Product Code: SAS019A
- The global market for mobile location technologies reached $22.5 billion
in 2010 and is expected to reach $25.1 billion in 2011. It will further grow
to $36.3 billion in 2016 increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of
7.6% between 2011 and 2016.
- The emerging markets collectively spent almost $2.2 billion on mobile
location devices in 2010. The market in these countries reached nearly $3
billion in 2011 and should exceed $4 billion in 2016, a CAGR of 6.3% between
2011 and 2016.
- The vehicle navigation segment in emerging markets reached $659 million in
2010 and is expected to reach $1.2 billion in 2011. It will further grow to
$1.3 billion in 2016, a CAGR of 0.9% between 2011 and 2016.
GLOBAL MARKET SHARE PROJECTIONS FOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES
BY APPLICATION, 2010-2016 (%)
Source: BCC Research
Beginning with the successful completion of the global positioning system
(GPS) in the mid-1990s, other new technologies for determining the
geographical coordinates of moving or fixed objects have been deployed or
developed. This report refers to them collectively as mobile location
Mobile location technologies are able to locate points, objects or persons on
or above the earth's surface by calculating the distances from one or more
(usually at least three) reference points. These can be satellites orbiting
in space, ground radio stations, cell phone towers, wireless LAN access
points, or RFID receivers.
Each type of technology has its advantages and limitations, depending on the
specific application. While they are, to some extent, competitive with one
another, each technology has applications for which it is especially well
suited. Additional mobile location technologies are being developed, many of
them involving a combination of two or more existing positioning technologies.
This report is an update of a BCC study published in 2007. In a market that
is evolving almost day-to-day, this report identifies the latest applications
and trends in the market for GPS and other mobile location technologies. It
focuses on the impacts these new technologies will have on the global mobile
Another feature of this report worth noting is its expanded coverage of
markets outside the traditional markets of North America, Western Europe, and
Japan. Much of the projected growth in the mobile location technologies
market over the next 5 years is expected to take place in China, India, and
other “nontraditional” markets, making more detailed analysis of
these markets imperative.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
This report will satisfy the need for an objective, quantitative analysis that
addresses existing and emerging mobile location solutions in the context of
technological change and an evolving market.
Objectives that are more specific are as follows:
- Identify the key new mobile location technologies and applications,
including those expected to be commercialized in the 2011 to 2016 time frame
- Identify and evaluate the impact of economic, business, demographic,
technological, legal/regulatory and other factors that will drive the future
market for each of these new technologies
- Forecast sales of each technology, (including new products and/or
applications) to each major geographical market through 2016
- Analyze the structure and competitive conditions in the global mobile
location technology market.
SCOPE AND FORMAT
This report is an analytical business tool whose primary purpose is to
describe and analyze the size and dynamics of the global market for mobile
location technologies. It mainly deals with technologies introduced since the
commercialization of GPS about 10 years ago.
Older position-finding technologies such as LORAN are not analyzed in detail.
The report focuses on end-user-oriented applications of these new
technologies, and does not address the market for basic infrastructure such as
space satellites, ground stations, beacons, and cellular towers.
Major sections of the report cover the following:
- Summary of findings and conclusions
- Overview of the mobile location industry: systems, technologies and users
- New and emerging mobile location technologies and solutions
- Market size and segmentation, 2010
- Market drivers and constraints
- Detailed market projections by application segment and major geographical
market, 2011 to 2016
- Industry structure and market shares
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
This is an update of a report published in 2007. Both primary and secondary
research methodologies were used in preparing this study. The findings and
conclusions of this update and the original report are based on information
gathered from industry sources, including mobile location equipment vendors,
service providers, and end users. Interview data were combined with
information gathered through an extensive review of secondary sources such as
trade publications, trade associations, company literature, and online
databases to produce the projections contained in this report.
The base year for analysis and projection is 2010. With 2010 as a baseline,
market projections were developed for 2011 to 2016. These projections are
based on a combination of a consensus among the primary contacts combined with
our understanding of the key market drivers and their impact from a historical
and analytical perspective.
The methodologies and assumptions used to develop the market projections in
this report are discussed at length under the various types of mobile location
technology and geographical markets addressed. The report carefully documents
data sources and assumptions. This way, readers can see how the market
estimates were developed and, if they so desire, test the impact on the final
numbers of changing assumptions.
Andrew McWilliams, the author of this report, is a partner in the
Boston-based international technology and marketing consulting firm, 43rd
Table of Contents
Global Markets for Mobile Positioning Technology: Commercial, Military, Homeland Defense -- Focus on Emerging Markets
Chapter - 1: INTRODUCTION - Complimentary
- STUDY BACKGROUND
- STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- INTENDED AUDIENCE
- SCOPE AND FORMAT
- METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
- ANALYST CREDENTIALS
- RELATED BCC RESEARCH REPORTS
- BCC ONLINE SERVICES
Chapter - 2: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- Table Summary: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTIONS FOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES
BY APPLICATION, THROUGH 2016
- Figure Summary: GLOBAL MARKET SHARE PROJECTIONS FOR MOBILE LOCATION
TECHNOLOGIES BY APPLICATION, 2010-2016
Chapter - 3: OVERVIEW
- GENERAL INTRODUCTION TO MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES
- MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES
- APPLICATION SEGMENTS
- PATENT ANALYSIS
Chapter - 4: GLOBAL MARKETS FOR MOBILE LOCATION APPLICATIONS
Chapter - 5: EMERGING MARKETS
- AVIATION SEGMENT
- MOTOR VEHICLES
- PEOPLE AND ANIMAL TRACKING
- MACHINE CONTROL
- SURVEYING AND MAPPING
- ASSET MANAGEMENT
- Table 38: EMERGING MARKETS FOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY BY
APPLICATION, THROUGH 2016
Chapter - 6: COMPANY PROFILES
- AISIN SEIKI CO., LTD.
- ALLEN OSBORNE ASSOCIATES, INC.
- AXONN, LLC
- BENEFON OYJ
- CELL-LOC LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- CMT, INC.
- COBRA ELECTRONICS CORP.
- COMPASSCOM SOFTWARE CORP.
- DELORME PUBLISHING CO.
- DENSO CORP.
- DIGITAL ANGEL CORP.
- EKAHAU, INC.
- FEI-ZYFER, INC.
- FREEFLIGHT SYSTEMS, INC.
- GARMIN, LTD.
- GPS TRACKS
- GUARDIAN MOBILITY CORP.
- HEMISPHERE GPS
- HONEYWELL AEROSPACE
- ITRAK CORP.
- L-3 INTERSTATE ELECTRONICS CORP.
- LEICA GEOSYSTEMS AG
- LOCKHEED MARTIN CORP.
- MAGELLAN NAVIGATION, INC.
- NAVCOM TECHNOLOGY, INC.
- NAVICO, INC.
- NAVMAN, LTD.
- NOVATEL, INC.
- PANASONIC CORP. OF NORTH AMERICA
- PRO TECH
- RAYMARINE, PLC
- RAYTHEON CO.
- ROCKWELL COLLINS, INC.
- SIRF TECHNOLOGY, INC./CSR
- SOKKIA CO., LTD.
- SPERRY MARINE
- SUUNTO OY
- TELEMETRY SOLUTIONS
- TIMEX CORP.
- TOMTOM NV
- TOPCON POSITIONING SYSTEMS, INC.
- TRIMBLE NAVIGATION, LTD.
- TRIPOD DATA SYSTEMS
- TRUE POSITION
- VECTRONIC AEROSPACE GMBH
- WHERE, INC.
- ZEBRA TECHNOLOGIES CORP.
- XANAVI INFORMATICS CO., LTD.
- XATA CORP.
List of Tables
- Summary Table: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTIONS FOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES
BY APPLICATION, THROUGH 2016
- Table 1: MAJOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY TYPES
- Table 2: SATELLITE-BASED POSITIONING SYSTEM COMPARISON
- Table 3: HYBRID/AUGMENTED SATELLITE LOCATION-FINDING TECHNOLOGIES
- Table 4: NETWORK-BASED MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES
- Table 5: MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY APPLICATIONS
- Table 6: FAA TRANSITION STRATEGY NAVIGATION PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Table 7: AVIATION-RELATED MOBILE LOCATION SOLUTIONS
- Table 8: AVIATION-RELATED POSITIONING SOLUTION PROVIDERS
- Table 9: VEHICLE NAVIGATION SOLUTION PROVIDERS
- Table 10: MACHINE-CONTROLLED SOLUTION PROVIDERS
- Table 11: MARINE GPS SOLUTION PROVIDERS
- Table 12: MILITARY SOLUTION PROVIDERS
- Table 13: PEOPLE AND ANIMAL TRACKING SOLUTION PROVIDERS
- Table 14: RECREATIONAL GPS SOLUTION PROVIDERS
- Table 15: MAPPING AND SURVEYING SOLUTION PROVIDERS
- Table 16: ASSET MANAGEMENT SOLUTION PROVIDERS
- Table 17: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTIONS FOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY BY
APPLICATION, THROUGH 2016
- Table 18: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTIONS FOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY BY
GEOGRAPHICAL MARKET, THROUGH 2016
- Table 19: GLOBAL SHIPMENTS OF GENERAL AVIATION AIRCRAFT, 1996-2006
- Table 20: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTIONS FOR GENERAL AVIATION FLEET GPS
RETROFITS, THROUGH 2016
- Table 21: PROJECTED GLOBAL SHIPMENTS OF COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT, 2011-2016
- Table 22: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTIONS OF OEM AND RETROFIT GPS DEVICES FOR
COMMERCIAL AND GENERAL CIVIL AVIATION, THROUGH 2016
- Table 23: GLOBAL SALES OF NEW PASSENGER CARS, THROUGH 2016
- Table 24: GLOBAL PENETRATION OF IN-DASH GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEMS, THROUGH
- Table 25: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTIONS FOR STAND-ALONE VEHICLE NAVIGATION
SYSTEMS, THROUGH 2016
- Table 26: SUMMARY OF GLOBAL MARKET FOR GPS VEHICLE NAVIGATION SYSTEMS,
- Table 27: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTION OF AVERAGE COST OF MOBILE PHONE GPS
CHIPSETS, THROUGH 2016
- Table 28: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTIONS FOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY-ENABLED
PEOPLE AND ANIMAL TRACKING DEVICE BY REGION, THROUGH 2016
- Table 29: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTIONS FOR GPS MACHINE CONTROL SYSTEMS,
- Table 30: WORLDWIDE COMMERCIAL SHIPBUILDING, THROUGH 2009
- Table 31: U.S. POWERED RECREATIONAL BOATS: NUMBER OF BOATS COMPLETED,
- Table 32: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTION FOR MARINE GPS MARINE NAVIGATION
SYSTEMS, THROUGH 2016
- Table 33: GLOBAL MILITARY EXPENDITURES ON MOBILE LOCATION DEVICES, THROUGH
- Table 34: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTION FOR MILITARY GPS RECEIVERS, THROUGH 2016
- Table 35: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTION FOR RECREATIONAL GPS RECEIVERS, THROUGH
- Table 36: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTION FOR SURVEYING AND MAPPING GPS
RECEIVERS, THROUGH 2016
- Table 37: GLOBAL MARKET PROJECTIONS FOR GPS ASSET TRACKING DEVICES BY
SEGMENT, THROUGH 2016
- Table 38: EMERGING MARKETS FOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY BY APPLICATION,
- Table 39: OTHER MARKETS FOR CIVIL AVIATION GPS DEVICES, THROUGH 2016
- Table 40: EMERGING MARKETS FOR MOTOR VEHICLE NAVIGATION DEVICES, THROUGH
- Table 41: OTHER COUNTRIES MARKET FOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY-ENABLED
PEOPLE AND ANIMAL TRACKING DEVICES, THROUGH 2016
- Table 42: OTHER COUNTRIES' EXPENDITURES ON GPS MACHINE CONTROLS, THROUGH
- Table 43: OTHER COUNTRY MARKETS FOR MARINE GPS DEVICES, THROUGH 2016
- Table 44: OTHER COUNTRIES' EXPENDITURES ON MILITARY APPLICATIONS OF MOBILE
LOCATION TECHNOLOGY, THROUGH 2016
- Table 45: OTHER COUNTRIES' EXPENDITURES ON RECREATIONAL GPS RECEIVERS,
- Table 46: OTHER COUNTRIES' EXPENDITURES ON GPS SURVEYING AND MAPPING
EQUIPMENT, THROUGH 2016
- Table 47: OTHER COUNTRIES' EXPENDITURES ON GPS ASSET MANAGEMENT
APPLICATIONS, THROUGH 2016
List of Figures
- Summary Figure: GLOBAL MARKET SHARE PROJECTIONS FOR MOBILE LOCATION
TECHNOLOGIES BY APPLICATION, 2010-2016
- Figure 1: COMPANY SHARES OF GLOBAL AVIATION GPS MARKET, 2010
- Figure 2: COMPANY SHARES OF GLOBAL VEHICLE NAVIGATION SYSTEMS MARKET, 2010
- Figure 3: COMPANY SHARES OF MACHINE-CONTROLLED GPS MARKET, 2010
- Figure 4: COMPANY MARKET SHARES OF GLOBAL MARINE GPS NAVIGATION MARKET,
- Figure 5: COMPANY MARKET SHARES OF GLOBAL NON-MOBILE PHONE-BASED PERSONNEL
AND ANIMAL TRACKING DEVICE MARKET, 2010
- Figure 6: COMPANY MARKET SHARES OF GLOBAL RECREATIONAL GPS DEVICE MARKET,
- Figure 7: COMPANY SHARES OF GLOBAL MAPPING AND SURVEYING GPS DEVICE
- Figure 8: COMPANY SHARES OF THE GLOBAL GPS-BASED ASSET MANAGEMENT MARKET,
- Figure 9: U.S. PATENTS FOR MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES ISSUED SINCE 1976
- Figure 10: U.S. PATENTS ISSUED ANNUALLY FOR MOBILE POSITIONING END-USER
- Figure 11: U.S. PATENTS ISSUED SINCE 1976 FOR MOBILE LOCATION END-USER
TECHNOLOGIES BY TECHNOLOGY TYPE
- Figure 12: U.S. PATENTS ISSUED SINCE 1976 FOR MOBILE LOCATION END-USER
SOLUTIONS BY APPLICATION TYPE
- Figure 13: MAJOR PATENT HOLDERS/ASSIGNEES' SHARES OF TOTAL U.S.
POSITIONING PATENTS ISSUED, SINCE 1976
- Figure 14: PROJECTED GLOBAL MARKET TRENDS IN MOBILE-LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES,
- Figure 15: GLOBAL MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY MARKET SHARES BY APPLICATION,
2010 VS. 2016
- Figure 16: GLOBAL MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES MARKET SHARES BY DISCRETE
COMPONENT AND COMPLETE SOLUTION, 2010
- Figure 17: GLOBAL MARKET SHARES OF MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGIES BY REGION,
2010 VS. 2016
- Figure 18: GLOBAL MARKET SHARES OF GENERAL VS COMMERCIAL CIVIL AVIATION
GPS DEVICES, 2010
- Figure 19: GLOBAL MARKET FOR OEM VS RETROFIT CIVIL AVIATION GPS DEVICES,
- Figure 20: TRENDS IN GLOBAL SHIPMENTS OF GENERAL AVIATION AIRCRAFT,
- Figure 21: PROJECTED GLOBAL SHIPMENTS OF GENERAL AVIATION AIRCRAFT,
- Figure 22: PROJECTED SIZE OF GLOBAL GENERAL AVIATION AIRCRAFT FLEET, 2010
- Figure 23: PROJECTED TRENDS IN GLOBAL GENERAL AVIATION FLEET GPS
- Figure 24: PROJECTED TRENDS IN GLOBAL SHIPMENTS OF COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT,
- Figure 25: GLOBAL MARKET SHARES OF IN-DASHBOARD VS PORTABLE GPS VEHICLE
NAVIGATION SYSTEMS, 2010
- Figure 26: PROJECTED AVERAGE PRICE TRENDS FOR IN-DASHBOARD VS STAND-ALONE
GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEMS, THROUGH 2016
- Figure 27: GLOBAL MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY-ENABLED PEOPLE AND ANIMAL
TRACKING DEVICES MARKET SHARES BY TYPE, 2010
- Figure 28: GLOBAL MOBILE LOCATION TECHNOLOGY-ENABLED NON-MOBILE PHONE
PERSONNEL AND ANIMAL TRACKING MARKET SHARES, 2010
- Figure 29: GLOBAL MARKET SHARES OF GPS MACHINE CONTROL SYSTEMS BY END-USER
- Figure 30: GLOBAL SHIPMENTS OF EARTHMOVING EQUIPMENT, PROJECTED 2010-2016
- Figure 31: COMMERCIAL VS RECREATIONAL GPS MARINE NAVIGATION SYSTEM MARKET
- Figure 32: WORLDWIDE COMMERCIAL SHIPBUILDING TRENDS, 2000-2009
- Figure 33: TRENDS IN U.S. POWERED RECREATIONAL BOAT SALES, 2000-2010
- Figure 34: HISTORICAL TRENDS IN MILITARY EXPENDITURES ON MOBILE LOCATION
- Figure 35: PROJECTED U.S. MILITARY PROCUREMENT BUDGET TRENDS, 2010-2016
- Figure 36: TRENDS IN U.S. OUTDOOR RECREATION PARTICIPATION: TOTAL AND
- Figure 37: GLOBAL MARKET SHARES OF MOBILE ASSET MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS BY
END-USER SEGMENT, 2010
- Figure 38: GARMIN, LTD. GPS SALES BY TYPE OF APPLICATION, 2010
- Figure 39: TRIMBLE NAVIGATION SALES BY APPLICATION, 2010