Product Code: gdn1
Introduction and Overview
The 13th edition of the 'Domestic Garden Leisure Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' addresses the garden furniture, barbecues and garden leisure accessories sectors sold in the domestic sector. The report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that are likely to impact on the market going forward over the next 5 years.
Key issues covered in the report include:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market structure, key suppliers and recent developments in the market.
- Highly fragmented market - key distribution channels including DIY multiples, internet & specialist e-tailers, garden centres, high street multiples etc.
- Analysis by product group - garden furniture, barbecues and accessories including trends & factors influencing sector performance, materials mix, mix by fuel type (barbecues), market sizes and key suppliers.
- Forecasts of market developments up to 2021 - market size and factors impacting on the market.
Areas of Particular interest include:
- Market performance review and forecasts to 2021.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics.
- Changes to material mix within the garden furniture sector.
- Review of distribution structure.
- Review of key players - product mix and market share estimates.
- Growth of internet channel and omni-channel approach.
Some of the companies included:
Keter UK, Leisuregrow Products, Kettler UK, Hartmann UK, Li-Lo Leisure, Gloster Furniture, Alexander Rose, Barlow Tyrie, Cozy Bay, Westminster Teak, PJ Bridgman, A Mir & Co, Grosfillex, Bramblecrest, Zest4Leisure, Importers, Weber, Char-Broil, Landmann, Outback, Sahara, Beefeater, Broil King, Napoleon, Cadac, Coleman, Greenfingers Trading, Jersey Choice, Garden Centre Online, Gerrico, Keengardener, Summer Garden and Leisure Building, The Internet Gardener, Concept Marketing & Distribution, Garden4less, The Garden Superstore, Garden Supply Direct, Hall's Garden Supplies, Taylored Investments, Greatlittlegarden.co.uk, Crocus, Kybotech, Meika, Argos, JD Williams & Company, Otto Group, Freemans Grattan Holding (FGH), Scotts Limited, STM Group plc, Shop Direct, Catalink, QVC (qvcuk.com), Amazon, Next, Waitrose, Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's, John Lewis, Debenhams, House of Fraser, Selfridges, Marks & Spencer, Bentalls, IKEA Group, Home Bargains, B&M Retail, TK Maxx, HomeSense.
Garden Furniture Sector
- Market size in domestic sector by value - trends from 2012, with forecasts through until 2021. Recent market performance, current situation and reasons for trends, including positive and negative factors affecting the market.
- Future trends for overall garden furniture - forecast to 2021, key factors influencing future prospects.
- Product mix by type - shares by tables, chairs, sets, benches, hammocks etc in 2016.
- Mix by material - wood, metal, plastic/resin - market shares, changes by material - 2006 to 2016.
- Key suppliers of different types of garden furniture, leading companies within the garden furniture market - market shares, positioning etc.
- Distribution channels for garden leisure products - channel shares (DIY, Garden Centres, Internet, Dept. Stores, Catalogue/Mail Order etc.), growth of internet, major companies involved in each channel.
- Size of barbecue market in both volume and value terms, 2012 to 2016, with forecasts to 2021. Reasons for recent trends, factors affecting recent performance of the market.
- Forecasts for barbecue sales and factors influencing trends.
- Mix barbecues by type - charcoal, gas - share by value and volume, growth of gas barbecues, other product trends.
- Changing nature of product mix in the barbecue sector and key drivers for this change.
- Future prospects for the barbecue and accessories markets.
- Major manufacturers/suppliers of barbecues, brand shares for 2016, company information. Other suppliers involved in the manufacturing or distribution of barbecues and associated products.
- Distribution channels for barbecues and major chains/companies involved in each channel.
Garden Leisure and Barbecue Accessories
- Barbecue and accessory fuel market, size by value and recent trends.
- Leisure accessory products including - patio heaters, fire pits, chimeneas etc - changing trends, environmental issues etc.
- Key suppliers for each of the above areas.
- Prospects for the garden leisure market - overview of key markets - furniture, barbecues, accessories.
- Major factors influencing future performance - housing market trends, consumer shopping trends etc.
- Forecast developments by product and market sectors.
For the purposes of this report, the Domestic Garden Leisure market is divided into three sectors: garden furniture, barbecues and accessories (including cooking utensils, fuel, patio heaters, etc). This market estimate includes garden leisure products for the domestic market only, and excludes contract furniture/equipment for pubs, hotels and public spaces. In addition, our market value for furniture does not include cushions/upholstery. The market was estimated to have grown by around 6% in 2016.
The performance of the market has been linked to improving economic conditions in recent years, also underpinned by reasonable spring and summer weather overall. There has also been a trend towards higher priced items as people invest in their homes. Garden decoration has been a particular area of growth, for example decorative features and paving, and the garden leisure sector has also benefited. Garden furniture continues to account for the largest share in terms product value mix, followed by barbecues and barbecue equipment with associated accessories. However, the proportionate share of garden furniture has marginally declined in recent years.
Garden leisure products are primarily sourced and manufactured abroad. Key areas include the Far East, China and Eastern Europe, where production costs are much lower than in the UK. In terms of UK distribution, DIY multiples continue to dominate within the garden leisure market, with internet sales continuing to grow across all channels, both specialists and general retailers, as an omni-channel approach is adopted across the industry.
The domestic garden leisure sector is mature, with high household penetration levels, and this places greater emphasis on suppliers to encourage upgrading and replacement of products. Sales of domestic garden leisure products remain closely linked to the housing market, and while new housebuilding levels are rising, gardens are becoming smaller. The garden leisure sector is forecast to remain reasonably buoyant over the next 4 years, despite the economic uncertainty, as staying at home to entertain proves to be an attractive and affordable option. However, consumers are likely to shop around to obtain the best price for 'big ticket' items, especially in the face of rising import prices within the sector.
Table of Contents
List of Report Contents
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 THE GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET
- 4.2 THE DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET
- 4.3 DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET PRODUCT MIX
- 4.4 OTHER KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.4.1 Housebuilding Starts and Completions
- 4.4.2 Completions Mix - Flats versus Houses
- 4.4.3 House Moving Levels
- 4.4.4 The British Weather
5. GARDEN FURNITURE
- 5.1 DEFINITION
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND HISTORY
- 5.3 MATERIAL MIX
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.5 SUPPLY STRUCTURE
6. BARBECUES 44
- 6.1 DEFINITION
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.3.1 Charcoal Barbecues
- 6.3.2 Gas Barbecues
- 6.3.3 Other Barbecues
- 6.4 HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION
- 6.5 SUPPLY STRUCTURE
7. ACCESSORIES MARKET
- 7.1 DEFINITION
- 7.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE
- 7.3 BARBECUE/PATIO HEATER FUELS
- 7.4 BARBECUE ACCESSORIES
- 7.5 PATIO HEATERS
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE
- 8.2 CHANNEL SHARE
- 8.3 DIY AND HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES
- 8.4 GARDEN CENTRES
- 8.5 INTERNET SUPPLIERS AND E-SHOPPING, CATALOGUE AND MAIL ORDER
- 8.5.1 Internet Suppliers and E-Shopping
- 8.5.2 Catalogue and Mail Order
- 8.6 DEPARTMENT STORES AND VARIETY STORES
- 8.7 HIGH STREET CHAINS, GROCERY MULTIPLES AND HARDWARE STORES
- 8.7.1 High Street Chains
- 8.7.2 Grocery Multiples
- 8.7.3 Hardware Independents
- 8.8 OTHERS 69
Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6: UK GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET BY MAJOR PRODUCT GROUP 2016 (HORTICULTURAL, LEISURE, EQUIPMENT, BUILDINGS, CHEMICALS ETC) - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 7: UK GARDEN LEISURE MARKET BY SECTOR (GARDEN FURNITURE, BARBECUES & ASSOCIATED ACCESSORIES) 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- CHART 8: UK MARKET FOR GARDEN LEISURE VALUE MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (FURNITURE, BBQS, ACCESSORIES) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 9: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS)
- CHART 10: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2005-2020 - % BY VOLUME
- TABLE 11: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS (VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE) 2012-2020 - BY VOLUME (000'S)
- TABLE 12: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M RSP)
- CHART 13: GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET BY MATERIAL BY VALUE - METAL, WOOD, RESIN/PLASTIC/OTHER - 2006-2016
- TABLE 14: GARDEN FURNITURE PRODUCT MIX (TABLES, CHAIRS, SETS, BENCHES, HAMMOCKS, ETC) 2006, 2009, 2013 AND 2016 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 15: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET KEY SUPPLIERS 2016
- TABLE 16: UK BARBECUE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VOLUME (000'S) AND VALUE (£M RSP)
- TABLE 17: UK MARKET FOR BARBECUES PRODUCT MIX (CHARCOAL, GAS, OTHERS) 2016 - % BY VOLUME AND VALUE
- CHART 18: UK MARKET FOR BARBECUES PRODUCT MIX (GAS, CHARCOAL, OTHERS) 2006, 2009 2013 & 2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 19: UK MARKET FOR BARBECUES HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION RATES 1986-2016 - % OF HOUSEHOLDS
- TABLE 20: UK BARBECUE BRAND SHARE 2016
- TABLE 21: UK GARDEN LEISURE ACCESSORY MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 (£M RSP) - FUEL, ACCESSORIES, OUTDOOR HEATERS
- CHART 22: GARDEN LEISURE DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- CHART 23: UK GARDEN LEISURE MARKET DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES (DIY, GARDEN CENTRES, INTERNET, CAT/MAIL ORDER, DEPT STORES, ETC) 2016 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 24: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE 2016