Product Code: frn10
Introduction and Overview
The 7th edition of the ‘Healthcare Construction Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' focuses on key market trends and major structural changes within the NHS and private sectors, which should be of particular interest to construction professionals involved in or targeting the healthcare sector.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Government reform of the NHS and implications of the Health & Social Care Act for the construction industry.
- New providers and clients under the new NHS structure.
- Analysis of capital funding to 2021 and capital funding arrangements under new NHS structure.
- Major contractors, consortia, developers and investors involved in the healthcare sector - construction pipelines, budgets, key schemes and players.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Review of primary healthcare and GP estate and Government funding to upgrade premises - GPs now firmly at the core of the NHS.
- Review of future of main procurement routes and construction - PFI and Private Finance 2 (PF2), LIFT and ExpressLIFT, Hub Initiative in Scotland, Procure21+, Designed for Life: Building for Wales and Frameworks Scotland - construction pipelines, budgets, key schemes and players.
- Shift away from major new build hospital schemes towards local and primary health facilities and refurbishment schemes. ExpressLIFT and P21+ construction pipeline.
- Review of growing involvement of private sector and commercial providers in the NHS primary care provision.
Some of the companies included:
Balfour Beatty, BAM, Bowmer & Kirkland, Bouygues, Bovis, Carillion, Eric Wright Group, Galliford Try, Graham Construction, ISG, Laing O'Rourke, Kier, Interserve, John Laing, John Sisk, Laing O'Rourke, Lend Lease, McLaughlin & Harvey, Midas Construction, Mitie, Morgan Sindall, NG Bailey, RG Carter, Robertson Construction, Rydon, Seddon Group, Sir Robert McAlpine, Shepherd Building, Skanska, Simons Construction, Vinci, Willmott Dixon.
Public Sector Healthcare in the UK
- Overview and new structure of the NHS - England, Scotland, Wales - Government reforms of the NHS and implications of new Health & Social care act.
- New providers and clients under new NHS structure - CCGs, Foundation Trusts, NHSCB.
- Size and condition of NHS estate in England, Wales and Scotland - impact of reforms on NHS estate rationalisation and upkeep.
- Healthcare spending and investment - primary care spending, NHS funding in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, forecasts 2017-2021.
Private Acute Healthcare Sector in the UK
- Private partnership with the NHS and analysis of private and corporate providers in the NHS.
- Acute private hospital provision and leading providers - number of facilities, key contracts.
- Private healthcare companies - key players, market size including major groups, retail outlets moving into primary healthcare, private healthcare groups and property/investment companies - top 25 major players specializing in GP and primary care premises investment and development.
- Private dental care - major dental companies/practices.
Contractors' Output in the Healthcare Sector
- Analysis of total new work construction output - output by sector for 2017 and beyond.
- Construction output in the healthcare sector - 2012-2021 - factors influencing forecasts.
- Healthcare construction work pipeline - key funding streams (PFI/PPP, P21, P21+), programme budgets to 2021, number of schemes/capital values.
- Capital expenditure in the NHS - England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland - key developments.
Procurement of Healthcare Construction Work
- Size/value of PFI healthcare market and progress of schemes to date.
- Future of Healthcare PFI (Private Finance 2) - key schemes, values.
- Overview of NHS LIFT/ExpressLIFT/Hub Initiative in Scotland/Procure21 & Procure21+/Designed for Life: Building for Wales Framework/Frameworks Scotland - budgets, construction pipelines, progress to date, forecasts.
- NHS ExpressLIFT and P21+ construction pipelines to 2020 - values, schemes, status, players etc.
- Other finance and procurement options for NHS clients - LABVs, joint ventures, surplus land - open up the market considerably to smaller firms and suppliers.
Construction Supply in the Healthcare Sector
- Key construction companies in the healthcare sector - recent projects.
- Key consortia in healthcare sector - key players.
- Healthcare developers and investors.
- Current construction opportunities and tenders in the healthcare sector.
Table of Contents
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1. GDP
- 3.2. INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3. UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4. HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5. HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6. STERLING
- 3.7. POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8. CONCLUSIONS
4. CONTRACTORS OUTPUT IN THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR
- 4.1. TOTAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT
- 4.1.1. Construction New Work and RMI - Value of Output to 2021
- 4.1.2. Non-Residential Construction Output by Sector in 2016
- 4.2. CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT IN THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR
- 4.2.1. Outlook for Healthcare Construction Work
- 4.2.2. Healthcare Construction Pipeline
- 4.3. CAPITAL EXPENDITURE IN THE NHS
- 4.3.1. England
- 4.3.2. Scotland
- 4.3.3. Wales
- 4.3.4. Northern Ireland
5. PUBLIC SECTOR HEALTHCARE IN THE UK
- 5.1. OVERVIEW AND STRUCTURE OF THE NHS
- 5.1.1. NHS Reform
- 5.1.2. Providers and Clients in the NHS
- 5.2. HEALTHCARE SPENDING IN THE UK
- 5.2.1. NHS Funding - England
- 5.2.2. NHS Funding - Scotland
- 5.2.3. NHS Funding - Wales
- 5.3. NHS ESTATE RATIONALISATION
- 5.3.1. England
- 5.3.2. Scotland
- 5.3.3. Wales
- 5.3.4. Northern Ireland
- 5.3.5. Future of the NHS Estate
- 5.3.6. GP Premises
6. PRIVATE ACUTE HEALTHCARE SECTOR IN THE UK
- 6.1. OVERVIEW & SIZE
- 6.1.1. Partnership with the NHS
- 6.2. LEADING PRIVATE HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS
- 6.2.1. Private Healthcare Companies
- 6.2.2. Private Dental Care
7. PROCUREMENT OF HEALTHCARE CONSTRUCTION WORK
- 7.1. PFI
- 7.1.1. PF2
- 7.1.2. PFI in the Healthcare Sector
- 7.1.3. Alternative Models to PFI in the Healthcare Sector
- 7.2. PROCUREMENT ROUTES FOR GPS AND CCGS
- 7.2.1. Future of Healthcare Procurement
- 7.3. MAIN HEALTHCARE CONSTRUCTION PROCUREMENT PROGRAMMES IN THE UK
- 7.3.1. NHS LIFT
- 7.3.2. HUB Initiative Scotland
- 7.3.3. Procure21+/Procure22
- 7.3.4. Designed for Life: Building for Wales (Procure21 in Wales)
- 7.3.5. Frameworks Scotland
- 7.3.6. Other Finance and Procurement Options for Healthcare Clients
8. CONSTRUCTION SUPPLY IN THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR
- 8.1. OVERVIEW
- 8.2. LEADING CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTORS IN THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR
- 8.3. LEADING CONSORTIA IN THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR
- 8.4. HEALTHCARE DEVELOPERS & INVESTORS
Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: SUMMARY OF MAJOR HEALTHCARE CAPITAL SPENDING PROGRAMMES 2016-2021 BY PROGRAMME VALUE (£BN)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6: VALUE OF TOTAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2011-2021 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 7: VALUE OF NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY SECTOR - % BY VALUE 2016
- TABLE 8: CONTRACTORS OUTPUT IN THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR (PUBLIC & PRIVATE) 2011-2021 (£M)
- CHART 9: HEALTHCARE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT FORECASTS 2016-2021 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 10: HEALTHCARE PROJECTS: FORWARD CONSTRUCTION PIPELINE 2016-2020 BY SCHEME STATUS AND VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 11: NHS CAPITAL SPENDING 2015-2020 (£BN)
- TABLE 12: TOTAL HEALTHCARE SPENDING SCOTLAND 2011-2017 (£M)
- TABLE 13: WALES - HEALTHCARE CAPITAL SPENDING 2011-2021 (£M)
- TABLE 14: NORTHERN IRELAND - HEALTHCARE CAPITAL SPENDING 2011-2017 (£M)
- TABLE 15: STRUCTURE OF THE REFORMED NHS 2016
- TABLE 16: MAIN NHS FUNDING SEGMENTS 2016-17(£BN)
- TABLE 17: NHS ENGLAND SPENDING REVIEW SETTLEMENT 2015-2021 (£BN)
- TABLE 18: CCG FINANCIAL ALLOCATIONS 2015-16 TO 2020-21 (£BN)
- TABLE 19: TOTAL HEALTHCARE SPENDING SCOTLAND 2015-2017 (£M)
- TABLE 20: ENGLAND - TOTAL SIZE OF NHS ESTATE (SQ. M.) 2012-2016 (£M)
- TABLE 21: SCOTLAND - TOTAL SIZE OF ESTATE (SQ. M. MILLIONS) 2015
- CHART 22: NHS SCOTLAND - BACKLOG MAINTENANCE BY NHS BOARD (%)
- CHART 23: NHS SCOTLAND - AGE PROFILE OF THE ESTATE (%)
- CHART 24: PRIVATE ACUTE HEALTHCARE MARKET - VALUE OF SERVICES BY SECTOR 2015-16 £BN)
- TABLE 25: MAJOR NHS HEALTHCARE CONTRACTS AWARDED TO THE PRIVATE SECTOR
- TABLE 26: LEADING UK PRIVATE HOSPITAL PROVIDERS 2016 - NO. OF HOSPITALS, BEDS AND OVERALL MARKET SHARE
- TABLE 27: TOP PRIMARY HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS BY NUMBER OF SURGERIES OWNED 2017
- TABLE 28: LEADING UK PRIVATE DENTAL COMPANIES BY NO. OF PRACTICES IN 2015 AND 2017
- TABLE 29: CURRENT PFI INVESTMENTS BY GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT (BY NUMBER AND CAPITAL COST £M)
- TABLE 30: PFI/PF2 HEALTHCARE SCHEMES - BY SCHEME STATUS AND VALUE (£M) (AS AT APRIL 2016)
- TABLE 31: NHS LIFT FORWARD PIPELINE - BY SCHEME STATUS AND VALUE (£M) 2017
- TABLE 32: HUB INITIATIVE SCOTLAND - HUBCOS (AREA, CAPITAL VALUES, AND SUPPLY CHAIN PARTNERS ETC)
- TABLE 33: HUB INITIATIVE SCOTLAND - KEY HEALTH PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT: 2016-2020 BY VALUE (£M)
- CHART 34: P21/P21+ - CAPITAL VALUE OF SCHEMES IN DEVELOPMENT 2012-2020 (£M)
- TABLE 35: PROCURE21/P21+ FORWARD CONSTRUCTION PIPELINE 2016-2020 BY SCHEME STATUS AND VALUE (£M)
- TABLE 36: DESIGNED FOR LIFE: BUILDING FOR WALES: FRAMEWORK PARTNERS
- TABLE 37: FRAMEWORKS SCOTLAND - KEY HEALTH PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT: 2016-2020 BY VALUE (£M), DATE AND CONTRACTOR
- TABLE 38: TOP PUBLIC SECTOR CLIENTS - KEY CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS BY VALUE 2015-2021 (£M)
- TABLE 39: HEALTH SECTOR ANALYSIS - TOP CONTRACTORS IN THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR: KEY PROJECTS IN 2016, FRAMEWORKS AND PREVIOUS HEALTHCARE EXPERIENCE
- TABLE 40: HEALTH SECTOR ANALYSIS - MAJOR CONSORTIA AND FRAMEWORK PARTNERS
- TABLE 41: PRIMARY HEALTHCARE DEVELOPERS & INVESTORS BY NUMBER OF PRIMARY CARE PREMISES OWNED 2017