Product Code: FD0005IS
This report provides an overview of the Chinese Dairy Food market, analyzing market data, demographic consumption patterns within the category, and the key consumer trends driving consumption. The report highlights innovative new product development for effectively targeting the most pertinent consumer need states and offers strategic recommendations to capitalize on the evolving consumer landscape.
- China's Dairy market is one of the biggest markets worldwide by value and volume.
- Consumers aged 55 and over are the key consumers of Dairy products in China.
- Chinese consumers select Dairy products based on their ability to meet life stage related and age-specific needs. This doesn't just apply to children, with older adults increasingly aware of their specific nutritional needs.
- Low osteoporosis awareness provides manufacturers with an opportunity to educate consumers about the disease and explain Dairy's role in averting it.
This report allows readers to identify the key demographic groups driving consumption in the Chinese Dairy market, and what motivates their consumption. The report uses a unique method of quantifying consumer trends to highlight the degree of influence they have on consumption within the category. This enables the reader to identify the most important trends within the market and also determine whether beliefs over what influences consumer behavior within the category are accurate.
In particular, this report includes:
- Key consumer demographic groups driving consumption within the Chinese market are identified. The figures showcase the number of Dairy occasions attributed to specific age groups and gender, as well as identifying whether these demographic groups "over" consume in the category (i.e. they account for a higher proportion of occasions than the proportion of society they represent overall)
- Market value and volumes over 2008-2018 for China and nine other countries across the globe
- The report quantifies the degree of influence that the 20 key consumer trends identified by Canadean have on Dairy consumption volumes, with granular analysis on the extent that the degree of influences varies between gender and age group
- The report provides insight to highlight the "so what?" implications behind the data, and analysis of how the need states of consumers within the Dairy category will evolve in the short-to-medium term future
- Examples of international and China-specific product innovation targeting key consumer needs.
Reasons to buy
This report brings together consumer analysis and market data to provide actionable insight into the behavior of Chinese Dairy consumers. This is based on Canadean's unique consumer data, developed from extensive consumption surveys and consumer group tracking, which quantifies the influence of 20 consumption motivations in the Dairy sector. This allows product and marketing strategies to be better aligned with the leading trends in the market.
Table of Contents
- Category classification and demographic definitions
- Summary methodology
- Canadean has identified nine mega-trends that drive food choice: these can be broken down into 20 sub-trends
- Health, Convenience, and wide product choices are the key drivers of Dairy consumption
- China's Dairy market is currently valued at CNY255.3 billion and will witness high growth in the next five years
- The Milk category dominates China's Dairy Food market
- There were 281.1 billion Dairy Food occasions in China in 2012, with the highest amount witnessed amongst older consumers and males
- China's Dairy Food market is the global leader in terms of volume and value sales
Demographic cohort consumption patterns
- Chinese women consume more Dairy products than men
- Mid-Lifers are under-consuming Dairy products while Kids & Babies continue to over-consume
- Similar Dairy consumption frequency pattern visible among men and women in China
- Kids & Babies and Older Consumers are ‘heavy frequency' consumers of Dairy products
Consumer trend analysis
- Changing Lifestages is one of the key factors influencing consumption of Dairy Food in China
- Consumer trends influencing Dairy consumption can be compared globally to provide greater context on the degree of influence each trend has
- The Changing Lifestyle mega-trend: Consumers' Dairy product choices are driven by the needs of Changing Lifestyles
- The Connectivity mega-trend: the desire to feel connected and the influence of the media continue to shape consumption habits in China
- The Convenience mega-trend: the Busy Lives of consumers is an important motivation when choosing on-the-go Dairy products
- The Ethics mega-trend: ethical and environmental issues alone cannot motivate consumers when it comes to choosing Dairy products
- The Experience & Enjoyment mega-trend: the desire for quality Dairy food products influences consumption behavior in China
- The Health & Wellness mega-trend : Health plays a significant role in driving Dairy consumption
- The Individuality mega-trend: the desire for taking time out for oneself drives Dairy Food consumption
- The Trust mega-trend: after a range of food scandals, product safety to be a major influence over consumers
- The Value mega-trend: consumers seek better Value through low-cost products as well as those with additional advantages
- Manufacturers of Dairy Food are innovating across categories to target growing needs of the Chinese consumers
- Manufacturers across the globe are focusing on innovative formulation, positioning, and packaging
- Manufacturers need to develop products targeting the growing market
- Manufacturers need to inform consumers about the importance of a healthy lifestyle
- An explanation of the sub-trends
- Detailed methodology
- About Canadean