Product Code: dcr6
The 8th edition of the 'Paint, Wallcoverings and Woodcare Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' incorporates both original input and primary research, and represents an up-to-date and informed review of this evolving market. The report reviews recent developments in the above product sectors in terms of market value, trends, product mix, supply, distribution and key influencing factors, as well as providing forecasts for future market size and comment on possible future developments.
Key sections covered:
- Market overview - performance in 2014/15, key influencing factors and future prospects to 2020.
- Products - sector performance, key trends, retail/trade mix, category breakdowns.
- Paint - emulsions, solvent/oil based paints, interior/exterior etc.
- Wallcoverings - vinyl, finished wallpapers and whites.
- Woodcare - interior, exterior and garden woodcare products.
- Supply and distribution - leading suppliers, market shares, distribution structure and key channels.
Key areas of insight include:
- Market share by value for overall market and key product sectors.
- Review of key market influences and trends - switch away from DIY to 'GSI' .
- Review of key product sectors and sub-sectors - growth / declining sectors.
- Changes in supply and distribution structures.
- Review of future prospects - short term prospects in 2016-17 and medium term forecasts through to 2020.
Some of the companies included:
A.S. Creation, AkzoNobel Decorative Coatings, Arthouse, Barrettine Products, Bedec Products, Belgravia Décor, Colefax Group, Craig & Rose, Crown Paints, CWV Limited, Dacrylate Paints, Farrow & Ball, Fine Décor Wallcoverings, Gainsborough Silk Weaving Company, Graham & Brown, Holden Décor, Jotun Paints, JW Ostendorf, Muraspec, Newmor Wallcoverings, Omnova Wallcovering (UK), Osborne & Little, Palace Chemicals, Plasti-Kote, Polyvine, PPG Architectural Coatings, Rasch (UK), Romo Fabrics, Sherwin Williams Company, Spencer Coatings, Speciality Coatings (Darwen), Steyport, Tor Coatings, Valspar, Valtti, Walker Greenbank.
Key areas covered in the report include:
- Market overview for paint, wallcoverings and woodcare - definition; market background; key trends.
- Market size - analysis of size by value - trends up to 2015 and prospects up to 2020.
- Review of key market influences - housing completions; non-domestic sector, property transactions; DIY/trade trends, and levels of household consumption.
- Impact of the recent recovery in UK economy, switch away from DIY etc.
- Paint - sector performance from 2010-2015 with forecasts 2016 -2020; key influencing factors; retail/trade mix, % mix by value between emulsions, solvent/oil based paints and 'others'; product mix within emulsions, solvent/oil.
- Paint - % mix by end use sector including DIY, trade domestic and trade commercial; paint effects sector; market characteristics and influencing trends; major suppliers and changes to supply structure in recent years; forecasts.
- Wallcoverings- performance from 2010-2015 with forecasts 2016 - 2020; product mix for vinyls, finished wallpapers and whites; market characteristics; recent trends within the sector and wider home decoration market; key influencing factors; major suppliers, future prospects for the sector.
- Woodcare - market performance 2010-2015 with forecasts 2016 - 2020; review of key influencing factors; trade/retail product mix, product mix for interior, exterior and garden woodcare; identification of leading suppliers of woodcare products; future prospects.
- Short term prospects 2016-17 and medium term forecasts to 2020.
SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTION
- Overview - major suppliers; product ranges; market shares.
- Analysis of leading suppliers within each product sector - share by product group, growth companies, products/market positioning.
- Distribution structure for paint, wallcoverings and woodcare - market shares by major channels - DIY, Trade Centres, Independents / Specialists, Merchants etc.
- Review of key channels - major players; growing/declining sectors; key trends. Trade and retail review.
- Future prospects for overall paint, wallcoverings and woodcare - market size forecasts; factors affecting forecast; economic factors; housing / DIY market, trends in terms of product mix, innovation and development, supply and distribution, etc.
- Key influencing factors in market - economic prospects from early 2016 onwards, housebuilding, commercial construction, trends in garden, door & window, DIY/Merchants sectors etc.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The market for paint, wallcoverings and woodcare has improved considerably since 2013/14, with consumer confidence at its highest since 2000 and reports from the home improvement sector indicating that homeowners are more motivated to expand and improve their homes than in recent years. This has resulted in growth of 3% per annum in 2014 and 2015, which can be considered reasonable for a mature market. Key drivers of demand are the rise in both new housing output and property transactions, and government commitment to improving both housing supply and access to home ownership.
Positive developments in other key areas, such as the labour market and average earnings, have also helped to increase sales of home decoration products over the last 2-3 years. In addition, market growth has been boosted by the "get someone in" or "do it for me" trend in recent years due to the recovery in incomes, a reduction in DIY skills and lack of time amongst homeowners. Climate conditions and weather also play a significant role in market developments, with sales boosted during warmer summer months but also severe winter storms resulting in increased demand for wood care products for proofing of replacement fence panels, for example. There is, however, a degree of volatility in the market, with some players obviously weathering the changes more easily than their competitors.
While all product sectors have enjoyed a rise in demand, rates of growth have varied between sectors. Paint and effects, represent the largest product segment in value terms, having increased by an estimated 12% from a low point in 2009. Key features of this market include volatile raw material costs, popularity and wider availability of designer paints, the proliferation of good quality own brand paint and expanded ranges as well as more value-added and innovative products. There is also a high level of focus on the environment and sustainability. In 2015, the UK wallcoverings sector reached its highest point in over a decade, underpinned by trends such as feature walls, with designer brands continuing to gain popularity. Sales of woodcare products has increased around 17% between 2009-2015, by value.
MMedium-term prospects for the paint, wallcoverings and woodcare market remain positive, if modest, with annual value growth of around 2-3% currently forecast to 2020. The market remains tied to the strength of the housing market, particularly the housebuilding and house moving sectors which have continued to improve in 2014-15. A key trend is the apparent reduction in the DIY skills set which is likely to lead to decrease in the number of homeowners willing to carry out DIY projects in future years. However, this is likely to be balanced by the continuation of the current trend for "get someone in/do it for me" which should lead to increased use of professional painters and decorators. Competitive pricing is likely to be a key element of the paint market in particular, as leading manufacturers and suppliers continue to compete for share. The distribution of paint, wallcoverings and woodcare is likely to experience some change into the medium-term as the trend for "get someone in" could bring focus back onto the Trade Centres / Merchants at the expense of the DIY multiples.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE
- 4.2.1 Current Situation
- 4.2.2 Future Prospects
- 4.3 MARKET TRENDS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.4.1 Housebuilding
- 4.4.2 House Moving
- 4.4.3 Number and Type of Households
- 4.4.4 Conservatories, Windows and External Doors
- 4.4.5 Garden Furniture, Fencing, Decking and Sheds
- 4.4.6 Furniture & Flooring
- 4.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE
- 4.5.1 Imports
- 4.5.2 Exports
5. PAINT MARKET
- 5.1 DEFINITION
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE
- 5.2.1 Current Situation
- 5.2.2 Future Prospects
- 5.3 TRENDS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- 5.3.1 New Product Development
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.4.1 Retail Product Mix
- 5.4.2 Trade Product Mix
- 5.4.3 Emulsion
- 5.4.4 Solvent/Oil Based/Gloss Paints
- 5.4.5 Specialist and 'Other' Paint Sectors
- 5.5 COLOUR
- 5.6 PAINT EFFECTS
- 5.7 END USE MIX
- 5.8 SUPPLIERS
- 5.8.1 Market Share Analysis
- 5.8.2 Leading Brands
- 5.8.3 Key Suppliers
6. WALLCOVERINGS MARKET
- 6.1 DEFINITION
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE
- 6.2.1 Current Situation
- 6.2.2 Future Prospects
- 6.3 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS AND TRENDS
- 6.4 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.4.1 Vinyls
- 6.4.2 Finished Wallpapers
- 6.4.3 Whites
- 6.5 END USE SECTORS
- 6.5.1 DIY
- 6.5.2 Trade Domestic
- 6.5.3 Trade Commercial
- 6.6 SUPPLIERS
- 6.6.1 Market Share Analysis
- 6.6.2 Key Suppliers
7. WOODCARE MARKET
- 7.1 DEFINITION AND MARKET SIZE
- 7.1.1 Current Situation
- 7.1.2 Future Prospects
- 7.2 PRODUCT MIX
- 7.3 APPLICATION AREAS
- 7.3.1 Interior
- 7.3.2 Exterior & Garden Woodcare
- 7.4 SUPPLIERS
- 7.4.1 Market Share Analysis
- 7.4.2 Key Suppliers
- 8.1 STRUCTURE
- 8.1.1 Trade/Commercial Sector
- 8.1.2 Retail
- 8.2 CHANNEL SHARE
- 8.3 KEY CHANNELS
- 8.3.1 DIY Multiples
- 8.3.2 Trade Centres
- 8.3.3 Independents and Specialists
- 8.3.4 Department, Variety and Furnishing Stores
- 8.3.5 Others (Builders Merchants, Internet, Direct, Mail Order, etc)
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE 2010-2020 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2011-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 UK MARKET FOR PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE 2010-2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 1
- CHART 7 HOUSEBUILDING STARTS & COMPLETIONS AND FORECASTS (GB) 2009 TO 2019 - BY VOLUME
- TABLE 8 NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) UK 2009 TO 2014 - BY VOLUME ('000S)
- TABLE 9 ENGLAND DWELLING STOCK BY TENURE ('000S) 2008-2014
- TABLE 10 UK DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY, REPLACEMENT DOORS AND WINDOWS MARKET 2009 AND 2015 - BY VOLUME & PERCENTAGE
- TABLE 11 UK MARKETS FOR DOMESTIC DECKING, FENCING*, SHEDS & GARDEN FURNITURE 2010-2015 - BY VALUE (£M) **
- CHART 12 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2010-2015 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- TABLE 13 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE 2010 TO 2015 - BY VALUE (£M)
- CHART 14 MAJOR IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE Q1-Q3 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 15 LEADING EXPORTS DESTINATIONS FOR PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE Q1 TO Q3 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 16 UK PAINT MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010-2020 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 17 UK RETAIL PRODUCT MIX FOR PAINT (EMULSIONS, GLOSS/SOLVENT AND OTHERS) 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 18 UK TRADE PRODUCT MIX FOR PAINT (EMULSIONS, GLOSS/SOLVENT AND OTHERS) 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 19 UK MARKET FOR EMULSION PAINT (MATT, SILK, MID-SOFT SHEEN, OTHERS) PRODUCT MIX 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 20 UK MARKET FOR OIL BASED PAINT (FULL GLOSS, FLAT/MATT/SATIN, EGGSHELL & OTHERS) PRODUCT MIX 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 21 UK MARKET FOR PAINT MIX BY PAINT COLOURS (WHITE, NEARLY WHITE & COLOUR) 1996, 2006 AND 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 22 UK MARKET FOR PAINT MIX BY END USE SECTOR (DIY, TRADE DOMESTIC & TRADE COMMERCIAL) 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 23 UK TRADE PAINT MARKET PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SECTOR SPLIT 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 24 UK MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR PAINT SUPPLIERS - 2015 BY VALUE
- TABLE 25 LEADING PAINT SUPPLIERS AND BRANDS 2015
- TABLE 26 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR WALLCOVERINGS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M MSP)
- CHART 27 UK MARKET FOR WALLCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 2000 TO 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 28 UK WALLCOVERINGS MARKET MIX BY END USE APPLICATION (DIY, TRADE DOMESTIC, TRADE COMMERCIAL) 2015 - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 29 MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR UK WALLCOVERINGS SUPPLIERS BY VALUE 2015
- CHART 30 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR WOODCARE 2010-2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 31 UK RETAIL MARKET FOR WOODCARE PRODUCT MIX (STAINS, VARNISHES, DYES, PRESERVERS/GARDEN ETC) 2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 32 UK TRADE MARKET FOR WOODCARE PRODUCT MIX (STAINS, VARNISHES, PRESERVERS, ETC)2015 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 33 UK MARKET FOR WOODCARE END USE APPLICATION MIX 2015 (INTERIOR, EXTERIOR, GARDEN) - % BY VALUE
- TABLE 34 LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE UK WOODCARE MARKET 2015
- CHART 35 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR PAINT, WOODCARE AND WALLCOVERINGS - TRADE/COMMERCIAL SECTORS
- CHART 36 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR PAINT, WOODCARE AND WALLCOVERINGS - RETAIL SECTOR
- TABLE 37 UK MARKET FOR PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE 2015 - % BY VALUE