AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the third edition of
the report 'Health and Fitness Market Report - Focus on Clubs and Equipment
- UK 2014-2018 Analysis
'. The report covers the health and fitness club
sector (private and public), as well as the commercial and home fitness
Areas covered in the report include:
- HEALTH & FITNESS CLUBS MARKET - market size, key trends and
influencing factors for health and fitness provision.
- PRIVATE SECTOR - Market size and key trends, mix by in-hotel and
stand-alone, Mid and Premium sector, assessment by volume of members, volume
of clubs and revenue estimates.
- PUBLIC SECTOR - Market size and key trends, assessment of private
leisure management contractors, in-house managed and trust managed
facilities. Analysis by number of members, sites and revenue estimates.
- COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT - Market size and key trends, main
suppliers and brands, specialist suppliers, mix between CV and strength
training equipment, imports and exports, and distribution mix.
- HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT - Market size, trends, analysis of product
and distribution mix, key product trends, key suppliers and future prospects.
Despite the economic climate, the health and fitness industry has performed
relatively well in 2012-2013, but the sector is experiencing change - both in
terms of equipment used and the growth of low-budget gyms. However, growth in
the market continued to be constrained by factors such as increasing market
maturity and high levels of competition in all sectors of the market.
Specific points of interest:
- Significant changes within the private health clubs sector - growth of
- Developments in the fitness equipment sector - overview of home and
commercial equipment sectors - new product trends in 2012/13.
- Increasing competition and price pressures within the market - market
- Growth in niche market segments.
- Market forecasts in 2014 and through to 2018.
Some of the companies featured include:
Bannatyne Fitness, BodyPower Sports, Concept II Ltd, Cybex International UK
Ltd, Dave Whelan Sports, David Lloyd Leisure Group, Decathlon, DW Sports
Store, énergie Group, Escalade Sports International, Esporta Group,
Fitness First, Fitness Options, Gymworld, Icon Health & Fitness UK, JJB
Sports, Johnson Health Tech UK, Jordan Leisure Systems, Ladies Workout
Express, Life Fitness (UK), New Level UK, Nuffield Health, Powerhouse Fitness,
Precor Products, Pulse Fitness, RFE International, Sports Direct, Star Trac
Europe, Technogym UK, The Club Company, Topnotch Health & Fitness Clubs, Total
Fitness, UK Fitness Supplies, Versaclimber UK, Virgin Active, York Barbell UK.
Key areas covered in the report include:
HEALTH AND FITNESS MARKET
- Total Market Size - analysis by value 2008-2013 with forecasts for
2014-2018, key factors influencing market development e.g. increased awareness
of health & fitness, industry consolidation and economic climate. Commentary
on recent, current and likely future performance.
- Assessment of the market by private and public sector revenue,
analysis of the number of facilities in overall terms.
- Key market influences - consumer spending & confidence, increased
consumer awareness of health and fitness issues, participation rates in
sports, games & physical activities, organisations and campaigns to encourage
sports & fitness and other factors.
HEALTH & FITNESS CLUB MARKET
- Health Club Market Size - analysis by value 2008-2013 with
forecasts for 2014-2018. Recent growth rates. Analysis of revenue
source, joining fees, membership fees, ancillary incomes etc. Comment on
recent, current and likely future performance.
- Analysis of 4 key market sectors - Private Stand-alone Health
Clubs, Hotel based Health Clubs, Private and Publicly Managed Local Authority
facilities - sector shares, trends.
- Market Trends & Influencing Factors - slowdown in development of
private fitness facilities; development of niche markets; increasing
competition; growth in corporate and local authority sectors; new exercise
trends; new product development.
- Assessment of market - development of new club outlets, by membership
numbers, and by key market sector - in-hotel and stand-alone
development, independent versus chains, together with Premium, Mid-market and
Value market analysis. Growth of low-cost gyms - new operations in
market, likely future changes.
- Key operators and market shares - leading providers and brands,
private sector groups, independents, hotel chains, etc. Company profiles,
acquisitions - market consolidation.
- Future prospects 2014-2018 and opportunities for the private and
COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET
- Market Size - analysis by value 2008-2013 with forecasts for
2014-2018. Recent growth levels in the market. Commentary on recent,
current and likely future performance.
- Market Trends & Influencing Factors - influence of local authority
health and fitness sectors, development of niche markets; new exercise trends;
new product development, role of imports etc.
- Impact of Product Innovation & Equipment Upgrading - share mix
between strength and CV equipment, market drivers, future changes/trends.
- Key suppliers - leading equipment suppliers, share estimates,
sector strengths, company profiles etc.
- Future prospects and opportunities for the commercial sector.
HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET
- Market Size - analysis by value 2008-2013 with forecasts for
2014-2018. Market trends & Influencing Factors - new product development,
impact of growth of imports etc. Growth/interaction with computer/gaming
- Product Mix - shares for treadmills, bikes, multi-gyms, free
weights etc. key trends in recent years, growth sectors etc.
- Key suppliers and market shares - leading suppliers, share
estimates, sector strengths, company profiles etc. Distribution channel
analysis - growth sectors/new entrants etc.
- Future prospects and opportunities for the sector.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
The health and fitness industry has demonstrated modest growth over the past 5
years or so, mainly reflecting a difficult economic climate. It is estimated
that the UK market for health clubs including both the private and public
sector was worth £3.98bn in 2013, while the fitness equipment market,
covering both commercial and in-home applications, was worth an estimated
The performance of the fitness equipment market has largely mirrored the
performance in the health clubs market since 2008 - though there are some
notable differences. The health club market saw a significant rise in the
number of members in 2012 and new facilities with a positive, though modest,
increase in revenue value overall. Whilst membership and facility numbers
continued to increase in 2013, revenue growth remained at modest levels with
budget and local authority facilities driving growth.
Whilst some improvement in demand was achieved by interest in sport and
athletic equipment in the run up to the London 2012 Olympics and legacy events
afterwards, the troubles with an over-reached gym and fitness club market
dampened demand growth somewhat. This persisted into 2013 with on-going
restructuring in the private club segment and continuing pressures on
disposable income and the general economic climate with sales growth lower
than earlier in the decade, although sector performance was relatively good in
comparison to many other consumer products.
A positive influence on the market has been the emergence of a new health club
segment aimed at the lower end of the market - budget gyms. The rate of
development in this segment was high from 2011-2013, helping fitness equipment
revenues as many traditional operators converted some sites to budget gyms,
while newer, smaller independents and chains of budget gyms also expanded.
Health club revenue, however, has not greatly benefited from the changes as
membership prices are much lower than for traditional clubs.
Both related markets have benefited from an increased awareness of fitness as
an essential component of a healthy lifestyle, achieved through a variety of
ways including; a growth in GP and specialist referrals; an increasing focus
on sport and fitness in the media and media attention around the rise in
obesity levels, campaigns focused around getting young people active and
projects that were linked to the 2012 Olympics. In addition, product
development and the increasing integration of technology with fitness products
are stimulating market growth.
The outlook for both fitness clubs and equipment in the medium term is
positive. They are mature markets, so growth rates will be limited; however,
there is strong underlying demand for health and fitness facilities and,
therefore, fitness equipment. It is estimated that by 2018, the market for
health clubs will have reached a value of around £4.5bn, with the
fitness equipment market forecast to be worth an estimated £415m.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 STERLING
- 3.6 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.7 CONCLUSIONS
4 FITNESS EQUIPMENT
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.3 MARKET MIX
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.4.1 International Trade
- 4.4.2 Consumer Spending & Participation Levels
- 4.4.3 Funding Streams and Government Campaigns
- 4.4.4 Developments in the Commercial Health & Fitness Sector
- 4.4.5 Exercise Trends & Product Development
5 COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET
- 5.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 5.2.1 Market Size
- 5.2.2 Current Situation
- 5.2.3 Future Prospects
- 5.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.4 COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT SUPPLY
- 5.4.1 Market Share
- 5.4.2 Leading Suppliers
- 5.5 DISTRIBUTION
6 HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET
- 6.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 6.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 6.2.1 Market Size
- 6.2.2 Current Situation
- 6.2.3 Future Prospects
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.4 HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT SUPPLY
- 6.4.1 Market Share
- 6.4.2 Leading Suppliers
- 6.5 DISTRIBUTION
- 6.5.1 Distribution Channel Mix
- 6.5.2 Leading Distribution Channels
7 HEALTH AND FITNESS CLUBS
- 7.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 7.2 MARKET STRUCTURE
- 7.3 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS
- 7.3.1 Overview
- 7.3.2 Current Situation
- 7.3.3 Future Prospects
- 7.4 MARKET MIX
- 7.5 THE PRIVATE HEALTH CLUB MARKET
- 7.5.1 Market Review
- 7.5.2 Market Shares and Company Profiles
- 7.5.3 Key Market Segments
- 7.6 LOCAL AUTHORITY MARKET~
- 7.6.1 Market Review
- 7.6.2 Market Shares and Company Profiles
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 FITNESS EQUIPMENT AND HEALTH & FITNESS CLUBS - UK MARKET SIZE AND
FORECASTS 2008-2018 (£M)
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2010-2013 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1994-2018
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1995-2018
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- TABLE 6 UK FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2008 TO 2018
(£M AT MSP)
- CHART 7 FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET MIX 2013 - COMMERCIAL AND HOME FITNESS -
% BY VALUE
- TABLE 8 GENERAL PHYSICAL EXERCISE, GYMNASTICS & RESISTANCE EQUIPMENT -
IMPORTS/EXPORTS - 2008 - 2013 BY VALUE (£M)
- CHART 9 TOP 10 COUNTRIES OF ORIGIN FOR FITNESS EQUIPMENT 2013 (£M)
- TABLE 10 CONSUMER SPEND ON SPORTING & RECREATIONAL SERVICES UK 2002-2013 -
BY VALUE (£M) AT CONSTANT PRICES (BASE YEAR 2010)
- TABLE 11 UK COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2008 -
2018 (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 12 UK COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET - PRODUCT MIX 2013 BY
VALUE (%) - CV, STRENGTH/RESISTANCE, ACCESSORIES
- CHART 13 LEADING SUPPLIERS OF COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT - MARKET SHARE
BY VALUE 2013 (%)
- TABLE 14 LEADING SUPPLIERS OF FITNESS EQUIPMENT IN THE UK COMMERCIAL
FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET 2013
- TABLE 15 UK HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2008 TO 2018
- CHART 16 PRODUCT MIX IN THE HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET - BY VALUE 2013
(%) - TREADMILLS, BIKES, MULTI-GYMS, FREE WEIGHTS, OTHER AEROBIC, ACCESSORIES
- TABLE 17 UK HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT - SUPPLIER MARKET SHARE ESTIMATES 2013
- TABLE 18 LEADING SUPPLIERS OF FITNESS EQUIPMENT IN THE UK HOME FITNESS
EQUIPMENT MARKET 2013
- CHART 19 HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT DISTRIBUTION MIX 2013 - % BY VALUE (MAIL
ORDER/CAT./INTERNET, SPECIALISTS, DEPT STORES/GROCERY, GENERAL SPORTS ETC)
- TABLE 20 UK HEALTH & FITNESS CLUB MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2008 TO 2018 -
BY VALUE (£BN)
- CHART 21 MARKET MIX BY NUMBER OF CLUBS - PUBLIC/PRIVATE - 2013 (%)
- CHART 22 UK PRIVATE HEALTH CLUB MARKET -2008- 2018 (£BN)
- CHART 23 HEALTH & FITNESS CLUBS REVENUE SOURCE - 2008 - 2014 (%)
- CHART 24 MIX OF PRIVATE SECTOR HEALTH CLUBS - BY TYPE 2013 (%) -
INDEPENDENT SINGLE SITES, CHAINS
- CHART 25 PRIVATE HEALTH CLUB SECTOR - LEADING OPERATORS MARKET SHARES 2013
- TABLE 26 LEADING PRIVATE HEALTH & FITNESS CLUB BRANDS/ OPERATORS BY NUMBER
OF FACILITIES 2011
- TABLE 27 LEADING UK BUDGET GYM OPERATORS 2013 - NO. OF CLUBS AND
- TABLE 28 LEADING PRIVATE HEALTH & FITNESS CLUB BRANDS/ OPERATORS 2013
- CHART 29 UK LOCAL AUTHORITY SECTOR FITNESS MARKET -2008- 2018 (£BN)
- CHART 30 MANAGEMENT OF PUBLIC SECTOR FITNESS CLUBS - IN-HOUSE, LEISURE
TRUST, LEISURE MANAGEMENT CONTRACTOR - 2013 (%)
- TABLE 31 LEADING PUBLIC SECTOR HEALTH & FITNESS CLUB BRANDS/OPERATORS 2013