Product Code: FCB043A
The global market for residential energy storage systems (RESSs) should grow from $3.0 billion in 2018 to $11.2 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 30.0% for the period of 2018-2023.
The lithium-ion storage segment of the global RESS market should grow from $1.5 billion in 2018 to $6.3 billion by 2023 at a CAGR of 33.2% for the period of 2018-2023.
The lead-acid segment of the global RESS market should grow from $1.2 billion in 2018 to $4.1 billion by 2023 at a CAGR of 27.0% for the period of 2018-2023.
The scope of this market study includes the leading residential energy storage systems technologies that are currently in use globally. Residential home battery technologies are used across a number of industries and applications, such as automotive, renewable energy and telecommunications. The technologies discussed in this report are in use across the industries mentioned above and many more as well, as new sectors driven by product and technological innovation emerge.
The market analysis provided in this report is based on a variety of data sources. These include the most recent government, industry, academic and company data regarding the projected level of demand for residential energy storage systems technologies. This report quantifies battery storage technologies used in residential, including battery storage electrochemistries (e.g., lithium-ion and lead-acid) and all-in-one battery pack storage units (battery, inverter charger and battery management software) for residential electricity storage, as well as RES units that can share stored electricity. It does not include other components such as solar panels and charge controllers. Therefore, this report provides a comprehensive review of available data to provide a realistic and accurate assessment of this evolving market.
BCC Research analyzes each major residential energy storage systems technology, determines its current market status, examines its impact on future markets, and presents forecasts of growth over the next five years. Estimated values used are based on manufacturer's total revenues. Projected and forecast revenue values are in constant US dollars, unadjusted for inflation. Technological issues, including the latest trends, are assessed and discussed, as are the current and likely-to-appear regulatory environments in support of this industry.
BCC Research analyzes the industry on a worldwide basis in terms of its manufacturing and use of residential energy storage systems. BCC Research examines government roles in support of residential energy storage systems technologies worldwide, including regulatory support and government requirements, for residential energy storage systems technologies. The report provides a review of the most relevant residential energy storage systems, discusses recent trends and sales, and provides industry overviews and market assessments for leading residential energy storage systems.
- A comprehensive overview of the global market for residential energy storage, blockchain and energy sharing systems
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2017 to 2018, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2023
- Characterization and quantification of market potential for residential energy storage market by product offerings, storage types, applications, end user industries and major geographies
- Assess current market trends and technological updates along with the factors influencing the growth of residential energy storage market
- A relevant patent analysis
- Profiles of top market players within the industry including ACME Cleantech Solutions Pvt. Ltd., BMW Group, DMS Technologies, Exide Technologies GmbH and LG Chem Ltd.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
- Study Goals and Objectives
- Reasons for Doing This Study
- Scope of Report
- Information Sources
- Geographic Breakdown
- What the Industry is Saying
- Analyst's Credentials
- BCC Custom Research
- Related BCC Research Reports
Chapter 2: Summary and Highlights
Chapter 3: Market and Technology Background
- Construction of Batteries
- Types of Electrochemical Compositions
- Residential Battery Storage Technologies and Components
- Battery Pack Design
- Design Overview
- Configuration of Cells in a Battery Pack
- Battery Pack Structural Design
- Cell Protection
- Battery Pack Control (Monitoring and Management)
- Battery Pack Use
- Solar Inverter Integration
- Safety System Design and Component Selection
- Residential Battery Storage Electrochemical Technologies
- Conventional Batteries
- How Rechargeable Batteries Work
- Lead-Acid Batteries
- Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Comparing Lead-Acid vs. Lithium-Ion
- Solar Battery Lifespan
- Other Electrochemistries
- Differences Between Types of Nickel-Based Batteries
- Saltwater Batteries
- Best Batteries for Solar
- Comparison of RESS Battery Technologies
- OEM Strategy
- Battery Value Chain
- Introduction to Blockchain and Peer-to-Peer Energy Systems
- Introduction to Blockchain
- Blockchain and Energy Sharing Enabling Technology
- P2P Energy Trading Platform
- Flexibility-(P2P) Trading Platform
- Limitations of the Blockchain
- Storage Business Models and Revenues
- Domestic Solar + Storage Business Models and Revenues
Chapter 4: Market Breakdown by Battery Electrochemical Technology Type
- Lithium-Ion RESS Market
- Lead-Acid RESS Market
- Other Electrochemical RESS Market
Chapter 5: Market Breakdown by Application
- PV Rooftop + Storage RESS Market
- Bundled Systems
- Retrofit Systems
- Backup Power Residential Energy Storage Systems
- Electric Vehicle Recharging Residential Energy Storage Systems
- Energy Cost Management Residential Energy Storage Systems
Chapter 6: Market Breakdown by Region
- European Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- German Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- Italy's Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- U.K. Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- France's Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- Austria's Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- Rest of Europe Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- Asia-Pacific Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- Japan's Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- Australia's Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- Rest of Asia-Pacific Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- North American Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- U.S. Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- Canada's Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- ROW Residential Energy Storage Systems Market
- Analysis by Country
Chapter 7: Patent Review/ New Developments
- Trends Over Time
- Patent Review by Region
- Patents Owned by International Companies
- Patents Concentrated in Relatively few Categories
- Leading Companies
- Patent Review by Software
- Patent Review by Storage
Chapter 8: Analysis of Market Opportunities
- Competitive Analysis
- Market Drivers
- Challenges in the Residential Storage Market
- Clear Regulatory Framework
- A Level Playing Field by Eliminating Double Charging
- Clarity on Existing Regulations
- Standards to Enable a High-Quality Industry Run Safely
- Marketplaces for Services
- Building Regulations
- Net Metering
- Utilities Standing in the Way
Chapter 9: Company Profiles
- A123 SYSTEMS LLC
- ACME CLEANTECH SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD.
- ADARA POWER
- AMARA RAJA BATTERIES LTD.
- AMPEREX TECHNOLOGY LTD.
- BAE BATTERIEN GMBH
- BLUESKY ENERGY ENTWICKLUNGS UND PRODUKTIONS GMBH
- BMW GROUP
- BYD COMPANY LTD.
- C&D TECHNOLOGIES INC.
- CERES POWER LTD.
- COMMEO GMBH
- CROWN BATTERY MANUFACTURING CO.
- DAEJIN BATTERY CO., LTD.
- DMS TECHNOLOGIES
- EAST PENN MANUFACTURING CO. INC.
- ECOCOACH AG
- ELECTROVAYA INC.
- ENPHASE ENERGY INC.
- E-ON BATTERIES
- E3/DC GMBH
- ELECTRIQ POWER INC.
- EXIDE TECHNOLOGIES GMBH
- FRONIUS INTERNATIONAL GMBH
- GENERAL ELECTRIC CO.
- GERMAN ENERGY SUPPLY GMBH (SENEC)
- GESS LTD.
- GS YUASA INTERNATIONAL
- HBL POWER SYSTEMS LTD.
- HOPPECKE BATTERIEN GMBH & CO. KG
- IBC SOLAR AG
- JOHNSON CONTROLS INC.
- KOKAM CO. LTD.
- KYOCERA CORP.
- LECLANCHE GMBH
- LG CHEM LTD.
- MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES INC.
- MERCEDES-BENZ ENERGY GMBH
- MICROTEX ENERGY PRIVATE LTD.
- NISSAN CO. LTD.
- PANASONIC CORP.
- PRIMUS POWER CORP.
- POWERBALL SYSTEMS AG
- POWERVAULT LTD.
- REDFLOW LTD.
- REDT ENERGY STORAGE PLC
- SAFT GROUPE S.A.
- SAMSUNG SDI CO. LTD.
- SHARP ELECTRONICS CORP.
- SHENZHEN BAK BATTERY CO., LTD.
- SIMPLIPHI POWER INC.
- SMA SOLAR TECHNOLOGY AG
- SONNEN GMBH
- SONY ENERGY DEVICES CORP.
- STORAGE BATTERY SYSTEMS LLC
- SU-KAM POWER SYSTEMS LTD.
- SUNVERGE ENERGY LLC
- TESLA INC.
- TESVOLT GMBH
- TIANJIN LISHEN BATTERY CO. LTD.
- TOSHIBA CORP.
- TROJAN BATTERY CO.
- VALENCE TECHNOLOGY INC.
- VARTA AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT
- VICTRON ENERGY B.V.
- VIZN ENERGY SYSTEMS INC.
- VOLTSTORAGE GMBH
- WANXIANG GROUP CORP.
- ZEN ENERGY
Chapter 10: Appendix: Acronyms