Product Code: hte23
The 2nd edition of the 'Electrical Product Distribution Market Report - Online Focus - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' addresses the overall electrical products market, with analysis of the size, scope and structure of the supply chain throughout the electrical products industry, and a particular focus on the role and growth of the online sector within the industry, including both the online specialists and the online facilities offered by the larger distribution companies as part of their wider offering.
Key issues covered in the report include:
- Analysis of E-Commerce within the UK electrical products industry.
- Distribution channel mix.
- Overall electrical products market analysis..
- Product sector analysis.
Distribution channels reviewed include:
- Specialist e-tailers.
- Electrical wholesalers.
- Catalogue/ electronic component distributors.
- Home improvement retailers.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Changing distribution shares - within electrical products overall and within online sales.
- Trends within e-commerce.
- Analysis of individual distribution channels.
- Preferences and buying patterns among contractors and installers.
- Analysis of individual product sectors.
- Detailed market data and insight on the electrical products distribution market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Amey UK, Arthur McKay & Co, Balfour Beatty Group, Bancroft, BEW Electrical Distributors, Boulting Group, Briggs & Forrester Group, CBES, City Electrical Factors (CEF), Clarkson Evans, Crown House Technologies, Denmans, Edmundson Electrical (Marlowe Holdings Electricbase, Emcor Group (UK) Plc, Engie Services Limited, ERF Electrical Wholesalers, Essex Services Group, Express Electrical Distributors, Eyre & Elliston, FES, Gibbs & Dandy, Halsall Electrical, HE Simm & Sons, Holland House Electrical Company, Integral UK, Interserve, Kew Electrical, Laing O'Rourke Services, Lorne Stewart, Dodd Group, MacLean Electrical Group, Medlock Electrical Distributors, Michael Lonsdale limited, MJ Quinn Integrated Services, Moss Electrical, Newey & Eyre, NG Bailey Ltd, NIE Network Services, Norland Managed Services, Parmley Graham, Phoenix ME (previously Phoenix Electrical), Power On Connections, Quartzelec, Rexel Group, R&M Electrical Group, Screwfix ( Kingfisher Group), Routeco, Shepherd Engineering Services (Wates Group), Skanska Rashleigh Weatherfoil, SPIE UK, SSE Contracting, Stearn Electric Company, T Clarke, TLC Electrical Supplies, UK Power Network Services (Commercial), UK Power Network Services (Contracting), WF Senate, Wilts Wholesale, Your Electrical Supplies, Service and Solutions (YESSS)
Supply chain & channel share for electrical products
- Share by value of the major distribution channels within the electrical products market in 2016 and review of recent and projected changes to distribution market share.
- Analysis of the major distribution channels in terms of value, market trends, strengths and weaknesses. Also reviewed are company profiles within each sector and sub sector. The sectors covered are:
- E-tailers both specialist electrical distributors and more general retailers.
- Electrical wholesaler market performance, key characteristics etc.
- Builders' merchants market performance, characteristics and key players.
- Home improvement multiples market performance and leading companies.
- Direct distribution.
- Other trade and retail including electronic component distributors, super distributors, pre-ackers, specialist retailers and grocery multiples.
UK market for online distribution of electrical products
- Total market for electrical products distributed via the internet - analysis of size by value, historical trends and market characteristics.
- Forecasts to 2021 of the growth of internet distribution in the electrical industry.
- Some characteristics of the online and mobile ordering sector, with some contractor views and opinions on internet usage, also barriers to growth of this area.
- Review of key market influences including general trends in e-commerce and mobile access, trends in research and social networking, digital shopping, expansion of click & collect and other online shopping trends.
- Overall Electrical Products Market Size 2012-2016 and forecast through to 2021.
- Total Product Mix 2016 By Value with product sectors including Lighting, Electrical Accessories, Security & Fire, Electric Heating, Ventilation, Renewables, Tools and Equipment, Data Networking materials, domestic appliances etc.
- Market size and key trends and influences impacting on the individual market sectors, with observations and comment on the trends and outlook in each of the key sectors. - Product mix within key individual sectors.
- Distribution mix of individual product sectors.
- Top electrical contractors in the UK, profiles of the leading contractors.
- Some procurement practices of electrical contractors.
The distribution network within electrical products is complex, reflecting a wide range of products and a variety of end use sectors. This report focuses on those products purchased online and delivered to individuals or to a collection point via any distribution channel. The market for distributing electrical products online has seen substantial growth in recent years, with electrical products being increasingly sourced online by both contractors and end users. This has resulted in the market for online distribution of electrical products tripling in size between 2012 and 2017. Much of this growth can be attributed to many of the leading wholesalers and distributors have expanded their internet presence, launching transactional websites and starting to move towards 'omni-channel' services.
The major trend within the distribution of electrical products online is the use of click and collect which has made a significant difference to the way contractors purchase, allowing them to combine the convenience of on-site ordering with collection from a convenient store at a convenient time. Another key market trend sees companies widening product ranges offered through online channels and creating special online ranges and promotions in order to appeal to a wider audience and promote this type of distribution.
The most significant distributors of online sales are internet only distributors and electrical wholesalers. Internet retailers' development of strong online sales platforms has allowed them to gain strength in lighting and appliances in particular. Electrical wholesalers still have room to grow their share of the online distribution market as many do not have transactional websites as of yet. Merchants and home improvement retailers have made progress within their online sales market share, but their limited involvement in the electrical products market restricts their activity within this sector.
Looking forward, growth in this market is likely to remain strong, supported by the presence and performance of companies such as Screwfix, Toolstation and Amazon within the online distribution market. Growth will also be supported by increasing changes to buying patterns with many preferring the convenience of click and collect or click and deliver to traditional purchasing methods as this save the tradesmen substantial time enabling them to focus on their core activity. While remaining strong, growth is not predicted to be at the same levels of previous years as it is likely to be limited by the lack of growth in the electrical products market as a whole ,caused by stagnation in construction due to uncertainty in the overall economy.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. UK DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 4.2 ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS MARKET
- 4.3 MARKET STRUCTURE
- 4.3.1 Supply Chain
- 4.3.2 Direct Supply
- 4.3.3 Electrical Wholesalers
- 4.3.4 Other Trade Channels
- 4.3.5 Builders' and Plumbers' Merchants
- 4.3.6 Other Retail Channels
- 4.3.7 Home Improvement Multiples
- 4.3.8 E-Tailers
5. FOCUS ON ONLINE DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS
- 5.1 DEFINITION - ONLINE DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS
- 5.2 ONLINE DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS - MARKET SIZE & TRENDS
- 5.3 ONLINE DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS - CHANNEL MIX
- 5.4 INTERNET USAGE & TRENDS
6. ELECTRICAL PRODUCT SECTORS
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.2 LIGHTING
- 6.3 ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES
- 6.4 SECURITY & FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEMS
- 6.5 ELECTRIC HEATING PRODUCTS
- 6.6 VENTILATION
- 6.7 OTHER PRODUCTS
7. CONTRACTOR REVIEW
- 7.1 OVERVIEW
- 7.2 LEADING ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING COMPANIES
- 7.3 ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR PROFILES
- 7.4 PROCUREMENT
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1: UK MARKET FOR ONLINE ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 2012-2021 (£M DSP)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 2012-2021 (£M DSP)
- CHART 7: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS
- CHART 8: DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 2017 BY VALUE (£M DSP)
- CHART 9: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS MARKET SHARES 2016 BY VALUE(%) (EDMUNDSON, REXEL, CEF ETC)
- CHART 10: BUILDERS' MERCHANT MARKET SHARES 2016 BY VALUE (%)
- TABLE 11: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET SHARES 2016 BY VALUE (%)
- TABLE 12: ONLINE RETAILER STRATEGIES
- TABLE 13: MARKET FOR ONLINE DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 2012-2021 (£M DSP)
- CHART 14: DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS ONLINE 2017 BY VALUE (£M DSP)
- TABLE 15: UK B2C E-COMMERCE MARKET 2012 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£BN) AND % OF TOTAL RETAIL SALES
- CHART 16: UK E-COMMERCE MARKET: SHARE OF TOTAL RETAIL SALES 2012 - 2017 (%)
- CHART 17: GB USERS WITH MOBILE INTERNET ACCESS 2012, 2014 &
- TABLE 18: TOTAL E-COMMERCE SALES THROUGH WEBSITES FOR BUSINESSES WITH 10+ EMPLOYEES 2012-2015 (£BN)
- CHART 19: BUSINESSES MAKING E-COMMERCE PURCHASES VIA WEBSITES IN 2015 BY COMPANY SIZE
- CHART 20: ONLINE ADVERTISING MIX BY SECTOR 2015 (PAID FOR SEARCHES, DISPLAY ADS, PAID FOR CLASSIFIEDS ETC) - %
- CHART 21: ELECTRICAL PRODUCT MIX 2017 (% BY VALUE)
- CHART 22: UK LIGHTING PRODUCT MIX 2016 - % BY VALUE (LAMPS, LUMINAIRES AND CONTROLS)
- CHART 23: UK LIGHTING DISTRIBUTION MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 24: UK ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES PRODUCT MIX 2016 - % BY VALUE (WIRING ACCESSORIES, CIRCUIT PROTECTION, CABLES)
- CHART 25: UK ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES DISTRIBUTION MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 26: UK SECURITY & FIRE ALARM SYSTEMS PRODUCT MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 27: UK SECURITY & FIRE ALARM SYSTEMS DISTRIBUTION MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 28: UK ELECTRIC HEATING PRODUCT MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE (SPACE HEATING, CONTROLS, CENTRAL, WATER)
- CHART 29: UK ELECTRIC HEATING DISTRIBUTION MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 30: UK VENTILATION DISTRIBUTION MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 31: NUMBER OF ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION 2012-2017 ('000)
- TABLE 32: STANDARD SERVICES OFFERED BY A TYPICAL MEDIUM TO LARGE ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR
- CHART 33: MARKET SHARES BY ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING TURNOVER 2016
- TABLE 34: LEADING ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS IN THE UK - BY ESTIMATED TURNOVER FROM ELECTRICAL WORK 2016