Product Code: IFT150A
The global market for real time location services/systems should grow from $3.7 billion in 2019 to reach $10.6 billion by 2024 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 23.6% for the period of 2019-2024.
Hardware as a segment of the global market for real time location services/systems should grow from $1.6 billion in 2019 to reach $4.4 billion by 2024 at a CAGR of 22.4% for the period of 2019-2024.
Services as a segment of the global market for real time location services/systems should grow from $1.3 billion in 2019 to reach $3.8 billion by 2024 at a CAGR of 24.6% for the period of 2019-2024.
BCC Research defines real-time location system or services (RTLS) as a system that uses either of a number of technologies (such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, ultrawideband, RFID, and GPS) to detect the current (real-time) geolocation of a target. At times, a real-time location system can use a combination of different technologies to achieve a result with higher accurancy (e.g. GPS combined with Wi-Fi). In real-time location system, the target that is tracked can be anything from a vehicle to an item in a manufacturing plant or logistics to a person (as in healthcare space).
The global market for real-time location services is witnessing strong growth across geographies. RTLS-capable products are used in an ever-increasing number of sectors including supply chain management (SCM), logistics, transportation, healthcare, military, retail, recreation, postal and courier services, as well as education space. The developed regions - North America and Europe (especially Western Europe) are the largest market for RTLS. However, APAC is witnessing the strongest growth and is expected to significantly increase its market share in the coming years.
The scope of this report covers the global market for real-time location service technologies for various end-user application industry. The market is broken down by type, technologies, application, end use industry, and region, which are further discussed in detail. Revenue forecasts from 2019 to 2024 are given for each market segments, and regional market with estimated values derived from manufacturers' total revenues.
The report also includes a discussion of the major players across each regional market. Further, it explains the major drivers and regional dynamics of the market and current trends within the industry.
The report concludes with a special focus on the vendor landscape and includes detailed profiles of the major vendors.
Detailed Inclusions and exclusions:
- For the purpose of this report, real-time location system or services (RTLS) is defined as a system/ solution/ service that uses either of a number of technologies (such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, ultrawideband, RFID, and GPS) to detect the current (real-time) geolocation of a target (where the target can be anything from a vehicle to an item in a manufacturing plant to a person).
- For the purpose of this report, both indoor real time positioning and outdoor real time positiong are considered as RTLS. Hence, both indoor RTLS (which includes RFID, BLE, Wi-Fi, UWB, etc., and outdoor RTLS (mainly global positioning system/GPS, but also includes some usage of RFID, Wi-Fi, etc.). Are within the scope of this report.
- RFID includes active RFID, passive RFID and battery-assisted passive (BAP) RFID. While active RFID and BAP RFID are actual RTLS, passive RFID can be used for very simplistic locating systems (can be read through at choke points) and hence is also considered within the scope of the report.
- The report includes other technologies that be used for RTLS such as infrared, ultrasound, ZigBee in the "Others" segment within the technology categorization in the report. However, these technologies are not discussed in detail as their market share is expected to be very low.
- The report includes hardware, software as well as services revenue of the companies active in the global Real-Time Location Services market.
- In hardware, the report covers various types of hardware such as tags, readers, etc.
- The report excludes the revenue from stand-alone service providers (such as educational services, consulting, maintenance, etc.).
- The report carefully considers companies that are not actual manufacturers and/or service providers and may just rebrand the product and sell it in the market (white labelling), so as to prevent double counting of revenue.
- Revenue forecasts from 2019 to 2024 are given for each segment and regional market, with estimated values are derived from manufacturers' total revenues).
- Location based services (LBS) is similar but different market and hence is out of scope of this report. This report identifies LBS as a different market, wherein, LBS is defined as location-based services that are offered through a mobile phone by taking into account the device's geographical location. LBS also uses real-time geo-data from a mobile device or smartphone (using either cellular tower coverage, GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth) to provide information, entertainment or security. However, the key difference between LBS and RTLS is that LBS uses a user's mobile phone and its real-time geo data, RTLS uses a tag, badge, or sender that transmits real-time data (i.e., a hardware for real time data).
The report begins by introducing the reader to how the market has evolved over time and how various factors are impacting the market. The report then proceeds to identify the following -
- Primary forces with a direct impact on the markets.
- Secondary forces that have an indirect impact.
- Key funding and financing in this space, which are particularly supportive for new entrants.
- Some key challenges that may hinder the growth of this market.
- Key trends visible in the market.
- Important applications of real-time location services, along with key technology segments.
- Demand in the North America, Europe, the Middle East and Africa (MEA) and Asia-Pacific (APAC).
- A descriptive study of technologies and global markets for the real time location system or services (RTLS)
- Analyses of global market trends with data from 2018, estimates for 2019, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2024
- Assessment of widespread application markets of RTLS technologies across major geographical regions - North America, Europe, APAC, South America and MEA
- Information on market dynamics, regulatory landscape, trend analysis and mergers and acquisitions within the global ICT industry
- Patent analysis covering all types of RTLS solutions and their allotments by major assignee types
- Company profiles of market leading players, including AIRTLS, Cerner Corp., Midmark Corp., Sonitor Technologies AS and Zebra Technologies Corp.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
- Study Goals and Objectives
- Reasons for Doing This Study
- Scope of Report
- Information Sources
- Geographic Breakdown
- Analyst's Credentials
- BCC Custom Research
- Related BCC Research Reports
Chapter 2: Summary and Highlights
Chapter 3: Market and Technology Background
- Evolution of the RTLS Market
- RTLS Technologies
- Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)
- Global Positioning System (GPS)
- Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
- Ultra-Wideband (UWB)
- Hybrid RTLS
- Tracking Approaches (Methods for Determining the Location)
- Distance/ Distance-Based (Lateration) Techniques
- Angle/ Angle-Based (Angulation) Techniques
- Various Stakeholders in the Global RTLS Market
- Diversified Technology Majors
- Healthcare Technology Players (such as Halma, which owns CenTrak)
- Semiconductor, Sensor and Related Product Manufacturers
- Location-Based Service (LBS) and Technology Providers
- Growth of the Global RTLS Market
- Major Market Forces
- Growing Need for Security and Safety of Goods and Assets in Transit
- Aging Population and Patients, Especially in Developed Regions That Require Monitoring
- Regulatory Compliance Across Multiple End-User Industries
- Declining Price of Products and Emergence of New Companies in the Location and Asset Tracking Space
- Need to Increase Return on Investment (ROI), while Increasing Efficiency and Decreasing Operational Costs
- Growing Demand for Workplace Security
- Key Selection Criteria
- Power/Battery Consumption
- Coverage/Operating Range
- Hardware Cost (Intial Implementation Cost)
- Cost of Ownership/ Operating Cost
- Accuracy/ Possible Measurement Error
- Key Strategies Used in the Global RTLS Market
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Expansion to Emerging Markets
Chapter 4: RTLS Technologies and Global Markets, by Type
- Ultra-Wideband (UWB) Location Tags
- WiFi Location Tags
- Infrared Location Tags
- Passive Location RFID Tags
- Active RFID Location Tags
- Battery-Assisted RFID Location Tags
- Standalone versus Full Stack/All-in-One Software
Chapter 5: Global Market for RTLS by Type of Technology
- UWB (Ultra-Wideband)
- Bluetooth/ BLE
- Angle-of-Departure (AoD), Angle-of-Arrival (AoA) and Bluetooth 5.1
Chapter 6 Global Market for RTLS Technologies by End-Use Application
- Asset tracking and monitoring
- Access Control/ Security
- Inventory Management
- Environmental Monitoring
- Employee Tracking
- Workplace Safety
Chapter 7: Global Market for RTLS Technologies by End-Use Industry
- Transportation & Logistics
- Manufacturing & Automotive
- Government & Defense
- Oil & Gas, Mining
Chapter 8: Global Market for RTLS Technologies by Region
- North America
- United States
- Other Countries and Regions in Europe
- Asia Pacific (APAC)
- Other Countries in APAC
- Middle East and Africa (MEA)
- South America
- Analysis of Key Geographies
Chapter 9: Industry Structure and Patent Analysis
- Key Trends in the Market
- Hospitals and Healthcare Continue to Be the Key End-User Sector
- Emergence of New Sectors such as Sports and Games
- Continued Growth and Acceptance in Emerging Regions
- Very Strong Expected Growth of Online Retail
- Strong Growth of Education Sector in Emerging Regions
- Increasing Focus on Workplace Safety
- Venture Capital Funding and Investments
- Industry Challenges and Concerns
- Technological Acceptance and Know-How
- Integration Issues
- High Initial Implementation Cost
- Maintenance Issues and Costs
- Patent Activity
Chapter 10: Company Profiles
- AIRFINDER (LINK LABS)
- AIRTLS BV
- ALIEN TECHNOLOGY CORP.
- AVERY DENNISON CORP.
- CASSIA NETWORKS INC.
- CENTRAK INC.
- CERNER CORP.
- DECAWAVE LTD.
- GUARD RFID SOLUTIONS INC.
- IDENTEC GROUP CORP. (IDENTEC GROUP AG)
- IMPINJ INC.
- LEANTEGRA INC.
- LITUM TECHNOLOGIES
- MIDMARK CORP.
- MIST SYSTEMS (JUNIPER NETWORKS INC.)
- MOJIX INC.
- OMNI-ID USA INC.
- QUUPPA OY
- REDPINE SIGNALS INC.
- SAVI TECHNOLOGY INC.
- SEWIO NETWORKS S.R.O.
- SMARTRAC N.V.
- SONITOR TECHNOLOGIES AS
- STANLEY HEALTHCARE
- STATSPORTS GROUP LTD.
- TELETRACKING TECHNOLOGIES INC.
- ZEBRA TECHNOLOGIES CORP.