Product Code: bld75
INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research have published the 4th edition of the ‘Facilities Management Outsourcing - Central & Local Government Sector Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. The report offers a unique view of this substantial market, focusing on the outsourced management and delivery of non-core services within central and local government, as well as the social housing sector. Incorporating original input and primary research, this report focuses on the provision of 'bundled' services.
Key issues covered:
- FM Outsourcing across the central and local government market - market size, recent trends, key market influences, forecasts for 2016-19 and future trends.
- Sector analysis: central government, local government and social housing - performance by sector, penetration, key trends and potential opportunities.
- Review of market structure and leading providers - changing supply structure, diversification of service provision and company profiles for the leading contractors within the central & local government and social housing sectors.
- Overview of the wider FM outsourcing market - overall bundled facilities management market size with forecasts to 2019, key market influences etc.
Particular areas of insight include:
- Increasing market polarisation towards large contractors offering a comprehensive array of services and niche sector specialists.
- Market activity within the central and local Government sector from 2009 to 2015, with forecasts through to 2019.
- Impact of Compulsory Living Wage on the overall FM market and on the Corporate FM market in particular.
- Impact of the skills shortages in certain, more highly skilled sectors may constrain growth.
Some of the companies included:
Amey Business Services, Aramark UK, Babcock International Group, Balfour Beatty Workplace, BAM Construct, Bouygues Energies and Services, Carillion Facilities Management, EC Harris, Emcor Facilities Services UK, Europa Support Services, G4S Facilities Management, Gardiner & Theobald, Hochtief Facility Management, Integral UK, Interserve Support Services, ISS UK John Laing Integrated Services Kier Facilities Services, Leisure Connection, Mapeley,MITIE, Morrison Facilities Services, Mouchel, Norland, Norse Group, OCS Group, Parkwood Holdings, Pinnacle PSG, Rentokil Initial Facilities Services, Serco Group, Skanska Facilities Services, Sodexo Facilities Management, Turner Facilities Management, Vinci Facilities, VolkerFitzpatrick.
Key areas covered in the report include:
FM OUTSOURCING - CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT SECTORS
- Sectors included - Central Government, Local Government and Social Housing. Excluded are the health and education sectors which are subject to separate analysis.
- Review of Central / Local Government and Social Housing FM Outsourcing market - estimates of market size from 2009-2015, with forecasts for the period from 2016 to 2019.
- Growth rates and opportunities per sector, mix by sector, mix by service, indications of market maturity.
- Key market influences - macroeconomic factors, construction output, and legislation. Market maturity in some end use sectors, future opportunities, greater client integration, greater emphasis on added-value FM contracts, tighter budgetary control in most sectors etc. Future opportunities and threats.
- Key market changes - legislation changes, compulsory Living Wage, diversification of service provision, increasing maturity in a number of end use sectors, trend towards TFM and ‘bundling'.
- Future prospects for FM Market covering macro-economic influences, outlook by end use sector, key potential growth areas, trends in service provision, impact of market maturity and challenging market conditions over the short to medium term, legislation and other key influences.
KEY CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT END USE SECTORS
- Central Government FM Market size, trends and key influencing factors and estate estimations and operational costs, including focus on the Ministry of Justice, Department of Work and Pensions, HM Revenue and Customs and Business, Skills & Innovation.
- Local Government FM Market size, trends including impact of government funding cuts, and key influencing factors. Focus on the police service, Leisure and Cultural Facilities, and Fire and Rescue Services.
- Social Housing FM Market Size, funding, trends and key influencing factors.
- Review of origins of FM companies and Supply Structure. Share groupings of the major companies across the FM industry.
- Key trends - large number of recent acquisitions & mergers, market entrants, impact of market maturity, expansion and diversification of service provision, market consolidation.
- Market profiles for leading FM providers to central and local Government application areas, covering over 40 major providers and niche specialists - outline includes company size, growth trends, areas of specialisation, some sector strengths and major contracts.
THE OVERALL FM OUTSOURCING MARKET
- Overview of the overall bundled Facilities Management Market - estimates of total market size from 2009-2015, with forecasts for the period from 2016 to 2019.
- Key market influences and future prospects - macroeconomic factors, diversification in service provision, increasing maturity in a number of end use sectors, trend towards TFM and ‘bundling' and legislative influences.
Table of Contents
- 1.1. BACKGROUND
- 1.2. SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 2.2. FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1. GDP
- 3.2. INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3. UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4. HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5. HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6. STERLING
- 3.7. POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8. CONCLUSIONS
4. FM IN THE CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT SECTORS
- 4.1. FACILITIES MANAGEMENT OUTSOURCING MARKET
- 4.1.1. Definition
- 4.1.2. FM Market Size and Trends
- 4.2. CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT FM MARKET DEFINITION
- 4.3. CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT FM MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 4.4. KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.4.1. Public Sector Construction Output
- 4.4.2. Public Private Partnerships
- 4.4.3. Legislation
5. KEY END USE SECTORS WITHIN CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT
- 5.1. END USER MIX
- 5.2. SOCIAL HOUSING FM OUTSOURCING MARKET
- 5.3. CENTRAL GOVERNMENT FM OUTSOURCING MARKET
- 5.3.1. Holdings and Operating Costs
- 5.3.2. Department of Work and Pensions
- 5.3.3. Ministry of Justice
- 5.3.4. Department for Business, Innovation & Skills
- 5.3.5. HM Revenue and Customs
- 5.4. LOCAL GOVERNMENT FM OUTSOURCING MARKET
- 5.4.1. The Police Service
- 5.4.2. Leisure & Cultural Facilities
- 5.4.3. Fire and Rescue Services
6. CONTRACTORS' REVIEW
- 6.1. ORIGINS & SUPPLY STRUCTURE
- 6.2. MARKET SHARES
- 6.3. COMPANY PROFILES
- 6.3.1. Leading Contractors in Central & Local Government
- 6.3.2. Other Large Companies in the FM Market
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1: UK MARKET FOR OUTSOURCED FM IN CENTRAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT 2009-2019 BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6: UK BUNDLED FM OUTSOURCING MARKET AT CURRENT PRICES 2009-2019 (£ MILLION)
- TABLE 7: UK CENTRAL & LOCAL GOVERNMENT FM MARKET 2009-2019 (CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 8: PUBLIC SECTOR CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT 2009-2019 (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES RESIDENTIAL, NON RESIDENTIAL
- CHART 9: PUBLIC SECTOR NEW WORK BY END USER 2015 BY VALUE (%)
- TABLE 10: CURRENT PFI PROJECTS ACROSS GOVERNMENT BY DEPARTMENT 2014
- CHART 11: NUMBER AND COMBINED CAPITAL VALUE OF PFI PROJECTS SIGNED ANNUALLY 2000 TO MARCH 2014
- TABLE 12: PROJECTED SERVICE PAYMENTS UNDER PFI CONTRACTS - 2008/2009 TO 2029/2030
- CHART 13: MIX OF FM END USER MARKET BY VALUE 2014 (%)
- TABLE 14: DWELLING STOCK - BY TENURE, UK THOUSANDS OF DWELLINGS 2009-2015
- TABLE 15: SELECTED EXPENDITURE ON HOUSING ASSOCIATION PROPERTIES, VALUE ESTIMATES 2012-14 £M.
- TABLE 16: MANAGEMENT AND MAINTENANCE COSTS ON LOCAL AUTHORITY PROPERTIES, VALUE ESTIMATES 2012-16 £M.
- CHART 17: CENTRAL GOVERNMENT ESTATES STRUCTURE
- TABLE 18: TOTAL AREA OF THE MANDATED ESTATE AT JANUARY 2014 AND CHANGE SINCE 2013 AND 2009 (M2, % CHANGE) BY DEPARTMENT
- TABLE 19: TOTAL REPORTED ANNUAL RUNNING COST 2013/14 BY GOVERNMENTAL DEPARTMENT
- TABLE 20: COST PER SQUARE METRE 2013/14 BY MAJOR GOVERNMENTAL DEPARTMENT
- TABLE 21: PROPERTY COST AND OCCUPIED SPACE PER FULL TIME EMPLOYEE*
- TABLE 22: TOP 20 FM SUPPORT SERVICES COMPANIES IN THE UK