AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 10th edition of
their review of the tool hire sector - "Tool Hire Specialists Market Report
- UK 2014-2018 Analysis". This publication represents a comprehensive and
up-to-date review of the structure of the tool hire industry with particular
emphasis on the following:
- TOOL HIRE MARKET - Size, Structure, Trends, Forecasts up to 2018
- HIRE COMPANIES - National, Regional, Local, Specialists, Builders
- ANALYSIS BY PRODUCT GROUP - Access equipment; Concreting &
Compacting; Heating, Cooling & Drying; Plumbing & Pumping; Lighting, Welding &
Power; Drilling & Breaking; Cutting & Grinding; Gardening & Landscaping;
Cleaning & Floor Preparation; Carpentry & Woodworking; Miscellaneous Products.
The tool hire market is continually evolving in terms of industry structure,
product specialisation and relative importance of key markets. Infrastructure,
housebuilding and RMI have helped to underpin the market at different times in
recent years, while other factors such as the weather and legislative changes
have also had an impact.
Issues of specific interest:
- Analysis of market performance 2007-2013.
- Forecast of market developments from 2014-2018.
- Review of key market influences, including non-domestic
construction, housebuilding, RMI, events sector, weather, regulations and
- Hire Product Group analysis - market sizes, influences and trend,
key growth sectors, future prospects.
- Market shares and review of major players in the UK tool hire
- Estimated shares of type of hire company (eg. plant, tool,
specialist) for each hire product group.
Some of the key companies featured include:
A-Plant, Balloo Hire, Banson Tool Hire, Bradford Building Supplies, Brandon
Hire Limited, Champion Hire, Gap Group, HSS Hire Service Group, Jewson, Lord
Hire Centres, Ridgeon, Speedy Hire, Supply UK Hire Shops, Travis Perkins, VP
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Tool hire market definition in terms of type of outlets and range of
- Market size - analysis by value 2007-2013 and forecasts
up to 2016.
- Market trends and major factors influencing market development -
housebuilding, non-domestic construction and industrial activity, new
specialist products, events, DIY market, legislation etc..
- Hire market forecasts - market size, prospects and influencing
factors on the market for 2014-2018.
TOOL HIRE COMPANIES
- Overview of supply structure - competitive, mature market including
hire outlets and builders merchants
- Review of leading tool hire companies -nationals and large regional
operators - market shares, turnover, company structure etc.
- Identification of key tool hire customer groups - builders,
plumbing & heating contractors, public sector, facilities management companies
- Total volume of outlets - multiple branch companies, builders
merchants, small hire companies.
- Share of hire market by value - multiple branch companies, builders
merchants, small hire companies. Comparison of shares in 2007 and 2013.
PRODUCTS / SUPPLIERS
- Market size by major hire product group in 2013.
- Product mixes - estimated shares of main product groups within
overall market, and sub-sector product mixes.
- Product groups reviewed - definition, market size and product mix
within each sector and product breakdowns within sectors.
- Key trends by product group - recent trends and factors affecting
the sector, growth sectors, relative importance of the hire market.
- Identification of main suppliers by product group.
- Shares of tool hire companies, plant hire companies and specialists
in key product sectors.
FUTURE PROSPECTS / HOUSING / CONSTRUCTION
- Forecasts for market development to 2018.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - construction
levels, weather, trend towards Internet retailing, market competition, 'hire
v.s. buy' issue, hire rates etc.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The UK tool hire market is estimated to be worth around Ј721m in 2013.
This competitive market incorporates a diverse group of hire products and
serves a wide range of end use sectors, including infrastructure, private
commercial construction, housebuilding, industrial and DIY/home improvements.
The core product sectors of the UK tool hire market include access equipment;
drilling & breaking; power, welding and lighting; gardening & landscaping;
plumbing & pumping; cutting & grinding, heating, cooling & drying; carpentry &
woodworking; cleaning & floor preparation; concreting & compacting; as well as
a wide range of miscellaneous products. Access equipment, the largest product
sector, is estimated to account for around 13% of the market, with other key
sectors being heating, cooling & drying (10%), power, lighting & welding;
gardening and landscaping (8% respectively).
Overall the construction industry saw a varying performance between sectors in
2013, but a recovery in some sectors in the second half of the year,
particularly housebuilding, together with extreme weather that stimulated
demand for particular products, helped to underpin the market. The improving
economic climate has led to more, albeit cautious, optimism in the tool hire
Key sectors expected to provide opportunities are infrastructure and
housebuilding initially, followed by offices, industrial, retail and leisure
sectors. The events industry in the UK is growing and this should continue to
provide demand for some tool hire sectors. Influencing 'local' hire demand for
tools & equipment are factors such as regional investment programmes as well
as geographic, climatic and seasonal factors. Also impacting on the market are
other issues such as health & safety and environmental & energy efficiency
The tool hire market is dominated by large, multi-branch organisations, which
have expanded through a combination of organic growth and acquisition. Key
companies include Speedy Hire, HSS Hire and A-Plant.
The UK tool hire market is forecast to grow steadily through to 2018, reaching
an estimated value of around Ј828 million, with prospects dependent on
underlying growth in the economy as well as continued growth in the domestic
sector and recovery in the non-domestic sectors.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 THE TOOL HIRE SPECIALISTS MARKET
- 4.1 OVERVIEW
- 4.2 TOOL HIRE MARKET DEFINITION
- 4.3 MARKET STRUCTURE - PRODUCT SALES/TOOL HIRE
- 4.4 MARKET SIZE
- 4.4.1 Background and Recent Performance
- 4.4.2 Future Prospects
5 TOOL HIRE COMPANIES
- 5.1 OVERVIEW
- 5.2 MARKET SHARES
- 5.2.1 Tool Hire Company Market Shares
- 5.2.2 By Outlet Numbers
- 5.2.3 By value
- 5.3 HIRE COMPANIES
- 5.3.1 National Hire Companies
- 5.3.2 Major Regional Companies
- 5.3.3 Plant Hire Companies
- 5.3.4 Builders and Plumbers Merchants
- 5.3.5 Small Independent Hire Companies
- 5.3.6 Other Hire Outlets
- 5.4 BUYING AND SPECIFICATION PROCESS
- 5.4.1 Buying Groups and Trade Bodies
- 5.4.2 Legislation and Training.
- 6.1 OVERVIEW
- 6.1.1 Product Shares of Tool Hire Sectors within Overall Construction
- 6.2 PRODUCT MIX OFFERED BY TOOL HIRE COMPANIES
- 6.3 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 6.3.1 Access Equipment
- 6.3.2 Heating, Cooling and Drying
- 6.3.3 Gardening & Landscaping Equipment
- 6.3.4 Plumbing and Pumping
- 6.3.5 Power, Welding & Lighting
- 6.3.6 Drilling & Breaking
- 6.3.7 Cleaning & Floor Preparation
- 6.3.8 Carpentry & Woodworking
- 6.3.9 Cutting & Grinding
- 6.3.10 Concreting & Compacting
- 6.3.11 Miscellaneous Product Groups
7 TOOL HIRE CUSTOMERS
- 7.1 INTRODUCTION
- 7.2 BUILDERS
- 7.3 PLUMBING AND HEATING CONTRACTORS
- 7.4 LOCAL AUTHORITIES AND PUBLIC BODIES
- 7.5 LARGE AND SMALL CONTRACTORS
- 7.6 MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS
- 7.7 OTHER CONTRACTORS
- 7.8 FACTORY ENGINEERS, BUYERS AND MAINTENANCE MANAGERS
- 7.9 CLEANING CONTRACTORS
- 7.10 CONSUMERS
- 7.11 EVENTS COMPANIES
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK TOOL HIRE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2007-2018 (£M)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2010-2013 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1994-2018
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1995-2018
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6 TOOL HIRE DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - KEY CHANNELS
- TABLE 7 UK TOOL HIRE MARKET 2008-2014 AT HIRE MARKET PRICES
- TABLE 8 UK TOOL HIRE MARKET FORECAST 2013-2018 AT HIRE MARKET PRICES
- CHART 9 GROWTH FORECASTS OF CONSTRUCTION SECTORS (HOUSING, EDUCATION,
OFFICES, INFRASTRUCTURE, HEALTH ETC) 2013-2017
- TABLE 10 ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES OF LEADING TOOL HIRE COMPANIES BY VALUE
- CHART 11 SHARES OF TOTAL HIRE OUTLETS BY SECTOR (MULTIPLE BRANCH
COMPANIES, BUILDERS MERCHANTS AND SMALLER HIRE COMPANIES) - 2013
- CHART 12 SHARES OF HIRE MARKET - BY SECTOR AND VALUE - MULTIPLE BRANCH
COMPANIES, BUILDERS MERCHANTS AND SMALLER HIRE COMPANIES - 2013
- CHART 13 SHARES OF HIRE MARKET BY VALUE - 2007 & 2013 - MULTIPLE BRANCH
COMPANIES, BUILDERS MERCHANTS AND SMALL HIRE COMPANIES
- CHART 14 BUILDERS MERCHANTS MARKET SHARES 2013
- TABLE 15 BUILDERS MERCHANTS SHARE OF TOTAL TOOL HIRE OUTLETS 2005-2013
- CHART 16 NUMBER AND RATE OF FATAL INJURIES TO WORKERS IN CONSTRUCTION
- TABLE 17 ESTIMATED SHARES BY TYPE OF HIRE COMPANY (PLANT, TOOL,
SPECIALISTS) BY HIRE PRODUCT SECTORS 2013
- TABLE 18 ESTIMATED HIRE PRODUCT MIX 2013 £M AT HIRE MARKET VALUE
- TABLE 19 HIRE MARKET FOR ACCESS EQUIPMENT AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2013
(INCLUDING ACCESS TOWERS, LADDERS AND LIGHT POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT)
- CHART 20 UK MARKET FOR HEATING, DRYING & COOLING 2013 AT HIRE MARKET PRICES
- TABLE 21 HIRE MARKET FOR GARDENING AND LANDSCAPING EQUIPMENT - £M AT
HIRE MARKET PRICES 2013
- CHART 22 HIRE MARKET FOR PLUMBING/PUMPING - AT 2013 HIRE MARKET PRICES -
BY PRODUCT GROUP (PUMPS, PIPE THREADERS, BENDERS, FREEZERS ETC)
- TABLE 23 HIRE MARKET FOR POWER, WELDING & LIGHTING AT HIRE MARKET PRICES
- TABLE 24 HIRE MARKET FOR BREAKING & DRILLING AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2013
- TABLE 25 HIRE MARKET FOR CLEANING AND FLOOR PREPARATION (WASHERS, FLOOR
FINISHING, CLEANERS ETC) AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2013
- CHART 26 HIRE MARKET FOR CARPENTRY & WOODWORKING (SANDERS, STAPLERS,
SCREWDRIVERS ETC) AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2013
- CHART 27 HIRE MARKET FOR CUTTING/GRINDING (DISC-CUTTERS, ANGLE-GRINDERS,
SPLITTERS, SAWS ETC) £M AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2013
- CHART 28 HIRE MARKET FOR CONCRETING/COMPACTING (PLATE COMPACTORS,
SCREEDING, CONCRETE, ROLLERS ETC) AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2013 (£M)
- TABLE 29 HIRE MARKET FOR MISCELLANEOUS PRODUCTS (LIFTING/MATERIAL
HANDLING, SURVEYING, COMPACT EQPMT ETC) £M AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2013
- TABLE 30 ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF BUILDINGS REGISTERED
FOR VAT BY TURNOVER BAND SIZE 2012
- TABLE 31 PLUMBING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING INSTALLERS REGISTERED FOR
VAT BY TURNOVER BAND 2013
- TABLE 32 TOP 20 FM SUPPORT SERVICES COMPANIES IN THE UK