumer landscapes.
- Consumers aged 55 and over are the main consumer group for Prepared Meals in the UK
- Per capita consumption of Prepared Meals in the UK is the highest among the countries analyzed
- Consumption of Prepared Meals in the UK is primarily driven by the desire for convenient products at affordable prices
- Consumers' desire for novel flavors will be reflected in their choice of Prepared Meals
Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the UK Prepared Meals Market identifies the key demographic groups driving consumption, and what motivates their consumption. The report uses a unique method of quantifying consumer trends to highlight the degree of influence they have on consumption within the category. The report also identifies the most important trends within the market and shows whether beliefs over what influences consumer behavior within the category are accurate.
Get access to:
- Key consumer demographic groups driving consumption within the UK market. The figures showcase the number of times consumers of specific ages and gender consume Prepared Meals, as well as identifying whether these demographic groups "over" consume in the category (i.e. they account for a higher proportion of occasions than the proportion of society they represent overall).
- Market value and volumes over 2008-2018 for the UK and nine other countries to give a global context.
- The degree of influence that the 20 key consumer trends identified by Canadean have on Prepared Meals consumption volumes, with granular analysis on the extent that degree of influences varies between gender and age group.
- Insight into the implications behind the data, and analysis of how the needs of will evolve in the short-to-medium term future.
- Examples of international and the UK-specific product innovation targeting key consumer needs.
Reasons To Buy
This report brings together consumer analysis and market data to provide actionable insight into the behavior of the UK Prepared Meals consumers. This is based on Canadean's unique consumer data, developed from extensive consumption surveys and consumer group tracking, which quantifies the influence of 20 consumption motivations in the Prepared Meals sector. This allows product and marketing strategies to be better aligned with the leading trends in the market.
Table of Contents
- Category classification and demographic definitions
- Summary methodology
- Canadean has identified nine mega-trends that drive food choice: these can be broken down into 20 sub-trends
- Busy lives, search for convenience and declining culinary skills are driving Prepared Meals market in the UK
- The UK Prepared Meals market has a value of GBP5.3 billion and is forecast to witness good sales growth rates over the next five years
- The chilled Prepared Meals accounts for more than three quarters of all volume sold in the UK Prepared Meals market
- There were 3.6 billion Prepared Meals occasions in the UK in 2012, with the highest occasions witnessed amongst Early Young Adults and males
- Across the globe, the UK ready market meal is second only to the US in terms of volume and value sales
- The UK has the highest per capita volume consumption among major countries in the world
Demographic cohort consumption patterns
- UK men are the main consumers of Prepared Meals in the UK, indicating that scratch cooking is still a trait more commonly associated with females
- Older Consumers are marginally under-consuming in the UK ready-meal category because of health concerns associated with processed food
- Men are more likely to be classified as "heavy frequency" consumers
- Early young adults are most likely to be classified as "heavy" users of Prepared Meals in the UK
Consumer trend analysis
- Busy lives and a desire for better value for money are the key motivations for consuming Prepared Meals in the UK
- Comparing consumer trends influence on Prepared Meals consumption across major markets
- The Changing Lifestyle mega-trend: The delaying of responsibility and more ambitious life goals is driving the need for easy-to-prepare meals
- The Connectivity mega-trend: Media has marginal influence on Prepared Meals consumption in the UK
- The Convenience mega-trend: The busy lives of consumers is the leading motivation for the consumption of Prepared Meals
- The Ethics mega-trend: Ethical and Environmental issues have limited influence on consumption of Prepared Meals in the UK
- The Experience and Enjoyment mega-trend: The desire for indulgence and new experiences will influence choice in Prepared Meals market
- The Health and Wellness mega-trend: Nutritional information has very little influence when it comes to consumption of Prepared Meals
- The Individuality mega-trend: Consumers desire to seek Personal Space and Time will influence consumption of Prepared Meals in the UK
- The Trust mega-trend: Product safety is not a primary motivator of choice in the Prepared Meals category
- The Value mega-trend: Better Value For Money is among the leading trend influencing Prepared Meals consumption in the UK
- Manufacturers are innovating across categories to target the growing needs of the UK consumers
- Global innovations on formulation and packaging can be a source of inspiration for the UK manufacturers
- Manufacturers need to convince consumers that Ready Meals offer more than convenience benefits by leveraging either sensory and health attributes
- Prepared Meals producers need to target different occasions throughout busy consumers' days
- Older Consumers are on of the key consumer groups in the UK
- An explanation of the sub-trends
- Detailed methodology
- About Canadean