Product Code: Bld8
The 3rd edition of the ‘Plumbers Merchants Market Report - UK 2018-2022’ has been published by AMA Research, covering plumbing & drainage (including bathroom products), heating, ventilation & air conditioning, kitchens & bathrooms. The report illustrates the diverse nature of this industry, recent performance and the development of competitive channels such as the Internet and DIY multiples.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market structure and recent developments within the market.
- Market prospects to 2022 - market value, opportunities, Brexit etc.
- Detailed information - market size, influencing, market factors, key players and merchants' customers.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix, sector trends and merchants' market share are covered for plumbing & drainage (including bathroom products), heating, ventilation & air conditioning & kitchen furniture, and appliances.
Areas of particular interest:
- Analysis of market size and a comprehensive review of key factors and trends influencing the market - impact of construction trends, economic environment, consumer expenditure and purchasing trends - and the likely impact of Brexit etc.
- Market performance prospects from 2018 to 2022 - construction forecasts by key end-use market, key influences and development of merchant activities, opportunities etc.
- Review of leading national plumbers merchants and other key regional merchants.
- Identification of key customer groups in merchants' market - the performance of merchants and DIY multiples, influence of Internet sales.
- Review of market structure - supply chain analysis for lightside product distribution.
THE PLUMBERS MERCHANTS
- Leading national merchants - turnover, company structure, review of recent performance, market share.
- Regional merchants - identification of key players, turnover, main product areas and branch numbers.
- Buying groups - increasing importance in the merchants' market and identification of the main groups.
- Merchants' characteristics - product ranges, profitability.
- Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats in the merchant sector.
THE PLUMBERS MERCHANTS MARKET
- The merchants' market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by value from 2013-2017, trends and forecasts from 2018-2022.
- Dominance by national merchants - market mix by merchant type.
- Market trends and major factors influencing market development.
- Identification of merchants' main customers.
- Product pricing trends in the industry.
- Review of market structure - lightside product distribution.
- Merchants' share of construction output and how this has changed in recent years.
PRODUCTS AND SUPPLIERS IN THE MERCHANTS MARKET
- Product groups reviewed: heating, ventilation & air conditioning (HVAC), plumbing & drainage products, bathroom products and kitchen products.
- Product mix for plumbers merchants in 2017.
- Analysis by product group - market size 2013-2017, with forecast to 2018 and product mix within each sector. Review of products including recent trends and factors affecting sector.
- Key brassware and tap suppliers by product sector - bathroom brassware, kitchen taps, TMVs, kitchen water systems.
- Market shares by value of leading bathroom and tap suppliers, including company profile, strengths.
- Other key suppliers, by product sector - company profiles of 60+ other suppliers.
- Distribution channel shares - merchants, home improvement multiples, kitchen and bathroom retail specialists, online retailers, direct supply, grocery and furniture multiples, department stores etc.
- Distribution trends and key companies per channel.
Bradfords Building Supplies, C&W Berry, Carvers (Wolverhampton), Crossling, David Cover & Son, EH Smith, Elliott Brothers (Elliots), Grafton, Grant & Stone, Haldane Fisher, HPS (Heating Plumbing Supplies), Huws Gray, James Hargreaves, John Nicholls (Trading), Joseph Parr Group, JT Atkinson & Sons, JT Dove, Kent Blaxill & Co, Lawsons (Whetstone), Robert Price, MKM Building Supplies, MP Moran & Sons, N&C Building Products, Parker Building Supplies, Rawle Gammon & Baker, Ridgeons, Saint Gobain, Smith Brothers Stores, STC Plumbing and Heating Merchants, Sydenhams, Travis Perkins, Williams Trade Supplies, Wolseley and more.
Table of Contents
- 1.1. INTRODUCTION
- 1.2. SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS
- 2.1. SUMMARY
- 2.2. MARKET PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1. GDP
- 3.2. INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3. UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4. HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5. HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6. STERLING
- 3.7. POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8. CONCLUSIONS
4. THE PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET
- 4.1. DEFINITION
- 4.2. MARKET STRUCTURE
- 4.2.1. Lightside/Plumbing Product Distribution
- 4.3. MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS
- 4.4. MERCHANTS' SHARE OF CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT
- 4.5. BUILDING AND CONSTRUCTION MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.5.1. Overall Construction Market
- 4.5.2. The Housing Market
5. THE PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS
- 5.1. MARKET SHARE
- 5.2. MERCHANT COMPANIES
- 5.2.1. National Merchants
- 5.2.2. Large Regional Merchants
- 5.2.3. Medium and Small Size Regionals
- 5.2.4. Local Merchants
- 5.2.5. Buying Groups
- 5.3. CHARACTERISTICS OF PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS
- 5.3.1. Product Range
- 5.3.2. Pricing and Prices
- 5.4. MERCHANTS' MARKET - SWOT ANALYSIS
- 5.5. MERCHANTS' COMPETITORS
- 5.6. MERCHANTS' CUSTOMERS
- 5.6.1. Plumbing and Heating Contractors
- 5.6.2. Housebuilders/General Builders
- 5.6.3. Commercial Construction
- 5.6.4. Mechanical and Electrical Contractors
- 5.6.5. Local Authorities, Public Bodies including HA/RSL/ALMOS
- 5.6.6. Other Customers
6. PRODUCT REVIEW
- 6.1. PRODUCT MIX
- 6.2. MERCHANTS' SHARES BY PRODUCT
- 6.3. PRODUCT TRENDS
- 6.3.1. Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- 6.3.2. Plumbing & Drainage products
- 6.3.3. Bathroom products
- 6.3.4. Kitchen Products
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1: UK PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS MARKET 2013 - 2022 BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6: CHANGE IN PRODUCT CATEGORY DEFINITIONS
- CHART 7: BUILDING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- TABLE 8: UK PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS MARKET 2013 - 2022 BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- TABLE 9: LEADING UK IMPORTED CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS 2017 BY VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 10: PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS SHARE OF UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (EXCLUDING INFRASTRUCTURE) 2013 TO 2022 (£BN)
- CHART 11: UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - KEY SECTORS, ANNUAL OUTPUT (CURRENT PRICES) INDEX 2013 = 100, 2011 - 2018
- CHART 12: HOUSEBUILDING STARTS & COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND, WALES, SCOTLAND) BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS 2013 - 2022
- TABLE 13: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2013 -2022
- CHART 14: KEY PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET SHARES 2018
- TABLE 15: SHARE OF THE NATIONAL MERCHANTS VS REGIONAL/LOCAL MERCHANTS 2001-2018 (% BY VALUE)
- TABLE 16: KEY INDICATORS- TRAVIS PERKINS (PLUMBING & HEATING DIVISION)
- TABLE 17: KEY INDICATORS - WOLSELEY UK
- TABLE 18: KEY INDICATORS - GRAFTON GROUP
- TABLE 19: CHANGE OF PRICE INDICES OF SELECTED CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS, ANNUAL AVERAGES 2013-2017 (%)
- TABLE 20: PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' MARKET - SWOT ANALYSIS
- TABLE 21: PLUMBING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING ENTERPRISES REGISTERED FOR VAT & PAYE EMPLOYERS BY TURNOVER BAND 2017
- TABLE 22: UK ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF BUILDINGS REGISTERED FOR VAT & PAYE EMPLOYERS BY TURNOVER BAND SIZE 2017
- TABLE 23: TOP 10 CONTRACTORS IN THE EDUCATION SECTOR (BY NUMBER & VALUE OF CONTRACTS AWARDED) 2016-17
- CHART 24: PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS PRODUCT MIX 2017
- TABLE 25: PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS' SHARE OF PRODUCT MARKETS (£M MERCHSP) 2017
- CHART 26: THE HVAC MARKET 2013 TO 2018 - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP)
- CHART 27: PRODUCT MIX HVAC - % BY VALUE 2018
- TABLE 28: PLUMBING AND DRAINAGE MATERIALS, MERCHANT SALES AT £M MERCHANT SELLING PRICES, 2013 - 2018
- CHART 29: PRODUCT MIX FOR THE PLUMBING & DRAINAGE MARKET - BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 2018
- TABLE 30: BATHROOM PRODUCTS, MERCHANT SALES (£M MERCHSP) 2013 - 2018
- CHART 31: PRODUCT MIX FOR BATHROOMS - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANTS SELLING PRICES) 2018
- CHART 32: THE DOMESTIC KITCHEN PRODUCTS MARKET- BY VALUE (£M MERCHSP) 2013-2018
- CHART 33: PRODUCT MIX KITCHEN FURNITURE AND APPLIANCES - % BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES) 2018