Product Code: IAS076A
This report provides:
- An overview of the global market for laboratory automation technology,
which has applications in a large number of scientific disciplines, including
clinical diagnostics, drug discovery, food and agricultural research, and
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2010, 2011, and 2012, and
projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2017.
- Identification of key manufacturers, technologies, and variety of factors
- A focus on the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, clinical diagnostics, and
academic science industries, as demand for laboratory automation is strongest
in these fields.
- Discussion of suppliers of laboratory automation in terms of market share,
product types, and geography.
GLOBAL LABORATORY AUTOMATION MARKET BY REGION,
Source: BCC Research
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
This BCC Research report titled Laboratory Automation: Technologies and Global
Markets provides a complete analysis of the market for laboratory automation,
its operations, equipment, trends and patent analysis. This analysis includes
information on such topics as the size of various market sectors, labor market
and technology trends impacting the adoption of laboratory automation and the
impact of government policy, as well as a host of other issues that influence
the market for laboratory automation. Information concerning major laboratory
automation product segments includes in-depth market and competitive analyses.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
Laboratory automation is included within a large number of scientific
disciplines. Clinical diagnostics, drug discovery, food and agricultural
research, and forensics have been heavily impacted by the rise of automated
laboratory systems. With the 2008 creation of the Institute of Laboratory
Automation and the 2010 establishment of the Society for Laboratory Automation
and Screening, laboratory automation is quickly defining itself as a specific
part of the laboratory industry in the U.S. There is a vital need to reduce
laboratory operating costs due to budget pressures throughout the laboratory
industry and new applications of laboratory automation technology coming on
board, so a great and broad-based demand for laboratory automation products
will be evident during the next decade.
SCOPE OF REPORT
A particular focus will be placed on the biotechnology, pharmaceutical,
clinical diagnostics and academic science industries, as demand for laboratory
automation is strongest in these fields. Academic science is unique, as it
entails both users of laboratory automation and creators of new uses for
laboratory automation through the dissemination of new techniques and ideas
through research. Staffing shortages throughout the clinical diagnostics
industry have driven the demand for more automation to reduce staffing
demands. New applications developed by both industry and academia, along with
the demand for new drugs and clinical diagnostics, are noted drivers of demand
in the clinical diagnostics, biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
Suppliers of laboratory automation will be discussed in terms of market share,
product types and geography when possible. A focus will be placed on the
integration of various product types into different market segments because
similar technologies may be used in various market sectors, causing usage and
scale to vary. Also, regulatory policy will be discussed, as decisions by the
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other regulatory bodies can drive
demand by approving new uses of technology and by creating market
opportunities for companies looking to innovate and reduce laboratory
operation costs. This regulatory policy can drive the market penetration of
certain products and technologies, therefore driving demand.
Specifically excluded from this analysis is the demand for pharmaceuticals,
diagnostics and other laboratory testing outside of the scope to which it
generates demand for laboratory automation. Products used in the support of
laboratory automation, specifically consumables used during laboratory
automation, are excluded to the extent of market size and profitability of
Primary data sources for this report included interviews with numerous
executives, product managers and laboratory professionals across different
market segments. Secondary data sources included published literature in the
field of laboratory automation, investment reports, company reports and
information from the laboratory industry media.
The market data presented is based on the market at the manufacturers' level.
The base year of this market report is 2012, with historical data from 2010
and 2011, as well as forecasts to 2017. Historical and forecast data are
provided for all market segments referred to in this report. Competitor share
estimates are provided based on data from the base year of 2012.
This study provides information on a wide variety of laboratory automation
technologies, but it will not provide a full list of available laboratory
automation products. In addition, there are a number of products used in
various industries (e.g., electronics, communications, and food) that are also
used for laboratory automation purposes.
Todd Graham is a seasoned laboratory professional who has experience in an
extensive number of segments. Working in the biotechnology industry for more
than six years in numerous laboratory roles and organization types has given
him a unique insight into how the various sectors of the laboratory industry
work. He has also developed and applied numerous different types of laboratory
automation, giving him a direct perspective on the transformational potential
of this technology.
Table of Contents
Laboratory Automation: Technologies and Global Markets
Chapter- 1: INTRODUCTION - Complimentary
- STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
- SCOPE OF REPORT
- INTENDED AUDIENCE
- INFORMATION SOURCES
- ANALYST CREDENTIALS
- RELATED BCC REPORTS
- BCC ON-LINE SERVICES
Chapter- 2: SUMMARY
- MAJOR MARKETS
- INDUSTRIAL CHANGES
Chapter- 3: INTRODUCTION TO THE LABORATORY INDUSTRY
- OVERVIEW OF LABORATORIES AND TYPICAL TESTS
- LABORATORY TECHNOLOGY APPLICATIONS
Chapter- 4: GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS
- U.S. FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
- EUROPEAN MEDICINE AGENCY
- SWISS AGENCY FOR THERAPEUTIC PRODUCTS
- JAPAN: PHARMACEUTICALS AND MEDICAL DEVICE AGENCY
- CHINA: STATE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
- INDIA: CENTRAL DRUGS STANDARD CONTROL ORGANIZATION
- AUSTRALIA: THERAPEUTIC GOOD ADMINISTRATION
- THERAPEUTIC PRODUCTS DIRECTORATE OF HEALTH CANADA
- OTHER FACTORS INFLUENCING DEMAND
Chapter- 5: LIQUID HANDLING
- SECTOR LEADERS
- MARKET LEADERS
Chapter- 6: SAMPLE PREPARATION
- SECTOR OVERVIEW
- CASE STUDY
Chapter- 7: HIGH-THROUGHPUT TECHNOLOGIES
Chapter- 8: TOTAL LABORATORY AUTOMATION
- SECTOR OVERVIEW
- CASE STUDY
Chapter- 9: OTHER FACTORS
- LABORATORY INFORMATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
- TECHNOLOGY ISSUES IMPACTING LABORATORY AUTOMATION
Chapter- 10: TECHNOLOGY
- LABORATORY AUTOMATION RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Chapter- 11: INDUSTRY STRUCTURE AND COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS
Chapter- 12: COMPANY PROFILES
- AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES
- BECKMAN COULTER
- BIOMERIEUX, INC.
- HAMILTON COMPANY
Chapter- 13: COMPANY DIRECTORY
- 4TITUDE LTD
- A&D WEIGHING
- ACCEL BIOTECH INC.
- ADVANTAGE BUSINESS MEDIA
- AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES INC.
- AKONNI BIOSYSTEMS
- AMSBIO LLC
- ANDREW ALLIANCE S.A.
- APRICOT DESIGNS INC.
- ASI/APPLIED SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENTATION INC.
- ASSAYMETRICS LIMITED
- ASTECH PROJECTS LTD.
- AUSBIO R&D EUROPE GMBH
- AXXAM SPA
- BANGS LABORATORIES INC.
- BECKMAN COULTER INC.
- BERTHOLD TECHNOLOGIES GMBH & CO. KG
- BIO CHROMATO INC.
- BIOMEDTECH LABORATORIES INC.
- BIOMERIEUX, INC.
- BIOMICROLAB INC.
- BIOTEK INSTRUMENTS INC.
- BIOSERO LLC
- BLACKFIELD AG
- BLUE SKY BIOSERVICES
- BMG LABTECH
- BRANDTECH SCIENTIFIC INC.
- BROOKS LIFE SCIENCE SYSTEMS
- BROTHER MOBILE SOLUTIONS INC.
- CADENCE INC.
- CAMBRIDGE CONSULTANTS LTD.
- CAYMAN CHEMICAL COMPANY
- CELLULAR DYNAMICS INTERNATIONAL
- CETAC AUTOMATION
- CHEMGLASS LIFE SCIENCES
- CHEMSPEED TECHNOLOGIES AG
- CHIEFTEK PRECISION CO. LTD.
- COMPUTYPE INC.
- CONDUCTIVE TECHNOLOGIES INC.
- CORE INFORMATICS
- CSEM SA JAQUET-DROZ 1
- CYBIO AG
- CYTOSKELETON INC.
- DATA UNLIMITED INTERNATIONAL INC.
- DIBA INDUSTRIES INC.
- DIFFINITY GENOMICS
- DRUG DISCOVERY NEWS
- DRUG DISCOVERY TODAY/ELSEVIER
- DUALSYSTEMS BIOTECH AG
- ELMO MOTION CONTROL INC.
- EMD MILLIPORE CORPORATION
- FALCON ELECTRIC INC.
- FESTO CORPORATION
- FLEXLINK SYSTEMS INC.
- FORTEBIO: A DIVISION OF PALL LIFE SCIENCES
- FREESLATE INC.
- GE HEALTHCARE
- GEMS MEDICAL SCIENCES
- GENEFLUIDICS INC
- GENOMETRY, INC
- GILSON INC.
- HAMAMATSU CORPORATION
- HAMILTON COMPANY
- HARMONIC DRIVE LLC
- HORIZON DISCOVERY LTD
- HTI BIO-X GMBH
- HUDSON ROBOTICS INC.
- IDEX HEALTH & SCIENCE
- IGUS INC.
- INHECO INDUSTRIAL HEATING & COOLING GMBH
- INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES IN BIOLOGICAL SYSTEMS
- INSPHERO AG
- IONFIELD SYSTEMS
- J-KEM SCIENTIFIC
- JULABO USA INC.
- KNF NEUBERGER INC.
- LABCON NORTH AMERICA
- LABCYTE INC.
- LABOMATIC INSTRUMENTS AG
- LAB SERVICES B.V.
- LABVANTAGE SOLUTIONS INC.
- LEAP TECHNOLOGIES
- LEE COMPANY
- LGC GENOMICS
- LITTLE THINGS FACTORY
- LOGOS BIOSYSTEMS INC.
- LUCIGEN CORPORATION
- MAXCYTE INC.
- MECOUR TEMPERATURE CONTROL
- METTLER TOLEDO
- MICROSCAN SYSTEMS INC.
- MICROTEC SUDWEST
- MICROSONIC SYSTEMS INC.
- MILTENYI BIOTEC GMBH
- MINIFAB (AUST) PTY LTD.
- NANO DISCOVERY INC.
- NANOSCREEN LLC
- NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
- NOVA BIOSTORAGE PLUS LLC
- OCELLO B.V.
- OMEGA BIO-TEK INC.
- PEAK ROBOTICS INC.
- PLEXERA LLC
- PRECISE AUTOMATION
- PROMEGA CORPORATION
- PSS PRECISION SYSTEM SCIENCE
- QIAGEN SCIENCES INC.
- REDD & WHYTE LTD.
- RETISOFT INC.
- RITTER GMBH
- SANDSTONE DIAGNOSTICS INC.
- SARSTEDT INC.
- SCALE PEOPLE
- SCIGILIAN SOFTWARE INC.
- SCINOMIX INC.
- SEYONIC SA
- SILA CONSORTIUM
- SILOAM BIOSCIENCES INC.
- SOLID STATE COOLING SYSTEMS
- SPEX SAMPLEPREP LLC
- STACS DNA INC.
- STARLIMS CORPORATION
- TECHNOLOGY NETWORKS LTD.
- THERMO SCIENTIFIC
- THINXXS MICROTECHNOLOGY
- TORREY PINES SCIENTIFIC INC.
- TRIANJA TECHNOLOGIES
- TWD TRADEWINDS INC.
- VALA SCIENCES INC.
- VALCOR ENGINEERING
- VICI VALCO INSTRUMENTS
- WEIDMANN PLASTICS TECHNOLOGY AG
List of Tables
- Summary Table A : GLOBAL LABORATORY AUTOMATION MARKET BY SEGMENT, THROUGH
- Summary Table B : GLOBAL LABORATORY AUTOMATION MARKET BY REGION, THROUGH
- Table 1 : LIQUID HANDLING IN LABORATORY AUTOMATION MARKET BY REGION,
- Table 2 : GLOBAL LIQUID HANDLING LABORATORY AUTOMATION MARKET
- Table 3 : GLOBAL SAMPLE PREPARATION IN LABORATORY AUTOMATION MARKET BY
REGION, THROUGH 2017
- Table 4 : GLOBAL SAMPLE PREPARATION MARKET, THROUGH 2017
- Table 5 : HIGH-THROUGHPUT SCREENING IN LABORATORY AUTOMATION MARKET BY
REGION, THROUGH 2017
- Table 6 : GLOBAL HIGH-THROUGHPUT SCREENING MARKET, THROUGH 2017
- Table 7 : TOTAL LABORATORY AUTOMATION MARKET BY REGION, THROUGH 2017
- Table 8 : GLOBAL TOTAL LABORATORY AUTOMATION MARKET, THROUGH 2017
- Table 9 : GLOBAL LABORATORY INFORMATION MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS IN LABORATORY
AUTOMATION MARKET BY REGION, THROUGH 2017
- Table 10 : PATENTS ISSUED FOR LABORATORY AUTOMATION, 2008-2012
- Table 11 : PATENTS BY YEAR, 2008-2012
- Table 12 : PATENTS BY REGION, 2008-2012
- Table 13 : PATENTS BY ORGANIZATION TYPE, 2008-2012
- Table 14 : MAJOR PATENT-HOLDING ORGANIZATIONS
- Table 15 : PATENTS BY MAJOR ORGANIZATIONS, 2008-2012
- Table 16 : PATENT APPLICATIONS FOR LABORATORY AUTOMATION, 2008-2012
- Table 17 : PATENT APPLICATIONS BY YEAR, 2008-2012
- Table 18 : PATENT APPLICATIONS BY REGION, 2008-2012
- Table 19 : PATENT APPLICATIONS BY ORGANIZATION TYPE, 2008-2012
- Table 20 : PATENT APPLICATIONS BY ORGANIZATION, 2008-2012
- Table 21 : PATENT APPLICATIONS BY COMPANY, 2008-2012
List of Figures
- Summary Figure : GLOBAL LABORATORY AUTOMATION MARKET BY REGION, 2010-2017