Product Code: Bld7
The 12th edition of the 'Social Housing Construction & Maintenance Market Report - UK 2018-2022' represents a unique, up to date review of the market and its development. Previously focusing on housing associations, the scope of this revised edition has been expanded to cover the wider social housing sector in the UK, with a focus on both new build and RMI activity, as well as funding, supply and Government policy.
Key sections covered:
- Structure and size of the UK social housing market in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in terms of stock and tenure.
- Analysis of leading UK housing associations in terms of stock and tenure - activities and development pipelines.
- Construction output in the social housing sector for new housing, in addition to repair, maintenance and improvement expenditure.
- An in-depth analysis of Government funding and investment in the social housing sector.
- Review of housebuilding targets with estimated pipelines by leading housing associations.
Key areas of insight include:
- Review of social housing starts and completions, and social housing development pipeline over the next 4 years.
- Review of social housing RMI sector and an overview of contractor capability and experience in the sector.
- Large-scale mergers, partnerships and diversification, which have become a feature of the sector following years of funding constraints, as many housing associations are struggling to provide their core services.
- Review of funding and Government programmes, including the London Mayor's Housing Covenant 2015-18, the London Affordable Homes Programme 2016-21 and the Shared Ownership Affordable Homes Programme (SOAHP) 2016-21.
Social Housing Construction and RMI
- Public sector RMI housing output - value of expenditure 2012-2022.
- Housing associations - spending on RMI including ongoing maintenance & major repairs 2013-2022.
- Market size & mix - usage; size of stock; geographical location of stock; social housing rents.
- Buying & specification - RMI & new build frameworks.
- Social housing facilities outsourcing.
- Key contractors in the social housing RMI Sector; key social housing consortia.
- Housing association starts and completions 2012-2022. New social housing by property size and type.
- Key contractors in the social housing new build sector - contractor profiles and major projects.
Overview of Social Housing in the UK
- Social housing market size, structure and trends - value of construction output for new build and RMI 2012-2022.
- Social housing provision and management - analysis of leading UK housing associations in terms of stock and tenure, and by region - activities and development pipelines.
- Review of the key social housing new build programmes and capital grants in the UK by region.o Major review of the Government policy and reforms in the social housing sector.
- Analysis of housing association activity in the Build to Rent sector.
- Private sector funding - bank lending to housing associations; bond markets.
- Review of major Housing Associations - dwelling stock, key characteristics, regional strengths, market positioning etc. in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Social Housing Provision
- Structure and key providers.
- Key housing associations - overview, profile of key providers, major projects and expenditure.
- Housing associations - partnerships, merger and acquisition activity.
- Key housing associations regionally - England, London, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Other Social Housing
- Care homes - sector size and structure, supply and demand, future demand for places. The Extra Care sector.
- The local authority/voluntary care sector - overview and value leading providers in the voluntary sector; leading housing associations in the care sector.
- The student accommodation sector - market overview and size, development pipeline and leading providers.
The social housing sectoris diverse, with over 1,700 registered providers in the UK, varying in size from under 10 homes to more than 50,000. Of these, most are small players, but the top 100 hold larger portfolios and much of the sector's development capacity, and a series of significant mergers have taken place over the past couple of years to achieve economies of scale and greater development influence.
In 2017-18, total UK housing association stock is estimated to have increased and they now account for around 60% of social housing stock. Around 75% of market stock owned or managed by housing associations is general needs housing, which is primarily social rental accommodation.
The social housing sector is currently experiencing funding issues influenced by increased financial constraints on local authorities and social rent cuts of 1% a year from 2016-17 to 2019-20. This has led to reduced discretionary spending on maintenance and improvements by housing associations. The UK social housing market also continues to face acute supply problems, with new build levels below requirements. The Affordable Rent model is also influencing the social housing sector.
Prospects for the sector in the short-medium term remain challenging. The limited grant funding under the AHP, driven by the emphasis on the Affordable Rent investment model, has prompted Social Housing providers to seek finance and support from alternative sources, with some forming partnerships with private sector providers.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS
- 2.1 OVERVIEW
- 2.2 NEW HOUSING
- 2.3 REPAIR, MAINTENANCE & IMPROVEMENT (RMI)
3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4. OVERVIEW OF SOCIAL HOUSING IN THE UK
- 4.1 SOCIAL HOUSING MARKET - DEFINITIONS
- 4.2 SOCIAL HOUSING MARKET SIZE
- 4.3 HOUSING MARKET STRUCTURE
- 4.3.1 All Dwellings
- 4.3.2 Mix of Dwellings
- 4.4 SOCIAL HOUSING PROVISION & MANAGEMENT
- 4.4.1 England
- 4.4.2 Wales
- 4.4.3 Scotland
- 4.4.4 Northern Ireland
5. SOCIAL HOUSING RMI
- 5.1 TOTAL SPENDING ON REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE
- 5.1.1 Housing Associations - Spending on Repairs & Maintenance
- 5.1.2 Future Spending on Repairs & Maintenance
- 5.2 PUBLIC SECTOR HOUSING RMI OUTPUT
- 5.3 MARKET SIZE AND MIX
- 5.3.1 Housing Stock
- 5.3.2 Usage
- 5.3.3 Size of Stock
- 5.3.4 Geographical Location of Stock
- 5.3.5 Social Housing Rents
- 5.4 BUYING AND SPECIFICATION
- 5.4.1 Overview
- 5.4.2 Social Housing Facilities Management Outsourcing
- 5.4.3 Key Social Housing Consortia
- 5.4.4 Key Contractors in the Social Housing RMI Sector
6. SOCIAL HOUSING CONSTRUCTION
- 6.1 STARTS AND COMPLETIONS
- 6.1.1 Housing Association Starts and Completions
- 6.1.2 New Social Housing by Type
- 6.1.3 Social Housing Completions by Property Size and Type
- 6.1.4 Social Housing Development Pipeline
- 6.2 BUYING AND SPECIFICATION
- 6.2.1 New Build Frameworks
- 6.2.2 Key Contractors in the Social Housing New Build Sector
7. MARKET DRIVERS
- 7.1 ECONOMIC, SOCIAL AND DEMOGRAPHIC TRENDS
- 7.2 GOVERNMENT POLICY ON SOCIAL HOUSING & PLANNING
- 7.2.1 Repair & Maintenance Issues
- 7.2.2 Housing and Planning Act 2016
- 7.3 HOUSING AFFORDABILITY
- 7.4 LARGE SCALE VOLUNTARY TRANSFERS (LSVTS)
- 7.5 RIGHT TO BUY
- 7.5.1 Extension of Right to Buy
- 7.6 FUNDING FOR THE SOCIAL HOUSING MARKET
- 7.6.1 Funding/Policy Settlements/Announcements
- 7.6.2 Public Sector Funding - England
- 7.6.3 Public Sector Funding - Wales
- 7.6.4 Public Sector Funding - Scotland
- 7.6.5 Public Sector Funding - Northern Ireland
- 7.6.6 Private Sector Funding
8. KEY HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS
- 8.1 MARKET STRUCTURE
- 8.2 MARKET MIX OF HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS
- 8.3 KEY HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS
- 8.3.1 Market Share
- 8.3.2 Housing Associations in London
- 8.3.3 Housing Association Profiles
- 8.4 SCOTLAND - KEY HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS
- 8.5 WALES - KEY HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS
- 8.6 NORTHERN IRELAND - KEY HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS
9. OTHER SOCIAL HOUSING
- 9.1 CARE HOMES
- 9.1.1 Sector Size and Structure
- 9.1.2 Supply and Demand
- 9.1.3 The Local Authority/Voluntary Care Sector
- 9.1.4 The ExtraCare Sector
- 9.2 STUDENT ACCOMMODATION
- 9.2.1 Market Overview and Size
- 9.2.2 Student Accommodation Development Pipeline
- 9.2.3 Leading Providers of Student Accommodation
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1: UK HOUSING ASSOCIATION STOCK 2013-2022 ('000S)
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 6: VALUE OF THE SOCIAL HOUSING SECTOR - NEW BUILD AND RMI 2017 (%)
- CHART 7: HOUSING STOCK BY COUNTRY AND TENURE 2016 (%)
- TABLE 8: UK SOCIAL HOUSING - % DWELLING STOCK 2006-2016 BY TENURE - MIX BETWEEN PRP AND LA
- TABLE 9: UK HOUSING ASSOCIATION STOCK 2012-2022 ('000) AND % CHANGE
- CHART 10: HCA BUDGET BY PROGRAMME 2016 - 2021 (%)
- TABLE 11: EXPENDITURE ON HOUSING ASSOCIATION PROPERTIES - MAJOR REPAIRS, PLANNED MAINTENANCE, SERVICE COSTS: 2013-16 (£BN)
- TABLE 12: TOP 30 HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS BY TOTAL SPEND ON REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE - 2015 AND 2016 (£M)
- CHART 13: ESTIMATED TOTAL EXPENDITURE ON HOUSING ASSOCIATION RMI: 2013 -2022 (£BN)
- CHART 14: PUBLIC SECTOR HOUSING RMI OUTPUT 2013 - 2022 (£BN)
- TABLE 15: UK HOUSING ASSOCIATION STOCK 2012-2022 ('000) AND % CHANGE YEAR ON YEAR
- CHART 16: HA STOCK IN ENGLAND BY TYPE 2017 (%)
- CHART 17: ENGLAND - GENERAL NEEDS SOCIAL HOUSING STOCK BY SIZE OF DWELLING 2017 (%)
- TABLE 18: ENGLAND - REGIONAL DISTRIBUTION OF GENERAL NEEDS SOCIAL HOUSING STOCK 2017 - LARGE PRPS (%)*
- TABLE 19: ENGLAND - GENERAL NEEDS HOUSING RENTS PER REGION 2016 AND 2017 (£/WK) AND % CHANGE
- TABLE 20: TABLE 33: ENGLAND - AFFORDABLE RENT UNITS OWNED BY HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS 2012 - 2017: GENERAL NEEDS HOUSING VS. SUPPORTED HOUSING
- TABLE 21: ENGLAND - AFFORDABLE RENTS HOUSING: RENTS PER REGION 2016 AND 2017 (£/WK) AND % CHANGE: GENERAL NEEDS HOUSING
- TABLE 22: ENGLAND - GENERAL NEEDS HOUSING RENTS PER REGION 2017 (£/WK) - AFFORDABLE RENTS MODEL VS. GENERAL RENTS
- TABLE 23: TOP 30 CONTRACTORS IN THE SOCIAL HOUSING REFURBISHMENT SECTOR BY NUMBER & VALUE (£M) OF CONTRACTS AWARDED AND BY NUMBER OF UNITS - YEAR TO NOVEMBER 2017
- CHART 24: HOUSING ASSOCIATION NEW STARTS AND COMPLETIONS: UK 2012 - 2022 BY VOLUME OF DWELLINGS
- CHART 25: SOCIAL HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2016-17 BY COUNTRY (%)
- CHART 26: UK SOCIAL HOUSING COMPLETIONS 1996-2016
- TABLE 27: HOUSING ASSOCIATION COMPLETIONS BY SIZE OF DWELLING IN ENGLAND: 2012-13 TO 2016-17: ENGLAND (% OF DWELLINGS)
- TABLE 28: HCA AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROGRAMMES - TOTAL COMPLETIONS BY YEAR AND BY TENURE: 2012-2017
- TABLE 29: HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS PIPELINE FIGURES: TOP 45 HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS BY NO. AFFORDABLE UNITS DEVELOPED/APPROVED FOR THE SOAHP 2016-21 AND TOTAL NO. HOMES APPROVED/PLANNED FOR 2017-2021
- TABLE 30: TOP 30 CONTRACTORS IN THE SOCIAL HOUSING NEW BUILD SECTOR BY NUMBER & VALUE (£M) OF CONTRACTS AWARDED AND BY NUMBER OF UNITS (PROPERTIES) BUILT - YEAR TO NOVEMBER 2017
- TABLE 31: HOUSEHOLD SIZE ESTIMATES ENGLAND 2014 - 2039 ('000S)
- TABLE 32: AFFORDABILITY FACTORS UK - AVERAGE DWELLING PRICE AND EARNINGS RATIO: 2007-2017 YEAR TO SEPTEMBER
- TABLE 33: 'RIGHT TO BUY' ENGLAND: LOCAL AUTHORITY AND REGISTERED PROVIDER 2007-2017
- TABLE 34: SUMMARY OF DCLG BUDGET 2016-2020
- TABLE 35: AFFORDABLE HOMES PROGRAMME 2015-18: FUNDING AND OUTPUT BY REGION (£M)
- TABLE 36: LONDON AFFORDABLE HOMES PROGRAMME 2016-2021: TOP 10 ALLOCATIONS AND UNITS BY HOUSING ASSOCIATION (£)
- TABLE 37: SHARED OWNERSHIP AFFORDABLE HOMES PROGRAMME (SOAHP) 2016-2021: GRANT ALLOCATION BY REGION (£)
- CHART 38: WALES - SOCIAL HOUSING GRANT FUNDING (£M) 2012-2017
- TABLE 39: SCOTLAND - AFFORDABLE HOMES SUPPLY PROGRAMME (AHSP) 2017-21: ALLOCATIONS BY COUNCIL (£M)
- TABLE 40: LEADING HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS IN THE PRS/BUILD-TO-RENT SECTOR
- TABLE 41: LEADING HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS BOND ISSUANCES
- CHART 42: DISTRIBUTION SHARE OF HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS IN ENGLAND BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS 2017 (NO. OF DWELLINGS/% HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS)
- CHART 43: DISTRIBUTION OF HOUSING ASSOCIATION STOCK BY REGION - ENGLAND 2017
- TABLE 44: TOP 30 HA GROUPS IN ENGLAND BY TOTAL UNITS OWNED / MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE (%) 2017
- TABLE 45: G15 DEVELOPMENT PIPELINE 2016-2021 BY HOUSING ASSOCIATION MEMBER (NO. AND VALUE OF UNITS) (£M)
- CHART 46: PLACES FOR PEOPLE GROUP HOUSING MIX 2017
- CHART 47: CLARION GROUP HOUSING MIX 2017
- CHART 48: GENESIS H.A. HOUSING MIX 2017
- CHART 49: NOTTING HILL H.A. HOUSING MIX 2017
- CHART 50: SANCTUARY H.A. HOUSING MIX 2017
- CHART 51: LONDON & QUADRANT HOUSING MIX 2017
- TABLE 52: TOP 30 HA GROUPS IN SCOTLAND BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED (2017) - UNITS OWNED / MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE (%)
- TABLE 53: TOP HA GROUPS IN WALES BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED (2017) - UNITS OWNED / MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE (%)
- TABLE 54: TOP HA GROUPS IN N. IRELAND BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED (2017) - UNITS OWNED / MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE (%)
- TABLE 55: LONG-TERM CARE MARKET BY OWNERSHIP TYPE - NUMBER OF CARE HOMES/BED SPACE 2017
- CHART 56: NUMBER OF CARE HOME RESIDENTS 2007 - 2017 ('000)
- CHART 57: FUTURE DEMAND FOR CARE HOME PLACES - EXPECTED DEMAND VS. CURRENT ANNUAL SUPPLY: 2015-2021
- CHART 58: NURSING & RESIDENTIAL CARE HOMES BY OWNERSHIP TYPE (%): 1990-2017
- TABLE 59: LEADING 20 VOLUNTARY SECTOR PROVIDERS OF LONG-TERM* CARE BY NUMBER OF HOMES AND BED-SPACES 2016-17
- TABLE 60: TOP 15 HOUSING ASSOCIATION PROVIDERS OF EXTRACARE HOUSING
- CHART 61: ESTIMATED NUMBER OF NEW STUDENT BED SPACES BUILT PER YEAR - 2011-2021
- TABLE 62: MARKET SHARES OF LEADING PBSA OPERATORS (INCLUDING HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS) 2016-17
COUNTRIES COVERED: UK
- A2 Dominion, Anchor Trust, Aster, Bromford, Catalyst Housing, Clarion Housing Group, Devon & Cornwall H.A., Guinness Partnership, Home Group, Hyde H.A., London & Quadrant, Metropolitan
- Moat, Notting Hill Genesis, Optivo, Orbit, Peabody H.A., Places for People, Riverside, Sanctuary
- Southern, Sovereign, Stonewater, Thirteen, Wheatley